80s Italo Disco

That haircut

dhMeAzK.gif

Before Gangsta Rap broke out in the late 80s, it was the mean studios of Italo Disco that were gang-infested territory .

Baby's Gang: So bad, they made the shuttle explode (& just look at those grim euro-projects)

Crusin' Gang: So tuff, they jacked Propaganda's beatz and left them kneecapped in a Milan dungeon. (I like the dull beach/shitty carny atmosphere video. Contrast with the bling sunny carribean vids of soft poser modern RnB vids)

Camaro's Gang: So ruff, they could only be named after the ultimate 80's badman car. And name their song after the ultimate boxing rebel.

Crazy Gang: one of Claudio Simonetti's alaises.
Apparently Claudio was banging Miss Italy and earstwhile time post-apoc b movie babe Anna Kanakis for a while - married for a couple of years in her prime, then moved on. So ask yourself: Who's the Mack?

Listen or else!
2yla8t2.jpg

hmmm, maybe I should fire up the DX7, join the italo revival and start praying for some light nuclear rain if it means I can score this kinda talent...

A batch of trax with vox by Dora Carofiglio who was named 'best singer of Italo Disco' by aficionados.

Youtube keeps taking some of these down (why?! is it cutting into someones used vinyl profits? :rolleyes:) so save em if you like em. I was waiting for the Bette Davis Eyes one to reappear before posting this (took a while). Because music had to exist in a physical format back then (weird I know) some countries had high tax on imports, so local artists would record casio-disco covers of popular tunes for their domestic market. Bette Davis Eyes seemed to be a popular choice for this treatment. Sadly modern technology means there is no incentive for this kind of practice today :(

The Voyagers - Distant Planet
290287352795.jpg

A particular favorite. Check out the Trve Kvlt Mvtl cover art!

Chinatown - Bette Davis Eyes

Shirley Ross - If You Leave Me Now

Another cover. I'd rather listen to this then the original.
Having someone with a thick accent recording under an uber-WASPy pseudonym is one of my favorite 'lolItalo' things.

Funky Family - Funky is On

This is the kind of weird-sounding Italo I like best.

Valerie Dore - King Arthur

the Valerie Dore songs were all sung by Dora. The face for the videos/records/performances was a producer's model girlfriend ('but you said you'd make me a popstar!').

Last edited:
I did not know that, but it explains why most of Valerie Dore's performances were a little over the top. But that is what made it good!

Before Gangsta Rap broke out in the late 80s, it was the mean studios of Italo Disco that were gang-infested territory .

Baby's Gang: So bad, they made the shuttle explode (& just look at those grim euro-projects)

Crusin' Gang: So tuff, they jacked Propaganda's beatz and left them kneecapped in a Milan dungeon. (I like the dull beach/shitty carny atmosphere video. Contrast with the bling sunny carribean vids of soft poser modern RnB vids)

Camaro's Gang: So ruff, they could only be named after the ultimate 80's badman car. And name their song after the ultimate boxing rebel.

Crazy Gang: one of Claudio Simonetti's alaises.
Apparently Claudio was banging Miss Italy and earstwhile time post-apoc b movie babe Anna Kanakis for a while - married for a couple of years in her prime, then moved on. So ask yourself: Who's the Mack?

Listen or else!
2yla8t2.jpg

hmmm, maybe I should fire up the DX7, join the italo revival and start praying for some light nuclear rain if it means I can score this kinda talent...

you'd better off with an akai ax60 bro as the dx7 doesnt have an arpegiator.

Back