Damo Marino's spindly apendages

I'm on the late shifts this week which means maximum jits.

Monday morn I do ohp's and add a few more kgs, then press-ups and air squats.
Monday night I do class with prof. Vela:
We do two passes, the first you start in uke's closed guard with good posture> take grips on belt with thumbs out> isolate a sleeve with opposite hand and pin > stand on the side of the pinned arm and stretch uke out to take away any base they may use to reguard> strip uke's leg on the same side as the pinned arm and slice outside knee through> place your head on the opposite side near uke's shoulder> underhook uke's top leg and long step your non slicing leg back coming to side control> cross face> knee on belly> mount.
The second pass is a stack> start in the same position and get the same grips> sit back into dead lift and drive both elbows between uke's thighs> take a grip of the back of uke's pants and pass your other arm in front of uke's chest to get a grip of the opposite side collar> drive forward and down pressing uke's knee as close to their head as possible> walk around in the opposite direction to your collar grip keeping pressure until you pass.

We then sub uke if they single X> drive your free knee across uke's chest as hard as possible dropping your hips down> take kimura of their far side arm and shoulder roll on your opposite shoulder through to that side> switch your hips so you come belly down> put the elbow nearest to uke in their arm pit and drive your shoulder into their chest> paint brush their arm to complete> if uke sits up push your forearm into their face to frame away and hip escape a little> chase bottom shin into the gap made by your escape and suck uke into you throwing your other leg over their shoulder to come to spider web> complete as you see fit.
Another option from the kimura finish position is to come perpendicular to uke and drag their far side arm out with your top leg> stretch the arm out as far as you can and release it into your other leg to triangle> keeping kimura grips drive uke's head away and toward your hips> swing your top leg over their head to trap then swing your bottom leg over both their trapped arm and head switching up the triangle position again to get a head and arm triangle crank> you can get a two for one with the kimura as well.

One of the big homies also showed me a jacket throw> take a sleeve grip with thumb pointing down driving down and pulling into you past your hip> reach over uke's near shoulder with your other arm and take grip of same arm from behind> take a big step to outside of uke's foot on that side to reap.

Wednesday night I do lift tin:
5*5 rows
Rack pulls up to 100
Clean and OHP of kettle
Then class with prof. Falciroli:
We warm up and also do a simple jacket throw: get collar grip and other side tricep grip pulling uke tight> take backsteps and simultaneously drag/ snap uke down> simultaneously yank sleeve then punch out collar to turn uke and drive them to the mat> keep sleeve grip and release collar> you should come to the side of uke with sleeve control> opposite leg drops to knee on belly> non sleeve grip arm sweeps trapped arm to own chest> step other leg over and close to uke's head> switch sleeve grip to uke wrist and complete bar.
Armbar: Uke is in your closed guard with grips on your jacket> take one sleeve with same side arm and grip own arm with other hand> strip grip and bring their hand to your shoulder on the other side> goose neck the arm with the opposite hand at the inner elbow> use your free hand to dive into the collar thumb up pushing uke's head away> use collar grip and pull your knees in to break their posture> put the foot on the same side as their hand on the floor and shrimp putting your hips under their elbow> you must be on the flat of your back for this to work> drape the other foot over uke's neck> release the lapel and grab uke's hand> pinch your knees and hip up curling your legs to complete.
Sweep: Uke is in your closed guard with grips on your jacket> take one sleeve with same side arm and grip own arm with other hand> strip grip and bring their hand to the outside of your shoulder on the other side> pull your knees in to break their posture> release sleeve on side of that arm's shoulder and reach around the back to the lat/ gi on the opposite side> do a flat hip escape so both of your feet point in the direction of the arm behind the back> simultaneously pendulum and come to mount.

Friday morning I go in to test a new way of throwing the whip, power off the rear with no lead leg foot work, then I do prof. Stefanutti's class, we do:
You have side control and partner sits up getting under hook> scoop the arm and drop your shoulder into their hip walking around> you can take the collar or the arm or instead of walking around you can step over with your far leg and have your near leg down> turn and switch the leg up to leg down and vice versa> you can work to bar or take collar grip and choke.

Last edited:
I've done nothing so far this week which is great, have been able to spend more time with the family, wifey and boy.
Mrs has enrolled boy in preschool karate, he can do that for a year before he does jits.
Also have another job coming up so schedules will change yet again.

Tuesday I just throw lots of whips and do a few pressups.

Wednesday I have a really good dynamic stretch, do my lifting routine, I increase rack pulls up to 110, ohp for another rep and then just blob to the side of the mat watching the no gi class.

Then I do prof. Falciroli's class:
We drill: osoto gari to arm bar, osoto gari>uke does stiff arm to defend> place foot in hip> drop to mat keep grips> rotate out and pull uke down swinging other leg over> adjust grips for arm bar, uke defends this bar> swing away in opposite direction> change to pants grips> use leg hooks to swing behind uke's legs hipping up hard coming to deep de la riva> use your non de la riva leg hook to keep momentum driving you behind uke> switch grips to far pants leg> drive knees behind uke's knees and change far pants grips and then to belt grip> drive uke away with your legs and pull their belt> get foot hooks first then change grips to double unders from behind to uke's collar> once secure change hand position to seat belt then on to simple collar choke> lean out to get leverage and finish.

