Was Ward's beautiful performance against Kovalev in the rematch the best performance of the year?

I'm not a Kovalev fan. Ward is a dirty fighter. If you don't admit that you're not in touch with reality.
Ward is one of the grittiest most determined boxers in the history of the sport, there is so much to admire in him. Is he a bit dirty? Yes, probably. But if someone mentions Andre Ward and the only thing you can say is "he's dirty", then you have an agenda.

Also, you don't think people have fought dirty against Ward? The difference between him and Kovalev is that he doesn't quit when that happens.

Ward is one of the grittiest most determined boxers in the history of the sport, there is so much to admire in him. Is he a bit dirty? Yes, probably. But whenever someone mentions Andre Ward and the only thing you can say is "he's dirty", then you have an agenda.

Also, you don't think people have fought dirty against Ward? The difference between him and Kovalev is that he doesn't quit when that happens.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of cheating which is what fighting dirty is. So I'm not going to go out of my way to laud Ward.

And this is independent of Kovalev, who acted like a bitch and whose brand is ruined.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of cheating which is what fighting dirty is. So I'm not going to go out of my way to laud Ward.

And this is independent of Kovalev, who acted like a bitch and whose brand is ruined.

Thats very disingenuous. Being dirty is not the same as cheating, don't muddy the waters. Taking PEDs is cheating. Being dirty is pushing the rulebook as far as possible to gain advantage. Every sport coaches "being dirty" to some degree, i played high school ball and our coach taught us all the tricks. Everyone who's played organized sports knows its not the same as cheating.

Ward is one of the grittiest most determined boxers in the history of the sport, there is so much to admire in him. Is he a bit dirty? Yes, probably. But if someone mentions Andre Ward and the only thing you can say is "he's dirty", then you have an agenda.

If someone mentions Andre Ward and can only say he is "probably" dirty they probably have an agenda.

He is as dirty as they come.

Does that mean he's not great? Nope he is a great fighter undoubtedly. If not for lawsuits and injuries he could already be a legend in the sport instead of just somewhere on the top of the p4p list. For a guy without incredible power or speed he's accomplished amazing things. That being said he is absolutely dirty. Always has been. We've discussed it here for years and even his biggest fans agree.

If someone mentions Andre Ward and can only say he is "probably" dirty they probably have an agenda.

He is as dirty as they come.

Does that mean he's not great? Nope he is a great fighter undoubtedly. If not for lawsuits and injuries he could already be a legend in the sport instead of just somewhere on the top of the p4p list. For a guy without incredible power or speed he's accomplished amazing things. That being said he is absolutely dirty. Always has been. We've discussed it here for years and even his biggest fans agree.
For real, all you can come up with is this? There is no agenda in me actually acknowledging Ward's dirty tactics, however your fixation with exploring just how dirty his tactics are in a thread that was originally about acknowledging Ward's achievement, thats called having an agenda. Start a thread about Ward being dirty, i'd happily discuss that.

Simply put, there are a group of people out there who cant stop themselves from bitching about Ward being dirty every time someone says anything remotely positive about him. And it's not really about him being dirty, they (you) just don't like the guy.

Last edited:
For real, all you can come up with is this? There is no agenda in me actually acknowledging Ward's dirty tactics, however your fixation with exploring just how dirty his tactics are in a thread that was originally about acknowledging Ward's achievement, thats called having an agenda. Start a thread about Ward being dirty, i'd happily discuss that.

But the fact is that there are a bunch of turds out there who cant stop themselves from bitching about Ward being dirty every time someone says anything remotely positive about him. Its not about him being dirty, they (you) just dont like the guy.
World class inside fighters usually do have dirty tricks. As long as they aren't doing what golota did to Bowe or use their head like Ortiz did vs floy or bite part of someone's ear off then they tend to get away with warnings. It's happened since forever.

