What happens if spike chooses k-1 over UFC in 2006?

K-1 never caught on in America.

Nothing against kickboxing, but why watch that when you have MMA and Boxing. Kickboxing is not even the inbetween of both sports considering no grappling/clinching, and even then, people won't settle for something in the middle of the spectrum.

I like how people say well...kickboxers would do better than boxers in MMA, making it more versatile...Actually not really.
I'm not following your logic in regards to this middle of the spectrum theory.

In regards to Kickboxers doing better than Boxers in MMA, well we have Kickboxers that have made successful careers in MMA, can you name one Boxer that has done the same?

Yes and 90% of them are under 13 years of age. It's a kid sport that doesn't evolve into a career because their is no interest outside of the World Cup.

That just means that it will grow really fast in the next few years and bypass football and co.

The wages as a soccer player in the US are much lower than in Europe but not that low. Especially because you don't get(as much) brain damage as in the NFL, have a longer career. And in the US the depth of talent isn't there so you can more easily get to the top.

Also it doesn't matter how much they pay in the US. if you are good you go to Europe and make big bucks. And I dont believe the wages are that low anyway they paid Beckham a shitton. Same with some Asian countries who can't offer the best teams but they offer a shit ton of money if youa re good.

Soccer will 100% become one a top 3 sport in the US over the next years.

I'm not even a big fan but these re facts especially with the NFL having issues (brain trauma, political issues and others)

Soccer will never be bigger than the NFL in the US. The NFL is deeply rooted in our culture, as is Baseball and Basketball. Those three sports will remain at the top indefinitely.

Reality is the American casual viewers cannot relate to k-1 kickboxing. Most of them are just plain not good at it, so they don't watch it. Similar to soccer, most Americans are not good at that (on the elite world level) so they choose to watch sports that are more familiar to them like baseball, American football, wrestling. These sports are engrain in their upbringing (wrestling, football, baseball) as youths in schools. Most youth males wrestled and if not, think they can box (because that's all they are good at, its easy to throw a haymaker then to throw a balanced kick in a bar fight).

In MMA, particularly UFC, the rule set favors the wrestler (no spike elbows, no kick/knee to the face on the ground, lay and pray to win). Most casual viewers are able to relate to this style because wrestling and boxing is American, similar to American Football and baseball. So kickboxing/muaythai never caught on in the American main stream because plain and simple most Americans are not good at kickboxing, but most Americans can relate to wrestle+throwing a punch so MMA/UFC caught on quick. Typical, bar chugging bum would think he is a mma fighter, than an elite kickboxer any day because he will be unable to perform the skills of an kickboxer. Easier to grab and throw punches, so casual viewer can relate to this more and buy more pay per views.
Crazy talk.

That just means that it will grow really fast in the next few years and bypass football and co.

The wages as a soccer player in the US are much lower than in Europe but not that low. Especially because you don't get(as much) brain damage as in the NFL, have a longer career. And in the US the depth of talent isn't there so you can more easily get to the top.

Also it doesn't matter how much they pay in the US. if you are good you go to Europe and make big bucks. And I dont believe the wages are that low anyway they paid Beckham a shitton. Same with some Asian countries who can't offer the best teams but they offer a shit ton of money if youa re good.

Soccer will 100% become one a top 3 sport in the US over the next years.

I'm not even a big fan but these re facts especially with the NFL having issues (brain trauma, political issues and others)

Soccer didn"t really develop in the US that much unfortunately. Regarding soccer, it"s gonna easily dethrone that NBA crap, baseball also for sure. The MLB atmosphere is great but it"s baseball, rather boring sometimes. Soccer is the most popular game of the planet by far. The soccer stadiums are filled in Australia and the US, when they kinda play mediocre.

For me, the best North American sport is ice hockey. In Europe we believe rugby is much greater than American football. NFL is full of obese people that can"t run but you"re really selling it great.

As atmosphere, I would really love to go attending NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL. In this order. What I"m watching? Only ice hockey sometimes. And boxing of course. MMA is just a way too violent sport for Europe"s taste.

Last edited:
In Europe we believe rugby is much greater than American football. NFL is full of obese people that can"t run but you"re really selling it great.
<45>

Show me a Rugby player with the physical and athletic attributes of someone like Ray Lewis? NFL players are superior athletes and its not even close. And please, save me the "no pads" bullshit. Pads and helmets just allow NFL players to hit harder.

Soccer will never be bigger than the NFL in the US. The NFL is deeply rooted in our culture, as is Baseball and Basketball. Those three sports will remain at the top indefinitely.

Baseball as far as i know has been on a real decline among younger people. it's mostly older generations that still like it as much. it's too slow with too little happening for most people. Basketball will stay big.

But the thing with basketball is that the strict physical requirements on size fitler out the vast majority of potential players or people who just wnna do it for fun. Between size athleticism and skill, size is the most valueable attribute.

The NFL's numbers are declining. Many reasons for that but one major is that only now for whatever reason people start to get that hits to the head do damage. Boxing used to be bigger than football in the US, much bigger. Football as a sport will shrink like it happened to boxing.

The culture didn't prevent boxing from shrinking as a sport and it won't prevent the NFl from doing so. Soccer is basically the same culture. It is a harder sport than basketball and it has the same team spirit and in terms of fan culture and atmosphere a soccer game is the msot intense sport int he world not even a Super Bowl is as intense as quite a few matchups in soccer.