Friday I do prof. Stefanutti's class:
We do baseball bat from mount and cross collar from side control.
Start from mount and reach hand to uke's nape inside collar with palm up> other hand takes grip of collar on same side> loop the elbow of the palm up hand around uke's head> go to knee on belly with knee furthest from hands> then complete dismount on near hand side and place knee into uke's arm pit> draw palm up elbow to mat next to uke's head and pull other hand hard to complete> personally I like a little slack with the palm up hand, it feels like you could adjust your position easier if you had to or pull your hand free, if you have less slack the choke comes on quicker.
Cross collar uses both palms up with a hand either side of uke's kneck> one knee is raised> 'bow' to complete and nullify threat of straight arm bar> drop knee and hips to lever into choke.

Last edited:
Monday is a pub hol so I go to open mat:
I do rack pulls 8*45, 8*65, 5*95
Deads 3*5*110
DB rows 2*8*25, 3*6*27.5
OHP's w KB 3*8*16 and a bunch of 3*20
Then roll for an hour with the brothers

Wednesday and Friday I do class with Prof Stefanutti:
We drill basic posture when in opponents closed guard, opening guard and squaring up in guard and passing using sleeve grip, pushing leg and knee slicing to long step

Last edited:
Monday I do some upper body
OHP's w KB 3*8*16 AND 5*3*20
Tricep pushdown 3*8*40 AND 3*5*60 AND 3*1*80

Then do fundamentals and general classes with Prof. Vela: opening closed guard and passing using 1) tozi 2) sleeve pull, push leg, knee slice with long step 3) sleeve pull, double unders to stack 4) knee up the butt/ tripod.

The tripod variation of knee up the butt we did was to get lapel grips and drive them to pin under uke's arm pit> back your hips out and away and come to your feet in beer crawl posture keeping pin> you should have opened uke's guard doing this, if not use the knee in the tail bone> come to one leg posted under one their legs slicing your other through their other> underhook their leg that is posted up keeping your knee slice close to their hip> reach across uke's torso with that side arm and feed your collar grip under their arm pit> back step shifting your underhook hand to knife under uke's hip> simultaneously square up to come to side control.

We also did the Tozi pass again, here are some helpful details: the hand the underhooks can get a grip in the back of uke's collar, ensure that your other hand has good control of uke's other arm otherwise the will frame, when you flatten out baseball slide your bottom leg through first.

At the moment my injured knee has been extremely stiff and at times I get small sharp pains, I hope these are healing symptoms as opposed to other.
I also have tendonitis in my wrist and elbow, like my other injuries I'll jjust have to do constant pre/rehab.

The occupational therapist at my work has suggested myofacial release and stretching for my rhomboid and I'm doing the same working on my thoracic and hip.

Tuesday
I do rack pulls 8*50, 8*70, 5*90
Deads 5*2*100
DB rows 2*8*25, 3*6*27.5
Next week I up the grams

Then I do prof. Vela's class:
Worm guard to sweep or to X guard to sweep to S mount and attack the back:
Have sleeve grips> open guard and feet on hips> release one sleeve and get bottom of uke's lapel> same side foot goes to de la riva> lapel is passed under foot on hip, under uke's de la riva'ed (sic) leg to outside hand which still had sleeve grip> swap grips again so that lapel is now in the hand that originally had it> your outside hand should have a grip on the de la riva'ed leg> come onto the hip of your de la riva leg> simultaneously pull the lapel hard, push the foot on hip hard, scissor your de la riva hard> use the scissor sweep momentum to come up and past the line of uke's knee driving the knee down with the lapel grip> come to S then to back taking seatbelt.

If uke defends by pushing your 'hip foot' between their legs retain the collar and de la riva and release the sleeve> and post your hand on the mat using your post to chase to uke's side> drive your de la riva in hard to get to x guard and use your post hand to take a grip on the back of uke's pants or lapel> pull uke onto you then drive them to the side> come up and you'll come to the same top position as the scissor version.

Spider guard basics:
If you have uke in your closed guard and they have their hands inside take sleeve grips and open your guard placing both feet on their hips> drive them away as hard as you can pulling grips and stretching them out> they will be worried about the triangle threat> secure the lasso hard to one of uke's arms and drive your other foot hard into the crook of their elbow> pull and stretch uke through each position change> unbalance uke to the side of the lasso> if they resist attack their leg on the opposite side.......................I might be able to transition to single x here.

Friday I do prof Vela's class and we do Worm guard to sweep or to X guard to sweep to S mount and attack the back again.
Color belt shows me to hip up hard when using spider guard isolate arm and snap triangle on, he suggests I drill the movement vigorously to make it second nature.

Last edited:
I do my lifting routine on Tuesday
I do rack pulls 8*60, 8*80, 5*100
Deads 5*1*110
Rows with KB 2*8*24, 3*6*28
I tested a 24 and got it to the top with a bit of knee flexion
Pushups while I waited for Gi class with prof Stefanutti:
We do worm guard sweep and arm bar, prof explains that you need to stretch uke away from you with the foot on the hip: to arm bar from worm guard position keep collar grip with your second hand and take a grip of the sleeve that's nearest tou you> ensure that you break uke's posture as much as you can with a combination of your grips and stretching uke away with your foot on the hip> you should slide your 'hip' foot through and release your de la riva> inverting to with an aim to place your head between uke's feet> pull uke's sleeve hard and use the back of your connected leg to help drive uke into a sweep> complete the sweep/ bar by swinging your leg that was a de la riva hook away and over uke's head.........
As always the separate parts need to be combined in a way to create momentum

I did a few guard passing drills on the mma bag just focusing on moving and switching my hips

I also did a drill with one of the senior colored belts: be in sit up guard on one of uke's legs> slide your outside arm palm down under your outside leg hooking uke's ankle> invert and use your other hand to grasp behind uke's other knee with the same grip as your first hand> insert outside leg behind the knee and remove your other leg swinging all the way through spinning on your back coming to sit up guard on uke's other leg.....reverse coming to the other leg as often as you wish.....