Ward is a dirty fighter but he's also an artist in the ring. If he was just a dirty brawler I wouldn't watch him. To get in close and tear it up with the big bad wolf and make the most feared man in the division basically quit...fucking brilliant.
{<redford}

Simply put, there are a group of people out there who cant stop themselves from bitching about Ward being dirty every time someone says anything remotely positive about him. And it's not really about him being dirty, they (you) just don't like the guy.

First of all I replied to YOU discussing how dirty Ward is. I didn't bring it up at all buddy. So saying I'm fixated is ridiculous. I acknowledge how incredible of a fighter he is and how I lament the fact his career has been sidelined multiple times due to different circumstances. I'm not a Ward fan at all but I'm not an idiot either. He's great. He's also dirty, not "probably" dirty.

Someone can call him dirty(you)without bursting into flames. Look at the two guys who posted above this post. They seriously know boxing. They love Ward. They know he's dirty. There is no "probably" about it at all. Nothing wrong with that at all. Some of the best fighters of all time fought dirty. Almost every fighter does dirty shit occasionally. My favorite retired modern era fighter(Tito Trinidad)was a fucking master at popping dude's nuts when he was badly hurt. There is a HUGE difference between someone saysing oh this guy is dirty so he fucking sucks and someone saying oh yeah this guy is dirty and he's p4p great. Don't lump me in with the salty bitches.

First of all I replied to YOU discussing how dirty Ward is. I didn't bring it up at all buddy. So saying I'm fixated is ridiculous. I acknowledge how incredible of a fighter he is and how I lament the fact his career has been sidelined multiple times due to different circumstances. I'm not a Ward fan at all but I'm not an idiot either. He's great. He's also dirty, not "probably" dirty.

Someone can call him dirty(you)without bursting into flames. Look at the two guys who posted above this post. They seriously know boxing. They love Ward. They know he's dirty. There is no "probably" about it at all. Nothing wrong with that at all. Some of the best fighters of all time fought dirty. Almost every fighter does dirty shit occasionally. My favorite retired modern era fighter(Tito Trinidad)was a fucking master at popping dude's nuts when he was badly hurt. There is a HUGE difference between someone saysing oh this guy is dirty so he fucking sucks and someone saying oh yeah this guy is dirty and he's p4p great. Don't lump me in with the salty bitches.

You're writing a desertation because i said "probably"? Seriously? I acknowledged he was dirty, if it wasn't written with the alacrity you expected then tough shit.

Ward is a dirty fighter but he's also an artist in the ring. If he was just a dirty brawler I wouldn't watch him. To get in close and tear it up with the big bad wolf and make the most feared man in the division basically quit...fucking brilliant.
Yup me and @PUO3 have talked about this at least a few times in the past. Ward doesn't trust refs to catch all the fouls b/c he knows that guys get away with dirty shit all the time (including himself sometimes lol), so he plays his own ref.

If he thinks a guy is getting dirty and does something out of line and the ref doesn't call it, then you already know Ward is gonna police the fight himself and smash the guy in the nuts, butt him, or elbow the shit out of their skull (he did that against Bika after Bika headbutted him or elbowed him before. Ward even waited a few secs to position himself out of the ref's view as well as he could, it was beautiful, I fucking loved it).

Perfect example is Loma/Salido. Loma relied on the ref too much and Salido was too sneaky and didn't give a fuck he wasn't getting called on it and Loma wasn't doing shit either. If Salido was Ward's size and tried that against him, Ward would have punched his nuts up into his throat and that would've prbably been the end of it.

He was real dirty against Kessler and the worst part was that he was dominating before he started doing the dirty stuff. Kessler got cuts from those butts that opened repeatedly for the rest of his career.

I am a big fan of Danny, but how is his LOSS being mentioned in the same sentence as Ward COMPLETELY shutting down Kovalev.

And Sor Rungvisai? Most people on here thought he lost....

Pretty funny logics peoples have. Only performances that can really compare Is Spence (vs Kell) and Canelo (vs JCCjr). I am probably forgetting some, but meh.

