The Official Sherdog Shoop Tutorial & Template Thread

I've never shooped before, what's the best recommendation and is there somewhere to do it without downloading? Just tried Pixlr but couldn't really figure it out.

oh this Pixlr looks a lot like the software I use. if you can get used to editing with that, you would be ready for some downloadable art software.

this is a screenshot of what I use

3wowO1U.jpg

Aloha Tormund. It really depends on what you want to do. I never used Pixlr but I just tried it a few mins to familiarize myself so I can help you. There is an online help with videos here. https://support.pixlr.com/hc/en-us/sections/201848667-Pixlr-Editor

I can get you started with a very basic shoop. If you need more help, post here.

A SIMPLE SHOOP IN PIXLR.COM ONLINE EDITOR

xvy5Pq9.jpg

zdv7NxD.jpg

sR0pD5x.jpg

Thank you for the help, will post back here in the coming days.

Thank you for the help, will post back here in the coming days.

Yo. I changed the second image to add a step that I missed. make sure you refresh this page to see the updated version. The step I missed is called "Edit > Select all". if you see that in the 2nd image then all is good. Good luck brother!! Feel free to message me at any time.

Yo. I changed the second image to add a step that I missed. make sure you refresh this page to see the updated version. The step I missed is called "Edit > Select all". if you see that in the 2nd image then all is good. Good luck brother!! Feel free to message me at any time.

I take it ctrl commands don't work? (doing it through menus would drive me insane)

but does copy not work just having the layer selected, without the select all part? I also used to select all with ctrl+a but realised I didn't need to.

I take it ctrl commands don't work? (doing it through menus would drive me insane)

but does copy not work just having the layer selected, without the select all part? I also used to select all with ctrl+a but realised I didn't need to.
I didn't try hot keys in Pixlr. I doubt they would work though as your browser hotkeys may over ride. I only did select all and copy. Didn't try it the other way. In Ps if you just use copy w/o selecting, you get a msg saying nothing is selected. I assume its the same way in Pixlr.

Using Paths to Cut Out Objects in GIMP

I was shooping for over two years before I finally learned how to use paths to make selections. Before that, I mainly used the free select tool. There's no wrong way to make selections as long as you end up with decent results, but I find paths to be the fastest and most accurate way.

Step 1: Open the image in GIMP

Step 2: Choose the Paths tools (keyboard shortcut: B)

8JVxbM7.png

Step 3: Use the path tool to create a path around the object you want to cut out (GIMP's official documentation on paths)
- Paths are difficult to explain in words, so don't expect to understand this until you start messing around with the Paths tool. Once you start using it, it doesn't take long to understand how paths are created.
- Paths are created using anchor points and handles. Anchor points are points along the path which the path will touch. Handles are extensions of anchor points which determine the direction and length of curves between two anchor points.
- Single-clicking creates and anchor point with no handles. Two anchor points connected with no handles will create a straight line.
- Clicking and dragging creates an anchor point with handles going in both directions. Adjust the handles to make the path curve along the edges of the object you want to cut out.
- You can also click and drag along the segment between two anchor points to adjust the curve. I never use this method, but it's worth mentioning.
- You can go back to reposition any of the anchor points or adjust any of the curves at any time, but make sure you select the last point you added before you continue adding additional points
- Once you set your final anchor point hold control while clicking on the first point to close the path.

3eUiCo7.gif

Step 4: Once your path is finished, click on the Paths tab. If it's not docked or you cant find it, in the main menu, go to Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Paths

FfmTRvB.jpg

Step 5: In the Paths tab, right click the path you just created, and click Path To Selection. This will make a selection of the path.

Step 6: Go back to the Layers tab and make sure the layer you want to cut from is selected. Copy and paste the selection to a new layer. Make sure you right click the Floating Selection in the layers tab and click To New Layer. I'm sure there's a reason why GIMP doesn't immediately paste to new layers, but that extra step has cost me a lot of time and extra work forgetting to finalize pasted layers.

Step 7: Hide the original layer (click the eye next to the layer in the Layers tab) to view the cut out.

Z6BzOdD.jpg

Step 8: If you need to adjust the cutout, you can go the the Paths tab and double-click your created path to edit it. Once you've made your adjustments, go back to Step 5.

Full process from start to finish:

fiiNPLw.gif

Jesus dude...your last gif of whole process is just as funny as your shoops. Dem ears!

Aloha Tormund. It really depends on what you want to do. I never used Pixlr but I just tried it a few mins to familiarize myself so I can help you. There is an online help with videos here. https://support.pixlr.com/hc/en-us/sections/201848667-Pixlr-Editor

I can get you started with a very basic shoop. If you need more help, post here.

A SIMPLE SHOOP IN PIXLR.COM ONLINE EDITOR

xvy5Pq9.jpg

zdv7NxD.jpg

sR0pD5x.jpg

How do you make a .PNG transparent so when you shoop there's no background from the .PNG?