Thursday
I do some animal movement and drill worm and knee kick sweeps with team before class
Then do go class with prof. Stefanutti:
We do back take from closed guard to arm bar, strip one of uke's grips with figure four and drive off to one side simultaneously breaking their posture with your knees> open your guard and hip escape out to the opposite side and reach around uke's torso with your top arm for the far collar> keep your guard open and suck uke into you and onto your back with your bottom leg> insert your hooks and make a simple choke or........once you have made your hip escape point your top foot down> go belly down and switch your collar grip to hook uke's top arm> take a grip of uke's pants with your free hand and shift the shin of your top leg to behind uke's head> turn to your side toppling uke by pulling the legs over and driving the shin down> complete straight bar..........

prof. Stefanutti also showed me the inverted bow and arrow for love not money:
Uke is in turtle> loop your far arm over and around the back of their head until you can make a grip on the collar closest to you, ensure the hand is deep enough so there is little to no slack in the collar> turn so you can place your head against ukes hip> take a pants grips on their close leg and pull hard driving away with your head untill uke sits on their now far side (ensure you keep your neck rigid and safe)> suck uke's leg into half guard maintaining your grip and pressure> roll to the side nearest uke's trapped leg> if need be you can bridge to finish.

Saturday morning I do prof. Vela's class:
We do worm to de lariva sweep and straight arm bar finish again but prof. shows us a slightly better grip, when you have de la riva and lapel reach between your leg and uke's for your final grip on lapel.

I'd like to start using a guard that's ideal for street defense and stop defaulting to deep half when escaping.

Last edited:
My schedule is a little messed up this week so I'll do a couple of days with a bit crammed in.

Tuesday morn I get up and go do some weights, I do deads and db rows:
2*8@50, 5*5@80 and 3*[email protected].
Then I do prof. Stefanutti's no gi class, he shows an anaconda from side control:
Have a good cross face and secure the near side arm> loop the arm closer to uke's head under uke's arm and around their neck, position your hand between your thighs for the sake of keeping the hook secure> flatten their knees out with your free hand and switch base so your hip is in their armpit> drag their head and arm in as much as possible closing out all gaps> walk around past their head to the other side> put the hand of your choking arm in the crook of your other elbow> sprawl hard and squeeze> you can also post on the foot near ukes head to get wicked crank leverage.

Tuesday night I do kb presses, I ramp up from 16 to 24 starting with sets of 10 and finishing with 2's.
Then I do prof. Stefanutti's gi class, he shows several techniques from full guard, the ones that stuck with me are: Get sleeve grips and hip escape coming to lasso on one arm> pull their sleeve taught and increase lateral tension so they cannot defend by looping/ sweeping their arm out> get a strong hook in their lat with your foot> simultaneously take a grip on the outside of thier pants knee seam with your free hand> drive uke away and pull them into you with your foot hook when they respond with pressure> tip uke past the same side shoulder as the lasso, they should now be on their back> stay connected to them as much as possible and baseball slide the leg nearest to them through so they cannot reguard> square up and come to side control.

There are slight variations built off the aforementioned that you can be implemented on the fly, I dont think details are needed as long as the previous are followed.

If uke defends by posting a knee up on the lasso side> pull the sleeve hard and shift your foot hook to behind their knee> post on your free hand and hip escape out to uke's side> insert your free foot behind ukes achillis on the same leg as your other foot hook> come up rocking forward and take a collar grip> rock back and kick your second foot hook up hard to fling uke to their back> you should come to a position where uke's lassoed arm is between your legs and you can complete an arm bar.

After free rolling I did some drilling of previous weeks lessons with one of the brothers.

Wednesday morning I did some curriculum drilling with two of the brothers:
we do mount defence trapping arms and coming to the top, 1 arm control coming to the top defending the choke, recovering guard and half guard, escaping back control by spinning inside, recovering half guard, pulling the head, escaping knee on belly by pushing the knee and pushing the leg to come to half, escaping the basic arm bar and triangle from closed guard.

Friday morning I do some band work and then prof Stefanutti's gi class, we do more lasso guard technique: if uke posts the leg on the same side as the lasso and you cant get your lasso foot to the outside of the knee then post your feet against their hips and drive them away to create space> hip escape to create an angle> drive your lasso foot behind the knee of their far leg> simultaneously stomp your free foot and kick your hook up hard...

As per previous classes there were other variations, I'm just starting to make angles and the above is the one that stuck.

Also did comp rounds in the arvo, mount and back escapes and attacks, big boy from another club swung his leg across my face when I was postured and made me look at the ceiling behind me, neck cracked and I yelped, what a wake up, another thing to work on.

Last edited:
Monday night I warm up then do dead's, rows and overhead presses prior to class
1*8@50, 1*5@80, 3*5@100
1*8@20, 3*7@24
5*5@20
I finish with a bunch of press ups and then do prof. Vela's gi class:
We do fundamental spider guard sweep> have full guard and sleeve grips> hip escape on one side placing foot on hip and knee in crook of uke's elbow> repeat on other side stretching uke out> escape again and place foot in crook of uke's elbow> place one leg parallel to the mat and simultaneously sit up> swing uke off to this side at a 45 degree angle using your spider hook for power.

