Congress warned: NKorea EMP would kill '90% of Americans'...

I ride around in a Faraday cage that's mounted on a Segway.

Sorry, man. If something like that happens, I'll just have to end up as one of the extras in a Roland Emmerich film.
lmao

As far as untapped natural resources, probably. But in terms of operational resources, enterprise, and food supply, we're definitely top. Arguably, the best country to be in, in such a scenario, might be China just because they have comparable agricultural production and government control over the supply to control the market and prevent malfeasance. But they're extremely export-oriented, so I don't know how much of that is on-hand at any given period.
I think China would be terrible because they have too many people and a similar amount of resources. I think in a war situation the US would control the market too.

For everyone shitting on the 90% number, that is worst case scenario, and it isn't absurd.

You guys don't get it. Vehicles won't work either. Nothing with electronics in it will work.

5 years later America would most likely still be in blackout in the vast majority of the country.

That is because it is.

JUDI DENCH: (As M) Set off a nuclear device in the upper atmosphere, creates a pulse, a radiation surge that destroys everything with an electronic circuit.

BRUMFIEL: That's from the James Bond film "GoldenEye." There is something Bond-like about a bomb that would create a power surge and fry all our modern gadgets. So I Skyped Jeffrey Lewis, a nuclear weapons expert at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies and asked him, could North Korea really do this?

JEFFREY LEWIS: (Laughter).

BRUMFIEL: Take that as a no.

Well, he would finally be able to keep up.

EMP weapons without a nuke blast are theoretical. I wouldn't be surprised to find out US/China/Russia/Europe had them. I would be highly surprised if NK did.

As far as untapped natural resources, probably. But in terms of operational resources, enterprise, and food supply, we're definitely top. Arguably, the best country to be in, in such a scenario, might be China just because they have comparable agricultural production and government control over the supply to control the market and prevent malfeasance. But they're extremely export-oriented, so I don't know how much of that is on-hand at any given period.
China has such bad food shortages they make resin eggs to feed people, resin eggs....

That'd suck.
If the US gets hit by an EMP, what'll I do for entertainment?

Would have to start watching GoT or something, if I lose American politics.
I guess other countries would probably send camera drones in, and I'd get to see what post-society America looks like.

No electricity means no food, no water, no communication, no transportation, means many will die.

Is Puerto Rico getting horse drawn wagons to distribute bottled water? Are they using hand pumped reverse osmosis filters to get purified drinking water?

I remember the last time we had a bad storm and lost power for several days. The entire neighborhood started killing and eating each other within hours.
Good thing the neighborhood had several days' worth of food.

The hurricane emergency kit lists now say 14 days of supplies and I ain't arguing about that especially after seeing Puerto Rico. I made a point to stockpile food and water.

Fallout scenario? If that did happen, you think the USA will let China/Russia get ahead? Or would we EMP/Nuke the whole world to make it fair?

Sounds like WMD 2.0 bullshit to me tho.

Staff Online:

@HereticBD: Mod, Administrator, Owner, God.

Reminds me of a danish comedian who did a skit on a guy with multiple personality disorder being the entire team on a season of survivor :)

I think I am going to vote myself of the island because I never do anything and I eat all the food. But it might be a bit hard now that I have become a couple.

You dont need EMPs. You could do it with a dozen guys driving trucks into them.

I have heard it would be pretty devistating on the economy if the stock markets were hit by an EMP. Might cause a similar affect to a stock market crash, would be worse for America than no power for a few days/weeks.

For everyone shitting on the 90% number, that is worst case scenario, and it isn't absurd.

You guys don't get it. Vehicles won't work either. Nothing with electronics in it will work.

5 years later America would most likely still be in blackout in the vast majority of the country.

That's not even close to true.

All you have to look at is how people react after a relatively small natural disaster in comparison to a nuke with an emp such as hurricane.

You immediately see looting and people go nuts until relief gets in there to help. Now put that situation on a nation wide scale but with no help in site, cause- if i had to guess were at war. And i could only imagine the countries that have been chomping at the bit to attack us might take advantage of this huge vulnerability.

Hopefully though it never happens. 75 years ago country was mostly independent... Could heat their house on their own, hunt, and survive? Now? Noway. Maybe 5-10% could survive independently on their own

"My colleagues, every statement I make today is backed up by sources, solid sources. These are not assertions. What we're giving you are facts and conclusions based on solid intelligence"
- Colin Powell, 2003

here we go again...

"My colleagues, every statement I make today is backed up by sources, solid sources. These are not assertions. What we're giving you are facts and conclusions based on solid intelligence"
- Colin Powell, 2003

here we go again...
Fucking Powell also covered up the My Lai massacre the piece of shit secured his career on the back of slaughtered women and children.

Someone badly misunderstands what an electromagnetic pulse is and what it can do to what things and why

Fear mongering bullshit because the threat of NK getting one nuke and maybe being able to reach the US any time soon isn't spooking enough folks to support any military intervention of NK and accept millions killed in the KP as a result. So now it's "Kim Jong Un can kill 270 MILLION people!!1!1!" so if a few million Koreans on both sides die, it's still way better than 270 million...

If it was a real threat and only cost 20 billion to protect against it would have been done years ago. $20B is 3% of the yearly Defense Budget. And what's the point of that spending on offensive weaponry if an EMP can kill 90% of Americans for crissakes.

This is utter BULLSHIT.

An emp strike would also, interestingly, kill 90% of Koreans, regardless of how success, since it wouldn't disable the American nuclear second strike capability.

A lot of uninformed people ITT.

Cars would work? Still pump gas? Still have generators?

Research it Sherbros. It's a lot scarier than you think.

If an isolated area like parts of Florida go down, aide can be sent in immediately. If the entire grid went down, no one is coming to help. Generators run out of gas, gas can't be pumped after the gas that's in the generators runs out. You think truckers are going to keep working after they realize the powers not coming back on? Hospitals generators go out after just a few days -- same for military bases.

Food markets lose all perishable items in a matter of days, what will be left after the rioting anyway.

Water stops flowing. Do you know how to boil water without a stove? Think you'll band together with your neighborhood? What happens when your neighbor sees you have more food than he does for his kids? Think he'll just say, "oh well"?

A grid down scenario is the WORST case scenario for the US.

Back