Gen5 Glock Has Arrived!

18tw5u.jpg
It's possible to be a fan of both.

I've got some gorgeous Kimbers in .45 ACP.

The only modification I will consistently make to my Glock frames is this one:
4002639_04_glock_34gen4_zev_tech_od_green_640.jpg

The undercut. I have somewhat fat fingers and if I shoot more than about 50-60 rounds out a Glock in one trip I chew the shit out of my middle finger.

I'd like a Gen 3 19 that I could mount a Vortex Viper on and has front serrations. Nothing ridiculous but something akin to this:
neo-website-19-e1501617156740.jpg
Looks very practical. Who did your stippling?

My Springer 1911 was a 21st bday gift from my dad. Retailed at the time I received it for like $650. Has WWII style sights on it.

The Para 14.45 was $1200. Came with a threaded barrel, 2 mags, and suppressor sights. Love both guns.

ALL THAT SAID, if SHTF and I actually had to use my plate carrier and gear setup my Glock 23 with 9mm conversion and G19 mags are what I am taking not the 1911s.

AND OLD TIMER?! I'm not even 30 yet.

EDIT:
Also, outside of my Springer not liking certain types of hollow points (looking at you Winchester white box hollow points) I've never had a reliability issue with either of them.

Actually, my Para runs like a goddamn tank. Dropped it breech open into a fucking mud puddle, pulled it out and made sure nothing was obstructed and it ran like a champ.

You got the milspec Springer? Nice piece for sure. Can't knock it. I like Springfields esp their XDs. ;)

Glad to hear your guns are reliable. That's the key to a good firearm.

The Para sounds cool. Never shot one before though. Coulda got yourself 2 Glocks for the price of that though. Just saying, it's your money.

Kinda won my argument for me though with your choice of SHTF set up. My go to SHTF pistol is a Glock 19 with Glock 17 mags.

Not even 30?!? Can't lie, I'm kinda hatin.

Haven't heard much on the subject the last couple of years (forums, online magazines, acquaintences), so the issue(s) must've been resolved.
It was from when they first came out in 2010. Apparently they used the same guide rod (or guide rod spring) from the .40 S&W models in the 9mm variants and it was causing issues.

Also, outside of my Springer not liking certain types of hollow points (looking at you Winchester white box hollow points) I've never had a reliability issue with either of them.

Actually, my Para runs like a goddamn tank. Dropped it breech open into a fucking mud puddle, pulled it out and
Looks very practical. Who did your stippling?
Oh that isn't my gun. Just the first example I could find of an undercut that wasn't ridiculous looking. My 23 is very barebones. Just has some Wilson Combat sights on it and the undercut right against the grip but not on the triggerguard itself.

I want to put a flat face trigger on it but just can't really afford it right now.

Congrats!

How's that new "flared" mag well?

More pics please!

Frames, gen4 on left, gen5 on right:

wCOtvLh.jpg

You may notice that the spring for the slide lock has been changed to a coil spring vs. the older leaf spring. Also the ambi slide lock, and the lack of a third polymer pin behind the locking block. The pin is polymer and I doubt its removal would affect durability much in a 9mm.

Magwells, gen5 on left with cut-out and flared magwell:
en1oiTn.jpg

Magazine follower is bright orange:
41detH0.jpg

Slides, gen5 on left and gen4 on right:

497dgHe.jpg

The safety plunger has been changed to a ramped/sloped one like on the Glock 43. I have read to give a more consistent contact with trigger bar and a more consistent trigger pull as a result.

The recoil spring funnel/hole at the front of the slide is thicker on the gen5. This area sometimes would break on earlier models in heavy use, especially when the recoil springs aren't changed regularly.

Barrels: Gen5 on the left:

9qVcmTG.jpg

The barrel is said to be more accurate, with different, more traditional looking rifling and a recessed target crown. The chamber dimensions are said to be tighter as well..

Muzzles:
2keNC0g.jpg

The bevel looks nice IMO.

Another shot to show the muzzle bevel.
SkQRCeF.jpg

That's it, no more field stripping for tonight! lol

The thing that I think puts Glocks above the other polymer pistols is the aftermarket support.

EVERYONE and their mom makes sights for it
EVERYONE and their mom makes a trigger for it
EVERYONE and their mom makes connector bars for it
EVERYONE and their mom makes barrels for it
EVERYONE and their mom makes a holster for them

THAT plus their mags aren't $35 for a single one the way M&P or XD mags are. Seriously, even Magpul fucking makes mags that fit Glocks.. don't see Magpul making mags for M&P or XDs or even HKs.

