Did Mayweather-Mcgregor really boost popularity for boxing?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can't see how. Everybody knows about boxing already, and a boxer beating an MMA fighter in boxing was a foregone conclusion.

Was there any point in having that match from a publicity standpoint? Only the UFC had something to gain from it.

UFC is having an awful year.
Canelo has sold more PPVs this year than the UFC has

Did absolutely nothing for the sport as a whole. Just for the two guys, especially Conor with everyone talking about the 'match'. Gave them huge publicity, but does nothing for non-boxing fans to actually get into the sport. They'd just be waiting for the next circus act that pops up on their radar to pay attention again.

LOL! No, that was just a freak show joke. That wasn't a real fight.

LOL! No, that was just a freak show joke. That wasn't a real fight.

In theory it could since a boxer beat a world class mma puncher in the most prestigious punching content there is. If Conor was famous for choking people out it would have been a different story.

Gervonta Davis became a superstar overnight.
I tried to hype up my casual friend at work a little. "watch the undercard fight with Davis, he's an up and coming boxer who knocks people out." Then JD comes in overweight and undertrained and looks like utter shit trying to land one punch at a time. Lost my respect that night.

Bias aside it probably did bring a new batch of casual fans into the sport.

It was a boxing match that went from fairly one-sided in the first few rounds to one-sided the opposite way and from the perspective of someone who doesn't follow boxing David ended up crushing Goliath and making the ref step in to save the bigger/younger/stronger fighter from getting seriously hurt.

For as stupid and ridiculous as the match up itself actually was itruned into exactly the kind of fight casuals want to see.

I can't see how. Everybody knows about boxing already, and a boxer beating an MMA fighter in boxing was a foregone conclusion.

Was there any point in having that match from a publicity standpoint? Only the UFC had something to gain from it.

Did someone say it did?
I haven't heard anyone saying "this is exactly what the sport's popularity needs!"

Assuming you're not arguing against a straw man. Popularity rarely carries over into unrelated fights.

1 boxer, by giving an exceptionally entertaining fight, may increase his average fan base.

But it's probably not going to be something like 'Because Kostya Tszyu had a great fight with Ben Tackie the turn out for John Ruiz's next fight was noticeably higher."

The truth about this fight and why Dana White didn't want it was because he didn't want MMA and The UFC to look bad. But Mayweather told him don't worry both Sports and both fighters will look good and we will make allot of money. Because Dana new Mayweather could end it in the first round but he wouldn't.

How I know is there was allot of punches that were pulled back by Mayweather, to make the fight last longer and Mayweather was not trying to make Mcgregor miss allot. but Mcgregor was trying his hardest to KO Floyd.

Then when Mayweather wanted to end the fight he did.

Dana right after the fight said never again will this happen, no more boxers vs UFC fighters. Because the next time it will be for real and the UFC fighter will get Knocked out in the first round.
4:22 of the video Dana says never again and you no why even if they make a load of money next time the boxer wont be playing and carrying the MMA fighter and it would make the UFC look bad and in the long run lose fans. Dana White is not taking that risk.

So now we have boxing talking trash and now we have MMA fans talking trash saying see a MMA fighter can hang with a pound for pound boxer.

Everyone wins there is no loser in this fight.

But we boxing fans no Mayweather was just playing with Mcgregor and could of Knocked him out in the first round, but waited and carried him till he said its time to end this and cash that check.

It was just a fight to make money that's all just a show but Mcgregor was really trying to KO Mayweather, but Mayweather was just playing with him. So the MMA and UFC wouldn't look bad and he promised them he wouldn't make them look bad.

If you believe any different then you don't no about making money and how these people think. It's all about making money for them thats it with this type of fight their Sports can't look bad and lose fans and money, there's no way in hell they would risk their Sports to look bad and lose money.

Everyone wins there is no loser in this fight and people loved this fight for some strange reason.

I didn't I new it was a scam and a money grabbing fight that Mayweather would destroy MCgregor easy.

NO BEEF! - THE MOMENT FLOYD MAYWEATHER & CONOR McGREGOR EMBRACED AFTER THEIR FIGHT

Comments after the fight. allot of fans made. That's allot of more money that is going to be made in both Sports, just like I said people are now even giving Floyd Mayweather mad respect now.

More money for boxing and the UFC.
03d6f3d0-90df-4e69-9ecf-9db8a22653dc.png

Back