The Official Sherdog Shoop Tutorial & Template Thread

Empty Emp

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Post any tutorials, tips, or tricks related to shooping here. Feel free to create your own tutorials, post youtube videos you've found, or link any other tutorials you've found useful. You can also use this thread to ask for help if you have any questions. I'll keep everything organized in this first post as people add new tutorials.

FREE IMAGE EDITING SOFTWARE:

GIMP
GIMP is the most advanced and full-featured free image editing software.

Paint.NET
Paint.Net is more user friendly for beginners than GIMP, and can do almost everything Photoshop and GIMP can do, short of the most advanced features.

Pixlr
Pixlr is purely web-based, so there's nothing to install. I wouldn't recommend using it as your primary image editing software, but it's ok if you're on a computer that doesn't have an image editor installed or if you just want to mess around with an image editor before trying out Photoshop, GIMP or Paint.NET.

Photopea
Web based photo editor. Perhaps the best one. This is probably BWR's favorite.

PHOTOSHOP TUTORIALS:

- How to Move Objects Less Than a Pixel in CS6 by @TrainInVain
- How to Make a Simple Gif by @bigwaverider***updated!!
- How to Add a Gif Into Another Gif or Video by @bigwaverider
- How to Save, Load, and Edit Selections. Some Lasso Tool Techniques Explained. by @bigwaverider
- Fade In/Out by @bigwaverider
- Puppet Warp external tutorial posted by @bigwaverider
- Content Aware by @blackhat
- EASY AND BASIC COLOR CORRECTING USING HUE AND SATURATION BY @bigwaverider
- How to Make an "If They Mated" Shoop by @Empty Emp

GIMP TUTORIALS:

- Using Paths to Cut Out Objects in GIMP by @Empty Emp
- (Un)Optimizing and Color Mode: Two Things You Should Always Do Before and After Editing Any Gif in GIMP by @Empty Emp

PAINT.NET TUTORIALS:

- How to Shoop in Paint.Net by @SheetsMMAfan

PIXLR TUTORIALS

- A Simple Shoop in Pixlr.com Online Editor - How to Add a Head by @bigwaverider
- Cutting Things Out with the Magic Wand & Lasso Tool at Pixlr.com by @bigwaverider

AFTER EFFECTS TUTORIALS:

MISCELLANEOUS TUTORIALS:

- Reverse Image Lookup by @bigwaverider
- How to upload images to Sherdog From External Hosts by @bigwaverider

SHOOP TEMPLATES:

Template sheets and zips:

Sherdog shoop template database
Imgur account URL: Sherdog Shoop Template Database

Find the template album of a particular fighter, personality etc. by hitting "Ctrl + F" and typing the name of the person in the search box. Birth name only, no nicknames.

The albums are organized according to the following rules:

1. One album per fighter. If a template includes multiple fighters who cannot be separated, the template will be filed under the album of the "winning" fighter: e.g. a template containing Jon Jones and Machida is filed under Jon's album; a template containing Nate and Conor in their first fight is filed under Nate's album. If multiple fighters/personalities are present and "winning" isn't applicable, The template will be filed under the "Group" album - for example, a template containing Woodley and Wonderboy.

2. Fighter albums include the fighter and objects he or she is closely associated with. For example, Fedor's album includes templates of his sweater; Khabib's album includes templates of his hat/papakha, Amanda Nunes' album includes templates of her lioness mask, Gilbert Melendez's includes his Giblert Melendez Reebok uniform, ec.

3. Non-fighter who are involved with the MMA community, e.g. promoters, referees, journalists, coaches, wives etc. are filed under individual personality albums. WWE personalities are also included here as a single album.

4. For simplicity, fighters are listed by their birth names not nicknames. Do not use nicknames to search for a fighter's album - e.g. "Donald Cerrone" instead of "Cowboy", "Maurício Rua" instead of "Shogun". Oriental fighters follow Western tradition of first name - last name, e.g. Hyun Gyu Lim not Lim Hyun Gyu.

5. Sherdog member templates are filed under the "Sherdog Related" album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Using Paths to Cut Out Objects in GIMP

I was shooping for over two years before I finally learned how to use paths to make selections. Before that, I mainly used the free select tool. There's no wrong way to make selections as long as you end up with decent results, but I find paths to be the fastest and most accurate way.

