Relationship HYUUUGE update: My oldest friend is in the hospital. Please check out my new post

Andy Capp

2GM/c2 Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Finally got around to adding this to the OP

Update:
He got to go home eventually, though with a hospital bed and a bunch of machines, then COVID hit and he and his wife became more isolated than ever. He held on like a warrior until last Sunday.

His birthday was last month. He was 56.

He had a special knife-edge wit and intellect that was belied by his gentle and easy going nature. Genetics dealt him a bad hand and he made out like a bandit with it for longer than early predictions could have ever accounted for.

Sorry it's been so long since I updated; everyone was so kind to respond and am so sorry for appearing to have taken your support for granted. Please know that's not the case and I am very grateful.

Edit: He is survived by a devoted wife and step daughter who were as perfect a fit for them in their own way as my own wife is to the peculiar arsehole writing this.

Give someone a hug today for me, ok?

In closing,
200.gif

Thanks.

EDIT: the original OP is below, but here's the info as presented on the local news website so you know it's legit and can get more info:
'A bit of sunshine': P.E.I. man asks for cards to brighten long hospital stay
garfield-maclean-prince-county-hospital-1-10-17.jpg

"We didn't know if he was going to make it," said his wife Lori MacLean. "We're always together. We're never apart unless one of us is at work, or off doing something else. We're always together. So it's rough."

That's when MacLean told Lori that he'd like put out a request for pictures and cards to put up in his room — not just from friends and family in P.E.I., but anywhere in the world.

...they're hoping Garfield's request reaches as many people as possible.

"He just wants the interaction. You can't have too many visitors when you're in the I.C.U.," Lori said.

The MacLeans said they look forward to any help brightening up the hospital room.

"It's just the fact people are taking their time out of their busy schedule to send a bit of sunshine," Lori said. "It would just brighten all our days."

So, that's the situation, its not about me, and it's not an appeal for money. My oldest friend is in the hospital; he's very sick and they don't know when he will be released. He's overcome some huge obstacles in his life, polio, muscular dystrophy, double curvature of the spine, and the list goes on but this time he's getting his ass kicked and he could use your support. As crooked as his spine is he's the most stand up guy I've ever known. He's literally that one guy everyone knows and about whom no one ever has anything negative to say.

More recently, diverticulitus, the same disease that floored Brock Lesnar, took his mobility away and he was confined to a wheel chair. Pneumonia took away even that bit of independence. Getting to the point, his hospital room doesn't have a window. He and his wife are asking anyone at all to just send a post card from some place with a nice view or scene. Ideally, we'd like to see post cards from all over the world.

Wadda ya say, peeps? Help out a really great guy (not me) and make his days in the hospital a little less miserable? They're off to a good start, but I know if it takes hold here we could really make a difference and brighten his day.

You can mail them to:

Garfield (Lori) MacLean
P.O. Box 12
Summerside, PE
Canada
C1N 4P6

Mods, if you could sticky this and or help spread the word to the other sub forums, I would very much appreciate it.

Last edited:
I'll send something bro

sorry to hear that but most people here are from USA, might be hard mailing regular US mail to Canada even regular ground.

sorry to hear that but most people here are from USA, might be hard mailing regular US mail to Canada even regular ground.
What do you mean it might be hard?
It's ok if it takes a while. It's understood, such is the way of mail. Is there some other source of concern?

EDIT: the original OP is below, but here's the info as presented on the local news website so you know it's legit and can get more info:
'A bit of sunshine': P.E.I. man asks for cards to brighten long hospital stay
garfield-maclean-prince-county-hospital-1-10-17.jpg

"We didn't know if he was going to make it," said his wife Lori MacLean. "We're always together. We're never apart unless one of us is at work, or off doing something else. We're always together. So it's rough."

That's when MacLean told Lori that he'd like put out a request for pictures and cards to put up in his room — not just from friends and family in P.E.I., but anywhere in the world.

...they're hoping Garfield's request reaches as many people as possible.

