Difference Between Fairtex Models (BGV1 vs BGV9 vs BGV14)

big815

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at getting a new pair of gloves for boxing padwork and heavy bag work. I weigh 185lbs and want a glove that allows me to easily make a solid fist, which is why I'm looking at some fairtex's.

I'm just a bit confused with their range though, which one would be most suitable to my needs?

Cheers

BGV1 : Standard Fairtex bread and butter, short cuff good for muay thai clinching, softer padding, good for all purpose.

BGV9 : Harder padding, not quite suitable for sparring, closer to mexican profile, long cuff.

BGV14: Basically the BGV9 with synthetic leather.

They are all good, but if you are a boxer(Not Muay thai guy) and can take denser padding, not looking to spar with them, you may want to give the BGV9 a go.

Thank, just a couple follow up questions.

1. For someone with larger hands, would 12oz gloves be too tight of a fit with handwraps (BGV9/14 models)? Should I go for 14oz instead?
2. How has the synthetic microfibre material been received? I can get the BGV14 for pretty cheap.

+1 for iFossil reply.

For larger hands I would go with the 14 oz. As for leather or synthetic, it's up to your preference. I, on my part have no problem with synthetic gloves. And if you get them, you will be able to update us on them

Hi, I'm looking at getting a new pair of gloves for boxing padwork and heavy bag work. I weigh 185lbs and want a glove that allows me to easily make a solid fist, which is why I'm looking at some fairtex's.

I'm just a bit confused with their range though, which one would be most suitable to my needs?

Cheers

The other gentlemen gave some good advice but I would also like to recomend the Fairtex BGL3 model. I have the Velcro version but I hear the lace up model is much better. And yes I would recomend 14 oz at least. unless your buying the pro fight models BGL6.

Last edited:
My only issue is synthetic don't breath unless they got like a full open air palm, like your hand are wearing sweat suit or wrapped around with tons of cotton in hot summer. I used to think yeh, your hands get hot and sweaty if you train hard anyway, but no, they are really significant. Synthetic are supposedly easier to clean though.

If you ask me I will go BGV9 > 14 anyday if I can only pick one, if you want the best you have to pay more, however if you are not that serious about training and might quit any day, go for 14.

Last edited:
The padding is thicker on the bgv 9(newest model) vs the bgv1. They also need more time to break in.

If you want to get some nice allround gloves get the fairtex bgl1 lace up gloves. I have just recently bought a pair in 14 oz. awesome profile, balance, padding and thumb. They are one of my top choices for bagwork and pads, quality gloves.

Last edited:
Alright thanks for the heads up fellas. There is a martial arts store thats not too far off, I'm going to drive down and suss out the BGV1 and BGV9 in person to what fits and what doesn't. Will report back soon.

For what it's worth, I got the BGV14s a while back (in 14 oz) and my hands do sweat like a mother in those things. (To be fair, I sweat like a pig anyway but previous gloves didn't seem to be as bad or as noticeable). And yes, the padding is MUCH more dense and still breaking in several weeks into using them (lots of heavy bag sessions) to the point I'm adding small knuckle pads under my wraps when I know I'll be working the heavy bag until they fully break in. On the bright side they still look brand new and clean up fantastically. First positioning is excellent though I get a bit of thumb base knuckle rub on my right (guessing that pad just needs worn in as well). Longer cuff is nice for absorbing heavy kicks. One of these days I'll finish my review of these things. Are they the best gloves ever, neah, but are they worth the price I paid, yeah.

For what it's worth, I got the BGV14s a while back (in 14 oz) and my hands do sweat like a mother in those things. (To be fair, I sweat like a pig anyway but previous gloves didn't seem to be as bad or as noticeable). And yes, the padding is MUCH more dense and still breaking in several weeks into using them (lots of heavy bag sessions) to the point I'm adding small knuckle pads under my wraps when I know I'll be working the heavy bag until they fully break in. On the bright side they still look brand new and clean up fantastically. First positioning is excellent though I get a bit of thumb base knuckle rub on my right (guessing that pad just needs worn in as well). Longer cuff is nice for absorbing heavy kicks. One of these days I'll finish my review of these things. Are they the best gloves ever, neah, but are they worth the price I paid, yeah.

I remember your thread a while back too, so are the 14s easy to make a fist and just the padding being dense? Or the whole overall gloves need to break in in order to make a good fist?

I have these 3 gloves
BGV1s I consider my first serious training gloves, and a great general all purpose glove. I just recently retired them this October, in favor of BGV9s. Also during the summer I picked up a pair of BGV14s to try out, because i was unable to find any reviews on them. Now I carry 2 pairs of gloves the BGV9s, and 14s.

The 9s are only used on bags, mitts, and general pad work. Any time contact is involved I use the 14s. That being said. The BGV9s are light years ahead of the 14s.

I consider the BGV14s a cheap entry level into gloves. The padding has a broken in feel to me. Feels soft like my worn in BGV1s. The BGV9s have a dense padding. Something i would not want to hit someone with. Lately I've also noticed my hands sweating much more in the 14s, than any other glove I've used. There is virtually no wrist support in the BGV14s. The lining inside the gloves is loose. The synthetic leather cleans up nice, and does not dry and crack like real leather. My BGV1s look beat up for less than a year of use. Another problem I have with the BGV14s is that they keep sliding off my hands, even with hand wraps. I constantly have to readjust the gloves.

