Josh Thomson did in 8 minutes what Conor couldn't do in 30.

Josh Thomson, a fighter that has never been known for his power, was able to not only stop Diaz, but get his corner to throw in the towel in under 3 rounds with strikes. Conor couldn't do this with 2 chances and over a half hour's worth of fighting. Yet we're led to believe Conor has "once in a lifetime" power. I don't get it. Conor has a strong left hand but nothing we haven't seen many times before. He's a great marketer but he's going to fall hard. And very soon...

Thanks for telling us all you didnt watch the fight.

Feed Diaz to this guy. He has the pedigree that Diaz can't handle. Look at all the disgusting looking goofs on both corners of any Conor fight.

ufc-183-al-iaquinta-espanol_520265_OpenGraphImage.png

Head kicks are no joke. Even guys without power can wreck your shit if they land one. Look at what just happened with DC/Jones, one of the most durable fighters we've ever seen got put down by a guy who was on a decision run.

Thomson was setting those up the whole fight. Nick told Nate not to chase him and to watch out for the head kicks. Nate didn't listen and paid for it. He's still one of the hardest LWs to finish of all time.

Thanks for telling us all you didnt watch the fight.
I watched it. I'd ask for your opinion on the fight but your tag indicates you have a biased outlook so I'm not going to waste everyone's time asking for it. I'm sure you understand.

Josh the Punk Thomson was firing on all cylinders that day in what was one of the best performances I've ever seen in the Octagon and surely the best of his career. Nobody has ever stopped Diaz in the UFC, which is why I feel Josh had the potential to be the best LW in the world. His worst enemy was himself

Josh Thompson was a beast in his prime one of the most underrated LWs imo. He beat the shit out of Diaz and made it look fairly easy, and brutal. One of the only times I can remember a corner throwing in the towel, and I saw Fabio vs Maldonado live and that was a disturbing fight.
Do you have the video of Fabio vs maldonado

I watched it. I'd ask for your opinion on the fight but your tag indicates you have a biased outlook so I'm not going to waste everyone's time asking for it. I'm sure you understand.

Why would I be biased when Conor wasn't in the fight dumb ass?

Why would I be biased when Conor wasn't in the fight dumb ass?
Because the context of this thread has implications on what is being discussed in this thread. So go ahead and reread everything in this thread with this new knowledge I have appointed on you and then maybe, just maybe, you will ge able to add to the discussion.

"Thomson, who isn't known for his power"

Comparing Thomsons flush headkick with Conors punches....This thread is beyond retarded.

Thomson is a GREAT fighter, but why are you comparing Thomsons performance against Nate with Conor's? It is so meaningless...Worst example of MMA math Ive seen in a while.

"Thomson, who isn't known for his power"

Comparing Thomsons flush headkick with Conors punches....This thread is beyond retarded.

Thomson is a GREAT fighter, but why are you comparing Thomsons performance against Nate with Conor's? It is so meaningless...Worst example of MMA math Ive seen in a while.
Because both fighters were looking for a way to KO Nate. One guy accomplished it. Josh rocked him with punches enough to allow an opening to KO him, while Conor could not. Both guys threw head kicks but only one had the power strikes to set it up.

Do you have the video of Fabio vs maldonado

No but it shouldn't be hard to find. He literally beat Fabio down so bad Fabio was using the cage to stay upright, the doctor stopped it in the second round because he wss being beaten so bad. Probably the most savage beating I've ever seen.

Nate on 2 occasions ducked into high kicks and the second hits him flush into the dome.

It is an error that could have landed him in much more trouble than just losing a fight, thankfully he suffered nothing more than a concussion (I assume).

Having said that Josh Thomson like his old oppenent Yves Edwards were 2 of the most underrated fighters to step into he octagon.
Prime Yves was a treat to watch.

Thomson wasn't trying to set up a head kick (at least I think.) The opportunity presented itself after he landed enough punches to soften Diaz's defense.

I don't see it this way at all. A headkick opportunity doesn't just present itself. You don't see an opening and go 'oh, I should throw a headkick there.' Fighting is too reactionary and fast twitch for that.

Head kicks are no joke. Even guys without power can wreck your shit if they land one. Look at what just happened with DC/Jones, one of the most durable fighters we've ever seen got put down by a guy who was on a decision run.

Thomson was setting those up the whole fight. Nick told Nate not to chase him and to watch out for the head kicks. Nate didn't listen and paid for it. He's still one of the hardest LWs to finish of all time.
Matt hughes gsp 2 was same finish as jones cormier

Sure it does. Thomson's punches allowed him to set up his KO kick. Conor was not powerful enough to do the same. This isn't that hard to follow guys, try and keep up.

Thompson was one of my favourite fighters, that might have been the worse release from the UFC ever aside from shields. and i think your example is utterly stupid. Thompson never knocked out many people, even in the thick of his prime. Your logic doesn't make much sense when you cherry pick the one fight he does vs a couple of the few where Conor didn't KO his opponent.

I don't see it this way at all. A headkick opportunity doesn't just present itself. You don't see an opening and go 'oh, I should throw a headkick there.' Fighting is too reactionary and fast twitch for that.
I disagree. Thomson was landing enough body shots and TD attempts to have Nate leaning forward with his hands down. Which presented a good head kick opportunity.

Back