UMA R-9 Headgear

Thats the new r9x. People are so worried about not having enough padding on the original r9. Which imo is dumb because having a low profile but protective headgear is the best option. The original r9 is the best imo.

People attribute protection with padding, so they should invest into a wes welker like helmet. And if dont know who wes welker is google him up. Thats whats extra padding gets you.
How would you say it protects long noses? Mine protrudes pretty far. The reason I liked the larger ears is because it looks like the older headgear fighters from the 60-70s used.

Thats the new r9x. People are so worried about not having enough padding on the original r9. Which imo is dumb because having a low profile but protective headgear is the best option. The original r9 is the best imo.

People attribute protection with padding, so they should invest into a wes welker like helmet. And if dont know who wes welker is google him up. Thats whats extra padding gets you.

Hey Strat,

I actually designed the r9x based on my fighting style.

I am a southpaw and the way I box sometimes leaves me open to hooks, in particular the lead hook from an orthodox. The ear guards were designed so that I can work (and make mistakes) while not being beaten for them.

Last edited:
Hey Strat,

I actually designed the r9x based on *my* fighting style.

I am a southpaw and the way I box sometimes leaves me open to hooks, in particular the lead hook from an orthodox. The ear guards were designed so that I can work (and make mistakes) while not being beaten for them.
I figured it was yours! Seems like something you would like. Good looks man, i do think the ears are too huge though. Id have to slip even more just to make sure the ear gaurds dont get caught by the punch mid slip.

Hey Strat,

I did think about you when I saw the padding in the back of the head.

Hey Strat,

Thats awesome mega, why didnt they title it after you though? MH or something. Something you want much like rodrigo has his RT glove. Thats where i had the problem/issue. With all that extra padding its basically an entirely new headgear. Not descreditting your design, but its not my design but the model is still under mine. Thats where i had the issue. personally i just dont like attaching my name to stuff if i didnt have any say in it. Ill talk to the uma guys about that.

Thats awesome mega, why didnt they title it after you though? MH or something. Something you want much like rodrigo has his RT glove. Thats where i had the problem/issue. With all that extra padding its basically an entirely new headgear. Not descreditting your design, but its not my design but the model is still under mine. Thats where i had the issue. personally i just dont like attaching my name to stuff if i didnt have any say in it. Ill talk to the uma guys about that.

I took no offense brother, to each their own. I'm not looking for recognition or anything, but we never discussed a title or name for it. If you talk to them I definitely do not want it name after MEGAhorse or MH. If anything I prefer MK-85

I did think about you when I saw the padding in the back of the head.

thank you for thinking about me.
exn1okqug2vx7cggkmrz.png

I figured it was yours! Seems like something you would like. Good looks man, i do think the ears are too huge though. Id have to slip even more just to make sure the ear gaurds dont get caught by the punch mid slip.

to each their own i guess.

You could always go godfather with it and call it "horse's head" gear.

I took no offense brother, to each their own. I'm not looking for recognition or anything, but we never discussed a title or name for it. If you talk to them I definitely do not want it name after MEGAhorse or MH. If anything I prefer MK-85

np bro, I will push for MK-85; Mortal Kombat 85 :D

yeah after you test it please provide a review as well. Interested seeing how the changes effect the headgear. I assume a decent amount of weight added. I'm thinking its going to weigh 14-16oz

Hey guys sorry for the huge post. I thought it best to post here instead of new thread.

Tl:dr some personal preference issues but would buy again.

So I pulled the trigger on a STOCK R-9 and have an initial reaction for you plus a couple responses from UMA. I'll be going in order of my "discoveries" lol.

So first I ordered this head gear Sunday, was quoted 2 days max to ship and 4-5 days delivery. It shipped From Pakistan Tuesday I believe at was at my door in the States Friday afternoon! Very fast! Very pleased with that!

