ANNIHILATION from Ex Machina Writer/Director (87% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen ANNIHILATION, how would you rate it?

• Total voters

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: October 31, 2014

Alex Garland to Write and Direct Sci-Fi Horror ANNIHILATION

FPTJqO1.jpg

Paramount’s moving forward on its thriller Annihilation, tapping Ex Machina writer-director Alex Garland to adapt the script and direct the project.

The studio and Scott Rudin acquired movie rights to Jeff VanderMeer’s “The Southern Reach” trilogy last year. The first book, Annihilation, was published in March. It was followed by Authority in May and Acceptance in September.

Rudin and Eli Bush are producing Annihilation, which centers on a biologist seeking answers about her husband’s disappearance in an enivironmental disaster areas sealed off by the government for the last 30 years.

Garland made his directorial debut on Ex Machina, which stars Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson and Alicia Vikander. Garland wrote the screenplay for Ex Machina. His writing credits also include 28 Days Later, Dredd and Sunshine.

‘Annihilation’ Movie Gains Momentum at Paramount with Alex Garland (Exclusive)

Update: May 7, 2015

Natalie Portman to Star in Post-Apocalyptic Horror Pic ANNIHILATION

hmS4k4X.jpg

Natalie Portman is in early negotiations to star in Annihilation, a post-apocalyptic horror adventure feature that Alex Garland is directing for Paramount as his follow-up to Ex Machina. Scott Rudin is producing the project, which is an adaptation of a book by Jeff VanderMeer.

The story follows a biologist, to be played by Portman, as she embarks on a four-person expedition into Area X, a territory cut off from civilization. While there, she must deal with a mysterious contamination, disappearing colleagues, a deadly animal and a being known as the Crawler, all while searching for clues regarding her husband’s disappearance.

Garland wrote the script, adapted from VanderMeer's book, which hit stores in February 2014 and is the first in a trilogy. Garland, who wrote 28 Days Later and The Beach, has been in high demand lately thanks to the surprise success of Ex Machina.

Natalie Portman in Talks for Alex Garland's Post-Apocalyptic Horror Film

Update: November 10, 2015

Gina Rodriguez Joins Natalie Portman in Sci-Fi Film ANNIHILATION

xMKVtwg.jpg

Golden Globe winner Gina Rodriguez (Jane the Virgin) is in talks to star alongside Natalie Portman in Paramount’s sci-fi movie “Annihilation,” which hails from Ex Machina director Alex Garland, an individual with knowledge of the project has told TheWrap.

Scott Rudin is producing the adaptation of Jeff VanderMeer’s novel, which follows a group of women who take on a dangerous mission where the laws of nature don’t apply. The group consists of an anthropologist; a surveyor; a psychologist who serves as the group’s de facto leader; and a biologist, who serves as the narrator.

Portman is expected to play the biologist, while her fellow Oscar winner Frances McDormand is in contention for one of the other leads, according to insiders. Production is slated to start in the spring, when Rodriguez is on hiatus from The CW’s hit series Jane the Virgin, for which she won a Golden Globe.

Rodriguez recently wrapped Peter Berg‘s action drama Deepwater Horizon with Mark Wahlberg, and she has also been in contention for a key role in Rian Johnson‘s Star Wars: Episode VIII.

Gina Rodriguez in Talks to Join Natalie Portman in Sci-Fi Movie ‘Annihilation’ (Exclusive)

Update: January 5, 2016

CREED Star Tessa Thompson Joins Alex Garland's ANNIHILATION

swj3RuM.jpg

Alex Garland‘s next feature film is shaping up to have a cast as good as his last one did — and that’s really saying something, considering Ex Machina starred Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson, and Alicia Vikander. His new project Annihilation already has Natalie Portman and Gina Rodriguez in place, and now it’s looking to bring Creed breakout Tessa Thompson into the fold as well.

TheWrap reports Thompson is in early talks for Annihilation, which shoots this spring. Based on the novel by Jeff VanderMeer, the sci-fi pic follows a group of women who take on a dangerous mission where the laws of nature don’t apply. Portman plays the narrator, a biologist. Other characters include an anthropologist, a surveyor, and a psychologist.

Thompson’s been kicking around Hollywood for about a decade now, working steadily on shows like Veronica Mars, Hidden Palms, 666 Park Avenue, and Copper, and films like When a Stranger Calls and For Colored Girls. But her career’s really started to take off in the past couple of years. She made a splash in 2014’s Dear White People, appeared in the star-studded Selma that same year, and then had her biggest mainstream hit yet last year with Creed.

And you can expect she’ll continue to blow up. Thompson will next be seen in HBO’s Westworld, and she also has a role in War on Everyone, the upcoming comedy from The Guard and Calvary director John Michael McDonagh. Not to mention we can probably expect her back for any Creed sequels that may or may not be planned for the future.

Alex Garland’s Sci-Fi Film ‘Annihilation’ Eyes ‘Creed’ Star Tessa Thompson

Update: February 10, 2016

Jennifer Jason Leigh to Join Alex Garland's ANNIHILATION

HORxBuW.jpg

Fresh off her first Oscar nomination for The Hateful Eight, Jennifer Jason Leigh is in early talks to join Natalie Portman, Gina Rodriguez and Tessa Thompson in Alex Garland‘s Annihilation, multiple individuals familiar with the Paramount project have told TheWrap.

