Ravens Flock: "RETURN OF THE OFFENSE" 2019 edition

HUNTERMANIA

Always Striving.
@Silver
Reaction score
Alright, some complainers have suggested that I make my own thread for Ravens news, so I will oblige them.

giphy.gif

Since our Superbowl win in 2012, Ravens Fam, we have been let down by our defense. Yes, Joe Flacco hasn't always played the best, but I've watched every game closely and we are in position to win almost every single game and more often than not, the offense does enough to get the job done. However, it is our DEFENSE that has let us down.

It is the DEFENSE that has given up game losing drives to the Patriots in the 2014 playoffs and again last year against the evil, hated Steelers to knock us out of the playoffs when we should have won both games. In both cases, our top cornerback, Jimmy Smith, was out due to injury which cost us these games and many others over the past few regular seasons.

Flacco might not be the best in the league, but he's good enough to get playoff wins if the defense doesn't give up games.

In order to correct this.... Ozzie Newsome has taken us back to our roots, drafting and trading to make our defense elite again to bring us back to the days of glory:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Baltimore-Ravens-Anquan-Boldin-with-trophy.jpg

We drafted (notables only):

1. Marlon Humphrey (CB) - top CB prospect
2. Tyus Bowser (OLB) - top LB that dropped spots due to injury, maybe most dynamic player in the draft
3. Chris Wormley (DT) - a hardnosed, mature player from Michigan that will line up with Brandon Williams and Michael Pierce for years to come.
4. Tim Williams (OLB) -probably THE STEAL of the draft for any team considering his elite pass-rushing skills. He dropped due to character issues, but there will be no such problems under the great leadership of one T-Sizzle.
7. Chuck Clark (S) - I left him out originally bc I hadn't heard news from him, but Eric DeCosta's recent interview highlighted him not only as a special teams player and a character guy (which is what they drafted him for as he was captain at VT), but also as a starting safety down the road.

And we acquired:

Tony Jefferson - one of the elite safeties in the game
Brandon Carr - an extremely durable starting CB

ALL OF THOSE ARE JUST ON DEFENSE!!!

MAKE THE DEFENSE GREAT AGAIN!!!

We've added a new receiver in Jeremy Maclin and a new pass-catching back in Danny Woodhead. Plus, other undrafted rookies from last year's class and this year's class are looking to make a name for themselves in Keenan Reynolds and Quincy Adeboyejo.

Our o-line has been decimated by injury, but it is my contention that as long as Flacco and Jimmy Smith stay healthy, nothing can stop the Ravens this year. We are on our way to our 3rd Superbowl!!!

RAVENS FLOCK!! LET'S GO!!

Last edited:
I'm most concerned about injuries to the defense, and unfortunately we already lost a GREAT player in Tavon Young (CB). He's a 2nd year player who saw major playing time last year. He's a little undersized to be on the outside but he would have been perfect as a slot-corner, but he tore his ACL early on. His replacement, Maurice Canady, was playing amazing in camp until his injury, but he should be back.

However, we have such depth now that Humphrey might start at the slot OR!!! We have a diamond in the rough with Jaylen Hill, an undrafted rookie out of Jacksonville State making splashes, and maybe he can fill Tavon Young's spot until Tavon can come back next year. We will see. As long as we don't lose massive players on defense like we have on the offensive line, we'll be just fine.

The defense knows it needs to be elite every single game and I expect them to be #1 overall this year and perhaps one of the great defenses of all times.

suggs-deep-thoughts.jpg

T-Sizzle NEEDS his second ring and to stamp out his own legacy in Baltimore as one of the very best players in league history now that Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are long retired. This is the perfect opportunity for him to do it.

BxS9DK1IUAAwgWH.png:large

If Ravens not give so much money to Joe Flaccid, then they have cap to sign some Defense.

And I like Joe Flaccid because he is from NJ.

Erase this thread and continue to post in the SBBC. It will be alright.

Obligatory:
06_Caw_FlaccoDebate_news.jpg

And

Ray Lewis is a murderer and fraud.

The Ravens have resigned Center Jeremy Zuttah and I honestly have no idea how to feel about it.

Most of the writers seemed to be happy he was gone and disappointed he came back, but he went to a pro-bowl last year as an alternate? IDK, I didn't pay too close attention to how the center played game-in-game-out. His replacement (Ryan Jensen) has never started a game in the NFL, while Zuttah is a seasoned veteran.

The problems are that Zuttah is undersized and the Ravens wanted to beef up on the o-line, especially with the new run-blocking schemes brought by Greg Roman.

I trust Ozzie made a good decision in bringing him back and we need depth since we've lost so many players, but I have no idea who will start. Harbaugh is already saying he pretty much only sees Zuttah as a center, so we'll see.

Zuttah went to the PB by default.

The defense has been disappointing, but a lot of it has been having to be on the field way too much. They need to bring back someone who runs Kubiak's system.