If uke stands and attempts to walk around drive the spider hook up on the opposite side to where they're moving to and drag the other spider hook down hard> place both foot into the crook of the elbow of uke's 'up' arm> release other sleeve grip and hook the same side leg as the first arm> hip up hard and drive uke away coming to mount.

Then we do lasso guard sweep and omoplata> have full guard and sleeve grips> hip escape on one side swinging foot around uke's arm placing foot in behind their arm pit> place other shin across uke's torso so both of your ,feet are pointing in the same direction> keep your lasso side sleeve grip and take a grip at the knee on ukes pants with your other hand> tip onto this side and drive them away> when they resist square up and drag them onto your shins> with uke's weigh on your shins drive with your legs and pull with your grips sweeping in the same direction to where uke is pressing.

If uke sits on the haunches and keeps strong base hip escape further and invert into the space> spin keeping control of uke's arm sitting up into omoplata position> flatten uke out and reach across securing their far arm with a gable grip> complete sub.

------------------Here are some things I need to focus on-------------------------------------------------------

Judo throws for tall people: Osoto gari, Ouchi gari, Kouchi gari, Uchimata, Darai goshi, Deashi barai
High % subs: Ezekiel, bow and arrow, cross collar loop

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Valois-Fortier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Pacek

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday I go in for prof Stefanutti's class:

We do a spider sweep that's almost identical to what we've done recently with two feet in the spider hook, however prof. uses a pants grip as opposed to a hook of the leg> he drives his hips up and down explaining that the movement is like a wave simultaneously driving uke's leg up with the pants grip when he feels their weight tip.

We also do a lasso sweep with a similar set up to Monday nights' sweep, when uke stands we create space with the free foot> scoot under uke using your lasso to break their posture> make an L with your free leg and slip your knee behind uke's knee, take a grip of them pants ensuring your foot stays on the opposite hip> keep breaking uke down and then drive away with your foot and yank the lasso hard> come up parallel to uke retaining grips and foot on uke's hip> use the grip and the foot on the hip to drive yourself into a side control position...

If uke drops their weight on your non lasso leg load their weight onto your shin and dominate the pants grip> when you feel the weight shift kick up hard in the other direction with your non lasso leg...

Then we do rounds, a lot of peeps are competing on the weekend so some stay and some wisely depart.
Friday morn I do prof. Vela's class, we repeat Monday night lasso lessons then roll, other aspects of life have been rather fucked of late so it's great to get a good dose of jits to wrap up the week.

Last edited:
Monday morn I do some drilling.
Wrestler homie we exchange dominant positions and practice mma grappling take down defense, hopefully we can do this a little more regularly.
Then I drill with a couple of the jits homies doing syllabus stuff: double leg, single leg, osotogari, seoi nage.
I tried a couple of osoto gari with the high grip and it felt strong however I'll have to focus on sleeve and collar and getting uke to open up.
I did around an hour of drilling all up.
Also got drop seoi'ed (sic) by an experienced judoka and felt like a mop getting slapped on the floor.
I need to get deeper into uke when I throw, I'm going to incorporate some squats as my knee feels like mud.

Tuesday morn I do a brief warm up with a band and do so air squats and crunches then do no Gi class with Mr Phillips, he shows us a butterfly sweep: trapping the tricep with your head on that side> use a collar tie on the other> shifting out so uke dives in> extend your leg on the collar tie side then sweep to the side of your head.
Rounds were good, I focused on passing combining tozi and single leg pressure, choking with Ezekiel and simple choke.

Wednesday morning I do some fundamentals drilling with the homie, we do opening opponents guard with elbows, standing and pushing knees, knee into tailbone holding biceps, passing guard using under and over with cross lapel, under and over long step, crucifix, knee through half, toreador moving to north south and de la riva stepping over the leg.

Wednesday night I do some body weight stuff and battle rope then do prof. Falciroli's class, we do a basic cross collar, cross collar with arm, failed cross collar to back take and sweep, failed sweep to sweep the other way.
uke is in your full guard> one hand opens collar other reaches deep for inside collar grip with palm up> flat hip escape to other side and other hand pinches gi at uke's shoulder then takes grip> square your guard up then sit up into uke> lay back pinching your elbows to finish...
If uke fights your second hand take a grip of that side sleeve and drag it across> do a proper shrimping escape> drive the shoulder on that side into uke stiff arming the sleeve grip away...
If this fails release the collar grip and kick what is now your top leg forward across uke's torso then swing back in the other direction at a 45 degree angle rolling them back so you come to S mount with the arm...
If this fails kick forward again and use the momentum to come all the way up> your should now have a leg under uke's torso with uke in a partial turtle> put the knee of this leg on the mat and hook uke's far knee with your foot> turn perpendicular to uke putting both hands on the mat> pull your hook foot and push the mat away so you come to S mount again...

Good rolls, tried to work the simple choke and threaten the loop when my guard is getting passed, I swung under uke to escape takin the collar with me, I only hand one grip so need to attach the other.

Thursday morn I do nogi with Mr Shark, he shows us a sweep from half: have your legs locked with your bottom hand framing against the head wrap, your other arm can have an underhook> when uke attempts to pass dive under with your framing hand and pull uke's free foot into their backside> switch hands and block the knee of that leg with your free hand> use your top knee to shunt uke forward window wiping and switching feet across their trapped leg> pull and push all rolling uke onto the side of the trapped leg> window wipe your legs out close all space with your knees coming to side control> you can also sweep uke the other way and come to the leg drag position.

Rolls were ok, I practiced attacking against easier rolls and got a cupply subs that arent really my go to's, I also got choked by someone I wasnt expecting to...congrats...then return the favor.