I get what you're saying, but in reality parts aren't hard to come by for for Sigs, M&Ps, HKs, XDs, FNs, or any other polymer framed pistol. It comes down to preference and imo Glocks have the worst ergonomics out of all the pistol manufacturers I named which makes them less desirable to shoot. I see less and less people shooting Glocks these days...especially stock ones. I hardly ever see Glocks now in USPSA matches

I get what you're saying, but in reality parts aren't hard to come by for for Sigs, M&Ps, HKs, XDs, FNs, or any other polymer framed pistol. It comes down to preference and imo Glocks have the worst ergonomics out of all the pistol manufacturers I named which makes them less desirable to shoot. I see less and less people shooting Glocks these days...especially stock ones. I hardly ever see Glocks now in USPSA matches

Last I looked, Glocks are still used in matches more than any of those other polymer framed pistols. What's more popular now? CZ's and copies? Those are all steel anyway, and aren't as trouble free as glocks for a general purpose defensive 9mm.

Well I'll agree that polymer handguns are trash in that they're lightweight, effective, and cheap enough that they don't have any value to me in regards to passion or sentiment.

I have a nice collection of 1911s and Berettas that my sons will be very lucky to shoot when they're old enough, and one day inherit.

Polymer handguns are trash. Sorry but I have to put that out there. The weak plastic bullshit that sells for a handgun now a days is killing me on the inside.

The Para 14.45 has a bad rap for feed issues. No problems from yours? Did you modify the mags? Do STIs doublestack 1911 mags fit the Para?

My Springer 1911 was a 21st bday gift from my dad. Retailed at the time I received it for like $650. Has WWII style sights on it.

The Para 14.45 was $1200. Came with a threaded barrel, 2 mags, and suppressor sights. Love both guns.

ALL THAT SAID, if SHTF and I actually had to use my plate carrier and gear setup my Glock 23 with 9mm conversion and G19 mags are what I am taking not the 1911s.

AND OLD TIMER?! I'm not even 30 yet.

EDIT:

Actually, my Para runs like a goddamn tank. Dropped it breech open into a fucking mud puddle, pulled it out and made sure nothing was obstructed and it ran like a champ.

The Para 14.45 has a bad rap for feed issues. No problems from yours? Did you modify the mags? Do STIs doublestack 1911 mags fit the Para?
I only have the mags it came with and haven't modified anything and it runs ball and hollow points just fine.

What I've read about the Para DS is probably the result of typical internet hysteria.

The ones that have a problem are the ones compelled to get online and bitch, while the ones whose weapon/car/etc. is performing great are more likely to be out living life and not making any noise.

I've got a very similar STI DS that is probably my all time personal favorite.

I only have the mags it came with and haven't modified anything and it runs ball and hollow points just fine.

Last edited:
Frames, gen4 on left, gen5 on right:

wCOtvLh.jpg

You may notice that the spring for the slide lock has been changed to a coil spring vs. the older leaf spring. Also the ambi slide lock, and the lack of a third polymer pin behind the locking block. The pin is polymer and I doubt its removal would affect durability much in a 9mm.

Magwells, gen5 on left with cut-out and flared magwell:
en1oiTn.jpg

Magazine follower is bright orange:
41detH0.jpg

Slides, gen5 on left and gen4 on right:

497dgHe.jpg

The safety plunger has been changed to a ramped/sloped one like on the Glock 43. I have read to give a more consistent contact with trigger bar and a more consistent trigger pull as a result.

The recoil spring funnel/hole at the front of the slide is thicker on the gen5. This area sometimes would break on earlier models in heavy use, especially when the recoil springs aren't changed regularly.

Barrels: Gen5 on the left:

9qVcmTG.jpg

The barrel is said to be more accurate, with different, more traditional looking rifling and a recessed target crown. The chamber dimensions are said to be tighter as well..

Muzzles:
2keNC0g.jpg

The bevel looks nice IMO.

Another shot to show the muzzle bevel.
SkQRCeF.jpg

That's it, no more field stripping for tonight! lol
Awesome stuff! Thanks for taking the time to do this!

I like most of the features but wish they would have kept the finger grooves.

I am torn between this and getting a VP9. I own a M&P 9c now as my EDC but the G19 has always had an appeal that I liked. I owned a VP40 and loved it. I ended up selling it though to get some home repairs done. Being all my other pistols are 9mm I figured getting the 9 version.

Also waiting to see if S&W will be making a M2 version of the 9c...

so they took the finger grooves off it. So they reinvented the Gen 3 (the BEST gen). gj.

Last I looked, Glocks are still used in matches more than any of those other polymer framed pistols. What's more popular now? CZ's and copies? Those are all steel anyway, and aren't as trouble free as glocks for a general purpose defensive 9mm.

I know they're still out there, but like I said, I hardly ever see them. Obviously the most popular guns in competition are 1911 style and CZ designs are used a lot. I shoot production and I hardly ever see them. Stock Glocks aren't very popular these days

300 rounds of 124gr. Prvi Partizan and 50 rounds of Federal HST 147gr.s so far.

No malfs and no brass to face. Can't wait to get sights for this thing!

tkiGvI2.jpg

MkCYgXl.jpg

Really diggin' the trigger and lack of finger grooves on this thing. Almost effortless sight tracking and hitting IMO.

Back