Beards, Barbells, and Beer

I didn't make it to the gym at all last week. My new job tends to have a lot of last minute meetings so I need to go when I can rather than going at a specific time.

Tues May 16, 2017

Conditioning

- C2 rower: 3 minute warm-up
- 10 minutes each on treadmill, stairmill, elliptical

My wife wanted a FitBit so I got both of us one for Mother's Day. So I can tell you that my average HR was 134 and peak HR was 148. A lot of the time was spent around 140 but the warm-up plus transitions brought it down a bit.

Thurs May 18, 2017

Conditioning

- Treadmill: 13 minutes
- Elliptical: 10 minutes
- Stairmill: 11 minutes

Did the warm-up on the treadmill instead of C2, added one extra minute at the end. 3+31 minutes total. Average HR was 132.

Thurs May 25, 2017

C2 rower, dynamic stretching

- Squats
45x8
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x5
175x5
185x5
165x5

Did chin-ups between sets, 2-3 per set, about 25 total

- Lunges: 3x10/side
- Facepulls: 5x15, 30 lb
- Triceps extensions: 3x10, 30 lb

My legs are going to be so sore tomorrow. Average HR was 125 so this was kinda like doing LISS?

So when are you going to get back on the horse, Doc?

How's the fam doing?

Finn is doing great. He's been on solids for about a month now and getting the hang of eating finger foods. Rolling around like its going out of style but not crawling yet. My wife doesn't love the repetitiveness of being home all the time and right now is finding it to be a bit of a grind. She tends to be up and down depending on how well Finn is sleeping.

I'm still navigating my new job but have realized it's fairly laid back so have started going to the gym more often. The one issue is that I tend to have more last-minute meetings so I just have to get to the gym when I can rather than trying to plan my weeks in advance. I still feel like I need to keep my trips to 1 hour total which only leaves about 35 minutes of gym time but it's better than nothing.

Fri May 26, 2017

Conditioning

- Treadmill: 8 minutes (gym was so humid that a large vent was dripping on the treadmills so I jumped to ellipticals early)
- Elliptical: 12 minutes
- Stairmill: 13 minutes

33 minutes total. Average HR was 134 but boy were my legs burning the entire time form yesterday's squats.

I got the rest of my hockey schedule today and get to play 3 games in June and zero in August. I expected to get 4-5 regular season games so this is fine but I was hoping to get a couple in June and a couple in August. Oh well!

My wife was the same. She got antsy with Charlotte and returned to work a little early, like 2 weeks.

Those months when they're home all day drives them bonkers and I recommend doing whatever she wants no matter how insane it sounds. LOL

Mon May 29, 2017

Conditioning

Average HR 134, peak 146. Sweaty as fuck.

Wed May 31, 2017

Conditioning

C2: 10 minutes
Treadmill: 11 minutes
Stairmill: 12 minutes

Average HR 138, peak 152.

Had some last minute stuff to do at work Friday afternoon so.missed the gym.

Played hockey on Sunday and actually had a great game. Ended with 2 goals, 1 assist and +3 despite the team losing 9-6. We are short centers this season and it really showed. My line was the only line playing consistently well all game.

My cardio felt good overall but I didn't have a lot of jump which kinda makes sense since I just been.doing LISS. Bette than gassing in the third period.

I get to play two.more games in June before we have 3 late games to.end the short Summer season. Hopefully we have earlier games in the playoffs so I can.play a few.

Tues June 6, 2017

Conditioning

Average HR 133, peak 144. Probably won't get to the gym again this week but at least I play hockey on Sunday.

Sun June 11, 2017

Hockey

Played the first place team. We put up a good effort but ended up losing 6-3. They had one guy who was far too good to be in our division (13 points in 3 games) and he was the difference in the end. I had a good game, with 1 goal and 1 assist. Our top scorer was completely shut down and we were missing two of our better forwards so despite not being over-played we didn't really have many offensive chances.

Wed June 14, 2017

Conditioning

Treadmill: 17 minutes
Stairmill: 17 minutes

Average HR: 132, Peak: 145.

I went to a butter tart festival on Saturday and bought way too many tarts and thus have eaten way too many in the last 4 days. I feel like I put on the 2 lb that I'd lost since the beginning of May. Oh well, they are so good!

Oh hey log, it's been a few weeks!

Friday July 7, 2017

Warmed up on the C2 and then did a circuit of bw squats, push-ups, and 60 lb barbell rows with an aerobics bar. Just wanted to get moving.

Tues July 11, 2017

- Deadlifts
45x10
135x5
165x3
195x3
225x3
245x2
255x2
275x1
275x1
275x1

So weak! Most noticeably my hands and my.forearms are sore tonight.