When I opened the package it was shipped in I was almost knocked my ass from the smell. It smelled just just like one of those huge permanent markers, and honestly gave me a headache right then and there. (UMAs response was "fresh made leather should smell the way your gear is smelling." And to air it out). While I can't say UMA is wrong, I don't tan or dye leather or ever seen it done then immediately taken a whiff, I can say my Cleto Reyes while they smell super strong and I'm not found if that either it is a more leather-y smell not so much chemical. When I reupholstered my classic car in a new all leather and suede interior again it didn't smell like this. New leather belts, gun holsters, hats (no I'm not from Texas lol) and other gloves and gear from other custom makers didn't smell like this. Last thing I'll say about that airing it out a couple days it's gotten much better but putting it on since its on my face it still the first thing you notice.

But good news the second thing you notice once it's on is how extremely light this head gear is! I weighed mine at 11oz. When side by side with my face saver from another custom gear maker (that one is 19.5oz). The look almost the same size which was concerning before I tried the R-9 on. The R-9 feels like how I imagine the mask feels in The Mask (Jim Carey, Cameron Diaz, great movie haha). It really melts into your face and you don't really feel it after that. Much much nicer than my facesaver in that regard which feels like I have a football helmet on and get tagged with everything that should miss by a mile. (Rightfully so UMA is proud of this)

Next was sizing this thing. Now I could just be an idiot. That would be a fair assessment I guess. But I had a much harder time getting the laces in the back to be tight while still keeping the cheek protectors close. The top of the head gear was a snap (I did have a small gripe with the loops the laces go through but I'll hit that next). But those damn back of the head laces, I ordered a large being on the upper end of the medium with a 23.5in noggin, I figured I'd have the separation issue with the smaller head gear not the bigger one but I ended up using almost all of the laces and a fair chunk of time getting it right. (UMA says this is why they do lace-ups as everyone's head is different and laces offer the most customizability. -You can't argue with that)

Back the the loops at the top of the head gear for the laces. Man those are STIFF! Now it's purely a comfort thing but those against my head are not comfortable. They actually made me wonder if they are leather, they seem more plastic-y. Which leads me to my next gripe, the leather used on the whole of the headgear is putting it gently not my favorite. It is very stiff very plastic-y feeling. I had to ask UMA to make sure the stock head gear was indeed supposed to be leather just to be sure I wasn't unfairly criticizing it. It is supposed to be leather. But handling it it just feels more faux leather p-leather like. It crackles and creases when you drag your thumb across instead of a round indent not unlike a wave when I do the same to my other gear. ( UMA states this leather behaves this way because it is dyed "shiny" as that is very popular with UMA customers. If I wanted it more "dull" -and more soft?- I could custom order it that way next time. As for the "shiny" description I have disagree as my head gear is actually pretty flat in color.)

Enough Debbie downer. Back to the good stuff. The vision is great! Very wide field of view. The cheek protectors while extended out for great nose protection do not interfere with vision down low. And while the forehead has a fair amount of padding that also doesn't get in the way at all if you have to look up, is your short, or ducking under. And as I said the profile is unreal. For looking as big as a facesaver side by side this thing sits so close to your face and is so light it's like it's not even there. Everything else a side these features make this head gear great.

I have a couple QC issues with my head gear they are all on the right side and to me are not a big deal but others might feel different.
1. There is a stray stitch on the ear guard
2. There is a stray blob of blue dye on the bottom of the right cheek protector
3. The right ear guard has some extra plastic film/under fabric exposed from beneath the leather shell in a couple spots
4. Maybe not a defect but the ear guard bars on both sides the foam seem to be wrapped in plastic under the leather and make an annoying crackle sound.

So while the review might seem super negative the nature of the beast is bad things seem to be heard louder then good.

However I would buy this head gear again no question if these where the only issues with it. Because none of these things effect the function and are really only personal preference when it comes down to it. And the functional aspects are top notch. Would I get a custom R-9? From this experience prob not but I'm a solid black headgear kinda guy anyway. But if I owned a gym, which is the dream lol, I wouldn't hesitate to outfit the whole thing with stock R-9s.

Edit: I do most posting from my phone but my photos are too large a file to post, I don't have a photo bucket so kudos to anyone who can help me out posting pics

Last edited:
Back