Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

Spent the weekend in Carson City, tried out my new target which did a damn good job. Target was shot up with 22's, 9's, 40's, 45's, and 5.56.
Would post some pics but can't figure out how to post pictures that are saved to your computer.

20170306_160540_zpslhzefgqx.jpg

6.5 at 1250 yards

AR's and SCAR's at 100

Pistols at 10

I've been shooting about once a week but I've been going to an outdoor range where ranger officers replace the paper targets so I haven't had any to post :( But I am very happy with my improvement.

Re-zeroed some shit:
VZM.IMG_20170314_213325_zpshd4dxhu8.jpg

Can still jerk it in the approx direction:
VZM.IMG_20170314_213258_zpsashqsxuv.jpg

Checked my night rig:
VZM.IMG_20170314_213210_zps6ohbwpsj.jpg

Whacked a couple hogs:
20170314_220232_resized_zpsilpec1nj.jpg

This again.

Man its crazy how time flys when you're out shooting. 5.5 hours felt like maybe a couple.

Hey How's your consistency with that 6.5? Are you able to string some shots together when the conditions are stable? What's your longest string of consistent shots?

Went Hog-(control) Hunting Friday.

Saw the wily Armored Possum:

VZM.IMG_20170428_191505_zpsnth62auu.jpg

And the majestic Long-eared Grass Rat:

20170428_193007_resized_zpswyjew2ae.jpg

Thumped 1 hog: 60grn Sierra Hollowpoint, put it right under they eye when it saw me.
VZM.IMG_20170428_200936_zpswfvkp2qy.jpg

Hey How's your consistency with that 6.5? Are you able to string some shots together when the conditions are stable? What's your longest string of consistent shots?

Went Hog-(control) Hunting Friday.

Saw the wily Armored Possum:

VZM.IMG_20170428_191505_zpsnth62auu.jpg

And the majestic Long-eared Grass Rat:

20170428_193007_resized_zpswyjew2ae.jpg

Thumped 1 hog: 60grn Sierra Hollowpoint, put it right under they eye when it saw me.
VZM.IMG_20170428_200936_zpswfvkp2qy.jpg

At 1250ish?

Repeatable hits on steel. Big piece of steel though, but most on a 12x18" zone. But the wind in that area sucks, it's not that strong(5-15) but it changes directions and speed often. Just the different mountain angles and sizes in the area I assume.

I always found 1-5 or six shots not too bad, but trying to repeat 16+ consecurive shots another ballgame.

How much did the mirage play into it?

If you aim off, even the best ballistic rounds will miss.

I always found 1-5 or six shots not too bad, but trying to repeat 16+ consecurive shots another ballgame.

How much did the mirage play into it?

If you aim off, even the best ballistic rounds will miss.

Usually just try to get on target, then hit propane tanks, hostage flipper(<.5 moa, very difficult to judge misses as well), chest flap etc. Haven't really tried to get good groups. Definitely gotten sub moa 3 shot groups, maybe 5, not sure. Might try to do a few groups at 1k in the future.

Not bad, the scope is bright and clear. Only shot in around 90ish though.

At 1250ish?

Repeatable hits on steel. Big piece of steel though, but most on a 12x18" zone. But the wind in that area sucks, it's not that strong(5-15) but it changes directions and speed often. Just the different mountain angles and sizes in the area I assume.
what is your zero setup at/ correction or hold from zero for 1250/ idea on muzzle velocity ballistic coefficient ect. ect. ?

Zero stop is set up for 100
11.6 mil drop

39.5 MOA! or there abouts. Sounds pretty close to the droppage of my 30'06.

I had 26 or so at 1000 yards with it. 175grn Sierra, 2950fps.

I remember a goon next to me shooting a 7mm Mag with 180grn VDS said he had 19MOA.

For a second I though, Sheeeeiit I'm only 7 MOA off with my 30'06.

Then I thought oh, that's like almost 6ft more drop!

50rds. .22lr CMMG conversion for Stag AR15

150rds. Kriss Vector Carbine 9mm

50rds. CZ SP-01 9mm
50rds. HK VP9 9mm

30rds. CZ 40B .40SW
30rds. HK P30L .40SW

100rds. Build #1 AR15
210rds. Build #5 AR15

The .22lr conversion worked well. Even put some doubles downrange with the Build #5 lower's binary trigger. Way too easy to chew through rounds.

Enjoyed shooting the Vector. Sighted in an MRO on it. Fun gun.

Got my best pistol groups with the CZ and the RMR. Although the VP9 shot very well and I liked it quite a bit.

The 40B I didn't do well with. Bought the gun used and the guy put sights on it that I don't seem to like. Will swap them out at some point. I wasn't very accurate with the P30L either, but definitely better. Preferred both the 9's and especially look forward to messing around with the CZ again soon.

Put a new bolt carrier in Build 1 since it was experiencing a little bit of hang up, which was causing failures. No failures today. Ran great in both single-shot and binary modes.

First time shooting the Build #5 upper. Worked great with the federal rounds. The ATI rounds were kicking back at me. Realized later that it should be possible to adjust the gas so that might have helped. Mostly though I needed to put some rounds downrange because the manual says run the first few hundred rounds via magazine. Sooo, close enough. Sighted the Elcan in on it. Cool 3x scope.