Last edited:
This last week I've had a hacking cough and had to take a couple of days off, I was a bit pissed because I've also entered my first tourney.

I've tried to roll with 100 percent mental commitment which has given a couple of my usual partners an unusual surprise. Now they know I had a comp on they're very understanding.
I'm not going to record techniques of the week as I'm better off recording notes from the comp.
Grappling Industries was the comp and I entered Master 1 in the sub 77 category.

I had 4 matches and came 3rd, match one I beat on points, he was far older than the rest of us so I just advanced position not putting any pressure on him, our other opponents weren't so kind, they all subbed him with various forms of key lock.

Match two I pulled guard and swept with single leg X, opponent came up and I recovered full then to crack head control then got to Z then to trap them in a triangle and finished with a combo of wrist/ straight arm bar. Match three and Match four I lost on points, by the time four came around my grips were burnt out, the third match was really fun, I worked out of a bad position, passed guard and just missed a straight arm bar in the last 15 seconds. In terms of technique I feel I can improve my Hip mobility, guard retention, moving to the back from Z- freeing the bottom leg.

Monday night I do a double burn out, amrap curls with kbs then static hold on pull-up bar until grip fails, repeat until I don't want anymore, then do 20 press-ups, 19, 18.........etc = 200 and summit.

Tuesday morn I do nogi with Mr Shark, he shows us a side control escape:
Frame uke's neck and bridge to face away coming onto bottom shoulder and almost to turtle> control their outside arm and straighten your top leg while starting to square up> insert your other leg as a butterfly and get a deep underhook with your free arm> pull uke hard onto your butterfly and use momentum to come to mount.

Tuesday night I do both Nogi and Gi class with prof Stefanutti, we do double leg counter and spider guard counter.
When uke connects for the double drive your outside arm between their legs and jam hard> if they insist on pushing the take down this will be in your favor> drive your under hook deeper and follow them to the floor> sit out and come to hip on hip and hunt for the seat-belt.
When uke has you in their spider counter by quickly stepping to the side and then squaring up> twist your elbows in quickly and drive your hips forward sucking your sleeves out of their grip using a dead-lift type motion> grasp their heels and tip them backward posting one leg with the knee against their tailbone and the other knee across one of their biceps> gain a pants grip with the same side hand as your posted leg> use your free hand to dive deep into uke's far side collar for the cutter choke.
You can also wrecking ball uke's spider by stepping quickly to the side of their 'down' spider hook> stomp on the leg at the knee and pull your sleeve out> step your other foot forward and stiff arm your other sleeve to your rear> roll your elbow in and punch your sleeve forward and out> keep your stomping foot for control and come to knee on belly with your other leg.

Thursday night I do prof Stefanutti's classes: We do outside single to knee cut to side to simple arm-bar. It was good vibes, I'm happy and sore, just like your mum.

Saturday morning I do gi class with prof. Vela, we do defend spider again with the leg drag to back take position added: When uke has you in their spider counter by quickly stepping to the side and then squaring up> twist your elbows in quickly and drive your hips forward sucking your sleeves out of their grip using a dead-lift type motion> grasp their heels and tip them backward posting one leg with the knee against their tailbone and the other planted to the outside of uke at 45> gain a leg grip and drive the knee of your posted leg between uke's legs and to the mat> simultaneously pull the gripped leg hard to trap uke in the leg drag position> secure a collar grip at the nape of uke's neck with your free hand> I missed the finishing details but from here I look to dive for an arm in triangle isolating the top arm... see other ideas below

Last edited:
Monday morning I have a jam with my stromie, we do prof Stefanutti's inverted bow and arrow and Kurt Osiander's two for one against turtle, we also drill a simple lasso and worm sweep then we have one long roll.

Have had reoccurring fever and wet cough, three different virus' incubating in the household at the same time, will take a few days off the mat when I start feeling better and just lift.
The main man prof Stefanutti is in Brazil for four weeks so his classes are being covered by other teachers.

Tuesday night I do some deads, 1*8 of 40, 5*5 of 70 then coach Le Gourrierec takes Gi class, we drill one man turtle and attempt to reguard, the other man is hip to hip and follow and floats on the turtle attempting to stay in a dominant position.
Then we drill post outside hand as uke granby's away and insert other side knee into leg drag position> the leg drag is more of a deep squat that prevent uke from rolling all the way through> you can reach your posted hand under uke's head and your other between their legs and drive hard until you can S grip and pass to their back completely.
Then rolled for an hour, I worked on an arm bar escape that's reliant on timing, when uke falls back I pull their controlling hand with my free hand and turn the thumb of my trapped hand down, I dog leg my arm across uke's torso and clasp my hands, I forward hip escape going hips down until I come to uke's side.

I had intentions of doing the lunch class on Wednesday but have been spitting up mud colored phlegm all night and morning, Ive taken the week off, more time off training, sub optimal life................sub fucken optimal

------------------------------Insane college wrestling---------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------Old School Guard-------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Tuesday arvo I go down to the gym and do a little prehab work, then nogi and gi with coach Le Gourrierec:
No gi tech is be in butterfly> cross body arm drag one arm and step one hook out and back> simultaneously snap down with free arm and shift arm drag hand to chin strap> drive that side shoulder hard down onto uke and step to opposite side> re insert previously removed hook with shin across uke's pelvis> suck them into you hard and drape your free leg across their shoulder> gain your high elbow position and adjust your grips to complete guillotina.
Then did rounds.
I sat out the tech for Gi which was various forms of guard pulling, too many tanks on the mat and my knee was nervous, then did rounds.

