The Official Sherdog Shoop Tutorial & Template Thread

hey guys long time fan of shoops finally trying it out for myself. Downloaded photoshop free trial. Already find myself a bit stuck though.

Trying to put the shad face on another image (i figure this is the most basic "starter" shoop).

loaded my first image onto a layer. dragged the shadface file onto a layer on top of that one. it let me resize and rotate the image for "placing" it. However, once i have placed it (even before i cant seem to move the image, only resize and rotate) it wont allow me to move the image where i want it.

Tried the little arrow select tool but i must be missing something. Do I have to re-lasso the shadface before i can move it again?

also, im on a surface tablet trying to use the pen so maybe that has something to do with it?

thanks for all the info in the thread!

hey guys long time fan of shoops finally trying it out for myself. Downloaded photoshop free trial. Already find myself a bit stuck though.

Trying to put the shad face on another image (i figure this is the most basic "starter" shoop).

loaded my first image onto a layer. dragged the shadface file onto a layer on top of that one. it let me resize and rotate the image for "placing" it. However, once i have placed it (even before i cant seem to move the image, only resize and rotate) it wont allow me to move the image where i want it.

Tried the little arrow select tool but i must be missing something. Do I have to re-lasso the shadface before i can move it again?

also, im on a surface tablet trying to use the pen so maybe that has something to do with it?

thanks for all the info in the thread!

You're welcome man. We are here for you. Made this pretty picture for you. No you do not have to re-select the object before you move it. You only have to make sure that it's "Layer" is active. Hope this answers your questions. If you have more questions feel free to ask here. (Not responsible for typos. I rarely use PS's spell checker.) :-0

edit: If for some reason these techniques do not work try this. Instead of "Placing" the Shad Face into the image (by "Placing" I mean drag and dropping it into the background image) try "Opening" (File > Open) the Shad Face in a separate document. Then use "Edit > Select All" and Copy/Paste (Edit > Copy - Edit > Paste) Shad into the background image. I have a funny feeling that your tablet may not be working right by "Placing" the image. Just a hunch which may or may not be true.

move-jpg.148209

Thanks bigwave, super helpful! seems like it wouldnt let me drag with my surface pen but once i plugged in the keyboard and used the touch pad your steps worked perfect.

welcome to the shooping community too @cs10

I was hoping @bigwaverider would help as I don't use photoshop myself, so I waited till today to comment. also if you decide to make some shoops you consider "retro" you should come check out my (our) neverending shoop thread that is linked in my signature. I tend to post all my 80s themed shoops in there personally, but others post from different years that influenced them, or have even taken a bit of creative liberty with the idea and gone WAAAAAAAAAAAAY BACK :)

trump_hillary_debate_shoop_1-jpg.148505

Thanks Jehannum, I'll definitely check it out!

Here's my first shoop, no real premise just trying to test out the basics to get a hang of things.

Quick question, I'll take a look back in the thread also, but any tips on blending a face onto a body better? for instance some of the faces i had trouble covering up the entire head of the person in the image behind it. Like little bits of hair or chin were sticking out.

Also, is there anyway to skew an image (like a face) to make it look like its at a slightly different angle to better match the background image? i.e. face if looking forward but you want to make it look more to the side? maybe just a matter of finding a more fitting image?

EDPdC

Quick question, I'll take a look back in the thread also, but any tips on blending a face onto a body better? for instance some of the faces i had trouble covering up the entire head of the person in the image behind it. Like little bits of hair or chin were sticking out.

Also, is there anyway to skew an image (like a face) to make it look like its at a slightly different angle to better match the background image? i.e. face if looking forward but you want to make it look more to the side? maybe just a matter of finding a more fitting image?
EDPdC

Maybe the "Clone Tool" will help you here. It looks like a rubber stamp. Lets say that little chunk of hair to the left of Sage's ear. You can "Clone" some of the wall to cover that. 1. "Alt + Left Click" to select part of the wall that is the same/similar color. 2. Then just "Left Click" to paint in. It's not worth me making a tutorial as there are many on the net. Just Google "Photoshop Clone Tool Tutorial" for articles or videos. It's relatively simple.

