Behind the Curtain - shoot interviews, podcasts, book stories, urban legends

Article about Johnny Rodz.

http://deadspin.com/the-profane-tea...ource=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I’m standing in Gleason’s Gym in Brooklyn, New York, a place Ali and Jake LaMotta trained in decades ago, and Johnny Rodz is giving me shit because I told him I like The Wrestler.

“Is that what you really think wrestling is?” I’m repeatedly asked in a condescending tone.

I tell him I like the work of the film’s director, Darren Aronofsky, and that it seemed, at least to an outsider like me, to be a fairly accurate depiction of what life as a pro wrestler is really like. Its scenes certainly felt more authentic than anything I’d seen in Hoosiers or Any Given Sunday. Rodz agrees with these points, but he didn’t like the scene in which Mickey Rourke’s character, Randy the Ram, is shown taking steroids. “I don’t give a fuck about Aronofsky,” is how he concludes a 40-minute conversation about the movie.

If there’s anyone who should know what wrestling is really like, it’s Johnny Rodz. He’s a WWE Hall of Famer who has been in the ring with the likes of Andre the Giant and Roddy Piper, and was, to hear him tell it, instrumental in their rise to superstardom. Since retiring from the sport, he’s become a well-respected trainer whose past students include S.D. Jones, Taz, Tommy Dreamer, Matt Striker, and the Dudley Boyz.

That’s why I’m at Gleason’s, the place where Rodz runs his wrestling school. I want to learn what a wannabe WWE star has to go through before he can even think about oiling up and strutting into the ring in front of thousands rabid fans. I want to know where wrestlers come from, and I want to know who fine-tunes their skills. Other sports have AAU teams, high school powerhouses, and big-time college programs acting as a pipeline, but wrestling has people like Johnny Rodz, a 74-year-old man running a wrestling school out of a tiny office in a dingy gym.

Really enjoying this shoot - the Genius dropping knowledge

Smart man, great lessons for all the young people in this day and age about money and finances.

Also, the Bigelow story is completely true as Ted DiBiase spoke about this on Cabana's podcast a few years ago.

Bruno is called lazy because he never worked more than 4 times a month max. Nobody has an all time great Bruno match but everyone who followed that era knows about Flair vs Funk, Flair vs Dusty, Flair vs Steamboat etc.

Table for three with edge Christian and foley is good

Lol foley takes out his fake teeth "we aren't gonna lose subscribers right "

david shoemaker is back with his own podcast for those of you interested.

Just started listening to the Jericho podcast with rollins.

Me and GF watched the Ressurection of Jake the Snake over the last couple of nights. It was great and brought about a new drinking game. Drink every time Jake starts crying!

I'm sure it's been posted but I don't feel like looking. Konnans podcast is the best out there. I also enjoy vince russos podcast.

Are there any Miz shoots where he explains what pagan ritual he performed to land Maryse? Asking for a friend.

Are there any Miz shoots where he explains what pagan ritual he performed to land Maryse? Asking for a friend.
It's the same ritual he performed to be WWE champ for 6 months and beat Cena in the main event of WM.

I think beating Cena at WM is magnitudes more difficult than landing Maryse. I'm talking a virgin sacrifice level feat.
Maryse's milf body is evidence of Miz promising a first born for McMahon to live another 20 years.

Wrestling will live just as long, since it did survive a Miz headlined WM.

This is a long listen but a well told story and legitimately the funniest thing that I have heard all day.
Brian Gerwitz tells the rare story of a non-wrestler getting taken to "wrestler's court" with Edge and Christian.

Just watched a Buff Bagwell shoot from when he got fired from WWF in 2001 after a cup of coffee. Tells different stories / versions (i.e. talking shit somewhere) to what he did on the Austin podcast (which has gone a bit downhill itself).

Just watched a Buff Bagwell shoot from when he got fired from WWF in 2001 after a cup of coffee. Tells different stories / versions (i.e. talking shit somewhere) to what he did on the Austin podcast (which has gone a bit downhill itself).
Are you talking about the shoot he did with Nigel McGuinness last year? It was surprisingly really good.

Back