I am a big fan of Danny, but how is his LOSS being mentioned in the same sentence as Ward COMPLETELY shutting down Kovalev.

And Sor Rungvisai? Most people on here thought he lost....

Pretty funny logics peoples have. Only performances that can really compare Is Spence (vs Kell) and Canelo (vs JCCjr). I am probably forgetting some, but meh.

I mentioned it b/c nobody in their career up until Jacobs had even been able to make GGG look human, let alone make it through to the end of a 12rd fight, let alone arguably win that fight. I thought Danny edged it 114-113 but it could've gone either way imo.

Danny fought one of the top p4p fighters and one of the most feared guys in the sport tooth and nail through the whole fight, overcame a kd, hurt GGG, especially to the body, boxed and moved well. I thought it was a very, very impressive performance despite it going down in the books as an L. One of the better performances of the year, even in a losing effort, but also clearly subjective on my part.

I do get what you mean, though, I think we're just trying to find half decent alternatives to Ward's performance b/c it's definitely the best of the year so far. I agree Spence's performance against Brook is up there, I would say, however, that I think Danny's performance against GGG was more impressive than Canelo's over JCCJR, obviously debatable, though. Then again I thought Jr could give Canelo some problems in that fight leading up and Canelo played Ike to Jrs Tina so what the hell do I know, lol.

Last edited:
Golovkin looked pretty mediocre when he fought Ouma.

yeah that was a brutal fight. I actually had a few bucks on Ouma b/c he was usually not an easy out for anyone and he was going off at like 7 or 8-1. Watched that fight on some legal stream out of Panama, I think it was where they fought. I was rooting hard for Ouma believe it or not since I'm a well known GGG hugger nowadays but wasn't sold on him quite yet, but that fight actually made me a big fan of GGG. They beat the shit out of each other, Ouma performed valiantl, but at the end of the day, GGG stopped him and beat him down savagely in the process. Can't ignore that. Ouma was one tough sob.

I mentioned it b/c nobody in their career up until Jacobs had even been able to make GGG look human, let alone make it through to the end of a 12rd fight, let alone arguably win that fight. I thought Danny edged it 114-113 but it could've gone either way imo.

Danny fought one of the top p4p fighters and one of the most feared guys in the sport tooth and nail through the whole fight, overcame a kd, hurt GGG, especially to the body, boxed and moved well. I thought it was a very, very impressive performance despite it going down in the books as an L. One of the better performances of the year, even in a losing effort, but also clearly subjective on my part.

I do get what you mean, though, I think we're just trying to find half decent alternatives to Ward's performance b/c it's definitely the best of the year so far. I agree Spence's performance against Brook is up there, I would say, however, that I think Danny's performance against GGG was more impressive than Canelo's over JCCJR, obviously debatable, though. Then again I thought Jr could give Canelo some problems in that fight leading up and Canelo played Ike to Jrs Tina so what the hell do I know, lol.

I totally agree with that perspective. The fact that people are trying to find a comparision, really adds to Wards performance.

I was with you, in that I also picked Chavez Jr to do more... but the fact that I have to reach to that fight, to find a similar performance, where someone COMPLETELY shuts someone down... it speaks volumes to Ward's performance.

I honestly cant think of a confrontation between two top fighters (rematch or not), that was so dominant.

The only one I can think of is Lacy vs Calzaghe... but at this point, I am also drunk after a party.

I see Kova having 1-3 more big fights, and that is it. Dude went crazy because of Ward

If Srisaket dominates Choco in the rematch, then I'd say that's a win that would be comparable to Ward's second win over Kovalev. Other than that, there isn't anybody I can think of who put on a performance at that level (I was impressed by Thurman over Garcia, LSC over Frampton, and Mikey over Broner and Dejan but I don't think Garcia/Broner/Dejan are on the same level as Kov). Spence over Brook was also hugely impressive.

Back