Multiplatform Monster Hunter World

Dinkin_Flicka

So easy it's hard
@Black
Reaction score
*EDIT*
Handy link for all of the High Rank Armor sets, skills, and bonuses for gear planning:

http://teambrg.com/monster-hunter-world/mhw-armor-skill-info-slots-traits-table-chart/

Comes out in January, easily my most hyped game of 2018. I've been dying for a proper console entry into the Monster Hunter series, so I'm fucking thrilled for this to hit. MH3U was fun on the Wii U, but it was a port of a 3DS game and lack of voice chat on the Wii U made communication 1000x harder than it needed to be.

Here is some new footage from TGS. Not a fan of The Handler, but I'm guessing that is just for the demo and you'll be able to turn off in the main game. Also the guy playing is terrible and it hurt my feelings watching him try to launch attacks with the Longsword.

Last edited:
i dont understand why this isnt on the switch. The switch get some shit back version, this one looks hella interesting

i dont understand why this isnt on the switch. The switch get some shit back version, this one looks hella interesting

Capcom has stated they wanted to capture the console market. The switch is just the next 3DS in essence.

Comes out in January, easily my most hyped game of 2018. I've been dying for a proper console entry into the Monster Hunter series, so I'm fucking thrilled for this to hit. MH3U was fun on the Wii U, but it was a port of a 3DS game and lack of voice chat on the Wii U made communication 1000x harder than it needed to be.

Here is some new footage from TGS. Not a fan of The Handler, but I'm guessing that is just for the demo and you'll be able to turn off in the main game. Also the guy playing is terrible and it hurt my feelings watching him try to launch attacks with the Longsword.

Dinkin several friends and I are taking the week off after release. Super hyped dude! They are really pushing this hard with lots of videos and marketing which excites me about the product they are about to put forward.

I've never played a Monster Hunter game before.. I debated getting Stories. I'll probably pick World up.. looks pretty cool.

Looks quite interesting.

Seconded about the guy playing. He should wash off his shame with fire.

More info and pics from TGS.

https://www.dualshockers.com/monster-hunter-world-new-screenshots-gameplay/

Seems like there will be a lot of varity in the character creation

MonsterHunterWorld-25.jpg

MonsterHunterWorld-24.jpg

Seems like they may have revamped the armor system. The article doesn't go into great detail on armor skills but it sounds like armor will have a full skill loaded rather than points towards a skill and the addition of a full set bonus. It seems like you'll also be able to add skills and the ability to enhance your skills with mantles.

We also get to take another glimpse at the special mantles that can be used activating special effects. One can make our hunter stealthy, another makes us resilient to knockbacks and knockdowns of all kinds, another provokes the monsters letting us lure them where we want, and a fourth lets us glide. This specific one can use the wind to glide longer, and also makes it easier to jump on a monster’s back.

More screenshots showcase the forge at the village of Astella. By using materials and currency it’s possible to strengthen your equipment following a chosen route. It’s also possible to reset the improvements, which actually gives back the materials.

It’s also possible to produce armor for both the character and the palico buddy.

An interesting feature is the wishlist, that lets you register the equipment you want to make or enhance, and check the necessary materials out from a dedicated menu at any time.

Armor can also be given skills, and those are active when worn. If multiple pieces of armor include the same skill, its level will be improved.

Armor sets also have their own skills, and by wearing all the piece of a specific set will activate powerful abilities.

MonsterHunterWorld-6.jpg

So hyped for this game!! I think this graphics overhaul is exactly what Monster Hunter needed. Limiting it to the 3DS was painful to see.

So is this literally just MH on consoles?

It's not some weird off version of the portable ones?

If so, I'm 100% on board.

Been waiting on a PC/PS4 Monster Hunter. Will buy.

Capcom has stated they wanted to capture the console market. The switch is just the next 3DS in essence.

either way the one on switch i canning up the system. they should have put monster hunter world on Switch

either way the one on switch i canning up the system. they should have put monster hunter world on Switch

They can't just do that necessarily. It's not designed for that type of screen and sizing.

