Columbus statue covered up in LA, Columbus Day removed and replaced by Indiginous Peoples Day

Should Columbus Day be removed and replaced with Indigenous Peoples Day?

• Total voters
Good. I'm not some PC whacko but Columbus was a garbage human being and a lazy explorer.

I believe having an "indigenous peoples" day is terrible. Its exactly the type of anti-immigrant rhetoric you'd expect in the Trump era. I hope you guys can join me in #resisting and celebrating immigration across all eras by defending Columbus day.

So what, specifically, would be celebrate on Indigenous Peoples' Day? A particular accomplishment? A set of accomplishments? Technological achievement? Fine cuisine? Impact on the world stage? Their history of slavery and human sacrifice? Their peaceful history of cooperation between the native groups in which acts of barbarism were absent until the Europeans showed up? Or simply that they were there?

I'm down for an Indigenous Peoples' Day. Now I'm just wondering - what, specifically, would we be celebrating about said peoples?

How about.... the tobacco you people love to smoke

You know all those rich famous beautiful people who like to do coke?who do you think discovered and showed the uses of the coca leaf to the white man?

cultivating many of the foods you like to eat like potatoes, tomatoes, chocolate,avacado, corn

pretty sure you've eaten a taco, right? thank natives for that

created canals,dams and aqueducts pre colombus

independently developed the use of 0 in mathematics, something white people couldnt do

had matrilineal cultures which gave women shared powers and equality while European wives were essentially chattel you could rape without fear of recourse.

oh and the Haudenasaunee Confederacy, served as a model for US constitution, which long existed as a democracy while white people were still living under tyrannical monarchs.

wow you are seriously ignorant and racist. You could just look this up on google instead of painting a whole people with such a broad brush and no knowledge of our accomplishments. Nice moralizing as if pederasty,slavery,genocide and torture weren't practiced by europeans at various points in their history. How many millions upon millions of their own people have Europeans killed in just the 20th century? Talk about throwing stones from a glass house. Its sad people like you could be so casually hateful and disdainful of an entire group of people that you know so little about, but then again this is sherdog. where racists roam free.

Last edited:
There was a guy who followed Columbus around some writer. Apparently, his stories of brutal acts of evil, like smashing babies off rocks when invading lands was common practice by Columbus.

Why does anyone want to celebrate a cunt like that?

Last edited:
I don't really care too much either way I just don't think it's fair some people have off for Columbus Day and I didn't this year.

So fuck Columbus Day.

If it was pure lunacy he wouldn't of had the kind of backing and participation that he did. These people weren't idiots. Seems like there is a need to hold the position he was a total idiot so I guess we can leave it at that.

Navigation is a big part of my life (love my sextant )and its development and history.

The Pinzón brothers and the discovery of AmericaEdit

Columbus and the Pinzón brothers arrive in America. Painting by Dióscoro Puebla (1862)
The participation of the Pinzón brothers was crucial to Columbus's first voyage, especially in that few were disposed to enlist with Columbus until Martín Alonso, a wealthy and famous shipbuilder in the Tinto-Odiel region, gave his support to the enterprise.[30] Once Martín Alonso gave his support, he undertook a veritable campaign on behalf of the undertaking. His support and that of his brothers and of other distinguished families of mariners in the region served to recruit the necessary crew: sailors from Palos, Huelva, and even from beyond Andalusia. The testimony in the pleitos colombinos indicates that the Pinzón brothers, above all Martín:

So he was a good salesman that he managed to convince non-scholars that his voyage was feasible, despite the fact that it wasnt.

No doubt for the first paragraph at all.

By the same token 99.99% of all cultures of the world were complete shit by todays standards and in less than 100 years the next gen of left wing visionaries will want you hung for bigotry. He lived 450 years ago in a different world with different standards, judge him by his accomplishments on yesterdays tech not todays ethics with todays tech

We judge him by the standards of the time, thats why he was jailed for his crimes back then.

We judge him by the standards of the time, thats why he was jailed for his crimes back then.

So when people are jailed falsely today and released due to the error being found you obviously demand that they're still guilty. After all false imprisonments never happen to this day do they?

as long as it's still a Federal Holiday (i.e. I don't work), who cares?

and shouldn't it be the Caribbean tribes truly complaining? Columbus wasn't battling it out w/ Geronimo, he didn't even contact those tribes none the less massacre Natives from modern day US territory....