"He just wants the interaction. You can't have too many visitors when you're in the I.C.U.," Lori said.

The MacLeans said they look forward to any help brightening up the hospital room.

"It's just the fact people are taking their time out of their busy schedule to send a bit of sunshine," Lori said. "It would just brighten all our days."

So, that's the situation, its not about me, and it's not an appeal for money. My oldest friend is in the hospital; he's very sick and they don't know when he will be released. He's overcome some huge obstacles in his life, polio, muscular dystrophy, double curvature of the spine, and the list goes on but this time he's getting his ass kicked and he could use your support. As crooked as his spine is he's the most stand up guy I've ever known. He's literally that one guy everyone knows and who no one ever has anything negative to say about him.

More recently, diverticulitus, the same disease that floored Brock Lesnar, took his mobility away and he was confined to a wheel chair. Pneumonia took away even that bit of independence. Getting to the point, his hospital room doesn't have a window. He and his wife are asking anyone at all to just send a post card from some place with a nice view or scene. Ideally, we'd like to see post cards from all over the world.

Wadda ya say, peeps? Help out a really great guy (not me) and make his days in the hospital a little less miserable? They're off to a good start, but I know if it takes hold here we could really make a difference and brighten his day.

You can mail them to:

Garfield (Lori) MacLean
P.O. Box 12
Summerside, PE
Canada
C1N 4P6

Mods, if you could sticky this and or help spread the word to the other sub forums, I would very much appreciate it.
I have a similar disease as him so this will be me some day soon. I'll send him some of these.
fullsize

It's ok if it takes a while. It's understood, such is the way of mail. Is there some other source of concern?

Does a regular stamp get it into Canada?

The cost, foo! That big baller doesn't want to spend $1.15.

Oh, who am I kidding? Neither do I.

Last edited:
no offense, but how much satisfaction can one get from a card from a random stranger? i understand feeling terrible and feeling grief about the pain someone else is in, but to ask for something specific from strangers is, well strange.

man, that is some tragic story, dude really hit a rough spot catching all that bad health shit at the same time

no offense, but how much satisfaction can one get from a card from a random stranger? i understand feeling terrible and feeling grief about the pain someone else is in, but to ask for something specific from strangers is, well strange.
Yeah, it's a bit peculiar, but the cost for hope is relatively cheap. Well wishes in letter form do seem to work; did you see Oceans 13?

Thanks. And feel free to pass it on as much as you like. I truly don't think it's much to ask of almost anyone.
It's a little bit of humanity in a cold, hard world. I joke around a lot, but this is something worth doing, IMO.

None taken, but since I'm not bed ridden with nothing but hospital equipment to look at I am in no position to judge. It's just to brighten up a dreary place. He may be there a long time. Have you ever spent a long time in a room with no windows? They call that cruel and unusual punishment in some places.

The cost, foo! That big baller doesn't want to spend $1.15.

Oh, who am I kidding? Neither do I.
EDIT, also @shadow_priest_x: Yeah, I can't say I really took the additional cost of international postage into account and if that is a barrier for someone, I would not presume to judge. But I would hope most Sherdoggers can manage.

It shouldn't cost that much for people in the states. I sent a package over for $3. It was small and fit through the little slip. So I assume a card wouldn't cost anymore than that.

bump
C'mon people... we ought to be able to do better than this.
Is there a certain mod of the 'berry I can appeal to to sticky it or move it to another sub forum that will have more traffic?

I would think just the idea that a complete stranger is willing to take time out of their day to write and mail him something means a lot. It's a random act of kindness from a complete unknown. It's kind of cool.

I would think just the idea that a complete stranger is willing to take time out of their day to write and mail him something means a lot. It's a random act of kindness from a complete unknown. It's kind of cool.
Absolutely. I would say this is like providing the sugar to turn lemons into lemonade. It helps.

I'm going to send this guy a thoughtfully written postcard, but I was tempted to post a remark about us all sending him dick pics. The battle 'tween dark and light takes many forms.

Back