Does the entire US navy have a morale problem?

I was in the Navy. The only time I set foot on a ship was during a short Tiger cruise from Guam to Saipan on a USNS ship which is primarily civilian crew. Beyond that my 9 years was spent on land. I deployed to Hotels, some of which were 5 star. When you get to meet beautiful women in Bolivia or Cartagena life is pretty good.

I'm sure shipboard life sucks although I didn't experience it. If it's a 4 year enlistment then deal with it. It's not eternity. People who constantly bitch will bitch about anything and the ones who do it in the Navy probably have a rate that is shipboard. No shit, it sucks being an E-3 Boatswain's mate or Boiler Tech on a dirty, aging ship. I worked 12 on / off schedule for months in an bl that either didn't work or kicked up the dust and mouse debris. It sucked but was part of the mission and it got done. The job may suck but rarely do you see 19 year olds in civilian life who can buy new street bikes, or own an actual Nissan R33 or R34 while taking paid-for college classes and banging hot chicks. Shit, being legally able to drink overseas at age 18 and hooking up with hot Australian chicks was worth every second I spent on a shitty work detail.
That's not what happened for me. I went to Korea. A lot. And Okinawa where we weren't even allowed off the ship. Then the gulf. We went to Australia! But I was Darwin and bunburry. Ducking garbage Neither had so much as a mcdonalds. We did go to Hong Kong. Saipan and Guam were cool islands. We didn't have the internet so no classes. It just sucked at all times. It was never as bad as being in the field like the marines but it was was never as good as when they weren't in the field. It wasn't tha it was the worst, it's hat it was never good

I don't think 12 hour shifts are good anywhere. One part of a processing facility where I worked did that and there seemed to be a lot of problems during the last hours of each shift. Hospitals do 12 hour shifts with nurses too where mistakes could be critical. Truck drivers are only allowed to drive 11 hours a day and must take a 30 minute break during the first 8 hours of a shift. They did this because fatigue was found to be the cause of a majority of collisions. Maybe the Navy's recent collisions are caused by fatigue. Of course it doesn't do any good to have time off if they have nothing to do during that time. It also requires more berthing space to work 8 hour or 10 hour shifts as off duty times overlap.

Former CTI (Chinese linguist) here,
Did six years in the navy, 1.5 in Monterey, Ca. and 4.5 in Oahu (shore duty). My dad was a Nuclear officer so my only "sea-time" was on a Tiger Cruise (USS Eisenhower) when I was 6 years old.
Only time I set foot on a ship while active was when visiting my buddy who pulled into port at Pearl Harbor; he told me how to properly board and exit the ship before we met up.
Ship and sub life sounds miserable. Happy to have received my honorable discharge and am currently working on my Masters degree.

That's not what happened for me. I went to Korea. A lot. And Okinawa where we weren't even allowed off the ship. Then the gulf. We went to Australia! But I was Darwin and bunburry. Ducking garbage Neither had so much as a mcdonalds. We did go to Hong Kong. Saipan and Guam were cool islands. We didn't have the internet so no classes. It just sucked at all times. It was never as bad as being in the field like the marines but it was was never as good as when they weren't in the field. It wasn't tha it was the worst, it's hat it was never good

Yeah, that sounds like it sucks. No two people in the Navy live the same life or see the same duty even if they are twins in the same command within the same rate. It's weird. Just being in different Duty Sections could have big impact on your life and level of morale. I always wondered how some people have to eat shit every day and someone with the same rate can get a cushy job working with mine detecting dolphins or some other bullshit. You still got the GI Bill or such I hope.

From most accounts it's not the most exciting job. But it's necessary and everyone who serves should be applauded.

Yeah, that sounds like it sucks. No two people in the Navy live the same life or see the same duty even if they are twins in the same command within the same rate. It's weird. Just being in different Duty Sections could have big impact on your life and level of morale. I always wondered how some people have to eat shit every day and someone with the same rate can get a cushy job working with mine detecting dolphins or some other bullshit. You still got the GI Bill or such I hope.
If I had got the dolphins thing I'd have stayed in until I died

In Coast Guard, do you have to live on the base, or do you get to live off, and is the job like being a patrol officer with much less people to deal with because you are at sea?

Depends on the unit, your rate and your paygrade. Some places have unaccompanied housing (barracks) for e-3 and below, some lease apartments or houses for e-4 and below. Some have limited housing that you are required to live in if you have a family and there's open units. Some you get a housing allowance and you find your own place.

As for dealing with the public, again it boils down to unit and rate. An E5 BM or MK at a small boat station will be on patrol racking up boardings every weekend, while an E6 YN or SK at a base doesn't leave their desk....unless it's to take a long lunch or sneak out early....

