Nate's BJJ vs Tony's BJJ

I know I keep saying this but Tony vs Nate might be the GOAT fight.

That is the #1 matchup I want to see in all of MMA right now.

I know it can't be their very next fight but MMA Gods...please bless us with this matchup one day!!!!

I know I keep saying this but Tony vs Nate might be the GOAT fight.

That is the #1 matchup I want to see in all of MMA right now.

I know it can't be their very next fight but MMA Gods...please bless us with this matchup one day!!!!

Any combination of them and Masvidal. Nothing like chollo on chollo violence.

Nate is the more accomplished grappler. Tony is slick, but he is a brown belt. Nate is a legit black belt, and I personally think he would shut down Fergs game completely.....

I got Nate on this one...Tony showed some technical ability against a tired Kevin Lee. In a straight BJJ match, I give it to Nate 9/10 times.

Nates chin >>>> Nates Boxing >>>>> Fergie KTFO

What makes you say Nayts chin is better? Because he ate Connie’s overrated lefts like snacks?

Nate got KTFO by Josh Thomson. Fergie has never been finished, not to mention he ABUSED Thomson.

Kevin Lee has amazing grappling, but I don’t see him getting full mount on Nate Diaz.

Tony is slick, but Nate Diaz by far.

Last edited:
Responses here are pretty much spot on. I like both but I prefer Tony's 10th planet stuff, Eddie bravo is a genius.
I love how bravo is constantly evolving bjj. He doesn't just rest on classic moves , always adapting and innovating to catch ppl off guard.

A true martial artist unconstrained by conventional teachings. Awesome to watch .

40% of Nate's 30 fights ended with him winning by submission.
30% of Tony's 26 fights ended with him winning by submission.

So at least it's clear Nate favors the submission more than Tony.
But on the other hand that doesn't mean much.
Finishes isn't everything.
And one could argue that fighters with lots of standup finishes might not feel the need to go to the ground as often, so people with heavy hands might often have lower submission percentages.

Last edited:
Nate has better credentials and more experience. Nate's fundamentals are more likely to be way better than Tony's. Tony might have a more active style, but my money's on Nate. Nate's been a black belt for years. I think Tony's a brown.

Nate's, and its not close. Look at the people that Nate has subbed, vs Tony. Also, look who Nate trains with: Jake, Nick, Kron, etc. If Nate actually tried to use his BJJ more, his sub percentage would be insane...he only seems to use it as a last option.

- Tony's toughest BJJ guy he subbed: Tibau and Lee (and sorry, I don't actually consider Lee a high level BJJ guy, but I'll give it to you).

- Nate subbed: Jim Miller (high level BB), Kurt Pellegrino (high level BB at the time), Junior Assuncāo (high level BB) and Ryan Hall (very high level BB, and yes, in a pure BJJ match, still impressive as fuck).

Sherdog loves to ride on emotion. Tony subs Lee last night and all of a sudden his BJJ is on par with Nate's? lol. Macro--->micro.

one way to find out call Uncle Chael to put them on SUG

Nate has obviously better pure BJJ but Tony has better overral grappling

I'd say Nate. The way he handled Jim Miller on the ground and choked him out was spectacular. I get he hasn't looked the same for a while but Miller is no joke on the ground.

Tony's BJJ though is nothing to be scoffed at, once he's fought in the ufc as long as Nate i'm sure his bjj will be amazing.

Imagine a grappling war between these 2...i'd eat crow if need be

Tony has a great d'arce and a strong, active guard. His BJJ is not elite though. It's like people only remember the submission and not the fact that he got mounted by fucking Kevin Lee. That would not have happened to Nate.

The trend of MMA fans thinking of BJJ as nothing more than submissions continues.

Nate's, and its not close. Look at the people that Nate has subbed, vs Tony. Also, look who Nate trains with: Jake, Nick, Kron, etc. If Nate actually tried to use his BJJ more, his sub percentage would be insane...he only seems to use it as a last option.

- Tony's toughest BJJ guy he subbed: Tibau and Lee (and sorry, I don't actually consider Lee a high level BJJ guy, but I'll give it to you).

- Nate subbed: Jim Miller (high level BB), Kurt Pellegrino (high level BB at the time), Junior Assuncāo (high level BB) and Ryan Hall (very high level BB, and yes, in a pure BJJ match, still impressive as fuck).

Sherdog loves to ride on emotion. Tony subs Lee last night and all of a sudden his BJJ is on par with Nate's? lol. Macro--->micro.
I had no idea he and Ryan Hall had a pure bjj match. When was this? Thanks for sharing btw

I don't know who'd have the grappling edge but I'd love this fight. I'd rather see it than either vs Conor honestly.

I had no idea he and Ryan Hall had a pure bjj match. When was this? Thanks for sharing btw

Edit: This was at a purple belt level, and 10 years ago...BUT speaks volumes of Nate's BJJ pedigree.

What makes you say Nayts chin is better? Because he ate Connie’s overrated lefts like snacks?

Nate got KTFO by Josh Thomson. Fergie has never been finished, not to mention he ABUSED Thomson.

Cool story bro

Yaired
Platbummed
Fergied.....its happening soon

Back