Ilk's Log - Boxing, soccer, conditioning

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Wanted to start a log of my own in here as it feels like a great community.

Goals get in a fighting shape and learn to fight. Get some cardio and strength on the way.

I have been doing some dutch kick boxing, boxing and wrestling the past two years with lots off days in between due to my job. I have also been working the past year. My goal is to get in shape so I can do 1 amateur fight one day.

Height 175 sm.
Weight 87 kg.

Weight update:
01.02.2018 - 85,5 kg - my goal was to hit 85 by March, but it seems I can get closer to 83 actually.
07.02.2018 - weight update - 85,2 kg
13.02.2018 - weight update - 84.4 kg
19.02.2018 - weight update 84 kg
27.02.2018 - weight update 83.5 kg
06.03.2018 - weight update 83.5 kg
24.03.2018 - weigh update 82 kg
15.04.2018 - weight update 80 kg

New goals: I just recently separated from my fiance and it pains me, but in the process of being with her I kind of lost myself in personal and professional plan. So I am really trying to find myself and who I am. I have always loved to sports - soccer and fight sports. But I started enjoying lifting and running too.

My new goal is to find myself. And I have decided that fitness, conditioning and boxing will help me out in this path.

Short term:
I have been doing small general conditioning the past 2 months - November and December. January and February will be my burn out months. I want to work out as much as possible and create a habit of working out and pushing myself to do more and more.

My weekly plan looks like the following for the next 6 weeks until early March
- 2 times boxing classes
- 3 times Strength training - thanks Sano for the plan
- 2 times kind of conditioning work out with a couple of palls - we lift weights in a cross fit style
- run at least once per week, preferably twice or more

I plan to Schedule it:

Monday - boxing and Strength A
Tuesday - lifting with friends
Wednesday - Strength B
Thursday - boxing
Friday - lifting with friends
Saturday - Strength A
Sunday - running

I will try to put some running where ever is possible. Planning on doing short soccer sprints - 30-40 meters but not possible as long as it is snowing.

I plan to be 85 kg by March. - Goal completed - 83.5 kg on March 6th!

Mid Term: After March I will start working and still have no idea how my schedule will be, but I will stick to some BB program. I will try to hit 80 kg until June or July. I am going to train though. I want to make working out a way of life.

After I hit 80 I will try to build some muscle.

Updates 06.03.2018

I am going to pull a new hypertrophy and strength mixed program in the next 9 weeks approximately.
I also have not so much time for work outs so I am upping the intensity by a lot, while I will keep the weights low initially.

This is how the new program will look like:

Day 1
Squad - 3 warm up sets - 10,8,5 reps
4 Strength Sets - 4 reps
1 or 2 additional sets - 8-10 reps

DL - 3 warm up sets
4 Strenght Sets x 5 reps

Super Set 1:
1 leg exercise - lunges, BG squat, walking lunges - looking for 40-50 per leg
lat rises - 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps

Super Set 2:
hamstring curles - 3-4 sets x 10 reps
calves - 3-4 sets x 10 reps

Day 2
Bench - 3 warm up sets
4 Strenght Sets
1 or 2 additional sets - could be inclined or declined or both

Vertical Pull - 3-4 sets x 10 reps
Horizontal Pull - 3-4 sets x 10 reps

Super Set 1:
biceps curl 3-4 sets x 12-15
triceps work 3-4 sets x 12-15

Super set 2:
Shrugs - 3-4 sets x 10 reps
reverse flyes - 3-4 sets x 10 reps

Rest 1 day

Day 3

Squad - 3 warm up sets - 10,8,5 reps
4 Strength Sets - 4 reps

Romanian DL -
3 sets x 10

OHP - 3 warm up sets - there is 2 days rest afterwards so plenty of time for recovery
4 Strenght Sets x 5 reps

Super Set 1:
1 leg exercise - lunges, BG squat, walking lunges - looking for 40-50 per leg
lat rises - 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps

Super Set 2:
hamstring curles - 3-4 sets x 10 reps
calves - 3-4 sets x 10 reps

Day 4

Bench - 3 warm up sets
4 Strenght Sets
1 or 2 additional sets - could be inclined or declined or both

Vertical Pull - 3-4 sets x 10 reps
Horizontal Pull - 3-4 sets x 10 reps

Super Set 1:
biceps curl 3-4 sets x 12-15
triceps work 3-4 sets x 12-15

Super set 2:
Shrugs - 3-4 sets x 10 reps
reverse flyes - 3-4 sets x 10 reps

Rest 2 days

I will start to work with less sets in the beginning where I doubt about the number of sets and adjust to volume accordingly. Going to experiment a bit with the volume and intensity.
Possibly adding some boxing, soccer or running here and there, but I am really focused more on hypertrophy now for the next few weeks.

Weight Update: 83.5 kg seems like I havent lost weight this week, but I did not have time to manage my meals well. I will try to work on that one.
Goal weight by the end of the 9th weeks: 81 kg
Goal update: stick to this 9 week program! It is going to bust my ass with intensity, work, driving licence and etc.

Last edited:
Doing some morning lower body. I felt very good and fresh after yesterdays work out.

12.03.17 lower body

Warm up 3 rounds x 2 min shadow boxing

Static streching
3x10x70 kg deadweight
3x10x50 kg front squad still feeling arm pain

Leg streches after every set.

4x back hyper extendions
4x70 kg calfs

Some core work.