The BGV9s, have great wrist protection. The dense foam sounds good on pads, bags, and mitts. Especially when my punches are landed correctly. Both BGV9s, and BGV14s, have the same thumb position, more Mexican boxing style versus the BGV1s Thai style. Even with the Mexican thumb style I have no issues clinching with the BGV14s. Craftsmanship, and Quality of the materials is top notch on the BGV9s. The leather came smelling like leather, something I do not remember with the BGV1s.

With that said, I would not recommend the BGV14s to someone who is serious about training Muay Thai. If expenses allow I would look into BGV9s for bag work, and BGV1s for any contact work.

I have these 3 gloves
BGV1s I consider my first serious training gloves, and a great general all purpose glove. I just recently retired them this October, in favor of BGV9s. Also during the summer I picked up a pair of BGV14s to try out, because i was unable to find any reviews on them. Now I carry 2 pairs of gloves the BGV9s, and 14s.

The 9s are only used on bags, mitts, and general pad work. Any time contact is involved I use the 14s. That being said. The BGV9s are light years ahead of the 14s.

I consider the BGV14s a cheap entry level into gloves. The padding has a broken in feel to me. Feels soft like my worn in BGV1s. The BGV9s have a dense padding. Something i would not want to hit someone with. Lately I've also noticed my hands sweating much more in the 14s, than any other glove I've used. There is virtually no wrist support in the BGV14s. The lining inside the gloves is loose. The synthetic leather cleans up nice, and does not dry and crack like real leather. My BGV1s look beat up for less than a year of use. Another problem I have with the BGV14s is that they keep sliding off my hands, even with hand wraps. I constantly have to readjust the gloves.

The BGV9s, have great wrist protection. The dense foam sounds good on pads, bags, and mitts. Especially when my punches are landed correctly. Both BGV9s, and BGV14s, have the same thumb position, more Mexican boxing style versus the BGV1s Thai style. Even with the Mexican thumb style I have no issues clinching with the BGV14s. Craftsmanship, and Quality of the materials is top notch on the BGV9s. The leather came smelling like leather, something I do not remember with the BGV1s.

With that said, I would not recommend the BGV14s to someone who is serious about training Muay Thai. If expenses allow I would look into BGV9s for bag work, and BGV1s for any contact work.

Excellent details. Thanks.

Do you mind weighing your BGV9s? I'm curious on how true to weight they are.

I remember your thread a while back too, so are the 14s easy to make a fist and just the padding being dense? Or the whole overall gloves need to break in in order to make a good fist?

Yes, very easy to make a fist, just contrary to alecks post I feel like the knuckle (and exterior thumb) padding is exceptionally dense/hard and I try not to spar with them due to that reason. (Others have commented in light sparring they are "firm" to put it politely.) I will agree about the lining being loose, it can become a bit annoying at times once the sweat gets going. Also, wrist support is minimal. Clinching has not been an issue for me and is actually easier than with previous gloves I've used.

Yes, very easy to make a fist, just contrary to alecks post I feel like the knuckle (and exterior thumb) padding is exceptionally dense/hard and I try not to spar with them due to that reason. (Others have commented in light sparring they are "firm" to put it politely.) I will agree about the lining being loose, it can become a bit annoying at times once the sweat gets going. Also, wrist support is minimal. Clinching has not been an issue for me and is actually easier than with previous gloves I've used.

Those Lining are the standard Thai brand Satin right? If so Satin is always pretty loose in my experience.

After reading this thread, it really does seems the 14 isn't my kind of gloves, but got damn they look so sweet with that Japanese art patterns that have never been used in another gloves. I am still super intrigue to own a pair of 14 because of that...

Last edited:
Correct, satin lining. They aren't bad gloves by any means, just can't say I'm in love with them. Forgot to mention the weight was spot on, 14oz exactly on one and 14.05 on the other which was pretty impressive.

So I went down and tried the 16oz fairtex bv1. Build quality was excellent but and knuckle position was good however I didn't like the padding. Felt like I could punch right through it.

They didn't have the bgv9 in stock. I think the thai style padding isn't for me, probably going to go with something more western style like ringside or rivals.

Excellent details. Thanks.

Do you mind weighing your BGV9s? I'm curious on how true to weight they are.
I actually weighed them when I received them. They were 16oz exactly. My BGV14s were about 14oz, and the BGV1s were slightly over 16oz.

So I went down and tried the 16oz fairtex bv1. Build quality was excellent but and knuckle position was good however I didn't like the padding. Felt like I could punch right through it.

They didn't have the bgv9 in stock. I think the thai style padding isn't for me, probably going to go with something more western style like ringside or rivals.

As far as I know the padding, fit and profile are all completely different between the BGV1 and the BGV9. BGV9 is basically a mexican gloves. But have it your way.

As far as I know the padding, fit and profile are all completely different between the BGV1 and the BGV9. BGV9 is basically a mexican gloves. But have it your way.

Yeah the bgv9 might be perfect but its a risk I don't want to take, especially since it takes ~3-4 weeks to manufacture and there isn't really an easy return policy.

Yeah the bgv9 might be perfect but its a risk I don't want to take, especially since it takes ~3-4 weeks to manufacture and there isn't really an easy return policy.

Are you not in the US? Because they sell them on US amazon, easy return, no wait time etc.

Back