THE SINNER (Season 3 Discussion)

I watched the series On Demand. It was pretty good but I'm sure it would have dragged on commercial tv. They were 50 minute episodes with commercials via On Demand. I can imagine another 10 minutes of commercials would really make it drag.

I don't understand why her parents never reported them missing. Did they think they went to Florida? Her mother said she heard them talking about Florida.

Finale was pretty good. The show should have been 6 episodes imo. Overall maybe a 6.5-7/10 imo. I felt like the suspense dissipated because they just kept showing basically the same things for 6 episodes and then finally got it.

Finished it last night.

I thought the first two episodes were good and the last two episodes were good. The four in the middle kind of dragged and just didn't push the plot forward very much.

One thing I'm pleased with is that the ending genuinely took me by surprise. My greatest fear from the beginning was that the show was going to go the predictable route of her just having been molested by her dad or raped by some guy, and it ended up being none of those. The story is tragic, but there was more humanity to it than I was expecting. You can understand why everyone did what they did and handled the situation in the manner in which they handled it.

Jessica Biel was also obviously very good and surprised me with her performance.

All in all I thought it was a pretty good show but not great. I think I'd concur with your rating of 6.5 or 7. Probably closer to 6.5 for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why her parents never reported them missing. Did they think they went to Florida? Her mother said she heard them talking about Florida.

Yeah, there was a line where Biel's character said, "Why did you not call the police when we didn't come home that night?"

And her mom said, "We thought you ran away. Did you think I didn't hear you two whispering about Florida?"

Finished it last night.

I thought the first two episodes were good and the last two episodes were good. The four in the middle kind of dragged and just didn't push the plot forward very much.

One thing I'm pleased with is that the ending genuinely took me by surprise. My greatest fear from the beginning is that the show was going to go the predictable route of her just having been molested by her dad or raped by some guy, and it ended up being none of those. The story is tragic, but there was more humanity to it than I was expecting. You can understand why everyone did what they did and handled the situation in the manner in which they handled it.

Jessica Biel was also obviously very good and surprised me with her performance.

All in all I thought it was a pretty good show but not great. I think I'd concur with your rating of 6.5 or 7. Probably closer to 6.5 for me.

Agreed.

I think 6 episodes would have likely been perfect. Probably would bump my score up a point.

Sad ending? Dude, that was about as happy an ending as was even possible. She gets out in 2 years probably, got the full story on what happened to her & closure, and it turned out she wasn't even raped for months like she thought.

One thing I wasn't sure about was how realistic that was. If a judge has already handed down her sentence, and then some new information suddenly comes to light like that, can the judge just be like, "You know what? My bad. Let's do this totally different thing instead."

And Detective Powerbottom finally got a real, genuine hug from someone, that didn't involve a buttplug.

LOL

BTW, is it just me or is this dude. . .

130404christopher-abbott1.jpg

. . . clearly Kit Harington's long lost brother?

kitharington-759.jpg

One thing I wasn't sure about was how realistic that was. If a judge has already handed down her sentence, and then some new information suddenly comes to light like that, can the judge just be like, "You know what? My bad. Let's do this totally different thing instead."

LOL

I thought of it as basically just appealing the orginal decision based on new evidence. Idk, pretty sure you can appeal anything as long as your appeal holds weight.

LOL

Yeah, Criminal Sentence Modification is a thing. It's actually pretty easy for a judge to do, it's just super rare. It usually involves a convict cooperating in helping out with some other case that comes up, but in some cases it can be mitigating circumstances suddenly coming to light, like in the show.

I thought of it as basically just appealing the orginal decision based on new evidence. Idk, pretty sure you can appeal anything as long as your appeal holds weight.

Yeah, but doesn't an appeal usually involve lots of time and lawyers and paperwork and hearings?

Maybe there's some kind of timeframe after the sentence is handed down in which a judge can act like that.

Yeah, Criminal Sentence Modification is a thing. It's actually pretty easy for a judge to do, it's just super rare. It usually involves a convict cooperating in helping out with some other case that comes up, but in some cases it can be mitigating circumstances suddenly coming to light, like in the show.

Hmm, interesting.

BTW, is it just me or is this dude. . .

130404christopher-abbott1.jpg

. . . clearly Kit Harington's long lost brother?

kitharington-759.jpg

On a similar note, I think filmmaker Edgar Wright looks like all 3 major Stark-ish brothers (Robb, Jon, Theon) smushed into one person.

5429.jpg

From Deadline.

Hmm. . .

It was a strong finish for the Jessica Biel-starring and executive produced series, whose ratings steadily grew throughout its eight-episode run. The mystery drama also was well received by critics, triggering conversations about a potential second installment even before the finale.

Because of the nature of the The Sinner, which told a self-contained story, the series does not naturally lend itself to multiple seasons but discussions have been ongoing, with the network and producers exploring scenarios for a followup installment that could involve character(s) from the first season, including Bill Pullman’s Detective Harry Ambrose and, in some capacity, Beal’s Cora Tannetti. The hope is that The Sinner would continue.

Overall, season one of The Sinner averaged 1.561 million adults 18-49, 1.797 million adults 25-54 and 3.848 million total viewers, ranking as the #1 new cable series of the year in those demos.

Attn: @RerouteToRemain @Peteyandjia @method115 @deltapapha @lts5025

@Loiosh is a fan of this show, surprised I don't see him up in this mu'fukkah.

Finished it last night.

One thing I'm pleased with is that the ending genuinely took me by surprise. My greatest fear from the beginning was that the show was going to go the predictable route of her just having been molested by her dad or raped by some guy, and it ended up being none of those. The story is tragic, but there was more humanity to it than I was expecting. You can understand why everyone did what they did and handled the situation in the manner in which they handled it.

I thought it was going down a much darker place. Looked like she was being taken into some sort of sex slave type industry. I thought the guy who she killed was a customer and maybe he regretted having sex with her because he didn't realize she was a slave or something similar to that.

I thought the real story was great a lot more simple and just bas circumstances all around. I love how she apologized to the parents because it's true their son didn't deserve to die. The funny thing is the dad did all of that to her to save his son and his son ends up dying because of it. His son could have got off Scott free from that it was clearly an accident at most he would have got a small sentence.

I hope they don't do another season. I didn't know it was just a 1 season type of deal. They should keep it that way. Shows that do this always want to try and go for more and they always end up ruining it.

Interesting, so more of a spinoff. I couldn't imagine adding anything to Jessica's storyline.

Not sure how interested I'd be tbh.

Glad to see it had that kinda success.

Honestly, my first thought when I finished the finale was: This could easily just be considered another season of True Detective, if you just think of Pullman as the hidden lead. It has all the hallmarks: good-hearted detective with personal problems, fucked up dark subject, 8 episodes.

Yeah, I'm guessing that if they do it, then like you say Petey it will be kind of like True Detective, just with continuity with the first season. Same detective, maybe check in on Cora every once in a while, but a totally different criminal mystery.

It could be interesting if done well. But considering that I only liked the first season JUST ENOUGH to keep watching, I'm not sure how excited I am for a season 2.

Yeah, I'm guessing that if they do it, then like you say Petey it will be kind of like True Detective, just with continuity with the first season. Same detective, maybe check in on Cora every once in a while, but a totally different criminal mystery.

It could be interesting if done well. But considering that I only liked the first season JUST ENOUGH to keep watching, I'm not sure how excited I am for a season 2.

I would be pumped for it, Pullman did fantastic work and I loved that character. Would love to see him work on another case completely unrelated, and then maybe visit Cora in the psych ward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back