It will obviously stay a semi big sport in the same way boxing is but for the next few years i think soccer will get ahead of it. Possible that it changes again in x years

Soccer is a low scoring game. It's like Hockey but without the violence and speed. I honestly don't get why you Euro's love that shit so much it puts me to sleep. 3 hours for a 1-0 game. Americans love scoring because we're winners.

Soccer is a low scoring game. It's like Hockey but without the violence and speed. I honestly don't get why you Euro's love that shit so much it puts me to sleep. 3 hours for a 1-0 game. Americans love scoring because we're winners.
It's boring to watch for but it's fun as hell to play. The fans are just very passionatr about it

soccer is only fun to watch on the world cup

I used to be a fan a decade ago when the national cup used to be insanely competitive and the players way better making the games much more fun to watch, soccer lost a lot of power in South america since the early 2000´s

Maybe some people finally got tired of watching every week man running in a giant field for 90 minutes only to get a ball and kick it to the goal for less than 10 times in the whole game

ufc155_08_brusnon_vs_leben_001.jpg
That's a goddamn paragon of western culture right there.

Soccer is fun to play if your good at it. Anything is fun, if to you if you are good at it. Similar to kickboxing/muaythai most Americans are not good at it, that is why it has not caught on.... plain and simple

Similar to E-sport video games, the Koreans fill stadiums for these events. Ping Pong/ Bandminton in China. Volleyball in Brazil. Ladyboys in pattaya. If you are good at it, they will come. duh

<45>

Show me a Rugby player with the physical and athletic attributes of someone like Ray Lewis? NFL players are superior athletes and its not even close. And please, save me the "no pads" bullshit. Pads and helmets just allow NFL players to hit harder.

oh please, your posts in this thread all made sense until this. No disrespect to NFL players, but there are some great athletes in Rugby too. Check out guys like Joe Rokocoko or Jonah Lomu.

ps: I also do think that the no padding makes it a tougher sport, and there seems to be a lot less juicing in Rugby than in the NFL. Just saying.

But let's respect both sports please :)

I don't like football (what you call soccer) either but if that puts you to sleep, what about baseball then? zZz

oh please, your posts in this thread all made sense until this. No disrespect to NFL players, but there are some great athletes in Rugby too. Check out guys like Joe Rokocoko or Jonah Lomu.

ps: I also do think that the no padding makes it a tougher sport, and there seems to be a lot less juicing in Rugby than in the NFL. Just saying.

But let's respect both sports please :)
No disrespect to Rugby players I was responding to a claim that NFL players were fat and out of shape. Your top Rugby player can't hold a candle to a top NFL player, but that doesn't mean they aren't acceptional athletes.

I don't like football (what you call soccer) either but if that puts you to sleep, what about baseball then? zZz
I don't care for Baseball either and the seasons are incredibly long, way too many games to follow. I will say the tension in the World Series can be extremely entertaining provided your team made it however. There is still a lot more scoring than Soccer/Futbol.

I don't care for Baseball either and the seasons are incredibly long, way too many games to follow. I will say the tension in the World Series can be extremely entertaining provided your team made it however. There is still a lot more scoring than Soccer/Futbol.

Both are shit tbh

the reason MMA is more popular than kickboxing is because most americans are like this, and MMA appeals to these types of people much more than kickboxing. The general public are more concerned about winning a "bar fight" than being an athlete.

MMA Poser
man_file_1060310_douche4.PNG

typical american "tuff guys" that train "UFC"
the_many_varieties_of_douchebags_640_05.jpg

If there is anyone in here that rides motocross( i used to race). A very similar comparison would be MX racers, vs FMX riders, vs "bros". Theres a shit load of beer drinking weed smoking bro's that are all about FMX that dont even ride, they are nowhere near being an athlete. Lets take a look at some picstures for example.

mx athletes
newspic_1491-3468.jpg

fmx rider "twitch"
maxresdefault.jpg

MX posers
broparty1-729988.jpg

so just like FMX formed a gathering of followers/posers/wannabees because it was/is the cool thing to do.

MMA has done the same. MMA is the "cool" thing to do. Kickboxing is not.

Its much easier to be a FMX Bro, or a MMA Bro, than an actual athlete. Now pass me the roids, beer, cigs, protein shake, tap out jersey, bandana, and lets go lift weights at UFC gym bro. Then well go to the bar afterwards in our affliction shirts and try and pick fights with people half our size so everyone knows how badass we are. Kickboxing is a sport (so is mma). To the public mma is a fight, not a sport. Just like basketball is a sport, not a fight. I cant wait for the day I go to a bar and see guys walking around wearing NBA jerseys challenging people to basketball games.

What I think America really needs, instead of kickboxing this and kickboxing that, and changing the rules to appeal to the public etc. I think America just needs to be exposed to pure, high level muay thai, just as it is in thailand. We need full muay thai rules, we need live thai music, we need top level fighters, and we need to be able to bet at the fights. Just the simple act of being able to bet on the fights would increase its popularity drastically IMO. Now I know someone is going to say well we already have lion fight, well lion fight is still very americanized IMO. They dont play music during the fights, I dont recall ever seeing any wai krus, and you cant bet on it. Muay Thai is big in australia, has been for a long time, MMA is big there too. If muay thai can catch on it australia, it should be able to catch on here.

Last edited:
Soccer is played by over 13 million people in the U.S., making it the third most played sport in the U.S., more widely played than ice hockey and American football. - Wikipedia

13 Million people played.... 14 total goals were scored.

Back