Is "Thug" a Racist Word?

Is "Thug" a racist word?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
remember thuggish ruggish bone by bone thugz n harmony? that celebrates that theyre not just rappers, but thugs. what happened to that definition?

and even if i agreed with you, what word has less of a racial connotation? ghetto? hoodrat? "looks like he owns a pitbull"?
really, those were the *best* non-racially charged words you could come up with?

Why is their own black aunt associating the word thug with the N word? Seems like she needs to analyze that a little.

If you don't want to be called a thug, don't act like a thug. It's sad how little your everyday person uses simple logic.

I am being honest. I'm 40 and that word was used precisely as I stated well before the hip hop culture started embracing it.
I'm Canadian and we also use it to describe goons in hockey.
I’m from Minnesota, and hockey is the first place my mind goes when I hear thug as well.

Thug has become a replacement for the N word for some people. The racists who are too afraid to let it out 100%.

giphy.gif

Only to racists.
Or to those who use it to refer minorities 90% of the time.

Poll needs a third option, “Sometimes.”

Which is the correct answer.

Last edited:
No, unless it's used as a preamble to describe someone who did not commit thuggery. For example: "local thug, James Blackman received Valedictorian horners on top of several scholarship offers for combination of stellar grades and exemplary volunteering services" -- that would be a racist usage.

However, I've only seen it used it in the media when to describe people who committed ruffian acts -- and usually only when they are quoting someone who described what was going on.

Also, Obama (as well a multitude of other prominent black members of public office) used it:

But I've read articles suggesting it's ok when black people use it, not when white people do. That lexicon privilege tho...

What the hell is happening to this country? Everybody a sensitive bitch these days.

What the hell is happening to this country? Everybody a sensitive bitch these days.

Why does anyone care what the family of violent criminals think? They should be ashamed to be alive right now. Not playing victim to some invented social injustice.

it means that to you. as with most words, many people use it in different ways. at least where im from, it seems the word is used for a very specific type of person. i dont hear white people called thugs around here, even if theyre criminals or troublemakers. theyre called some other derogatory term, but not thugs.

and if people in the thread were really being honest with themselves, id bet your experiences with the word are similar to mine.

The word "thug" to me meant a huge white guy with a leather jacket and greasy slicked back hair who would beat people up for the mob.

That's the way I always heard it used....a large, brutish person basically, the racial connotation was definitely white.

Back