Step 1: Open the image in GIMP

Step 2: Choose the Paths tools (keyboard shortcut: B)

8JVxbM7.png

Step 3: Use the path tool to create a path around the object you want to cut out (GIMP's official documentation on paths)
- Paths are difficult to explain in words, so don't expect to understand this until you start messing around with the Paths tool. Once you start using it, it doesn't take long to understand how paths are created.
- Paths are created using anchor points and handles. Anchor points are points along the path which the path will touch. Handles are extensions of anchor points which determine the direction and length of curves between two anchor points.
- Single-clicking creates and anchor point with no handles. Two anchor points connected with no handles will create a straight line.
- Clicking and dragging creates an anchor point with handles going in both directions. Adjust the handles to make the path curve along the edges of the object you want to cut out.
- You can also click and drag along the segment between two anchor points to adjust the curve. I never use this method, but it's worth mentioning.
- You can go back to reposition any of the anchor points or adjust any of the curves at any time, but make sure you select the last point you added before you continue adding additional points
- Once you set your final anchor point hold control while clicking on the first point to close the path.

3eUiCo7.gif

Step 4: Once your path is finished, click on the Paths tab. If it's not docked or you cant find it, in the main menu, go to Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Paths

FfmTRvB.jpg

Step 5: In the Paths tab, right click the path you just created, and click Path To Selection. This will make a selection of the path.

Step 6: Go back to the Layers tab and make sure the layer you want to cut from is selected. Copy and paste the selection to a new layer. Make sure you right click the Floating Selection in the layers tab and click To New Layer. I'm sure there's a reason why GIMP doesn't immediately paste to new layers, but that extra step has cost me a lot of time and extra work forgetting to finalize pasted layers.

Step 7: Hide the original layer (click the eye next to the layer in the Layers tab) to view the cut out.

Z6BzOdD.jpg

Step 8: If you need to adjust the cutout, you can go the the Paths tab and double-click your created path to edit it. Once you've made your adjustments, go back to Step 5.

Full process from start to finish:

fiiNPLw.gif

(Un)Optimizing and Color Mode: Two Things You Should Always Do Before and After Editing Any Gif in GIMP

You might notice when you open a gif in GIMP that the first frame is a solid image and most of the rest of the frames will contain transparent pixel such as:
cyskgmF.png

A transparent pixel in a gif means that pixel is the same color as the pixel in that position in the previous frame and won't be regenerated. This can greatly reduce file size, but it makes it difficult to edit gifs. GIMP isn't as intuitive as Photoshop, which does all the work for you behind the scenes, but it does have an easy way to get rid of transparencies.

When you open a gif in GIMP the first thing you should always do is go to Filters > Animation > Unoptimize

The second problem with editing gifs is color indexing. Gifs only support a maximum of 256 colors and don't support semi-transparencies. If you try to import another image into a gif, that image will be converted to the color index of the gif.

The second thing you should do before editing a gif is change the color mode to RGB by going to Image > Mode > RGB

Once those two simple changes are made you can start editing your gif (that's another more complicated tutorial).

Now when you're done editing your gif, you want to find a balance between quality and file size. This takes some trial and error, but it's effectively done but reversing those two things you did to make it easier to edit your gif.

The first thing you should do after you're done editing your gif is change the color mode back to indexed by going to Image > Mode > Indexed

This will open a dialog box with color indexing settings.
3xqMB63.jpg

Typically you'll want to use the "Generate optimum palette" Colormode. Now you want to choose how many colors you want to use. The more colors you use, the larger the file size will be, but the gif will also be higher quality. If it's not a large gif you can probably use 255 colors (don't use 256 colors because you will need to reserve one color for transparencies). You won't know how big the file is until after you export it but you want to try to keep your gifs under 10 MB both for the convenience of people viewing your gifs and because it can be difficult to find an image host that will host huge files. Next you want to select the dithering mode. Dithering is up to your personal preference, and none are really better than the rest, but you should use one of the methods to make the colors look less choppy. I tend to go with Positioned.

Next you want optimize your gif by going to Filters > Animation > Optimize (For GIF)

This will analyze the frames and place transparent pixels where the colors are the same as the previous frame, as I discussed earlier. This can greatly reduce file size, and there's no benefit to leaving a gif unoptimized. Now you can export your gif.

If you didn't take the steps mentioned in this tutorial, your gif will look like this:
I4irb92.gif

Notice how there are traces of Sage's head left behind from previous frames. This is due to not Unoptimizing before editing. You can also see that Sage's head is converted to to the original color index by not converting to RGB, although it's not too bad in this instance.

By taking the steps in this tutorial, your gif will look like this:
3WNZIFB.gif

There are no traces of his head bleeding through and the color is a little better.

Originally posted by @TrainInVain

Was gonna suggest adding Q&A to the thread topic so people have a central place for questions as well.

I found this tutorial a while back on how to move things less than a pixel in Photoshop, really handy when making gifs.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1079059

"Earlier versions of Photoshop used to do this depending on zoom level. If you're zoomed in at 100% on canvas, one nudge will be 1pixel relative to your current object position. 200% will be 0.5 pixel and so on all the way till 3200% which nudges 0.03125px.