I was pretty optimistic when Ozzie went all-D in the draft. The injuries have me worried about Joe's health. Not to mention that hurting your back lifting can be a lifelong injury.

Zuttah went to the PB by default.

The defense has been disappointing, but a lot of it has been having to be on the field way too much. They need to bring back someone who runs Kubiak's system.

I knowww man, I wish we could have kept Kubiak, but I liked how the offense looked toward the end of last year. I feel like it'll be the best it's been since Kubiak with a full year under Marty. The offense came out and won the Steelers game and then the defense gave it right back.

I was pretty optimistic when Ozzie went all-D in the draft. The injuries have me worried about Joe's health. Not to mention that hurting your back lifting can be a lifelong injury.

Same about being optimistic about the draft/offseason!

What was the exact cause of Flacco's injury? Was it lifting? Is it a soft-tissue/disc injury?

Ravens so injured they took off practice yesterday, lmao.

Woodhead is out with something, Ronnie Stanley (our 1st round pick last year/franchise left tackle) missed a practice... the injuries just keep coming. Fortunately, they are all on offense and Lardarius Webb is having his best camp in years and he's the 2nd longest tenured player on defense. I've always liked him, he can play every position in the secondary and he got cut and came back for less money just bc he loves playing as a Raven and wants to teach the youngins. Good shit.

Oh, Tim Williams, rookie pass rusher, had an injury too --- there were literally like 17 players out of the last practice I think.

Stay healthy, defense!

I knowww man, I wish we could have kept Kubiak, but I liked how the offense looked toward the end of last year. I feel like it'll be the best it's been since Kubiak with a full year under Marty. The offense came out and won the Steelers game and then the defense gave it right back.

Same about being optimistic about the draft/offseason!

What was the exact cause of Flacco's injury? Was it lifting? Is it a soft-tissue/disc injury?
Don't know what happened to Flacco, but being out this long can't be good.

Missed the game the other night. Saw about practice yesterday. Lol.

It's not called a flock of Ravens and Ray Lewis is a murderer

ravens-flock-logo-439-234.png

One thing that really excites me is stuff like this, this is Eric DeCosta talking about some player development. I didn't mention Chuck Clark in my draft pick list above because he was our last pick, but apparently DeCosta likes him (asst general manager.) -- I feel like the Ravens drafted really well last year and this year.

Players he likes:

ILB Kamalei Correa

DeCosta:
“Kamalei Correa has made a good jump this year. He’s shown maturity, both on defense and also on special teams. We’re excited to see his growth continue. That’s been good for us.”

WR Keenan Reynolds

DeCosta: “I think Keenan Reynolds is a guy that has really improved a lot from when he came in last year as a quarterback to now. He had a nice return, his receiving skills have really improved quite a bit. He’s a guy that has made some nice plays for us in practices, and he’s really improved a lot as a player.”

^^ a pick I really liked last year

S Chuck Clark

DeCosta: “Later-round draft pick, we liked him on tape, but he’s really shown to us … we liked him on special teams in college quite a bit, but he’s shown to us that he’s really a viable safety, and he’s going to be a guy that pays dividends for us down the road. We’re excited about him and think he has a really good chance to help us.”

DE/FB Patrick Ricard

DeCosta: “A guy that has just consistently been really good is the kid from Maine, Ricard. He’s played some tight end for us, fullback. He’s been consistently good from the time he got here, and he’s a guy that we think has a really good chance to help us at some point and make the team and be a good player for us.”

^^another undrafted free agent, we got a couple really good players as undrafted rookies. Overall this rookie class is fucking STACKED, IMO.

Last edited:
I'm just going all in on the defense and not even caring about the offense because not only did we draft great players and acquire them in free agency, apparently there are some really good undrafted rookies that are likely to make the squad as well.

As long as Flacco can play we'll be fine.

Apparently Chris Wormley, our 3rd pick in the draft, hasn't looked that great, but we have really great depth up front so it's not a problem. Hopefully he can develop.

Good article on the depth up front: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-pass-rush-20170824-story.html

I'm hoping the rookies are caught up to full game speed by mid-season and if Tim Williams plays to his potential, we will have a MUCH better pass rush than last year.

I find Jimmy Smith's comments very interesting

"Defense has long been the strength of this franchise. Smith, in particular, has been on defenses that were led by Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, finished as high as No. 3 and helped the Ravens win a Super Bowl.

This year's defense has quickly separated itself in one regard.

"We have had tight corps groups, but this one is different in the sense that everybody on defense is together," Smith said. "It sounds kind of corny to say, but it is like we really are all friends. We all sit on the bus [together], we all joke, and it means something down the road and especially on the field when you are talking to players and trying to pick somebody up or you are trying to push somebody else."

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-...defense-in-preseason-will-prove-to-be-special

Now hopefully he just stays healthy all year long.

Back