Finished with some technique work practicing front leg kicks and my cross. Working mainly on form.

Planning on a cardio work out at the evening perhaps some LISS and some shadow boxing. Msy also active recover with some yoga.

Edit. Add:
Finished with the Yoga. Did some routine for the upper back and shoulders.

Finished a 25 min LISS at 1900 m altitude.

Last edited:
13-14.03.17 gonna be rest days as I am working from 8 am till 11 pm for both days. Researching some Yoga stretches these days as my pain at the upper back, right shoulder and arm are still killing me.

Today is a great day. Finally going to hit the gym and the forest for some cardio.

Going to edit this post adding what I have done trough the day.

15.03.17 Strenght training upper body shoulders training

Warm up 3 rounds x 2 min shadow boxing
4x10x40 kg military press
4x10x50 kg dumbel bench press
3x10 assisted chin ups
3x10x50kg rows
Technique training between the sets for my cross and 1-2
4x10x10 kg lateral rises
2x15 biceps and 2x15 triceps work
Grip work
Shadow boxing 3 rounds working on side steps and jab/cross.

Last edited:
Fail day. My colleagues and the restaurant hottie dragged me to a club to party. Dont tell my girlfriend. I drank too much and felt like shit the entire day. At least I practiced my flirting skills with a waitress haha.

Just 30 mins LISS road work at the mountine hills.

Added 13 rounds of slow shadow boxing cause I felt guilty I havent done anything today.

Worked on footwork for about 3 rounds and the rest of the rounds I was trying to always move. Simple combos with level changes. In general this was my greatest shadow boxing session in awhile. Noticed I lack ballance.

Last edited:
2 days rest days due to work.

19.03.2017 lower body work out
Warm up 2 rounds x2 muns shadow boxing
3x10x60 kg squats
5x15x60 kg calves
4x15x5 kg hyper extensions
3x10x20 kg lunges
2x15 leg rises
2x15 biceps curls
2x15 triceps work

Ran out of time to warm down stretch and etc.

Pretty sick 25 min combination of LISS and high intensive low tempo cardio at the hills of a mountine at 2000 m altitude. I feel fantastic this morning.

Going to add some shadow boxing and some Some upper body routine later today.

Upper body and technique training

3x10x50kg bench press
3x10x50kg rows
3x10x40 kg inclined bench press
3x8 assisted chin ups
3x8 dips
2x15 skull crashers
2x15 biceps work
few mins grip work

very slow 2 min shadow boxing rounds between sets observing technique in a mirror.

Not gonna add weight this week. I will add more intensity to get the work out more enduarance oriented, adding weight next week.

Last edited:
Been travelling the last days so I am finally home with some work outs. Did not want to take it hard but just work the muscles.

Lower body Dead Weights.

4x8x60 kg deadweight
4x10x80 kg leg press
4x12x35 leg curls for the ass
4x12x40kg calfs
some core work

Doing some cardio today. 1 hour of soccer with lots of running and sprints.

Did a private session with a boxing coach. Nice to get back to a normal fighting gym. Did about 8 rounds of pad work, 3 rounds of partner drills and then some cardio circuits for finishers.

07.04.2017 - 1 hour soccer which was insanely high tempo
08.04.2017 - upper body work

09.04.2017 1.5 hours soccer long cardio night I felt really exosted.

10.04.2017 whole body work out
That is going to be my last work out for awhile due to travelling to Ukraine to visit my gf and get to know her parents and relatives.

I would love to find a local boxing gym for a private session there considering how good is their school but I doubt. My gf grandfather is also an ex boxer lets see if the old man would like to teach me something.

Damn I forgot about this log. I have been doing 5x weight work again working light because of a long rest and I had 2 soccer games for the last approximately 10 days.

08.05.2017 - morning upper body work out and tennis at the afternoon. God damn the tennis is exhausting sprinting here and there and engaging your core in every hit. I did not expect it to be that hard.

10.05.17 lower body Squad and some core work

Warm up and 2 rounds of bag work

Squad - 3x8x 75 kg

1 round of bag work

leg raises of the back side - 3x12x45kg

walking lunges - 3x24 (12 each leg) x 20kg

calfs - 4x15 x 50kg

back extensions - 3x12 body weight

leg raises - 3x12

wood chops - 2x20 x20 kg - each side 10 times

some crunches

Morning
Upper body work Bench Press

Bench Press 3x8x60kg
Barbell Rows - 3x10x50kg
Inclined Bench Press 3x8x50kg
Pull Downs - 3x10x55kg
Butterfly - 3x12x40 kg
some dips, some biceps and triceps work

Few rounds on the back I do not remember how many exactly. I was not really up to work out today...

Afternoon
16 rounds of a kick boxing work out (partner drills, technique drills) ending with 5 rounds of a spar

Last edited:

Lower Body work Deadlift

Deadlift 3x8x80kg
Leg Press - 3x12x110 kg - after finishing a set Calf work - 3x15x110kg
Leg curls for the back side - 3x12x45 kg
Back extensions 3x15 body weight
Power Cleans - 3x8x40 kg - working on technique mainly

I did some bag work between rounds - but mostly for technique as my left wrist is hurt so can not even jab. Here a short video of a bag work:

Cardio
I did a short LISS work of 30 mins run at the evening.

Last edited:
how often are you practicing martial arts or combat sport? lot of weights and soccer/tennis. Good effort with working hard at what youre doing though!!

Back