The All-Purpose Rugby Thread (League and Union): Champions Cup Semi-Finals on Today

Same - he was poor against England in the 6N, but he showed what a skilful player he can be today. Really impressed with Williams/Daly so far and I thought Watson did okay when asked.

Midfield hasn't looked as good - our centres haven't done much so far, although T'eo on SBW was a good hit. Dunno why was a pen.

Actually that's unfair - Davis has done well, T'eo less so.

Lions played okay and were still well beaten.

I fear worse is to come, too.

Actually that's unfair - Davis has done well, T'eo less so.

Te'o was alright just, didn't see much of the attacking threat he showed in the other games (and he's certainly capable), but he did a job on Sonny Bill. Two of them seemed to neutralise one another.

In the Pro Rugby era Lions don't have enough time to gel as a team.

Yeah, that's part of it...certainly not as simple as "oh these are the best players from five countries, they should beat one country". Even disregarding how good that one country is.

Te'o was alright just, didn't see much of the attacking threat he showed in the other games (and he's certainly capable), but he did a job on Sonny Bill. Two of them seemed to neutralise one another.

Fair point, didn't see an awful lot from SBW either. Was a decent battle, that.

Second row has to change next week. AWJ out, Itoje in. I'd also make a case for Lawes over Kruis, who was poor in the loose today. Also might be worth bringing Marler back in - think they missed his bite, if not his infringement count.

Fair point, didn't see an awful lot from SBW either. Was a decent battle, that.

Second row has to change next week. AWJ out, Itoje in. I'd also make a case for Lawes over Kruis, who was poor in the loose today. Also might be worth bringing Marler back in - think they missed his bite, if not his infringement count.

Yeah definitely agree about Itoje, AWJ was very poor. Though Itoje is another penalty machine, he needs a cooler head which will come with time tbf.

He won't be, but even though he is tour captain Warburton should be replaced on the bench. Absolutely useless today when he came on, zero impact, I like him a lot but he is really not in form.

And am biased and all but I also think Rory Best needs in the squad for the next test, his throwing can be iffy (not sure why, he is mostly solid for Ulster and Ireland, it must be some psychological thing) but at the breakdown and in the loose he is one of the best hookers in the world.

Yeah definitely agree about Itoje, AWJ was very poor. Though Itoje is another penalty machine, he needs a cooler head which will come with time tbf.

He won't be, but even though he is tour captain Warburton should be replaced on the bench. Absolutely useless today when he came on, zero impact, I like him a lot but he is really not in form.

And am biased and all but I also think Rory Best needs in the squad for the next test, his throwing can be iffy (not sure why, he is mostly solid for Ulster and Ireland, it must be some psychological thing) but at the breakdown and in the loose he is one of the best hookers in the world.

Agreed on Best. I didn't think Owens looked all that hot when he replaced George, and George struggled a bit in the scrum today.

Warburton's funny. He's been well off form recently, but I wouldn't put it past him to explode out of nowhere and put in a world class 40 minutes at some stage.

Sad to see a poor crowd for the Wallabies... Rugby Union is having a bad time in Australia.

Exciting game in the end, tbh the draw was probably a fair result. Suppose the lions should be more disappointed to throw away the lead though. A few great performances, Hendo and Lawes were both immense. Thought Hendo was better but the fact that Lawes was taken off early might suggest he will be picked for the test, and Hendo's yellow card might cost him.Hope not though. And tbh Joseph lifting his other leg is what caused the player going over the horizontal I think. North is pretty much a beast at centre as well.

But what the fuck was Gatland doing picking a bunch of shithouse welsh players on the bench and then not being able to bring them on because they mostly weren't even good enough to be there??? Could have made a difference anyway, I am sure loads of those guys are shattered.

Also one thing this tour has shown is that the depth in NZ rugby is just ridiculous. Of course you can criticise the best of Ireland and Britain struggling against the Super Rugby club sides (even discounting the importance of team cohesion/partnerships) and the Lions should be expected to beat them, but you can't deny their quality either and most of the games have been fun. The NZ club sides are so far ahead of everyone else in Super Rugby.

Ngani Laumape is some player as well, he's been tearing up Super Rugby this year. Think he'll find a spot in the ABs for one of the tests. I knew him already from watching the Warriors, they'll be sorry he left and are stuck with Solomone Kata :lol: Though I think he always wanted to go back to union.

Also one thing this tour has shown is that the depth in NZ rugby is just ridiculous. Of course you can criticise the best of Ireland and Britain struggling against the Super Rugby club sides (even discounting the importance of team cohesion/partnerships) and the Lions should be expected to beat them, but you can't deny their quality either and most of the games have been fun. The NZ club sides are so far ahead of everyone else in Super Rugby.

Ngani Laumape is some player as well, he's been tearing up Super Rugby this year. Think he'll find a spot in the ABs for one of the tests. I knew him already from watching the Warriors, they'll be sorry he left and are stuck with Solomone Kata :lol: Though I think he always wanted to go back to union.

Im a Hurricanes fan born and bred. And Laumape, Aso and before he got injuried Proctor( another league convert ) have been playing lights out for us. But with that said I do not believe Laumape should be in the starting side, as Ive seen many people online clamoring for. Sure he smashed tackles on Tuesday, but he also turned over ball, played selfishly at times and lacked vision when he had the ball. I think he will be better off the bench possibly replacing Sonny Bill at the 65 minute mark when the Lions are tired from all that tackling around the ruck.

It's actually a pretty decent Lions squad, imo........just unfortunate to come against this NZ machine.

If they were against South Africa or Australia they'd probably win 3-0, imo.

Im a Hurricanes fan born and bred. And Laumape, Aso and before he got injuried Proctor( another league convert ) have been playing lights out for us. But with that said I do not believe Laumape should be in the starting side, as Ive seen many people online clamoring for. Sure he smashed tackles on Tuesday, but he also turned over ball, played selfishly at times and lacked vision when he had the ball. I think he will be better off the bench possibly replacing Sonny Bill at the 65 minute mark when the Lions are tired from all that tackling around the ruck.

Nah no way would he start, but replacing Sonny Bill late in the match would be a perfect introduction for him (unfortunately for us). He is a great player, he did play union first of all but was poached by league. Like a lot of the top kiwi league players lol.

It's actually a pretty decent Lions squad, imo........just unfortunate to come against this NZ machine.

If they were against South Africa or Australia they'd probably win 3-0, imo.

Agreed especially with how shit both of those two have been performing recently. Though SA played a bit better vs France.

Last edited:
Back