Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: November 12, 2018

First Trailer for POKEMON DETECTIVE PIKACHU [Updated with 2nd Trailer]

EGotm38.jpg

Update: July 20, 2016

Legendary Lands POKEMON Movie Rights, Preps Live-Action DETECTIVE PIKACHU

F38CdxJ.jpg

On the heels of Pokemon Go fever, Legendary has closed a deal for the film rights for the iconic Japanese property.

Legendary and The Pokemon Co. on Wednesday announced that they will launch the first Pokemon live-action film franchise based on Detective Pikachu, a new character in the Pokemon universe.

Details on the plot and story of the character are being kept under wraps. The film will be fast-tracked to start production in 2017.

After Pokemon Go, an app game that allows users to travel around collecting Pokemon, became a phenomenon quickly after its July 6 launch, Legendary set about closing the deal with The Pokemon Co., the Japanese outfit that manages the rights to the franchise spun from the hit Nintendo game. Sources say Netflix was very hot on the property.

Universal Pictures will handle distribution of the live-action film outside of Japan. Toho will handle distribution in Japan.

Pokemon, first created by Satoshi Tajiri in 1995, is a franchise of video games, trading cards, TV shows, comic books and movies that center on the unique creatures that are collected by Pokemon Trainers, who then train them to battle for sport.

The first video game, launched for Game Boy, was released in 1996. The first film, Pokemon: The First Movie — Mewtwo Strikes Back, was released in 1998 and there have been 19 films released based on the property.

'Pokemon' Movie Rights Land at Legendary; Live-Action Movie Based on Detective Pikachu in the Works

Looking for to this, don't care how old I am

I don't know how to feel about a live action movie.

Nobody gives a fuck about Detective Pikachu, they oughta adapt the original games (Pokemon Red/Blue), ala Pokemon Origins:

detective pikachu sounds genius

but i want a movies series about pokemon recue team, that is where the epic action is

the preview at the phillies game makes it look alright

G1Uf2aN.gif

Hollywood is shameless. Certainly not new information but this is one of the many examples that reaffirms this.

Update: August 16, 2016

Alex Hirsch, Nicole Perlman to Pen DETECTIVE PIKACHU Live-Action Movie

i1ZgvS7.jpg

Nicole Perlman and Alex Hirsch are in talks to write Legendary's live-action Pokemon movie based on Detective Pikachu.

Legendary and The Pokemon Co. previously announced that they will launch the first Pokemon live-action film franchise based on Detective Pikachu, a new character in the Pokemon universe. The news came on the heels of Pokemon Go, the augmented reality game had become an obsession.

Universal Pictures will handle distribution of the live-action film outside of Japan. Toho will handle distribution in Japan.

Perlman worked on Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, along with Captain Marvel with writer Meg LeFauve. Hirsch is the creative and executive producer of Disney’s Gravity Falls series.

Nicole Perlman and Alex Hirsch in Talks to Pen Legendary's Live-Action 'Detective Pikachu'

They pump out a new animated Pokemon movie like every year and as far as I know, they all do well. Not sure the reason behind taking this risk. Who are they going to get to pretend he's talking to a CGI Pikachu for 90 minutes?

Alex Hirsch's Gravity Falls was fantastic. I'm actually interested in this now.

I find to be amazing that Pokemon has been around for 20 years and there has not been a live action movie. There hasn't even been a regular US movie release since Pokemon 2000 or something. All these other talking animal releases have been huge hits.

A buddy cop movie of Team Rocket's Meowth and Pikachu = $$$. This is better than all the capeshit that keeps coming out.

Update: November 30, 2016

Rob Letterman to Direct Legendary's Pokemon Movie DETECTIVE PIKACHU

AHx0BLq.jpg

Goosebumps director Rob Letterman is ready to catch 'em all. The filmmaker has been tapped to helm Legendary's Pokemon movie Detective Pikachu.

The live-action film from Legendary and The Pokemon Company is being written by Nicole Perlman and Alex Hirsch. The first pic in a planned franchise centers on Detective Pikachu, a new character and story in the Pokemon universe (the character was first introduced in a video game in Japan).

Legendary has fast-tracked the project for a production start in 2017 after nabbing the rights to the iconic Japanese property in July on the heels of the Pokemon Go craze. Universal will handle distribution of the film outside Japan, as it has done with Legendary’s other projects. The Pokemon Company's longtime movie collaborator, Toho, will handle distribution of the film franchise in Japan.

Letterman seems a good fit for the property, as he's worked in both animation and live-action and with familiar fantasy-skewing properties like Goosebumps. His previous work includes Monsters vs. Aliens and Goosebumps, both of which he directed, as well as Shark Tale, which he wrote and helmed.

Legendary's Pokemon Movie 'Detective Pikachu' Lands 'Goosebumps' Director Rob Letterman

Wake me up when the have misty or team rocket gurl in live film half naked..

They pump out a new animated Pokemon movie like every year and as far as I know, they all do well. Not sure the reason behind taking this risk. Who are they going to get to pretend he's talking to a CGI Pikachu for 90 minutes?

Nicholas cage... boom!

Back