Anyone here ever actually train/compete in Dog Brothers?

sakfjgadsyukgf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been sort of low-key fascinated with DB since I discovered them earlier this year. I see that practitioners here and in Europe semi-regularly upload videos of their gatherings on Youtube, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone on Sherdog say they actually trained or competed in the system. It's just a bit puzzling to me because there's so much interest in HEMA, Kendo, fencing, escrima, and other weapons-based martial arts of varying degrees of practicality- it seems like everyone acknowledges Dog Brothers is the most complete/realistic weapons MA out there, right? Or is it just an open ruleset competition without specific techniques behind it? Wasn't sure if there's schools where people 'train' Dog Brothers techniques prior to the gathering, or if you just show up and do whatever.

I'd be interested in at least practicing the art if not actually attending the gatherings. I'd love to hear other people's experiences with it, if they've done it. I'm in eastern Massachusetts, if there's something local (yes, I've been on the DB website looking for affiliates- extremely minimal info there)

If you are in Eastern Mass, check out AMOK Global.

Technique-wise, the Dog Brothers go to Lameco, Illustrisimo, and Pekiti Tirsia the most. Some TMAs will dismiss it by saying there is no technique behind it, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that real fighting is not as pretty as static training.

If you are in Eastern Mass, check out AMOK Global.

Technique-wise, the Dog Brothers go to Lameco, Illustrisimo, and Pekiti Tirsia the most. Some TMAs will dismiss it by saying there is no technique behind it, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that real fighting is not as pretty as static training.

Thanks man!

I began Jiu Jitsu in the late 90's in CA and a guy dropped into our school telling us about his club "Dog Brothers" and that they include stick fighting in grappling. He taught a class for us with ways to choke and cause pain using a single stick while grappling.

I still remember a few of the techniques and have followed Dog Brothers ever since.

I think the dude was a founding member ? I don't know his name but "Loki" comes to mind when I try to think back

Interesting mindset and ruleset.

However, I also understand the detractors in that full contact weapons fighting with armour / protective gear is not realistic.

Interesting mindset and ruleset.

However, I also understand the detractors in that full contact weapons fighting with armour / protective gear is not realistic.

Is it? I dunno. They don't really have much armor, just a fencing mask and maybe gloves (and a cup, I would hope).

Not to veer into the political, but watching the street unrest and clashes in my country makes me sort of appreciate stick/club fighting. Yes yes, a gun for actual self-defense and combat (I'm an American, obviously I have guns). But seems like lots of these clashes are sub-lethal force, you beat up the other side but don't kill them. Seems like bringing a stick/club/baton whatever is a realistic situation I could find myself in, in the near future. Versus, say, sword fighting/HEMA-type stuff, which looks very cool but has zero real world application. If it gets bad enough one is breaking out an actual sword, why not just go straight to the gun....

I'm interested in martial arts for realistic situations, not LARPing. So it seems like stick fighting could have real usage, and I haven't seen anything better than Dog Brothers (yet)

Is it? I dunno. They don't really have much armor, just a fencing mask and maybe gloves (and a cup, I would hope).

Not to veer into the political, but watching the street unrest and clashes in my country makes me sort of appreciate stick/club fighting. Yes yes, a gun for actual self-defense and combat (I'm an American, obviously I have guns). But seems like lots of these clashes are sub-lethal force, you beat up the other side but don't kill them. Seems like bringing a stick/club/baton whatever is a realistic situation I could find myself in, in the near future. Versus, say, sword fighting/HEMA-type stuff, which looks very cool but has zero real world application. If it gets bad enough one is breaking out an actual sword, why not just go straight to the gun....

I'm interested in martial arts for realistic situations, not LARPing. So it seems like stick fighting could have real usage, and I haven't seen anything better than Dog Brothers (yet)

Yeah I guess for stick fighting they are a pretty good system.

However they tend to hit themselves multiple times on the hand and the head in a bout, I believe that many of these blows would be incapacitating IRL.

That being said yeah, much more applicable than that fancy shit you see in FMAs.

Yeah I guess for stick fighting they are a pretty good system.

However they tend to hit themselves multiple times on the hand and the head in a bout, I believe that many of these blows would be incapacitating IRL.

That being said yeah, much more applicable than that fancy shit you see in FMAs.

What's unrealistic about wearing a helmet and gloves if expecting a fight? Cops wear body armor when they confront civilians and increasingly civilians are wearing home made armor too in such confrontations.

Interestingly if both people are wearing amour and fighting with sticks or swords than the effect of the weapon is reduced and the fight resembles mma. So my thinking is why not just train MMA?

I get the impression that most of what the dog brothers teach and practice isn't that different than MMA etc, the only difference is there sparring sessions are more dangerous.

The reason I stopped doing escrima was it was pretty much boxing with a stick, but no sparring and taught by amatures. I get the sense most of dog brothers training would be the same except sometimes you get really beat up.

What's unrealistic about wearing a helmet and gloves if expecting a fight? Cops wear body armor when they confront civilians and increasingly civilians are wearing home made armor too in such confrontations.

Interestingly if both people are wearing amour and fighting with sticks or swords than the effect of the weapon is reduced and the fight resembles mma. So my thinking is why not just train MMA?

I get the impression that most of what the dog brothers teach and practice isn't that different than MMA etc, the only difference is there sparring sessions are more dangerous.

The reason I stopped doing escrima was it was pretty much boxing with a stick, but no sparring and taught by amatures. I get the sense most of dog brothers training would be the same except sometimes you get really beat up.

Fair points I guess.

The early Dog Brothers shit - back in the late 90's was fucking savage. Guys who broke from the traditional escrima stuff and started taking Gracie Jiu Jitsu with the idea of seeing what would really work in a fight. They wore fencing masks and the original videos were bloody testaments to the reality of stick fighting: You need grappling in your arsenal.

The Dog Brothers founding members were students of Dan Inosanto and/ or Paul Vunak. So the roots are FMA. JKD instructor Burton Richardson was also one of the original members. Their motto was higher consciousness through harder contact or some shit like that.

My old MT instructor is pretty high up in their system. Always seemed a little too out there for me but I never really dug deeper into it.

Back