EDPdC

Under "Edit > Free Transform" there are many tools to manipulate the shape of an object. Here is a quick run down from Adobe's site. You may want to Google tutorials or just jump in and see what they do. IMO it's best to "Transform" a copy of the object and keep an original. To make a copy just Right Click the Layer and select "Duplicate Layer". Use the "Eyeball" next to the original layer to make it non visible and do your transformation on the copy. This way you can manipulate the copy, and still have the original for backup in case things turn sour.

Scale: Enlarges or reduces an item relative to its reference point, the fixed point around which transformations are performed. You can scale horizontally, vertically, or both horizontally and vertically.
Rotate: Turns an item around a reference point. By default, this point is at the center of the object; however, you can move it to another location.
Skew: Slants an item vertically and horizontally.
Distort: Stretches an item in all directions.
Perspective: Applies one‑point perspective to an item.
Warp: Manipulates the shape of an item.
Rotate 180, Rotate 90 CW, Rotate 90 CCW: Rotates the item by the specified number of degrees, either clockwise or counterclockwise.
Flip: Flips the item vertically or horizontally.

For something that is looking forward, in order make it look like it's looking more towards the side can be tricky and not advised. Your best bet is to just find an image on the net that is more suitable. But you may be able to use the "Warp" or maybe even the "Perspective Warp" to achieve a "pseudo" look. If you have big balls you may want to play with "Puppet Warp" <-- this is the hardest way. In spoiler is a Puppet Warp tutorial. These types of transforms are generally used when you can't find a proper perspective image. They are hit and miss. It's always best to find the proper image in perspective.

welcome to the shooping community too @cs10

I was hoping @bigwaverider would help as I don't use photoshop myself, so I waited till today to comment. also if you decide to make some shoops you consider "retro" you should come check out my (our) neverending shoop thread that is linked in my signature. I tend to post all my 80s themed shoops in there personally, but others post from different years that influenced them, or have even taken a bit of creative liberty with the idea and gone WAAAAAAAAAAAAY BACK :)

Thanks for adding info brah. @cs10, Jehannum is a bad ass Shooper and a wealth of knowledge. I have learned many a good thing from him. We "Talk Shop" regularly. And his retro thread is way cool. I probably did 10 or more shoops in it.

request: gif of Yoel marching

Yo Firestar. thanks for posting but this is a tutorial thread. Request thread is here -
stg.forums.sherdog.com/threads/avatar-gif-request-thread.3170127/

I prob won't be able to get to this. Certain problems are preventing me from Shooping for a few days.

Cool thread with some great info. Thanks to everyone for all the informative posts.

Mahalo Dev. Feel free to add or ask questions. We are here to help. :)[/QUOTE

Yo Firestar. thanks for posting but this is a tutorial thread. Request thread is here -
stg.forums.sherdog.com/threads/avatar-gif-request-thread.3170127/

I prob won't be able to get to this. Certain problems are preventing me from Shooping for a few days.

Mahalo Dev. Feel free to add or ask questions. We are here to help. :)

Much appreciated, thanks!

I haven't delved into any programs like these before (hell, I haven't even messed with stuff like excel for years), but I'll be sure to check back here in the future.

Much appreciated, thanks!

I haven't delved into any programs like these before (hell, I haven't even messed with stuff like excel for years), but I'll be sure to check back here in the future.

QUOTE="bigwaverider, post: 123751615, member: 423029"]Your best bet is to check here, post questions, and/or PM me. I will talk your ear off from the easiest stuff all the way to the hard.[/QUOTE]

They're all stuck together as one image so you can't post each face.

Just open the image, select what you want and copy/paste it. It's so much easier to upload them all on one sheet. Otherwise you would have to upload 200 different images and create 200 different links. You would have to do that across multiple posts cause I think there is a 10 image limit per post. That would take hours to do vs a few minutes with them stuck on one sheet.

@bigwaverider @LouisBolanos or anyone else that can help. :D

Hey guyz... I'm working with Photoshop CS6 & out of nowhere my brush tool stopped covering completely. Maybe I clicked an option by accident but I can't find it.

When I'm not on a mask... the brush tool should cover what I paint completely... but it's coming out opaque. This is effecting my masking as well. When I paint in a mask with black, it's supposed to erase what I'm painting... but like the 1st example... it's doing some kind of opaque thing.

I had to finish up my contest entry shoop while working around this... but now I'm trying to shoop in the thread & this problem is a major pain in the ass that I can't figure out. Do you guyz know what got changed? It has been working fine until lately.

Back