Routinely inconsistent

Well, after a little stretch of varying shift time starts and overtime shifts, I finally found time for the gym. Fuck did that break fuck me up though. Normally squats are killer, but today I thought I was legitimately going to die.

I was going to do working sets at 225lbs, but once I got to 205lbs I felt very weak/shaky after and didn't think it was a good idea to move up in weight. Next time.

5 minute warm up on the bike.

Bench
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 3 x 5

Squat
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 5
205lbs 3 x 5

Good little work out today to help get back into the swing of things. Nothing to complain about (except lack of sleep, as always).

Front squats
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 3 x 5

Military press
45lbs x 5
105lbs x 3 x 5

Deadlift
135lbs x 5
225lbs x 5
275lbs x 5

Hiked today, down to the niagara whirpool to do some fishing after work. Going down wasn't so bad, but later on going up with all my fishing gear was brutal. Stairs going straight up for a few minutes definitely burned the quads that were already sore.

Fun way to get a little more exercise in though!

I wanted to go to the gym in the AM before work, but due to a lowsy night's sleep, I got maybe 5 hours and managed to sleep through my alarms. But I sacked up and went to the gym after a 12 hour shift. Tired as fuck but still got some squats in before calling it a night.

Surprisingly it went very well. My hips felt nice and loose, probably from a full day of walking/moving around instead of squatting right after waking up.

All I want is a respectable squat dammit.

Squat
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 5
215lbs x 3 x 5

Now to sleep for another 5 hours (if I'm lucky) before going to hockey in the morning and then switching over to working overnight for 3 days starting tomorrow. FML.

Went to pick up hockey this morning, not a soul on the ice. It was good though, I got to work on my crossovers/edges and my wrist shot. So all in all a productive day, and I also sweat my fucking balls off.

Pick up hockey today. 4 on 4, full length, 1 sub per team. My cardio is terrible. And my legs are about to fall off. All in all a good session though!

Pick up hockey again yesterday. Same 4 on 4, 2 hours of skating. I have muscles in my legs/core that are hurting that I didn't even know I had. Hopefully going to the gym this evening before work to get some squats in!

Last edited:
Well, didn't make it in before work, but went after. Considering I was pretty tired, the squats went up really well. I assume it's from the hard skating I've been doing lately (I've never skated so many times in such a short period of time), but my legs definitely feel stronger.

Bench press on the other hand, as soon I laid down on the bench, my body started to shut down. Still almost got all my sets in, but just had no juice left. Almost fell asleep driving home. Hoping for a better showing next time.

Hockey again tomorrow morning, can't wait!

Squats
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 5
225lbs x 3 x 5

Bench
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 2 x 5
185lbs x 3

Just got back from hockey. 2 hours of 3 on 3 hockey with no subs. Safe to say, I'm dying. Legs are on fire and my lungs are already burned to a crisp.

Waking up in 5 ish hours and hopefully going to the gym before work. If not, Wednesday morning it is!

Wasn't too bad to wake up, just a little late. Definitely felt more lively than the other day. Matched my previous PR for front squats today, but I had a really shitty pressing day. As I was pressed for time, I just scrapped it and got my deadlifts in instead. All in all though it was a good work out. Huge headache from lack of sleep though. Work is going to be long and shitty.

Front squats
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
155 x 3 x 5

Military press
45lbs x 5
95lbs x 5
115lbs x 3

Deadlifts
135lbs x 5
225lbs x 5
295lbs x 5

If anyone is reading this, any recommendations on how to strengthen ankles? I've noticed while skating my right ankle is pretty weak compared to my left one. I did sprained it pretty bad about 4-5 months ago, but it wasn't all that strong before that.

Late night pick up with my girlfriend' uncle and his buddies. Lots of guys out which meant short shifts with maximum effort.

Hockey again in the AM!

2 hour skate. Had the ice to myself. Worked on my edgework, shooting, and saucer passes. My right ankle is slowly getting more stable it seems like

Now time to sleep and hopefully hit the gym before my shift tonight!

Skating lessons yesterday, showed up at the wrong time, so I only had 20 minutes on the ice. Still learned more in those 20 minutes than I have in the past month trying shit on my own. Can't wait for the next one!

Workout today. After 4 days of working overnights, with an average of 3.5 hours of sleep before each shift, and losing roughly 5lbs in those days due to lack of eating, it was nice to get back in the gym.

Squats were meh. Tried 235lbs for 5, but it wouldn't go, so I just did 3 sets of 3, then treated myself to a PR of 240lbs. I've never put that much on the bar, so it was a little consolation prize.

Bench was also meh, missed the last 2 reps of the last set. Hopefully next session will go better.

Squats
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 5
235lbs x 3 x 3
240lbs x 2

Bench
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
195lbs x 2 x 5
195lbs x 3

Body weight: 193.6lbs (I was 199lbs last week)

Powerskating lessons for an hour today. My legs are fried. Learned a lot though! Might be good enough to join an actual beer league next year

Good front squat day today. Set a new PR! But it seems like the higher my front squat goes, the lower my military press gets. 45lbs felt like it was draining my shoulders.

Ran out of time and didn't get any deadlifts in unfortunately. Now on a 12 hour work shift which will be followed by 2 hours of pick up hockey in the morning.

Front squats
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
165lbs x 3 x 5 *weight/rep PR*

Military press
45lbs x 5
95lbs x 3 x 5 (struggling)

2 hours of pick up hockey. 4 on 4 with two subs per team. Really fast paced, definitely not ideal to work out, work a 12 hour shift, then go play. I'll try my best to avoid this in the future!

Well I've been sick for 3 days. Still feel like a bag of dicks, but decided to try my hand at the gym. Terrible. I felt like I was about to throw up after every set of squats, and I still feel like I need to puke.

Normally after a set my muscles are screaming for a break and I'm gasping for air, but that wasn't the case today. I'd finish the set and I'd just have no energy what so ever. Still breathing fine and my muscles were good to go. Hopefully the next session goes better.

Squat
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 5
225lbs x 3
235lbs x 3 x 3

Still felt a little under the weather, went to the gym anyways before work to get some front squats in. But, all 3 squat racks were taken the entire time I was there.

So I did deadlifts and military press. The press was meh. After struggling with 95lbs last week, 115lbs at least went up. I should have taken more time between sets, as my reps went down every set.

Deadlifts went pretty well! I had to reset my grip before my 4th and 5th rep on my working set, but it still went up with no hitching.

Press
45lbs x 5
95lbs x 5
115lbs x 5
115lbs x 4
115lbs x 3

Deadlifts
135lbs x 5
225lbs x 5
275lbs x 3
305lbs x 5

Last night played some pick up hockey. Got my skates sharpened for the first time in over a year and oh my. What a difference that made. I became a 10% better skater just by doing that. Feels good man.

Today got a morning sesh in at the gym. I dropped weight down on both squats and bench, and it felt good to get full sets in.

Squats
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 5
225lbs x 3 x 5

Bench
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 3 x 5

Went to the gym before work, just did front squats. New PR. But for the past few days my elbows have been acting up (which has never happened before). Apparently playing a shit ton of hockey out of the blue can cause problems like tennis and golf elbow, and I have both in my left elbow. It hurts and uncomfortable, so my version of resting it is to not push anything or strain the forearms too much with deadlifts. Squats only for the foreseeable future!

Front squats
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
155lbs x 5
170lbs x 3 x 5 (rep and weight PR)

Back