Hate to say it but Tony is an easy fight for Conor

Conor takes him down at will

Not a Conor fan, but I respect his abilities. Very interesting fight that could go either way.

Either Conor lights Tony up on the feet early or Tony somehow gets Conor on the ground and mauls him. All it takes is one instance of Tony doing damage to Conor on the ground and he'll be diminished. I could actually see Tony lighting Conor up on the feet after 2 or 3 successful takedowns/guard pulls. But if Conor scores a knock down early you know he won't get baited into going to the ground...he'll just try to repeat the cycle and will probably be successful at it.

Smart money would be for Tony to spam leg kicks and body kicks for the first round, forget about punching which would open bigger holes to get countered. I've never seen anyone attempt to chew up Conor's lead leg....and we know what body shots (kicks) would do.

Tony is like a cocaine Nate. He is a better, well rounded, more agressive and durable fighter who talks smack and gets into his opponent's head. If Conor can't land a finishing blow early then Tony's pace will gas Conor fast like he always does and drown.

So far one of the things we’ve seen is cocaine-like aggression isn’t the tactic to use against Conor. Think Aldo: 13 seconds. The two most successful guys are the guys with the cleanest well paced disciplined strikers, Max and Nick.

Tony’s pace will only gas Conor if that pace also causes damage. If Tony comes charging in wildly, which is his style, Conor will ding him up all night. Putting a pace on Conor has to come with damage as well and I don’t see Tony’s style of wild striking being very effective against Conor.

Not a Conor fan, but I respect his abilities. Very interesting fight that could go either way.

Either Conor lights Tony up on the feet early or Tony somehow gets Conor on the ground and mauls him. All it takes is one instance of Tony doing damage to Conor on the ground and he'll be diminished. I could actually see Tony lighting Conor up on the feet after 2 or 3 successful takedowns/guard pulls. But if Conor scores a knock down early you know he won't get baited into going to the ground...he'll just try to repeat the cycle and will probably be successful at it.

Smart money would be for Tony to spam leg kicks and body kicks for the first round, forget about punching which would open bigger holes to get countered. I've never seen anyone attempt to chew up Conor's lead leg....and we know what body shots (kicks) would do.

See, you mention a clear path for Conor to win (Conor lights up Tony on the feet). But when it comes to Tony’s path, it’s “SOMEHOW gets Conor to the ground”. We can’t really invision a way Tony getting this to the ground.

I do like your strategy of Tony using kicks though since Conor is no threat to take Tony down.

If Tony is the biggest threat outside of Lee and Khabib, that sets him back pretty far actually because you gotta put Nate ahead of Tony too then because Nate actually beat him once. So now Tony becomes the forth bigges threat im the division. Is that even a compliment?
It is and it isn't. It really depends on how he fights, if he chooses to grapple than Conor will be done within two rounds. Same story with Lee, if he thinks that he can strike with Conor then he will get slept.

I know that Conor has already beaten Mendes, but Lee and Khabib are stronger and have better grappling than Mendes does, and with a full camp should finish Conor. I only put the more pure grapplers ahead of him, as grappling is Conor's weakness, and it isn't guaranteed that Ferguson will want to grapple.

It is and it isn't. It really depends on how he fights, if he chooses to grapple than Conor will be done within two rounds. Same story with Lee, if he thinks that he can strike with Conor then he will get slept.

I know that Conor has already beaten Mendes, but Lee and Khabib are stronger and have better grappling than Mendes does, and with a full camp should finish Conor. I only put the more pure grapplers ahead of him, as grappling is Conor's weakness, and it isn't guaranteed that Ferguson will want to grapple.

I don’t know if Lee has better grappling than Mendes but hopefully we find out someday if Chad ever comes back. I can’t imagine Chad fall into that armbar attempt or that triangle finish. Looks like Chad is still in the gym training so that could be a fun matchup.

