Firearms: Negligent Or Accidental Discharge Stories.

Cubo de Sangre

F65
@plutonium
Reaction score
Here's a good video on the unintended discharging of firearms. Part educational. Part humorous. Part somber.

Seemed like this might make for a good thread here to share stories. I've got a couple that turned out fine but reverberated nonetheless. Both at the range though because I never ever fucking ever have loaded weapons at home. On a couple occasions some rounds were run through manually just to check function. Then I found these things called snapcaps. <cheer>

Twas the first time shooting the Baby Eagle .40sw. I'd been shooting with a couple guns for a number of months by that time, but 9mm only. I pull the trigger on that first round and before I know it a second round goes off. :eek: Now part of me wants to call that a catlike quick double tap, but in truth the trigger was pulled unintentionally. Not sure how much was the snappiness of the caliber and how much was the trigger. But it caught me off-guard for sure. Shot it plenty since then without incident and love the gun.

Second time I had just emptied a mag at some menacing paper and was sort of half turning toward the range bag while pointing downrange to give the trigger that confirmation pull that she (the precious CZ 85 Combat) was empty and BANG! I was certain that gun was empty. But I'd miscounted. Fuck me, that sinking feeling in the ol' gut that followed. :( Think I shot it into the range's floor. Is that bad at an indoor place? :D

The video also touched on being handed loaded weapons and the virtue of always checking them. Coincidentally I've two stories to share on that.

Went to visit a dude and we'd been out drinking and then back at his place he busts out a couple guns. First thing he hands me is an AK pistol. I'm kinda finger fucking this thing for about a minute before I decide to give it a check. Definitely an eye-opener seeing those rounds. When I expressed surprise he was like "Duh, it's not much good without bullets". Fair enough. Not bad practice to clear a fucking gun when handing it to someone either. But that was on me.

Second time was an old Ruger Super Blackhawk .44. I was a little quicker to check on that one but it still took longer than it should have (i.e. first damn thing when it was handed to me).

On a miscellaneous note, I got corrected by the lady during the last gun registration. She asked that the bolt be put in so she could measure the barrel and while doing so it was inadvertently pointed at someone in a cubicle. lol. I didn't feel bad because there was zero danger, but point well-taken. :oops:

Thank fuck I've never had one happen to me.

Never had one, hoping to keep it that way. I guess the closest is just firing bolt actions with sub 2lb triggers. Just firing the shot before I was 100% ready but we're talking I was still aiming at the target downrange, just made me miss by a few " - couple '.

I also check every gun handed to me even though most of my friends literally do it in front of me before handing it over.

This will sound a little fucked up for several reasons. Last summer, I was playing CoD with my partner almost non-stop between cars; that's how we survived nearly 500 overtime hours, each, over a three month period (don't tell the tax payers). One night, after shift, while I was dekitting, I drew my gun, towards the ballistic wall in the arming room and while I didn't actually pull the trigger or even go FoT, I had to fight a really strong urge to pull it as soon as cleared kydex.

I was in the basement of my home in a number of years ago and had a ND with a shotgun in my office. Totally true.

It was definately not a rage induced psychosis that ended up with the computer and monitor taking buckshot. That definately did not happen. It was a negligent discharge. And that exactly what we will continue to tell my wife.

I was in the basement of my home in a number of years ago and had a ND with a shotgun in my office. Totally true.

It was definately not a rage induced psychosis that ended up with the computer and monitor taking buckshot. That definately did not happen. It was a negligent discharge. And that exactly what we will continue to tell my wife.

<mma4>

didnt chamber check a 22lr before dropping hammer(usually do)

dropped mag, charged handle, round came out, dropped hammer, hole in cabin wall.

the dropped round was a jam that fell out, chamber never ejected. was dark out and didnt feel like being safe i guess.

wont happen again.

Here's why I don't fuck around with live ammo outside the range. I've cycled live rounds to test function, and it never felt right. Money has been spent on snap-caps.

Last edited:
Here's why I don't fuck around with live ammo outside the range. I've cycled live rounds to test function, and it never felt right. Money has been spent on snap-caps.

I never cycle rounds but I chamber them in a couple hd guns.

I've never had a ND and have good gun safety because I grew up hunting with my dad (retired airborne ranger) so all the rules were drilled into my head from a young age again and again.

I guess I sort of took it for granted and thought everybody had the same level of awareness but when I got to Alaska I saw a lot of absolutely terrible gun habits and treatment of firearms, I actually made a big deal of it and ended up doing a clinic with the whole group because I was tired of getting swept and seeing guns in the water and laying in the dirt. Guns are available for people because of the wildlife up there but lots of people don't com from a gun background.

But for fucks sake, if there's an accident (my dad's always said there's no accidents with guns), we can't just make a quick 911 call and have an ambulance there in a few minutes, depending on where we are it could in theory be 6-8 hours to a hospital.

I don't carry a live round while packing either. I know a lot of people carry "condition 1!" at all times but it's not for me.
There was some idiot that dropped his 454 casul in a Sportsman Warehouse up here while sitting on the crapper and it went off. No one got hurt but dang can you imagine the blast.

I had one back in the day with a .357 I owned at the time. Was shooting with winter gloves on, and did not realize the extra thickness of the gloves was enough to engage the trigger while cocked. The gun was low, but still downrange. Still embarrassing as a Marine.

From that day on any gloves I use while shooting outside are fingerless on the trigger finger.

Had a marine sniper send a round parallel to the firing line on a stress shoot we ran for them. With an M40, bolt gun nonetheless, he was also their squad leader. He was moving from barricade to barricade, he liked being real aggressive cycling the bolt and his finger slipped to the trigger sending his round in the direction he was moving.

His squad and us (sniper instructors) were watching. No one was hurt, since they were guests he got talked to and that's about it.

Saw a guy who set some ridiculous 1. Something pound trigger. Shoot himself in the leg while drawing. Another fail to clear his Glock before taking it apart and shot himself in the hand. These were skilled shooters being complacent.

I turned a weapon into the arms room once. Few days later was getting ready for training, pulled it out, was almost about to dry fire but went ahead and cleared it. Out came a live round... I was alone but I'd have had a safety board for that.

So far I've never had an ND but I've learned allot from those who have and my own close calls. Some say they're like cutaways in skydiving, the longer you do it and you'll have one eventually.

Last week, we had hunters coming up to do some upland with semi-autos, we process his paperwork before proceeding to verify his declaration. My partner that day, asks the guy if the guns are loaded, one guy says his tube has shells in it and I give him a little shit about transporting a loaded firearm.

So we're doing his secondary examination and we get to the "cruiser ready" gun. My partner, not having much experience with semi-autos tries to pump the forend. I tell him he's got to pull and lock the bolt back, but before I get to finish my sentence, he nearly chambers a round and all I hear is, "OH FUCK!" before he manages to catch the bolt handle, just before it actually chambers a round.

I don't carry a live round while packing either. I know a lot of people carry "condition 1!" at all times but it's not for me.
There was some idiot that dropped his 454 casul in a Sportsman Warehouse up here while sitting on the crapper and it went off. No one got hurt but dang can you imagine the blast.
Why the fuck would you carry a .454 in town?

Why the fuck would you carry a .454 in town?

Exactly. I will say that it was in soldotna alaska so people are close to bear country, but dang.

It was a Freedom Arms so it probably had a 7" barrel. They have a 5shot cylinder and will fire if the hammer his hit without the the trigger engaged.

The story belo happened really close to Soldotna so some people carry a little extra power.
.454 Alaskan FTW

Story and picks below.

Last edited:
Back