Motorsports thread. Discuss any motorsports here

Vettel takes the pole from Verstappen on the final lap. With those two on the front row the first turn could be interesting. Hamilton and Bottas on the second row. Verstappen is under investigation for blocking Bottas who was on a very fast run. It would have been terrible if Max got the pole only to be disqualified for blocking.

just watched that. there was really nowhere else for him to go. he held his line, after all.
he can't just simply vanish from the track.

bravo to vettel for taking top spot.
I hope he goes wire to wire.

just watched that. there was really nowhere else for him to go. he held his line, after all.
he can't just simply vanish from the track.

bravo to vettel for taking top spot.
I hope he goes wire to wire.

He can keep up speed and find a better place to get out of the way. No reason to slow below 30 mph on the track.

I see two hard headed idiots in the front row who might take each other out on the first turn. Hamilton should hold back and wait for the fireworks.

I think Verstappen did the right thing. First and foremost is to reduce speed to almost nil.
If he'd maintained speed, Bottas would have encountered him on a turn.

As for the start, very true. Max has shown how anxious and stubborn he can be. Vettel, for his part,
may accept the season defeat but would I'm sure like to win a race for Ferrari.

Hopefully, the two have had a discussion about turn one.

I think Verstappen did the right thing. First and foremost is to reduce speed to almost nil.
If he'd maintained speed, Bottas would have encountered him on a turn.

As for the start, very true. Max has shown how anxious and stubborn he can be. Vettel, for his part,
may accept the season defeat but would I'm sure like to win a race for Ferrari.

Hopefully, the two have had a discussion about turn one.

Bottas did encounter him on a turn and, not knowing where Verstappen was going, caused Bottas to brake hard to avoid contact.

Vettel caused the crash that took both Ferraris out by attempting to block at Singapore. I assume he'll try to block Verstappen again. Both will push hard no matter who gets the lead. Vettel took the lead at Texas as Himilton backed off to avoid a collision. Vettel fell off quickly in Texas. Hamilton will likely take care of his tires and could take the lead when Vettel and Verstappen pit for tires.

Hamilton was able to run 26 laps on Ulta Softs without much drop off in speed and got 29 total laps on them. It will be interesting to see the strategy in the race.

Hammy doesn't even need to be aggressive but simply manage his tires and stay out of trouble.
A top 5 should be easy for him, then he clinches.

The problem with that though is what is there to race for in the remainder of the season other than
constructor's points?

Hectic start as expected with Hammy getting a puncture from Vettel's wing no doubt as the young Verstappen storms to the front.
Oboy, 'box! box! box!"

Wtf, the on board shot of Vettel it looks like he just straight up ran into Hamilton. It looked like he had room, wasn't understeering or locked up.

Edit Hamilton just asked if Vettel hit him deliberately. Sure as hell looked like it to me upon that view.

Edit just showed the replay again. Imo it really looks like he just rammed that wing into Hamiltons tire. They weren't side by side.

Last edited:
I guess Hamilton should have exceeded track limits to get out of Vettels way. It certainly looked like Vettel intentionally hit Hamilton from behind from the view from Vettels car.

Hammy doesn't even need to be aggressive but simply manage his tires and stay out of trouble.
A top 5 should be easy for him, then he clinches.

The problem with that though is what is there to race for in the remainder of the season other than
constructor's points?

Mercedes already won the constructors championship last weekend.

wow, no shit.
wtf

red bull must be sweating bullets right now for Max's car to hold up

no, I'm talking about the lower teams. ones with 40-60 pts are all still in contention for points, which as we know can translate into millions of dollars from F1.

1 MERCEDES 575
2 FERRARI 428
3 RED BULL RACING TAG HEUER 315
4 FORCE INDIA MERCEDES 159
5 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 68
6 TORO ROSSO 53
7 RENAULT 48
8 HAAS FERRARI 43
9 MCLAREN HONDA 23

1. Mercedes AMG Petronas 595
2. Scuderia Ferrari 455
3. Red Bull Racing 340
4. Sahara Force India F1 175
5. Williams Martini Racing 76 4.22
6. Scuderia Toro Rosso 53 2.94
7. Renault 48 2.66
8. Haas F1 Team 47 2.61
9. McLaren Honda 24 1.34
10. Sauber F1 Team 5 .28

There are a maximum of 43 points available per race if team cars can finish first and second. This means a total of 86 points in the two races so the top 5 teams can't move up. On the latest point chart above I have added the average points per race of the bottom 6 teams. Below is the points system. Only the top ten cars in each race get points. It's the major reason the bottom 5 are where they are.

Toro Rosso is 23 points behind Williams. If both Williams fell out of both of the races the Toro Rossos would have to finish 6th and 7th or better in both races. Since the team averages less than 3 points per race, they don't often finish better than 9th which is 2 points.

Renault and Haas have a lower point differential but a lower average finish to go along with it. I don't feel that there is much of a chance that these teams will suddenly improve their performance. By 18 races in they are pretty much set in their position. The teams ranked higher than them are likely to score more points in the two races than the teams behind them. Hass did gain 4 points on Renault today with the Renault engine failures.

1st place 25 points
2nd place 18 points
3rd place 15 points
4th place 12 points
5th place 10 points
6th place 8 points
7th place 6 points
8th place 4 points
9th place 2 points
10th place 1 point

Bottas is only 15 points behind Vettel
Raikkonen is only 14 points behind Ricciardo
Those 4 drivers are in cars that could allow them to overcome that point spread.

I would like to see a change in the points system so they assign points all the way down to 20th place. Maybe keep 25 for first then drop to 19 for second and down 1 point for each position below that. If a car isn't going to be in the top ten, they might as well park it and save wear on the car.

Maybe they could only assign points to cars that are running at the end. Only 19 of the 25 drivers who competed this year have any points.

Ferrari threatens to take their ball and go home. Apparently they oppose trying to level the playing field.

2 November 2017 – Ferrari has threatened to leave Formula 1 unless post-2020 conditions are favourable, after the sport's owner, Liberty Media, and governing body, the FIA, outlined proposals for the next power unit cycle.

Liberty is working on several plans to boost F1's appeal, including the redistribution of revenues, to help smaller teams, and making the 2021 power unit simpler, cheaper and louder.

Ferrari has been involved in F1 since the championship's birth in 1950, amassing 15 Drivers' titles, 16 Constructors' titles and 227 victories, and making almost 1000 starts.

However, amid Liberty's push for change, and ahead of a meeting with F1 chiefs on Tuesday, Ferrari Chairman and CEO Sergio Marchionne warned that marque could reconsider its position.

https://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/360606/ferrari-threatens-to-leave-over-f1-plans/

Back