In Photoshop CS6, there is a handy little option that is (usually unnoticed) present in General Preferences.

Go to Photoshop Preferences > General > Snap Vector Tools and Transforms to Pixel Grid - uncheck this option as shown in screenshot below:

nudge.jpg

Once unchecked, Photoshop will behave like it did in earlier versions. Zoom level controls the nudge. 100% zoom is 1pixel nudge and 200% is 0.5pixel nudge.

Note that this behavior will work only with 'Free Transform' (Cmd + T) or (Ctrl + T) on your object. A normal nudge with Move tool (V) will not nudge 0.5pixel."

HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE GIF... UPDATED

THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO IS THE UPDATED VERSION.

FINAL VERSION
2chuck-and-tito-dance.gif

THIIS IS THE OLD OUTDATED TUTORIAL IN THE SPOILER.

HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE GIF

THIS TUTORIAL WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO ADD ROGAN'S HEAD TO AN EXISTING GIF

WE WILL:
1. COPY ROGAN TO THE GIF

2. RESIZE AND PLACE HIM IN ALL FRAMES

THESE TECHNIQUES ARE FUNDEMENTAL TO GIF MAKING. THEY WILL APPLY TO PROBABLY EVERY GIF YOU WILL EVER MAKE

SOURCES

CEIh4wP.png

b5fDKcN.gif

FINAL OUTPUT
qIQMXjV.gif

PART 1

bAfeRCy.jpg

PART2
WY6MOrd.jpg

PART3

JUu3HUw.jpg

PART 4
K7A9Ql4.jpg

PART 5
kvhLDFS.jpg

PART 6
fmGXDuO.jpg

Last edited:
TUTORIAL: HOW TO ADD A GIF INTO ANOTHER GIF OR VIDEO

(I completely re did this tutorial from the old one. It's way easier now.)

IN THIS TUTORIAL WE ARE GOING TO ADD KETTLE CORMIER TO THE "INFAMOUS KICK". INCIDENTLY, KETTLE CORMIER WAS ALSO CREATED USING THIS METHOD.

TO SUM IT UP WE:

A. COPY CORMIER
B. PASTE HIM ONTO RONDA K.O.
C. RESIZE AND PLACE CORMIER

SOURCE 1.

2tuchIH.gif

SOURCE 2.

HZQJmM5.gif

FINAL OUTPUT

2DkNkQv.gif

82ubLWu.jpg

moq3yCb.jpg

Jmf1D0g.jpg

7ZsJlIb.jpg

FINAL OUTPUT

2DkNkQv.gif

Using Paths to Cut Out Objects in GIMP

I was shooping for over two years before I finally learned how to use paths to make selections. Before that, I mainly used the free select tool. There's no wrong way to make selections as long as you end up with decent results, but I find paths to be the fastest and most accurate way.

Step 1: Open the image in GIMP

Step 2: Choose the Paths tools (keyboard shortcut: B)

8JVxbM7.png

Step 3: Use the path tool to create a path around the object you want to cut out (GIMP's official documentation on paths)
- Paths are difficult to explain in words, so don't expect to understand this until you start messing around with the Paths tool. Once you start using it, it doesn't take long to understand how paths are created.
- Paths are created using anchor points and handles. Anchor points are points along the path which the path will touch. Handles are extensions of anchor points which determine the direction and length of curves between two anchor points.
- Single-clicking creates and anchor point with no handles. Two anchor points connected with no handles will create a straight line.
- Clicking and dragging creates an anchor point with handles going in both directions. Adjust the handles to make the path curve along the edges of the object you want to cut out.
- You can also click and drag along the segment between two anchor points to adjust the curve. I never use this method, but it's worth mentioning.
- You can go back to reposition any of the anchor points or adjust any of the curves at any time, but make sure you select the last point you added before you continue adding additional points
- Once you set your final anchor point hold control while clicking on the first point to close the path.

3eUiCo7.gif

Step 4: Once your path is finished, click on the Paths tab. If it's not docked or you cant find it, in the main menu, go to Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Paths

FfmTRvB.jpg

Step 5: In the Paths tab, right click the path you just created, and click Path To Selection. This will make a selection of the path.

Step 6: Go back to the Layers tab and make sure the layer you want to cut from is selected. Copy and paste the selection to a new layer. Make sure you right click the Floating Selection in the layers tab and click To New Layer. I'm sure there's a reason why GIMP doesn't immediately paste to new layers, but that extra step has cost me a lot of time and extra work forgetting to finalize pasted layers.

Step 7: Hide the original layer (click the eye next to the layer in the Layers tab) to view the cut out.

