"No Grown Man should weigh 125lbs"

I weight 135 (60kg) and I'm 5ft 9 (175)

I can't put on weight if I tried

- Charles Atlas

A case for why the 125 division makes no sense.

1. Healthy. muscular grown men cannot naturally weigh 125lbs unless they are under 5 feet.

2. Fighters making that weight are draining their body and affecting their health.

3. Nobody wants to watch little guys with no power bounce around.

4. The general population who are that size don't take up athletics. At best they become jockeys.
Defo a man of great wisdom

Except no-one at FLW walks around at 125lbs. MM is 140lbs when he fights and he is one of the smallest FLWs.
I didn't feel at all ill walkin around at 140ish and I'm 6ft. I certainly felt better than I did at 215. No issue with people being that size when they're in damn good shape like MM is.

I agree. Without weight cutting the smallest weight class should be 170.

I weight 135 (60kg) and I'm 5ft 9 (175)

I can't put on weight if I tried
no way....600mgs of test a week over 16 weeks would put on about 7 or 8 lean pounds easy....and thats if you dont work out....with exercise, 10-15lbs....

were supposed to be tolerant and accepting of everyones differences when it comes to skin color, gender, sexuality, etc. now size is the new prejudice. its so petty its hilarious. small people should be allowed to fight, too.

Are there weight requirements for special forces or army? Or is it just your carrying power

For all the shit Mighty Mouse gets, just remember that he out earns pretty much every one of us.

I wonder how this makes 105lb Atomweights / Mini Flyweights feel

Except no-one at FLW walks around at 125lbs. MM is 140lbs when he fights and he is one of the smallest FLWs.
I've met Ray Borg in person, he's a midget compared to me and I'm 5'9", can't imagine how small MM is. That said, they'd both kick my ass with very little effort.

It's always the people that have never trained more than a week in any combat sport that spouts this type of nonsense.

The division isn't boring because the guys are 125lbs. Need proof? Look at popularity of Bruce Lee.
The whole division is gunked up because there is one champion ever and the guy is just like GSP except he never had a Matt Hughes to beat. Just like GSP, MM beats people where they are weakest and while it's strategically the best plan for winning it makes boring fights. Who wants to see Shields strike or Thiago Alves wrestle?

Fact, MM has 11 title defenses which is hard to do at any weight class. In every title defense, MM has made it look ridiculously easy and gets better every time he competes. The man is a legend and the greatest MMA of all time as of now. P4P #1. Just to make things interesting, MM should get a shot at the winner of Garbrandt vs Dillashaw for the BW title.
MM should go up, there are no clear contender in FW for now, maybe if baby Pettis wins another one they could give it to him other than that MM has cleaned out the FW division, so they should force him to go up.

Seriously. One of my best friends is a marine. He's about 5'5ish and 140lbs. Strong motherfucker too. Qualified to be a firefighter. Where did all this short people hate come from? There's a fuck ton of short people in the world. shit is normal.

To be fair I think a lot of the baiting on Sherdog tends to come because some posters seem to have a Napoleon complex that naturally draws trolling, someone comfortable with being short probably isn't going to get nearly such a reaction.

In terms of MMA though I think the size issue is overstated at 125lbs, the much bigger issue is people dislike it because the talent base simply isn't there and MM, a fighter who does have high level skill is seen as wasting his potential in the division rather than testing himself fully.

Last edited:
It is 2017 my friends. He has a point.

Yes is it. Why do you guys think Olympic wrestling, judo, all the combat sports have recognized a 120 weight class? Or multiple under 150? Do you think they were politically pressured into making some PC division to please unhappy short people? The outrage was too much for the IOC to handle? Maybe giving more medals would be fun? Or has these sports been watched over with an experienced eye for multiple generations and maybe they concluded there are great wrestlers/competitors at these sizes who are forced to compete under tough conditions, and they should be given an division to face equally sized opponents?

You guys are proudly ignorant, but for anyone else, you should consider this.

Stop bitching this stupid ass statement isn't original or accurate

Back