Wednesday I do Gi class with coach Le Gourrierec:
We drilled guard pulling again, I got in this time as their was a bit of space, I get my grips and insert one foot then swing my other away and back in to come to de la riva.
Then we focus on top man attempting to strip the collar grip and complete the pass, coach advises to two on one and dead-lift, use bottom periphery vision to help avoid posture being broken and getting sucked into guard, keep thighs parallel to the mat or deeper to keep posture strong, I strip grip and try and get to leg drag.
For rounds we start from standing and try and pull guard first.

These last couple of days I don't complete all rounds, it's quite nice to go hard then rest for a bit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday morn I get in for Gi class with coach Le Gourrierec.
As part of warm up we do one man turtle one man smash and pass, down man must pull guard or return to turtle before being passed, up man must pass and float on turtles back.
We also go through guard pulls again, similar format to previous classes this week.
We do rounds starting from standing, first to pull guard successfully has a victory of sorts.
I can get to de la riva reasonably well now and I've been watching some Travis Newaza throws for bjj so I try some Judo grips and a couple of throws.
One of the big blues who has a judo background suggests I implement tomoe nage as part of my guard pull: get a collar grip and stiff arm hard standing tall and keeping uke at bay> when I insert my foot to pull guard instead of stiff legging keep the knee 'soft'> scoot under uke's hips and extend when you're deep> pull grips hard and drive foot up tossing uke to the side where they don't post.

Friday night go to comp rounds............we do back escapes and rounds....
My cauliflower ear is cracking and popping, big blue from yesterday is giving me his earguard

Last edited:
I fucked up and didnt save my post so this weeks notes are....spindly
All of this weeks classes are with coach Le Gourrierec

Tuesday
Deads 2*8@50, 3*5@70; Curls with KB 3*12@12; Rows 3*[email protected]
Nogi and gi we do trad. warm up then flow from hitch hiker escape from arm bar with partner.
Our techniques are arm bar escapes then we have a discussion where we get tips from upper belts around how to complete or move to other options.
We do situational drills off the wall and then rounds.

Wednesday
Gi we warm up grip fighting standing, then we flow from hitch hiker escape from arm bar with partner.
Our techniques are similar arm bar escapes to yesterday.
We do situational drills off the wall and then rounds.

Thursday
Nogi and gi classes are essentially the same format as the last two days however we do triangle escapes in place of arm bar.

Had some tough rolls and got gifted some movement from the upper belts this week.

https://bjjfanatics.com/blogs/news/faria-s-jiu-jitsu-perfect-for-older-grapplers

Here's the weeks work

Tuesday

Morning Nogi with coach Le Gourrierec:
Drill is one man mount with locked ankles and legs pinched against ukes ribs > use two on one wrist with tense limbs, drive with entire upper body to separate ukes arm from body> dive for the key lock of ukes bottom arm> when uke responds by turning away switch to S mount> drop hips on ukes ribs> suck top leg into ukes torso> drive rear leg into ukes shoulder> secure top arm with hook and posture to pull arm against your torso> lean toward ukes feet and forward and hook their top leg with your free arm> drape your back leg over uke's head and drive their face away with your calf> switch grips to two on one again, pinch knees and sit back to complete straight bar.

Evening Gi with coach Le Gourrierec:
We do traditional warm up and include collar drag/ guard pull> cross collar grip is the drag/ close collar grip is better to defend and use to stand.
Tech is transitioning to kimura from side control: be in side with cross face> dive for north south head control> uke responds by framing with top arm and bridging> drive your chest into their top shoulder and get deep hook of top arm with outside arm> stay on your toes and continue to drive down and forward placing the back of your hook wrist against the back of their wrist> push their arm toward their belly and take a grip of their belt> step over their head and trap the head between your thighs> to keep uke's head turned away you can grind with your shin> having them turned away with a trapped arm will negate escape> take key lock controls of the trapped arm and drive their hand toward their head putting the elbow of your initial arm into the floating rib> keep chest pressure and drive the hand down hard and pop up> complete by paint brushing behind their back.

Then rounds.....I'm worn out, should've eaten more this afternoon.

Thursday
Morning nogi we do side control to knee on belly to mount to other side to fast arm bar then rounds.
Evening Gi with coach Le Gourrierec: We do knee on belly again and then roll.

Friday

Gi with coach Le Gourrierec we do Monday's side control to north south to kimura: we add the straight arm bar on by putting the near side shin on uke's lat while keeping the hips down> the torso side leg goes over uke first and the head side second> suck your hamstrings into uke as hard as you can and keep the elbow of the arm in the middle of your chest for control> gaze down the length of uke's arms to keep control focused and separate their grips as you feel.

3 rounds with easier rolls, my thumb was popped a couple of sessions ago and now I have sharp pain, I thought it was just tissue but their may be a little fracture, tape it up and carry on.

Last edited:
Monday

Skip for 10
10 pressups, 10 sit ups (variations of) >9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 *2
Curls 3*8@12, 3*8@14, 3*8@15
Rows 3*8@24, 3*[email protected], some singles of 45

Gi class with prof. Vela:
Start in bjj stand up posture with collar and sleeve> step out to 45 and place inside foot into uke's hip> fall back into the position you stepped from with uke at a 90 degree angle> drive hips up and curl your legs across uke's shoulders to break their posture and complete arm bar> if uke pulls the arm out maintain collar grips and place outside foot on their other hip to help you square up> circle the outside leg around uke's head and triangle both legs> use the collar grip to help break posture> take grasp of 'bottom' leg at shin and release 'top' leg placing foot on floor> angle out and square up again re-triangling legs> pull head to complete> if triangle is too loose dog leg uke's trapped arm to the outside using sleeve grip> hip escape your rear and that direction and pinch your knees hard> simultaneously pull collar hard to help break posture> swing legs around so you are perpendicular to uke> use your feet to help drive them and yourself> ensure you maintain sleeve grip throughout> triangle legs and use 'near' arm to drive uke's close leg so they flatten out> sit up and lean across uke's shoulders at a 45 degree angle> underhook their far armpit and get a gable> close to complete.