How do you make a .PNG transparent so when you shoop there's no background from the .PNG?

In Pixlr... You trace around the part you want to keep such as a head using the lasso. Then copy/paste the head to a new layer. Next "unlock" the "background layer" by clicking the "lock icon" on the background layer and uncheck the background layer so it is no longer visible. You will now have only the head on a clear background. When you go to save, select "PNG (Transparant Full Quality)" from the Format pull down.

I do something similar in Photoshop.

In Pixlr... You trace around the part you want to keep such as a head using the lasso. Then copy/paste the head to a new layer. Next "unlock" the "background layer" by clicking the "lock icon" on the background layer and uncheck the background layer so it is no longer visible. You will now have only the head on a clear background. When you go to save, select "PNG (Transparant Full Quality)" from the Format pull down.

I do something similar in Photoshop.

Is there a tutorial for this? I'm not quite sure how to crop a photo down to just a head.

Is there a tutorial for this? I'm not quite sure how to crop a photo down to just a head.
Cutting Things Out with the Magic Wand & Lasso Tool

https://support.pixlr.com/hc/en-us/...ng-Things-Out-with-the-Magic-Wand-Lasso-Tool-

To crop an image, use the "marquee tool" to select what you want to keep. All you are doing is making a square/rectangle with the marquee tool. Then go to "Image > Crop". Let me know how this works out man.

Cutting Things Out with the Magic Wand & Lasso Tool

https://support.pixlr.com/hc/en-us/...ng-Things-Out-with-the-Magic-Wand-Lasso-Tool-

To crop an image, use the "marquee tool" to select what you want to keep. All you are doing is making a square/rectangle with the marquee tool. Then go to "Image > Crop". Let me know how this works out man.

I'm almost there I just still don't know how to completely delete the background, I can blank it but can't get it on the chequered layer.

EDIT: Got it, thanks for the help.

Thanks mang. I think photography has given me a decent eye for proportions/angles etc. Always had a good imagination, so for now I'm focusing on the ideas and not totally the execution. I like seeing when other shoopers will "cover" a shoop (like covering a song for a band) and would always be open to that if one of you masters ever like my idea and feel the need!

My computer is sitting around right now, but it's still very current with components. Just gotta spend the time. Need to do other things too (label/organize videos from my camera and music and stuff), I'll be sure to hit you up if I need some more tips beyond the wealth of info you've already provided in various places around here.

Got a recommendation for a good program or two to start on that wouldn't have to be too intricate?

Honestly, Photoshop. It can be as simple as you need. You can cut out a head, Resize and/or Rotate it into position and call it a day.

Or you can step it up a notch. With a simple Hue/Saturation adjustment of the reds you can mostly/sorta/kinda color correct skin tones. With a Levels adjustment you can sorta get the lighting right. If you know these few things, you are very powerful. On the other hand, you can take it up even higher and the sky's the limit. Plus if you get to know it, PS will help your photography.

For gifs you have a timeline which has frames. Make your corrected head for frame 1, Resize and/or Rotate it into position and keep going. Gifs can be as easy or difficult as you want. Gifs are harder than static shoops as a 50 frame gif is pretty much the equivalent of 50 separate shoops. That's why not many make them.

I started off like you doing some personal photography using Camera Raw and OneOne Perfect Effects 4. I learned 90% of my PS skills here. I think you are correct in "focusing on the ideas and not totally the execution." Go with that, and take it as high as you want.

Right on to everything.

I guess I was moreso asking which tier or iteration of Photoshop would be high enough to do these things you mentioned, cutout morphing, hue/saturation, brightness/contrast, and maybe at least acceptable dithering/texturing abilities. Last thing I definitely am craving is ability to blend/feather edges. If there's something that's like $200 or less that would have these all in one on top of the basics like cutouts and pasting and adding text and whatnot I'd be able to spring for that.

I've done a ton of digital image adjustments with various free programs since '94 or so and even more in the last 6 years since I got my DSLR, so I suppose I'll be able to mostly jump right in. I know there's tons of quick "how to's" on YouTube and I have dozens of digital photography mags from recent years with some specific tips/walkthroughs.

I'm actually really into finally doing it, I just spend so little time at my PC now with my phone and work laptop used for almost everything.

Well Photoshop CS2 can be downloaded legally for free at the link below. This may be all you need w/o spending a dime and will do everything you mentioned. although I am not sure what you mean by "cutout morphing". @dije1 uses it. From talking to him it is pretty powerful but doesn't have "free transform warp" and "puppet warp". Also when you crop in CS2, you lose those pixels permanently where as in later version you don't. To buy a current version of PS, it's $9.99 a month.

Or you can use GIMP like alot of the others. Even shoop master @Empty Emp uses GIMP. @Jehannum use Paintshop Pro and he only has 2GB of RAM!!

Photoshop CS2 for free!!

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back