Does the entire US navy have a morale problem?

No. You also get killed and get to come home with limbs missing. Yeah, you do get the adrenaline rush...

Ok, how does a ship in the U.S. Navy, the most advanced Navy in the world run out of food? Who the fuck is doing the food planning? A chimpanzee can do that job better. Make him/her wait in the rear of the line or go without food. Does the U.S. Navy still have that stupid tradition of having officers being served first? In the U.S. Army, officers get served last. Enlisted men/women will always eat before the officers.

In the navy they have a seperate wardroom, so thry dont eat with the enlisted at all.

I drank alot, and got divorced like everyone else.

I actually recall having to tell a fireman (e3) that was a normal thought to have and no one cared when i was close to terminal. Good times.

I worked and trained in the bush for a while as an anti-poaching ranger, and the experience (drinking and divorce) sounds like what I saw a lot of from the older guys that had been on the job for a while. I know that, bureaucratically especially, it is not the same as US military service, but seeing the outcomes of that lifestyle is what chased me out of it.
It's great and dandy to say "look how hard I am" but it comes at a ridiculous price.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. Sated my curiosity.

I'm a Marine but I was on a ship for 7 months right after 9/11 happened... ship life for the Navy was pretty miserable. I was with Tanks and we couldn't move the tanks or do anything down there in the well-deck, so we basically just hit the gym and slept a lot. The Navy personnel though it was a totally different ball game... 12 hour work days, TONS of monotonous busy work, sweeping sweeping sweeping, and I really actually felt bad for them. The toilets in the head (bathroom) would overflow CONSTANTLY and the Navy guys had to go in there with hoses and sort out an entire room of floating piss and shit. Our ship was old (LSD-41) and the broilers kept dying so we were on "water hours" for damned near half the entire time. Meaning the water, showers included, would turn on every hour for 5 minutes and then be cut off. Naked dudes stacked up waiting to stuff themselves into a few shower stalls trying to get a shower... just shitty. Working parties when we did finally get to port (only got 2 over 7 months... Turkey and Croatia) were constant, as well as duty, and those poor fuckers were just worked to death.

Marine life can be a hassle and a pain, but being cooped up on a ship like that for long periods of time is brutal. We were all happy as pigs in shit to FINALLY get off that boat after a very long 7 months.

Ok, how does a ship in the U.S. Navy, the most advanced Navy in the world run out of food? Who the fuck is doing the food planning? A chimpanzee can do that job better. Make him/her wait in the rear of the line or go without food. Does the U.S. Navy still have that stupid tradition of having officers being served first? In the U.S. Army, officers get served last. Enlisted men/women will always eat before the officers.

It's a ship so no matter how you slice it you can't take on enough supplies for the entire trip. So you'll need to routinely stop at ports for re-supply, but often ports aren't open / working / accessible, water is too rough, political tensions change during the trip, etc. There are a million reasons why re-supply doesn't always happen on time, and when that happens people will need to ration. It's not a big deal as the military isn't a bunch of snowflakes.. they can miss a few meals without pretending like they're going to die. During OIF I (2003) we were down to 1 MRE per day for most of March and a small part of April. That's the kind of shit that happens in the real world when you're expeditionary.

When deployed that's fine. Living on the ship sucks. E5 was when you got housing in Japan. We had people sleeping in the park to get away from the ship.

Sure we would sleep in the car sometimes just to get away if we couldn't afford a hotel.

If you are home ported in Japan I'm sure it's more expensive then state side. You have to get some buddies to get a place together.

Being stuck on a ship isn't for everybody. I guarantee many of them would rather be 'grunts'. I also guarantee many 'grunts' would be bitching and moaning being stuck on a ship dealing with that garbage.
Yeah, it's just a different kind of shitty. It comes down to preferences. For me, I like being on the ground, carrying all my shit for the next 2 weeks on my back. I can live with that, the rain, and all the other stuff that comes along with being in the army. I'd go fucking stir-crazy on a ship after 2 weeks, even though I had a few extra creature comforts. I'm sure there are Sailors who love being out at sea, dealing with all the bullshit that I couldn't stand. But if they had to carry a ruck, dig a foxhole, or do the things that I had to do, they'd cry themselves to sleep. People are different, and none of it adds inches to your dick, so play your hand, suffer in silence, and just be cool about it.

didn't they join the navy so they dont have to get shot at?