So when people are jailed falsely today and released due to the error being found you obviously demand that they're still guilty. After all false imprisonments never happen to this day do they?

He wasnt released due to an error, but due to him being friends with the king.

these are likely the same cans that resulted in SDSU losing it's mascot, Monty Montezuma. He was 'culturally insensitive'......

A) to who? the many Aztecs living in present day San Diego?
B) so was Apocalypto, and it was still one of the most badass movies in the last twenty or so years

My HS near Seattle was named the Chiefs, had no mascot, and had to change our name after the Tulalip tribe complained....

about what, exactly?

Nobody complains about the apparent drunken, brawling leprechaun that represents Notre Dame.....

Last edited:
What a bunch of shitheads. Columbus Day is an American tradition and it's going to stay that way. If it's a culture war they want, I'm locked and loaded, figuratively and literally.

It's sad that I have to go out of my way to defend a character like Columbus but if it isn't him, it's the next thing on their neverending list.

He wasnt released due to an error, but due to him being friends with the king.

Perhaps the king was in procession of a more detailed account. 600 years is a long time ago and from what I understand he was acquitted and released by the legal standards of the time.

I'm being a bit of a devils advocate but I find it annoying that people will scream to the hill tops when it supports their view of the world than argue the opposite when it suits. To me he was found to be falsely imprisoned and released. We weren't there and don't know exactly what happened.

As for Columbus day I really have no investment either way. Was he a great man in terms of history ? yes but as seen through the eye of time great men/women are rarely good ones. Don't apply todays standards on yesterdays actions, one day it could be you.

Columbus wrote in his personal journals about raping young Native girls and roasting other Natives alive. While I always regarded him as an indefensible piece of shit, I have a college friend who ended up studying Columbus and teaches courses on him, and he enlightened me to just what an exceptional piece of shit Columbus was.

Yeah, color me shocked that reactionaries lovingly praise a pedophile torturer, if the alternative is having to yield to any change in society that is not to your comfort and/or benefit.

His personal journals that were written in Greek and Latin? you apparently missed that part, huh? You and I have talked about this exact subject before. You were going to "talk to your college friend and get back to me" You shockingly never did.

That's quite the post you have there. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on Columbus. However, a quick Google search and I found this.

Lost document reveals Columbus as tyrant of the Caribbean

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/aug/07/books.spain

He seems like a bad person to me. Not someone to be celebrated.

These are all things that he did to Spanish Colonists. What that article also leaves out is that that man stole corn from the Natives. These are, once again, things he was recalled to Spain, tried and exonerated for. The Crown sponsored another expedition after this trial. He probably was not the nicest of men. The world he lived in was much harsher than the world we lived in. On top of that, you have to remember who these reports are coming from. They're coming from Batolome De Las Casas, a man who was Columbus' main political opponent (unbeknownst to Columbus) and the author of the "secret diary" which can be nothing other than fake. De Las was a priest. When the church wanted to jack your shit back in the day, this was how the did it.

They're just going to accuse her of being a communist puppet under control of the Soviet Union. The conversation is stuck in the mud, only thing we can do is start flinging it at eachother and hope we dig ourselves out at some point.

This mud fling post that contributes nothing is especially ironic and hilarious, considering that you've long since left the thread and closed your ears to any sort of real history that you don't want to hear.

Thats not really what baffles me.

What baffles me is the accusation of Colon being stripped of all the riches of the new colonies, when by all accounts they were poor as hell.

Malnourushed slaves and some nugget of gold were all that Columbus ever managed to extract thats why he left his brothers in charge and was obsessed with reaching India and the lucrative spices there.

Meanwhile the Portuguese were making money hand over fist by trading with Africans and opening more and more ports in their race towards the spice islands.

You don't seem to understand, Rod. His landing in Central America, by the agreement of the Capitulations of Santa Fe entitled Columbus and his heirs to 1/10 of all the profits to come out of what would eventually become New Spain. As in all of the New World. They weren't just talking about Haiti. Yes, I'm aware that he did not get to Central America until his third or fourth voyage, but that was how that agreement worked. He found a massive and wealthy land. He wasn't just entitled to wealth from just the land he was standing on, but to that land and all land that it touched. We're talking billions and billions of dollars. You can bet your behind that people would be looking to screw him out of that. You'd have to be monsterously naive to not think that.

Back