Catch Wrestling United

Why was catch so dangerous? Did people like, just not tap at all?

The National Collegiate Athletic Association stepped up and revised and modernized the rules of the game to such an extent that there is now practically no danger to the growing boy in wrestling".

- from "Modern Wrestling For High School And College".
Hahah... fat chance of that.

Most holds were used to wear down or coax a pin, which was the object in the amateurs. Standing or turtled holds done in a way to force tge opponent to their back to alleviate pressure / pain.

Ok so people in those positions didn't want to tap, and didn't want to go to their backs, and thus got injured? Was conceding defeat via tap considered a worse way to lose than via pin?

Late 1920's. Iowa coach and usa wrestling coach hugo otopalik wrote the following in 1930 regarding rule changes made by the AAU and NCAA.

"Six Years ago catch-as-catch-can wrestling was an entirely different sort of affair. The men would mix a choke hold with a hook-scissors [Back Body Triangle - KJ] around the body that would put one of them out for a matter of hours or even days ... the sport was too brutal and we needed a transition. All strangle holds were barred and such bone breaking holds as the full nelson, toe-holds, and twisting arm locks met their doom. The AAU soon took a hand in seeing that more rules were set up. The National Collegiate Athletic Association stepped up and revised and modernized the rules of the game to such an extent that there is now practically no danger to the growing boy in wrestling".

- from "Modern Wrestling For High School And College".

Thanks. What about catch in Britian? Did the sport more or less die off?

Thanks. What about catch in Britian? Did the sport more or less die off?

Legitimate public pro matches generally stopped happening not long after world war 2 had ended. Wrestling ceased in schools around the same time or earlier.

Legit Pro Wrestling has held a couple of successful events in the North, the most recent happening this past weekend. The 'world' heavyweight title match ended in a draw after 3 x 12 minute rounds.

Legit Pro Wrestling has held a couple of successful events in the North, the most recent happening this past weekend. The 'world' heavyweight title match ended in a draw after 3 x 12 minute rounds.

I am a fan of what Legit Pro Wrestling is doing. Hopefully, more organizations will pop up in a similar fashion in the future.

Why was catch so dangerous? Did people like, just not tap at all?

I imagine part of it is because when you wrestle, its not just for yourself, everyone else is relying on you too. So if your opponent scores a fall, thatle cost your team more than 'merely' losing by points.

From that perspective, tweaking techniques to cause more pain is not simply a question of good strategy, but infact is a sort of kindness; to encourrage your opponent to concede without having to go all the way and cripple him.

Legitimate public pro matches generally stopped happening not long after world war 2 had ended. Wrestling ceased in schools around the same time or earlier.

Damn, wish they were in the US!

Are there any similar organizations to your knowledge, besides FICW and Snake Pit USA (who as far as I know, don't host official tournaments but maybe I'm wrong)?

Damn, wish they were in the US!

Are there any similar organizations to your knowledge, besides FICW and Snake Pit USA (who as far as I know, don't host official tournaments but maybe I'm wrong)?

There are some smaller tournaments scattered throughout the midwest and east coast, that will pop up time to time. Josh Barnett has also hosted a couple CACC tournaments in California. In comparison to 5 years ago, tournaments are becoming more and more readily available. But compared to other grappling tournaments in the states, CACC still has some growing to do. I do think that there will be brighter days ahead though.

does anyone know if this guy has legitimate catch experience? iv asked him about his credentials and tournament experience he was vague.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iALVC9Gkx_s

Martin's a good guy. He went to the last couple of camps Billy Robinson did before he passed, and the 2 Wade Scales camps hosting the most recent uk one.

He's also the MC for the Legit Pro Wrestling promotion.

He's not the most experienced catch coach but wouldn't admit to, and his main focus is on his family than coaching or competing. I won't reveal any more than that since it's a personal matter down to him to reveal more if he wants to.

Does anybody think 2-time D1 ncaa heavy weight champ Tony Nelson would do really good at a Grappling tournament?He has been training with Josh Barnett some.

Does anybody think 2-time D1 ncaa heavy weight champ Tony Nelson would do really good at a Grappling tournament?He has been training with Josh Barnett some.

No idea. But I'd watch if there was video of him submission grappling.

Martin's a good guy. He went to the last couple of camps Billy Robinson did before he passed, and the 2 Wade Scales camps hosting the most recent uk one.

He's also the MC for the Legit Pro Wrestling promotion.

He's not the most experienced catch coach but wouldn't admit to, and his main focus is on his family than coaching or competing. I won't reveal any more than that since it's a personal matter down to him to reveal more if he wants to.

I see. I actually know about him from sword fighting activities . His marketing is also unorthodox for a wrestler.

I where is the place eto learn catch in the uk? Still snake pit? ?

I see. I actually know about him from sword fighting activities . His marketing is also unorthodox for a wrestler.

I where is the place eto learn catch in the uk? Still snake pit? ?

Snake Pit or one of their affiliate clubs depending on where you are at.

We held another test tournament for the California Catch Wrestling Association on the 20th. Great turn out and another step towards getting a whole season of tournaments going for next year.

Thank you all who came out and got on the mats this Sunday! It was a great turn out with a lot of great matches and great competitive spirit shown by all.

We really appreciate the support and look forward to see you all again at the next tournaments.

Winners for their respective divisions are as follows:
Light Women: Adelita McGrath - Team Thunder
Heavy Women: Vanessa Flanders - PKG
Light Men: Luis Quinones - 10th Planet HQ
Welterweight Men: Javier Garcia - CSW
Middleweight Men: Justin Shin - Brea Wrestling Club
Light Heavyweight Men: Bryan Clavacilla - CSW
Heavyweight Men: Erik Hammer - CSW

Back