When deployed that's fine. Living on the ship sucks. E5 was when you got housing in Japan. We had people sleeping in the park to get away from the ship.
The parks are clean there, no big deal

In the navy they have a seperate wardroom, so thry dont eat with the enlisted at all.
I worked the weird room when I was going my valley rotation. We had soft serve ice cream in our cafe. They got 3 gallon drums of ice cream. That was fine when they were getting vanilla chocolate and strawberry. Then they started getting rocky road and pistachio. Five flavors to our one. Shit was on then. I ate all the pistachio every time they got it. Sure I gained like ten pounds in one deployment. But that's the price

didn't they join the navy so they dont have to get shot at?
Yeah. We don't go in the field. We don't get that lowest end of it but we don't get any of the good parts either. It's just a constant suck.

Sure we would sleep in the car sometimes just to get away if we couldn't afford a hotel.

If you are home ported in Japan I'm sure it's more expensive then state side. You have to get some buddies to get a place together.
It's 1500 a month, in 2000, for a place. We made about that much. So to get a 2 bed was about 2000. Between two of you that's still out of reach realistically. So then you go to a house. You can squeeze four of you into a 3 bed house. That leaves you a few hundred bucks a month to spare. It's doable but very tight and no room for hiccups.

Hotel room is 300 a night. Not a realistic solution. 600 a weekend or 2400 a month. The navy hotels had 300 rooms total for 10000 sailors. Had to book months in advance.

You were basically homeless. If you met a girl you're going to her place. For that reason I only dated other nonmilotaty foreigners. Fortunately I'm a good looking guy who lifts weights. I did not have trouble shacking up. Other guys were far less fortunate.

It's a ship so no matter how you slice it you can't take on enough supplies for the entire trip. So you'll need to routinely stop at ports for re-supply, but often ports aren't open / working / accessible, water is too rough, political tensions change during the trip, etc. During OIF I (2003) we were down to 1 MRE per day for most of March and a small part of April. That's the kind of shit that happens in the real world when you're expeditionary.

I did not know that. That is truly amazing. Not even soldiers in the field run out of MREs. Helicopters can always make a rations drop. I take it your submarines are in the same situation. Maybe throwing a few fishing lines overboard may help the situation. Plenty of fish on the sea...

or is it just one ship? Crew members aboard the USS Shiloh describe the conditions as like being aboard "a floating prison". Sailors put in the brig and fed only bread and water. I don't know if the people who join the military expect a cruise ship atmosphere or if the conditions are worse than necessary. With two destroyers also in the Seventh Fleet having collided with cargo ships it undermines confidence in the Navy at a time when they may be most needed to counter North Korea.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/11/politics/morale-problems-us-navy-shiloh/index.html

Obviously the had poor leadership and that guy has been removed

They'll get Shit on a Shingle and Like it!

IMG-2026.jpg

I worked the weird room when I was going my valley rotation. We had soft serve ice cream in our cafe. They got 3 gallon drums of ice cream. That was fine when they were getting vanilla chocolate and strawberry. Then they started getting rocky road and pistachio. Five flavors to our one. Shit was on then. I ate all the pistachio every time they got it. Sure I gained like ten pounds in one deployment. But that's the price

Guessing you were on a carrier. That was officers only on a dmall deck.

God damn, i remember trying to decide between army or navy. I'm glad I went army.

That shit sounds horrible.

I did not know that. That is truly amazing. Not even soldiers in the field run out of MREs. Helicopters can always make a rations drop. I take it your submarines are in the same situation. Maybe throwing a few fishing lines overboard may help the situation. Plenty of fish on the sea...
We've run out of certain supplies in Afghanistan. We were resupplied every week or so at our little outpost, and the only way to access it was by helicopter. There were no roads. We had some bad storms roll through that make getting a helicopter in impossible, so we ran out of certain items until the weather improved. The field is very different than a real warzone.

I was in the Navy. The only time I set foot on a ship was during a short Tiger cruise from Guam to Saipan on a USNS ship which is primarily civilian crew. Beyond that my 9 years was spent on land. I deployed to Hotels, some of which were 5 star. When you get to meet beautiful women in Bolivia or Cartagena life is pretty good.

I'm sure shipboard life sucks although I didn't experience it. If it's a 4 year enlistment then deal with it. It's not eternity. People who constantly bitch will bitch about anything and the ones who do it in the Navy probably have a rate that is shipboard. No shit, it sucks being an E-3 Boatswain's mate or Boiler Tech on a dirty, aging ship. I worked 12 on / off schedule for months in an old 50's era building where it was 106 degrees inside. No A/C, just dirty fans in windows that either didn't work or kicked up the dust and mouse debris. It sucked but was part of the mission and it got done. The job may suck but rarely do you see 19 year olds in civilian life who can buy new street bikes, or own an actual Nissan R33 or R34 while taking paid-for college classes and banging hot chicks. Shit, being legally able to drink overseas at age 18 and hooking up with hot Australian chicks was worth every second I spent on a shitty work detail.

Back