I don’t know if Lee has better grappling than Mendes but hopefully we find out someday if Chad ever comes back. I can’t imagine Chad fall into that armbar attempt or that triangle finish. Looks like Chad is still in the gym training so that could be a fun matchup.
Well, you fall into all kinds of things when you're gassed and don't have enough energy to explode out.

I think Lee has better grappling overall because he has actually been able to show it off vs good opponents. He can pass, mount and submit, he is almost impossible to kick off. Mendes has good wrestling, but iirc, that is as far as his game goes. He has a guillotine, but that is really it.

Slow down there buddy. Conor got finished by nate and barely got past him the second time. El cucuy is better than nate by the way.

Conor isnt some untouchable god hes very beatable, all you have to do is survive the first 2 rounds then he always starts to fade.

Conor doesn’t have a good habits when he starts to tire? Maybe not in the first Diaz fight but he obviously adjusted because he went 5 rounds in the rematch even though he supposedly was gassed by the second round. Sounds more like he evolved and learned from fight 1 to the rematch.

Yes. Rounds 3 and 5 he was way too stationary against a guy like Diaz, who frankly doesn't have great footwork and is easy to get away from. He adjusted and did better, but Conor doesn't know how to keep his activity up when he's slowing down. He won the rematch, but by no means was it a perfect performance. Far from it.

You can get away with that against a guy like Diaz, who has a predictable plan of attack. Against a guy like Tony, that's going to cause Conor many more problems. Especially since Tony is a far more apt clinch fighter than Nate is.

From what I've seen in the lando fight and lee, Conor will finish Tony.

I'm not saying tony is easy to beat because he obviously isn't but if Conor was where lando was (and I rate lando highly) , the fight would've ended when lando sent Tony tumbling.

Exciting fight, I think Conor will be difficult for Tony to get down and any attempt will be severely punished. The difference in striking is vast and any attempt by Tony to mix it with Conor will be suicide. If Tony can get it to the ground obviously he has a major chance. Hopefully we see this fight next.

Nate was a punching bag, still finished Conor and took him to his limit in the rematch. Conor is not unbeatable, especially with that gas tank.

Well, you fall into all kinds of things when you're gassed and don't have enough energy to explode out.

I think Lee has better grappling overall because he has actually been able to show it off vs good opponents. He can pass, mount and submit, he is almost impossible to kick off. Mendes has good wrestling, but iirc, that is as far as his game goes. He has a guillotine, but that is really it.

And a helluva doubleleg!

He’s way too hittable and wild. Conor’s striking is so accurate, Tony would be a punching bag. Unless Tony develops a blast double at the level of a Chad Mendes, easy win for Conor.

Agreed. He is unorthodox but, super easy to hit, he almost got one punched and planked by a guy with virtually no ufc experience; a journey man at best. Chin is questionable. IMHO, Tony could sub Mcgregor but, I see him standing, talking shit, and his ego kicking off trying to bang with Mcgregor. If he weathers the storm, I think Tony can win or get him out of there but, I see him standing, getting planked, and put away.

Nate was a punching bag, still finished Conor and took him to his limit in the rematch. Conor is not unbeatable, especially with that gas tank.

Mcgregor had a staph infection and it was 3 divisions above. Try again.

Slow down there buddy. Conor got finished by nate and barely got past him the second time. El cucuy is better than nate by the way.

Conor isnt some untouchable god hes very beatable, all you have to do is survive the first 2 rounds then he always starts to fade.

Like the saying goes, styles make fights and although I’d favor Tony vs Nate, I don’t think Tony could land on Conor enough to do enough damage to gas Conor out so quickly.

Survive 2 rounds? He beat both Nate and Max by decision. He won late rounds vs Nate to boot.

Tony has a tough chin. And once the fight gets to the canvas....Conor is gonna gasping.

Did you not see the journey man that put Tony on queer street? I got Tony having a suspect chin at best. A Mcgregor flurry puts Tony unconscious

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back