- Bench
45x10
65x10
75x10
95x10
105x10
115x10

That's all I had time for. In the Fall my GoodLife membership runs out and I'll probably join the gym in my office building. I expect it to kinda suck but it doesn't look that busy so as long as there is a squat rack and some free weights I'll be good.

Thurs July 13, 2017

-Squats
45x8
65x5
95x5
115x5
135x5
135x5
145x5
155x5

- Cable rows
45x10
60x10
75x10
90x10
105x10
105x10
105x10

Took a few sets for my squats to feel okay. My legs are slightly sore today so I think this was a good amount to get started up with.

Last Monday I had a small spot removed.from my back so had to take it easy for a few days. Then lunch with my hockey team on Thursday and some last minute meetings on Friday meant no gym last week.

Mon July 24, 2017

Conditioning

Warmed up on the C2 then did 20 minutes of intervals on the stairmill. 40 seconds on, 40 seconds off. Average HR 147, peak 169. HR dropped to around 125-130 during off intervals.

Hockey playoffs start this weekend and I can only play the first game so it's a must-win!

Sunday July 30, 2017

Hockey
My first game in about a month and it was the first game of the playoffs. I haven't been hitting the gym much so my cardio felt like crap. We were also short skaters to start so I took it easy for the first couple shifts. We quickly built up a 3-0 lead in the first period and looked to be taking control of the game.

However in the second period the momentum shifted and our opponents scored three straight goals to tie it 3-3. In the third period things started to get chippy which seemed to give us a boost of energy. We took 4 penalties in the period (other team got zero, WTF?) but we actually took control of the game and scored two short-handed goals.

Our opponents were missing their best player so we were able to focus on their other top guy and shut him and the rest of their offense down to finish off the game.

Our next game is next Wednesday at 10:45pm, which is bullshit. Already 5 of our players won't be able to play (myself included) so its basically a write-off. So it's really good that we won this game because in our playoff format you usually just need one win to make it through to the semi-finals. That game will be Aug 20 so I have 3 weeks to get in more cardio and not feel so sluggish.

Wed Aug 2, 2017

Conditioning

Was planning on going to the gym yesterday but even though I started the day with 2 meetings booked I ended the day with 5! And then today I had a meeting right after lunch and another later in the day so I squeezed in a gym trip in between.

Did 25 minutes of intervals on the treadmill. I used the treadmill because you can control the intervals more than on the stairmill, did 30 seconds on, 45 seconds off.

Saturday and Monday I spent a combined total of 12 hours working in my yard. I was digging a trench roughly 18" wide by 18" deep around my shed to install mesh to keep critters from.digging under. Last year a groundhog burrowed under and now the space is being shared by the groundhog, a family if raccoons and a skunk. So it's time to evict them all. Anyway, I figure that counts as two days of exercise

Tues Aug 8, 2017

Conditioning

Did 11 minutes on the treadmill and my right shin was bothering me a bit so I finished with 20 minutes on the stairmill. Average HR 136, peak 148.

My weight has crept up.a bit to 224. Not the direction I want it to go. Gotta cut out the junk.

I know as I've got older, I really need to be careful with monitoring what / how much I eat - it never used to be a problem at all, but with a sedentary job, I can't get away with it.

Yeah I went from hockey twice/week and the gym at least a couple times/week to hockey once or twice/month and the gym maybe twice/week if I'm lucky. Plus I'm snacking more because we are tired at night and just want to crash in front of the TV for an hour or two before bed.

Aug 18, 2017

C2, dynamic stretching

- Deadlifts
45x10
135x5
165x5
195x5
225x3
250x3
275x2
295x2
315x1
335x1
350x1
225x5

No belt, no chalk. This felt pretty close to my max. So I haven't lost all the strength I had but I doubt that I could pull 405 right now.

Finished with facepulls and push-ups. I'm gonna check out the gym in my office building soon (current GoodLife membership runs out in October). Hopefully they have barbells. It would be nice to have the gym so close because the time I currently spend walking to the gym.could be workout time instead.

Had a message yesterday. She worked on my back.and shoulders a lot which felt good though today my left shoulder is stiff.

Mon Aug 21, 2017

- Bench
45x10
65x8
85x8
95x6
105x6
115x6
125x6
135x6

- Wide grip rows
45x10
60x10
75x10
90x10
90x10
90x10

My left shoulder was stiff this morning but after getting warmed up it felt okay. Today (Tuesday) it feels back to normal. I'm thinking the tightness and soreness was just left over from the massage on Saturday. I guess maybe it was a bit swollen because she was frickin' givin'er.

Tues Aug 29, 2017

-Deadlifts
45x10
135x5
135x5
165x5
195x5
225x3
255x3
285x2
315x1x6 (singles)

- Facepulls: 4x15

Just happy to be making it to the gym.

Weight was 223.3 this morning, so basically the same as at the start of the Summer.

Back