Scott Rudin is producing the adaptation of Jeff VanderMeer’s novel, which follows a group of women who take on a dangerous mission where the laws of nature don’t apply. The group consists of an anthropologist, a surveyor, a psychologist who serves as the group’s de facto leader, and a biologist, who serves as the narrator.

There’s no deal in place yet for Leigh, though she does have the offer and appears eager to join the all-female ensemble after working with an all-male ensemble on The Hateful Eight. It is believed that Leigh is up for the psychologist role in the sci-fi pic.

The actress is in the midst of a career renaissance thanks to her acclaimed voice work in Charlie Kaufman‘s Anomalisa and her bloody-good turn as Daisy Domergue in The Hateful Eight. She next stars alongside Bella Thorne in Amityville: The Awakening, and she’s also playing Lady Bird Johnson opposite Woody Harrelson in Rob Reiner‘s political drama LBJ. Leigh is also gearing up to shoot David Lynch‘s new Twin Peaks series.

Jennifer Jason Leigh in Talks to Join Natalie Portman in Sci-Fi Movie ‘Annihilation’ (Exclusive)

So the lead actors are

A Jew, a Latina, a black woman, and a white woman

Sounds like the lead in to a "walk into a bar" joke. Sounds cool, I'll probably check out the teaser trailer when it comes out and get hype. Premise reminds me of Stalker and I loved that movie and the game so maybe I'll like this.

So the lead actors are

Sounds like the lead in to a "walk into a bar" joke. Sounds cool, I'll probably check out the teaser trailer when it comes out and get hype. Premise reminds me of Stalker and I loved that movie and the game so maybe I'll like this.

I count two Jews.

I love all the screenplays Garland has written, and this looks promising. I like the Creed actress and Jennifer Jason Leigh, but NatPort and MRod are TERRIBLE actresses. They ruin every movie theyre in. Portman hasnt put in a good performance since Leon.

I love all the screenplays Garland has written, and this looks promising. I like the Creed actress and Jennifer Jason Leigh, but NatPort and MRod are TERRIBLE actresses. They ruin every movie theyre in. Portman hasnt put in a good performance since Leon.
no not michelle rodriguez. i agree she sucks

I disagree with Natalie Portman. I instantly thought of 3 movies she was good in. Black Swan,V for Vendetta, and that movie where she gets pregnant and lives in Walmart. Im sure there's more but I'm seconds away from falling asleep..

Gina Rodriguez, not Michelle Rodriguez.

So the lead actors are

Wow, I'm also a huge STALKER fan and I never thought of that until you mentioned it. It'd be cool to see that property get a live action treatment (or even a proper sequel) someday.

After Ex-Machina I'm down for anything Garland does. Hopefully this one turns out as well.

Update: March 30, 2016

Oscar Isaac Reteams with EX MACHINA Director for ANNIHILATION

hvEg8BR.jpg

Star Wars: The Force Awakens star Oscar Isaac is officially on board Alex Garland’s Annihilation. Isaac joins Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Gina Rodriguez, and Tessa Thompson in the forthcoming sci-fi thriller. Garland is set to direct his own script, adapted from the first novel of the ‘Southern Reach’ trilogy by science fiction author Jeff VanderMeer.

The story centers around a biologist (Portman) who, in seeking answers to her husband’s tragic disappearance volunteers for a government expedition into an area sealed off as an environmental disaster zone. What she discovers, however, is pristine wilderness, and a mysterious dark force within it.

Annihilation re-teams Isaac with Garland after their wildly successful collaboration in last summer’s Ex Machina. The film, which was Garland’s directorial debut, was well-received with audiences and received rave reviews from critics.

Isaac will next be seen in Bryan Singer’s X-Men: Apocalypse and alongside Christian Bale in The Promise. In 2017, he’ll reprise his role as Poe Dameron in Star Wars: Episode VIII.

Oscar Isaac Reteams with 'Ex Machina' Director Alex Garland for 'Annihilation' (Exclusive)

Update: July 8, 2016

Gorgeous ANNIHILATION Set Photos Tease Alex Garland’s EX MACHINA Follow-Up

Writer/director Alex Garland assembled a top-notch cast for Annihilation led by Natalie Portman, with Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tessa Thompson (Creed), Gina Rodriguez (Jane the Virgin), and Oscar Isaac rounding out the ensemble. As filming is starting to wrap up, the cast members and cinematographer Rob Hardy—who also shot Ex Machina—have shared a number of set photos teasing some absolutely gorgeous locations.

The story of Annihilation follows the expedition of four women who are sent into the mysterious “Area X”, a portion of land in the United States that has been secretly quarantined due to abnormal activity. They are the twelfth expedition sent into Area X on behalf of the mysterious Southern Reach organization. The second expedition ended in mass suicide, the third in a hail of gunfire as the members turned on one another, and the eleventh expedition returned as shells of their former selves, all dying of cancer shortly after coming back.

Gorgeous ‘Annihilation’ Set Photos Tease Alex Garland’s ‘Ex Machina’ Follow-Up

So the lead actors are

This film is secretly another Ghostbusters reboot.

Back