50rds. .22lr CMMG conversion for Stag AR15

150rds. Kriss Vector Carbine 9mm

50rds. CZ SP-01 9mm
50rds. HK VP9 9mm

30rds. CZ 40B .40SW
30rds. HK P30L .40SW

100rds. Build #1 AR15
210rds. Build #5 AR15

The .22lr conversion worked well. Even put some doubles downrange with the Build #5 lower's binary trigger. Way too easy to chew through rounds.

Enjoyed shooting the Vector. Sighted in an MRO on it. Fun gun.

Got my best pistol groups with the CZ and the RMR. Although the VP9 shot very well and I liked it quite a bit.

The 40B I didn't do well with. Bought the gun used and the guy put sights on it that I don't seem to like. Will swap them out at some point. I wasn't very accurate with the P30L either, but definitely better. Preferred both the 9's and especially look forward to messing around with the CZ again soon.

Put a new bolt carrier in Build 1 since it was experiencing a little bit of hang up, which was causing failures. No failures today. Ran great in both single-shot and binary modes.

First time shooting the Build #5 upper. Worked great with the federal rounds. The ATI rounds were kicking back at me. Realized later that it should be possible to adjust the gas so that might have helped. Mostly though I needed to put some rounds downrange because the manual says run the first few hundred rounds via magazine. Sooo, close enough. Sighted the Elcan in on it. Cool 3x scope.

So were you able to string a good amount of rounds together with the binary?

So were you able to string a good amount of rounds together with the binary?

Was more doing doubles than mag dumps. Both triggers performed flawlessly. With the .22lr upper I dumped a mag as fast as possible and it worked great. With the lack of recoil it was almost too great. Mag was empty before it felt like anything happened. :D

Ran 210 rounds of 10mm FMJ though my Kimber TLE II, with another 18 rounds of Underwood 180 grain XTP. Since i log the shit out of everything i do, i decided to compare it to my Springer TRP (.45)

Kimber- 2,207 rounds fired vs Springfield- 3,745
Kimber- 47 malfunctions vs Springfield- 19 malfunctions
Kimber-2 FTE vs Springfield- 9 FTF
Kimber -22 FTF vs springer- 8 OoB
Kimber -17 OoB vs springer- 1 FTE
Kimber -6 FTX vs springer- 1 Squib

Initially, i wasnt overly impressed with the Kimbers performance. at least 30 of those malfunctions happened within the first 200 rounds, and i understand 'break in period' but this was with premium magazines running premium ammo. The Springfield on the other hand, was one of my first 1911's and every single failure except for the squib and 1 FTF was using the stock magazine. Other than an initially FTF the first time i put one of my Tripp magazines in it, it has run flawlessly through close to 1500 rounds now. The Kimber though? man, lets go through that.

After the first 200 rounds, i detail stripped it, cleaned it, lubed the f-k out of it. Ran another 100 rounds, Out of Battery problems persist but it DID fix the failure to extracts and failure to ejects. So was still getting basically a FTF every other magazine and like i said OOB still occurred. by this time i chucked the kimber mag that came with it and just used the 3 Tripp magazines i had in 10mm. polished the feed ramp. let her sit for a month before i decided to run a shit load of 10mm again. another 200 rounds, FTF issue apparently fixed, occasional OOB still shows up. this led me to believe either my extractor tension was culprit or kimber stock springs are shit. Put in Wolff 22lb spring (stock kimber is 18lb). Problem solved.

This last trip was mostly designed to see if the culmination of my Kimber work paid off (polishing internals, adjusting extractor tension, stronger spring). The verdict was yes, i went through the whole session with only one issue and that was when i limp wristed an underwood round since i had been firing for some time, and suddenly switching to a bullet going over 1300 was getting less than fun to shoot. its just a pain that it took about 300 or so rounds before i would point at it and say 'that gun is reliable' and another 300 before i would say 'id trust that gun with my life'.

From the 1911's ive played with, Kimbers are a lot more fussy than i would have expected. Lot of people say they are fuss buckets and unreliable, but most of that is just proper tuning. i have no idea why kimber doesnt actually tune the 1911's they make but its costing them reputation. My TRP has been very reliable but then again, its mostly standard. i think going to a 10mm cartridge in the 1911 is just asking for issues if you dont want to adjust your gun to it. pro tip, if you ARE gonna run a 10mm 1911, the JHP you should look for are the narrow gapped ones, they feed like silk. Nosler and hornady XTP. oh and the lehigh xtreme defense/penetrators. I got all kinds of early shit with hornady FTX and winchester PDX.

Ran 100 rounds through my grand power k100 mk12. Just replaced the sights with a fibre optic front and dynamic rear. For those not familiar, grand powers are beautifully machined with no mim parts. Smooth and accurate shooters.

Didn't get around to the range, but finally got my friends 9mm bore laser to sync up with my TLR-6 on my G43.

Sad to find out that having to attach the laser via the trigger guard does not lend to holding zero.

Back