Z6BzOdD.jpg

Step 8: If you need to adjust the cutout, you can go the the Paths tab and double-click your created path to edit it. Once you've made your adjustments, go back to Step 5.

Full process from start to finish:

fiiNPLw.gif

(this is not directed at you as i know you know all this. It is just general info)

Nice tutorial. Using paths ("pen tool" in Pshop) is superior. More accurate but a little more time consuming IMO. In your gif, towards the very end, you show how to adjust the "anchor points". Can't do that with a lasso tool - well you sort of can. I don't know about GIMP, but Photoshop does not get rid of the path you created. Thus you can always go back and edit the path.

If you let go of the lasso tool, (or double click) it will finish the selection. This can be a problem if you accidentally let go or accidentally double click. Also if you want to take a break while using the lasso, you are out of luck as once you start, you have to finish. With the pen tool, you can stop mid stream and go back to it at your leisure.

However, I do use the lasso tool a lot. One nice trick is to save the selection. Sometimes I do this several times while using the lasso tool this way if I screw up I can always go back to a good saved version.

TUTORIAL: HOW TO SAVE, LOAD, AND EDIT SELCTIONS. SOME LASSO TOOL TECHNIQUES EXPLAINED.

When Shooping you may want to go back and edit a previous lasso selection. There are a few ways to do this. This is one way. In this case I "forgot" to add Jones thumb to the original selection and want to go back and add it in.

STEP 1
cQzti63.jpg

CPbQril.jpg

STEP 2
zcbL33H.jpg

STEP 3
mR7YCUW.jpg

Final output. The first frame shows the method of selecting just inside the edges. The second frame shows selecting along the edges. And the 3rd frame selecting just 1 pixel outside of the edges.

Eqz06b4.gif

Fade in/out tutorial.
This is the final result

vIKpuYt.gif

This is pretty simple. Basically we:
1. Duplicate the "fade out image" on frame 1 and set it to 0% opacity on the duplicate frame.
2. Make a 10 frame tween
3. Make sure the "fade in image" is visible on the bottom layer of all frames.
SO EASY!!

xl8XlNV.jpg

3FTScMl.jpg

4JmuJhh.jpg

7C1dkoz.jpg

2N0hr8a.jpg

13bqm7G.jpg

8PGYOVa.jpg
ZV0lYEU.jpg

This isnt part of the tutorial. This is just to show the frames created from this tutorial. I changed the frame timings from the tutorial.

pvGRnjB.gif

So you found this really cool image but you want some information about it or you want to find a larger one. All is not lost with the help from our dear friends at (yuck) Google and their "Reverse Image Lookup" feature. http://www.tineye.com/ is also another reverse image lookup site, but Google is better.

cwyj8rn.jpg

Google Images https://images.google.com/

Step 1
P4I4L9b.png

Step 2
wsChsPh.png

Step 3
j0Zx1D1.png

Step 4
S6iFSLv.png

In 3 minutes(ish) this will teach you "Puppet Warp" in Photoshop or your money back. Amazing TUT.

I found another online editor that seems really good. Very similar to Photoshop. See attached image for the interface. https://www.photopea.com/

Attachments

• photopea.png
    photopea.png
    159 KB · Views: 2
These were originally posted by @SheetsMMAfan. Credit to him.

Finally got these chopped up and uploaded to imgur. If you copy/paste these, they will show up in proper scale wherever you paste them.

Just about 2k pixels by 2k pixels each, so Sherdog scales it down. Its MUCH larger than what you see below :)

e9T8k0Z.png

Ed5H32E.png

ojQ13eX.png

1mdVfWU.pmg

Finally got these chopped up and uploaded to imgur. If you copy/paste these, they will show up in proper scale wherever you paste them.

Just about 2k pixels by 2k pixels each, so Sherdog scales it down. Its MUCH larger than what you see below :)

e9T8k0Z.png

Ed5H32E.png

ojQ13eX.png
1mdVfWU.png

Here's some from my collection. There's about 50 total on these three sheets. Had to make it 3 sheets because Imgur converts large .png's (this was a 16 megapixle image) to jpg files. They are alot bigger than they look. Check them out at full res.

Most are very excellent quality. Some were for my personal use and had some flaws that I didn't fix because the image I used them on hid the flaws. See Vitor's hair for example. Conor kicking is the worst quality but still useable.

This took me and hour and a half to make. Hope some appreciate it. Please post anything, even "Sage Northgoat!" to bump this thread as it is a great resource for Sherdog and the betterment of mankind.

edit: Looks like it was 5 sheets. See post down below for #4 and #5.

26qJO8d.png

8lzkb6F.png

jeZ05Ld.png

Back