No desire to learn anything remotely fancy

1PBCE1

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Full guard, half guard, side control, mount, back control and reluctantly a bit of de la Riva for emergencies are all I ever put any time into and all I have any passion to learn.

Seriously, anything other than that, even spider or deep half, I find mundane. Show me some lapel-worm trickery and I might fall asleep.

Is anyone else (other than Roger) the same?

I am the same way. I think people like us just have no interest in techniques that are only sport oriented. My only advise is to be patient with your instructor when he shows the fancy stuff because it's hard to keep students interested if you teach the same basic over and over again ( and he may get bored showing the same moves over again) plus other student do want to learn sport bjj techniques so they can win their local tournaments. Basically I learned over the years to stick to my convictions to only do street applicable bjj techniques but not be a snob to those that like and enjoy sport bjj

I do like going over bigger techniques and throws in judo, but I always stick to what I am good at, and these are the classical competition throws with a good set up. Whatever works: works.

i find it better to know something i don't need than need something i don't know...

The sport is constantly evolving. What seems 'fancy' today might become the norm tomorrow (that is, if it survives the evolutionary process by proving to be useful and effective).

The sport is constantly evolving. What seems 'fancy' today might become the norm tomorrow (that is, if it survives the evolutionary process by proving to be useful and effective).

The techniques people are winning championships with if anything aren't fancy but fundamental high percentage moves.

Full guard, half guard, side control, mount, back control and reluctantly a bit of de la Riva for emergencies are all I ever put any time into and all I have any passion to learn.

Seriously, anything other than that, even spider or deep half, I find mundane. Show me some lapel-worm trickery and I might fall asleep.

Is anyone else (other than Roger) the same?

Deep half and spider aren't particularly "fancy".
You don't suddenly end up using movements that you wouldn't need otherwise.

Admittedly, stuff like worm guard is a bit esoteric, but you're not doing any movements that are that different from the "basics".
E.g., one of the primary threats from the worm guard is the stand-up sweep which is a modified technical stand up.

Half guard you say? De La Whosa? I, too, have refused to take on new information since my first six months of training, and I'll have you know that here in 2006 those are fancy-schmancy competition techniques that don't work in nightclub fights. The only thing a white belt needs to know is grimly clinging to closed guard until someone gasses.

The techniques people are winning championships with if anything aren't fancy but fundamental high percentage moves.
Not being an ass, really, but do you consider the berimbolo not-fancy?

It's just a different application of inverting (which has been around for a long time) and a handful of the best competitors got ridiculously good at.

Not being an ass, really, but do you consider the berimbolo not-fancy?

It's a very good move and I don't consider it needlessly complicated or decorative.
Everyone who plays de la riva should know it as it obsoletes the traditional version of the back step pass.
Yes, it does look cool but I consider that purely an advantage.

Last edited:
I think there is nothing wrong to have a basic game if that's what you like/works for you. Even if I like de la riva and the berimbolo, and a lot of other modern stuff, I find fundamentals executed perfectly way more captivating than all the rest.

However, you'll have to know how to defend the new stuff, and sometimes having yourself a grasp of how it works in first person and being capable of executing it at least in a basic fashion helps tremendously..

Brown belt here and I know a lot of the new stuff but when out against a higher belt or better grappler I have some very solid fundamentals that I go to with great success. That being said I do like when guys try worm guard or any of the new stuff on me because well I have to learn how to defend and defeat it. I don't really try it myself but have become very good at defeating it.

A lot of that shit that's kinda stupid works really well on people who aren't initiated in it. If no one on your team loves BJJ and tries to get good at it, your whole team will be shit out of luck against the next guy you come across that can do it.

I don't think Maia and jacare use any 'fancy' stuff in their mma fights.

And I thought everyone in this section was on the older side. Aren't you guys too injured to go inverted anyway?

And I thought everyone in this section was on the older side. Aren't you guys too injured to go inverted anyway?

Depends on how much of a basic bitch you are. I learned spider guard sweeps on accident and still find them fancy.

The more I learn and that I actually see the techniques the less I find them fancy.

I also realised that because people just sitting in your guard is rare, DLR, X guard, butterfly guard and other stuff are not just fancy but are essential when the other guy is on one knee or on is feet.

Last week we learned a slick sequence with a DLR sweep, going berimbolo and then taking the back. So if you add the berimbolo move you are able to take the back and if you don't use it you are in half guard if your Lucky. I think it Worth the 10 minutes it took to show it to us.

I think it was Amiyama vs Belcher where Akiyama hit that beautiful deep half sweep.

I'm 38, and I go inverted all the time. I'm small and wiley, though.

TS, you must be a purple by now?

Brown belt here. I could teach my A game half guard and my A game pressure pass to a day-one white belt. I try to be as reductive as possible in my training, so I could easily pass off a couple important details that would grant basic proficiency, even to a n00b. The details that make my game effective at a higher level seem exhaustive, but they are all variations on a simple theme.

How does this connect to TS? I fully support the idea of building a basic game. I advise you to find a couple positions you like and dive head first in. You'll see how easily the 'fancy' stuff comes when you have a solid grasp of your fundamentals.

Back