Rounds..........

Thursday

Deads 2*8@70, 3*5@90
Rows 2*[email protected], 3*8@30

Gi class with coach Le Gourrierec:
Collar and sleeve grips> swing collar inside> drop with knee to floor on that side> collar grip switches to reach for single> come to 45 to uke and go forehead to floating rib and keep your neck bulled> drive with your back straight for the takedown.

We then did 5 for 5 singles of whatever variation we wanted with our partners.
Rounds...

To defend get a kimura of uke's outside arm> sit through and kick your other side leg up so uke goes past you> you should come to a position where their head is resting against you and you have kimura control driving their hand into their belly as near as possible to their belt> scissor your legs so you go belly down> drive your shoulders down and stay on your toes pushing uke's hand on the mat> walk around to the side opposite the control> draw your shoulder back to complete.
Rounds with one partner starting in the kimura position.

Friday

Gi class with coach Le Gourrierec:
We do arm drag and single> mirror uke's forward hand> if they keep their arm in fake snap down to get them to fend> same side hand gets a wrist grip with thumb up> stay square and upright and yank uke toward you> use your other hand to hook uke under the top of their arm> paint brush the arm past uke's own hip and come to their back with your chest on their belt (the arm should be trapped)> complete steps for arm drag but drop outside knee past uke's leg coming to a 45> scoop the single with your outside arm high on uke's thigh> use bull neck and forehead on uke's ribcage to drive hard and complete.
Rounds from standing with the objective to get the single.

Last edited:
Monday

I do press ups to warm up then do prof. Vela's gi classes.
We do single leg to single defense using kimura @ north/south then crucifix to inverted triangle.
If uke sits up to escape we do frame and back take to armbar or simple choke.

Follow directions of last weeks lessons to do the single leg>keep your grips and come to head quarters> take a same side collar grip and get a grip of the pants seam with your other hand> pressure uke as hard as you can then kick the leg that is in their guard back and out> simultaneously push the pants away and pull the collar crossing your arms> drive your previously trapped leg to knee on belly and base out with your other leg> if uke defends by hip escaping and framing overhook their top arm with your far hand at the arm pit going deep taking control of the arm> grip the rear of uke's belt with your other hand and step over them with your posted foot> switch your grips to a figure four of uke's arm> swing your backside over their head maintaining control of uke's arm> one of your legs should be draped across uke's head, suck the hamstring in hard, you'll be in straight arm bar position> switch your grips to kimura and peel uke's grips toward their head> pinch your knees hard and complete the straight arm bar.

Follow last weeks lessons get to the kimura @ north/south> use your top leg to hook uke's far arm> draw the arm back so it's at tension then catch it with your bottom leg> triangle your legs to trap the arm> drive uke's head away with top elbow> get your hips as far under uke's head and neck as you can> swing your top leg over uke's head and drive heel into the arm pit> keep the leg flat across their chest and re-triangle your legs> suck your legs in hard and drive your hips forward to close the space.

If you are in north/south and uke defends by sitting onto their elbow drive your top elbow as a frame into their face>slide your bottom knee back in and use your top leg to swing over and hook> you should now be able to pull uke onto their back> you can hip escape and come to a straight arm bar or you can swing uke's trapped arm over their head> you should be able open a collar and do a cross collar from back control.

Rounds...
Not feeling in the mental, trippers....trippers all around me.

Wednesday

Deads and OHPs
2*8@50, 1*8@70, pause reps of 5*3@90, singles of 100
Boxing coach wants to challenge me to clean and press of all the KBs
I manage 24s for reps, next week he says I should be doing 26s
He does 44s for reps

Gi class with prof. Vela

We do fundamental lasso sweeps: Be in full guard> get sleeve grips and hip escape coming to lasso on one arm> pull their sleeve taught and increase lateral tension so they cannot defend by looping/ sweeping their arm out> get a strong hook in their lat with your foot> place your other shin across their pelvis so both of your feet are pointing in the same direction> drive uke away and pull them into you with your foot hook when they respond with pressure> simultaneously take a grip on the outside of their pants knee seam with your free hand> tip uke past the same side shoulder as the lasso, they should now be on their back> stay connected to them as much as possible and baseball slide the leg nearest to them through so they cannot reguard> square up and come to side control.

If you cant get a pants grip use an underhook on the same leg.
If uke bases out with the hand nearest your lasso grip release your grip and pull their based out arm in> you should be able to load their weight onto your shins, push forward and pull back, shoulder rolling them past you> come to side control keeping grips.

Be in full guard> get sleeve grips and hip escape coming to lasso on one arm> pull their sleeve taught and increase lateral tension so they cannot defend by looping/ sweeping their arm out> get a strong hook in their lat with your foot> place your other leg in front of uke on the mat> driving your weight down hard on your lasso do a technical stand> take a grip of uke's knee opposite your lasso and flip them onto their back> come to knee on belly.

Rounds.

Friday

Do some drills on bag and with bands.