I don't think 12 hour shifts are good anywhere. One part of a processing facility where I worked did that and there seemed to be a lot of problems during the last hours of each shift. Hospitals do 12 hour shifts with nurses too where mistakes could be critical. Truck drivers are only allowed to drive 11 hours a day and must take a 30 minute break during the first 8 hours of a shift. They did this because fatigue was found to be the cause of a majority of collisions. Maybe the Navy's recent collisions are caused by fatigue. Of course it doesn't do any good to have time off if they have nothing to do during that time. It also requires more berthing space to work 8 hour or 10 hour shifts as off duty times overlap.

12 hour shifts arent that bad, i do that now, the 6pm to 6am.

The navy doesnt do 12 hour shifts though.the 5 and dime is very common.

Day1 Day2 Day3
2200–0200
Team 1 Team 3 Team 2
0200–0700 Team 2 Team 1 Team 3
0700–1200 Team 3 Team 2 Team 1
1200–1700 Team 1 Team 3 Team 2
1700–2200 Team 2 Team 1 Team 3

The important part for the suck and massive sleep deprivation, is that this doesnt affect your actual job in any way, no relation whatsoever. If you have maintenence, you do maintenance before and after your watch. You have the 2-7? You will be working all day, and then also have the 17-22. You will be tired, and you will make mistakes.

This also excludes things like working out, or doing literally anything else. Fun.

So it seems to be a problem throughout the Navy. I assumed they would improve living conditions on the newer ships. They shouldn't need as large of crews as in the past with more automation. Maybe they need to pay servicemen better. They talk about respecting the military when it comes to standing up for the national anthem but treat them like shit while they are in service and provide shitty medical care after they are out.

this is part of the navy ethos. in the air force, morale and quality of life are high on their priority, and it shows. they have the best facilities, eat the best, and have the best living conditions. whereas in the navy, morale and quality of life is on the bottom of their list. when i was stationed in iceland, the air force guys were getting a substandard housing allowance because they had to live in navy barracks that were not up to air force specifications. while i was forced to have a room mate, my air force counter part lived in an equivalent room but had it for himself.... yet a substandard allowance for it.

the navy has some serious issues; they are basically spread thin budget wise and getting worked to death. they barely have enough money to properly maintain the ships that they have, all the more they cant take care of their own people. when i was in the navy, there were times on deployment where they served liver. LIVER!!! who dafuq outside of the third world eats liver? and to expect half the crew to eat it? basically the crew that got into chow early got to eat regular food, the other half had to eat liver or starve.

Day1 Day2 Day3
2200–0200
Team 1 Team 3 Team 2

The important part for the suck and massive sleep deprivation, is that this doesnt affect your actual job in any way, no relation whatsoever. If you have maintenence, you do maintenance before and after your watch. You have the 2-7? You will be working all day, and then also have the 17-22. You will be tired, and you will make mistakes.

This also excludes things like working out, or doing literally anything else. Fun.

depends your job. when i was overseas at a NCTS, i worked 12 hour shifts, 2 days on, 2 off, switch to night shift and went 2 on, then 3 days off. you are correct about your job and watch. if your lucky enough to get some rack time, hope to god you dont get a fire drill.

They'll get Shit on a Shingle and Like it!

IMG-2026.jpg

No kidding, my grandfather told me how he first tried SOS in 1953 in Korea as a Marine. Heard a guy walking out of the mess tent grubling "aw shit on a shingle, shit on a shingle!" Years later, my grandmother is working at a diner, and the owner asks my grandfather if he'd like anything added to the menu. That man got SOS added to a diner menu.

Day1 Day2 Day3
2200–0200
Team 1 Team 3 Team 2

Like I said. Never terrible just never good

Remember we crossed a timeline to get set back an hour. Did it at noon. For a week. The other way at midnight. Extend work an hour and cut sleep an hour. Why? Because fuck em thats why

That actually looks good. Is that ground meat with mushroom gravy?

Shit on a Shingle made with creamed, chipped beef is a classic American military dish.

This recipe makes enough for one person for lunch or a light supper; you can easily multiply this recipe as needed.

We've tried to make it just a bit healthier than normal by lightening up the white sauce.

Number of servings: 1

Estimated Prep Time: 10 minutes

Estimated Cooking Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients
10 slices Chipped Beef (about 50 g / 2 oz)
2 teaspoons Butter
2 teaspoons Flour
1/3 cup Milk (skim)
Ground Pepper
2 slices Bread

Directions
Chop up the chipped beef roughly, set aside.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat along with a few dashes of ground pepper (optional: a dash of ground nutmeg, a pinch of onion powder or a tablespoon of minced onion, a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, a squirt of mustard.) Don't let the butter brown. As soon as it's just all melted, add the flour, and whisk it in. Let cook for a minute, then whisk in half the milk. As soon as it's absorbed, whisk in the remainder of the milk, then stir in the chipped beef, and set the heat to low.

Pop the bread in the toaster. When it's toasted, arrange the two slices of toast and spoon the beef mixture on top of both.

Serve piping hot.

If you're serving for lunch or dinner, add some side veg for a complete meal.

Recipe notes
You can use white or brown bread.

Back