General Gaming Discussion, v4: Summer Abyss

Recently picked up Beyond Two Souls for my PS3 excited to try it, didn't have a PS3 at the time it released.

Also pumped to pick up Resident Evil Revelations on Xbox One on the 29th I'll then own all the RE games on disc for X1. Really liked 2, got about a 3rd through the fist one on 360 but never got around to beating it.
146437b.jpg

Must be good if the game that started on a handheld got this many ports haha

Had a survival horror itch, and picked up "The Evil Within" on the sale going on right now.

Only finished the first chapter, and it was pretty intense. Love the atmosphere. Didn't much love the "letterbox" default setting though, which I thought was retarded. This is a game. I don't want my view cut off. I thought maybe it was just a cinematic view, that didn't simply cut the screen off with black bars, but no, it just cuts the screen off. Why would anyone like that? It was so cheaply implemented. Turned it off like five seconds into the game. Dumb.

Can't say much more than that, as I haven't really dove into it, but apart from the lame black bars that do nothing, it's fun so far.

I replayed Dragon Age: Inquisition because I never played the Trespasser DLC. I don't typically bother with DLC, and I'm torn as to whether or not I'm happy about having done so here. On the one hand, I think it was pretty good, and that counts for a lot. On the other hand, it really should have been part of the main game. I certainly wouldn't argue that DAI was light on content, but I'm just not comfortable having to pay extra for a properly concluded story in an RPG.

I understand that modern development costs are preposterous, but I'd prefer leaner games that tell a complete tale while perhaps setting aside a lot of the completionist content that crops up in games lately as DLC. Bioware could have nixed three or maybe even 4 of the zones in that game, and I wouldn't have minded so long as the main plot line felt complete.

Here's an odd story:

Megaton Rainfall:

This was originally shown years ago then went dead silent. My understanding is that one guy developed it for the past couple years but then Sony supported it so he got, maybe, a couple other team members. Not really sure how many people are working on it atm.

Anyway, it makes an appearance in August, with that awesome trailer above. Release date announced, PS4 timed exclusivity announced. And then again, back to complete silence. In August it was announced it would release September 26. I thought that was odd because there's very little info on the game and no price or anything. I was skeptical.

About two weeks ago, I still notice no info is releasing. Then on September 20, he's on Twitter with "news coming soon. Stay tuned!"

Ok, cool. Game must be finished and he's going to announce price and confirm release. But he stays silent for the next 6 days.

On release day, he announces a delay.

I have Mondays off so all day I'm checking twitter to see if he actually says anything but he doesn't. Instead waits until the day of release to announce a 3 week delay. I realize it's a small team but damn, put out a simple tweet to let people know. He botched it. I've never seen a game delayed on release day.

PC version was scheduled for release late October, so I imagine the PS4 release affects the PC release.

I'm really curious about this game. It looks incredibly interesting, but I've been skeptical about it since first seeing it 2 years ago. When small teams have huge ambition, things usually go awry. This horrendous incident of telling people to stay tuned and then not saying anything only amplifies my concerns. Bit of a bummer, really.

Anyone here into the Ghosts n Goblins series? I have played the original but not the others.

Is anyone else planning on picking up ELEX? It's coming out the same day as the new South Park game and with Destiny 2 coming out soon I may wait on this one.

Is anyone else planning on picking up ELEX? It's coming out the same day as the new South Park game and with Destiny 2 coming out soon I may wait on this one.

it probably will suck

The Evil Within 2 is a amazing game.

Just finished my first playthrough

Better in every way to the original

Highly recommended

Looks like DoWIII is having a free weekend on Steam. I really enjoyed DoW 1 and 2 and I hadn't gotten a chance to play 3 yet so I gave it a shot...and hated it. The neon graphics, the absurd animations, the mediocre gameplay. I generally like RTS games, but I'm not particularly good at them, and the more micromanagement required the worse I am (I just don't have the click+type, speed+precision). And DoW3 is pure micro: hero units have multiple abilities, many infantry units also have special abilities, and the placement of individual units is crucial. It's like trying to play a MOBA where you need to control every character on your team at the same time, only there's twelve of them. Reinforcement is also an important mechanic, but it is only possible at your base and there's no quick and easy way to get units there; you need to monitor a half dozen or more health bars, select them when they get low, move them manually to a specific point on the map, wait for them to arrive, and then click reinforce (all while juggling other operations). Oh, how I longed for DoW2's retreat and auto-reinforce where those things could be achieved in a single button press. You don't even need to give them the speed and armor boost from DoW2, just don't make me jump through a half-dozen hoops to accomplish a core game mechanic.

Overall I am super disappointed. I've got more than 400hrs logged on steam between the various DoW1+2 expansions, but won't even bother buying this one.

@GhostZ06

Looks like DoWIII is having a free weekend on Steam. I really enjoyed DoW 1 and 2 and I hadn't gotten a chance to play 3 yet so I gave it a shot...and hated it. The neon graphics, the absurd animations, the mediocre gameplay. I generally like RTS games, but I'm not particularly good at them, and the more micromanagement required the worse I am (I just don't have the click+type, speed+precision). And DoW3 is pure micro: hero units have multiple abilities, many infantry units also have special abilities, and the placement of individual units is crucial. It's like trying to play a MOBA where you need to control every character on your team at the same time, only there's twelve of them. Reinforcement is also an important mechanic, but it is only possible at your base and there's no quick and easy way to get units there; you need to monitor a half dozen or more health bars, select them when they get low, move them manually to a specific point on the map, wait for them to arrive, and then click reinforce (all while juggling other operations). Oh, how I longed for DoW2's retreat and auto-reinforce where those things could be achieved in a single button press. You don't even need to give them the speed and armor boost from DoW2, just don't make me jump through a half-dozen hoops to accomplish a core game mechanic.

Overall I am super disappointed. I've got more than 400hrs logged on steam between the various DoW1+2 expansions, but won't even bother buying this one.

@GhostZ06

so you were just as triggered as i was

I thought, "Surely it can't be as bad as I've been hearing...can it?" Yeah, it totally is.

@Chubz and i played co-op and it and we couldn't play it. i basically got so angry and left.

way to hero focused (the heros did look amazing) but im sorry the marines running around like they have diarrhea

@Chubz and i played co-op and it and we couldn't play it. i basically got so angry and left.

way to hero focused (the heros did look amazing) but im sorry the marines running around like they have diarrhea

Oh god yeah, horrible fucking game. Never touching it again. Even if they made it F2P I wouldn't waste my time or bandwidth.

Okay been busy lately but wanted to update some things I’m playing or have beaten

I upgraded to the Xbox one X. Brilliant system imo. Even though I play on a 1080p tv the benefits are day and night

DOOM doesn’t even have a patch yet, but playing it on the x it gets full 1080p all the time and a locked 60 FPS

Big upgrade over what it looked like on my S

Diablo 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Halo 5 also are vastly improved and I’m loving the improved stability and full 1080p no more 900p bs. Titanfall 2 might be the biggest upgrade as it dipped well below 720p on base Xbox one s, but now is full 1080p/60 (its near 4K if you have the screen for it)

I’m looking at getting a 4K hdr monitor I found one with really good reviews that works good with the X

I also picked up a Wii

Man I’m loving playing this

Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy 2, 007, also playing some GameCube games on my Wii.

Recently picked up Redout on for my 1X looks pretty fun tbh

And since they price finally came down, I got a 32gb Wiiu with Breathe of the Wild and a few others

Playing it right now, looks great even on the Wiiu, frame rate could be better though.

Wanted to pick up Mk8 but didn’t see it

Back