Gi class with prof. Stefanutti, we do lasso sweep from yesterday + If uke defends by posting a knee up on the lasso side> pull the sleeve hard and shift your foot hook to behind their knee> post on your free hand and hip escape out to uke's side> insert your free foot behind ukes achillis on the same leg as your other foot hook> come up rocking forward and take a collar grip> rock back and kick your second foot hook up hard to fling uke to their back> you should come to a position where uke's lassoed arm is between your legs and you can complete an arm bar.

Rounds.

Last edited:
Monday

Couple of hundred crunches, air squats and band pulls.
Deads: 1*8@50, 2*8@70, 3*5@90, singles of 100 and 110.
DB rows: 3*8@30.
OHP w KB: bunches of 5 reps with 20 then 24.
Couple of hundred crunches.

Gi class with prof Vela.
The first session is a do over of all the Lasso fundamentals we've been working on, we then do an omoplata to defend the single and a hop over when uke defends the omoplata.

Be in full guard> get sleeve grips and hip escape coming to lasso on one arm> pull their sleeve taught and increase lateral tension so they cannot defend by looping/ sweeping their arm out> get a strong hook in their lat with your foot> place your other leg in front of uke on the mat> driving your weight down hard on your lasso do a technical stand> if uke attempts to single your lead leg switch your lasso grip to a far collar grip> shoulder roll to the outside of their rear leg> pinch your knees hard so you don't lose their arm> you should be able to pull uke down using the momentum from their take down attempt> come up adjacent to them in omoplata> if uke defends by rolling through sit out and re-trap their arm under your near leg> take a belt grip with your far arm and back step/roll across their chest> you will have the omoplata again.

We also did omoplata if uke defends the first two simple sweeps> be in full guard> get sleeve grips and hip escape coming to lasso on one arm> pull their sleeve taught and increase lateral tension so they cannot defend by looping/ sweeping their arm out> get a strong hook in their lat with your foot> place your other leg in front of uke on the mat> sit up hard and switch your grips> pinch your knee down onto uke's shoulder, this will help break their posture> use the hand that originally had the lasso grip to take a grip of uke's sleeve outside your knee> kick your feet through keeping sleeve grips and come adjacent to uke> keep your knees pinched and reach across their shoulders> under hook the far shoulder and armpit getting gable> complete omoplata.

Rounds...

Wednesday

Hammer curls.
I found some origin gi grip toys at the gym so had a jam doing some pull-downs with various grips.
Sit up to triangle and knee on belly drill on bag.

Gi class with prof. Stefanutti.
We do a couple of the same basic lasso sweeps from previous lessons and two inverted subs.

Omoplata standing opponent> have same lasso grips as if your uke is in your guard> use your lasso to break uke's posture as much as possible> invert pointing your head to the outside of the same side leg as the lasso> release your non lasso grip and grasp uke's pants leg> drive your hips up as high as your able> simultaneously triangle your legs/ kick down/ punch your pants grip up> you're now in omoplata position.

We also do triangle vs lasso omoplata posture defense> if uke maintains posture and has strong base when you invert keep your grip on uke's sleeve and swing your far leg around uke's far shoulder and set a triangle.

Friday

No gi comp rounds with prof Stefanutti:
Warm up switching partners on the minute-pummeling, one for one outside single, one for one snap down to guillotine> partner attempts to stand out of it> scoop the outside leg going to palm to palm grip> back shoulder roll partner> finish on top with d'arce.

One partner turtle, the other has their side> first to points or sub then restart, two minutes per partner then switch partners.

Rounds starting standing> 1st minute you cannot pull guard, the rest of the round if you end up on the flat of your back you lose.

Sunday

Victoria Masters open mat, getting crushed by over thirties who all pressure pass, knee on kidney etc, one hour of rounds.

Last edited:
Tuesday

No gi class with coach Le Gourrierec: we do traditional warm up then passing and re-guarding exercise.
The passer has both ankles, the guard player plays open 'spider', passers posture is compromised so they square up and loop hands in to under ankles, pressure the legs so they stiffen out, step to knee on belly with your knee floating and monitoring or x pass to pressure guard player, guard player releases the outside hook and hip escapes to square up back into guard.

Rounds with bottom player using open guard, first to pass or sweep wins.

Gi class with prof. Stefanutti, we do pendulum, flower, dummy sweep> s mount> arm bar, dummy sweep> uke defends by framing> shin on back of head arm bar.

Rounds.

Thursday

Gi class with prof. Stefanutti,
If uke stands in your guard and you have one sleeve and one collar> get a (arm) hook of uke's leg to the side of your sleeve grip and invert 180 > feed collar grip to your hooking hand, dog leg uke's trapped arm and hip up hard> triangle your legs and drive uke down using your collar and omoplata control> come to hard side control and deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeestroy

Rounds.

Saturday

Gi class with prof. Vela
We do sleeve and collar scissor sweep to straight arm bar then rounds.
Afterward prof. shows some of the upper belts ways to battle the spider guard circling a hand out, re-gripping and smash passing, I watch and do some OHP's and sets of push ups.

Last edited:
Tuesday
Collar chokes with prof. Stefanutti: cross collar, baseball bat, tail and two variations of Ezekiel using the tail.
Rounds.
Drilling on bag and inverting against wall to warm down.

Thursday

No Gi with Mr L: Wrestling knee cut.
Rounds.

Deads and rows:
50*8*1, 70*8*1, 90*5*3
30*8*3

Gi with Mr L: Superman pass, re guard vs pass, king of the hill.
Rounds.
Superman pass.
Rounds.

Last edited:
Back