Monster Hunter World and HZD Aloy cross over. Trailer also shows that PS4 will be getting an exclusive beta on 12/9. Pumped for that!!!

What is the story of this game? Is it basically killing giant monsters? Are there puzzles or other things besides hack & slash?

What is the story of this game? Is it basically killing giant monsters? Are there puzzles or other things besides hack & slash?

At a quick glance it looks like a hack and slash game, but that would be like calling Dark Souls a hack and slash.

They're changing the mold a bit for from previous Monster Hunter games, as this one is more open world but it will most likely still follow a similar formula. There is an overarching story that is typically pretty weak; Monsters are invading..... yada yada yada..... find the source...... hit it until it dies.

There will be a hub village where you will accept quests that will be divided by Rank, and as you progress through the available quests you'll unlock higher Ranks and tougher Monsters.

Where the game really shines is the tight gameplay mechanics and robust crafting system. The crafting system is one of the best ones I've encountered. Each monster has a loot table that has Claws, Teeth, Hides, Pelt, etc. You then use these monster drops to craft weapons and armor. Since every armor has it's strengths and weaknesses. the Weapons/Armor crafted from their loot drops will share those strength and weaknesses. Crafting a full set of armor from a specific monster will grant passive bonuses to aid your character like I-frame increase in dodging, heat/cold/elec resistance, weapon durability, etc. Leveling is completely gear based.

Hunting mechanics are similar to Dark Souls gameplay. Patience is king in waiting for viable openings and not getting greedy. Recognizing patterns and proper positioning/timing is key as you progress through the ranks.

I'm really hyped for this game, easily my most anticipated game of 2018. Glad it hitting in January, I'll easily put in several hundred hours. Really looking forward to see how they add network play since the game has been a handheld staple for years.

At a quick glance it looks like a hack and slash game, but that would be like calling Dark Souls a hack and slash.

They're changing the mold a bit for from previous Monster Hunter games, as this one is more open world but it will most likely still follow a similar formula. There is an overarching story that is typically pretty weak; Monsters are invading..... yada yada yada..... find the source...... hit it until it dies.

There will be a hub village where you will accept quests that will be divided by Rank, and as you progress through the available quests you'll unlock higher Ranks and tougher Monsters.

Where the game really shines is the tight gameplay mechanics and robust crafting system. The crafting system is one of the best ones I've encountered. Each monster has a loot table that has Claws, Teeth, Hides, Pelt, etc. You then use these monster drops to craft weapons and armor. Since every armor has it's strengths and weaknesses. the Weapons/Armor crafted from their loot drops will share those strength and weaknesses. Crafting a full set of armor from a specific monster will grant passive bonuses to aid your character like I-frame increase in dodging, heat/cold/elec resistance, weapon durability, etc. Leveling is completely gear based.

Hunting mechanics are similar to Dark Souls gameplay. Patience is king in waiting for viable openings and not getting greedy. Recognizing patterns and proper positioning/timing is key as you progress through the ranks.

I'm really hyped for this game, easily my most anticipated game of 2018. Glad it hitting in January, I'll easily put in several hundred hours. Really looking forward to see how they add network play since the game has been a handheld staple for years.

Awesome, thanks for the breakdown. Seems really fun and one I’ll pick up for sure.

Totally excited for this after years of hearing how awesome the series is and fans of MH games saying, "pfft. MH combat is better than Dark Souls." Will be waiting for the PC version and I hope they don't delay it too much.

Totally excited for this after years of hearing how awesome the series is and fans of MH games saying, "pfft. MH combat is better than Dark Souls." Will be waiting for the PC version and I hope they don't delay it too much.

I wouldn't say the combat is better, but it's definitely in the same caliber. They have a lot of similarities like the need to memorize patterns and taking advantage i-frames but MH combat is a little slower, more methodical, and I would say less forgiving. Both games will punish the shit out of you if you get to greedy and try to sneak in a few extra attacks, but there is no targeting mechanic in MH so positioning becomes more important to take advantage of the small windows of opportunity. There is also no enemy life guage, so you have no idea how close to death a monster is.

Crafting in MH is a huge part of the game, since leveling and abilities are completely gear based. A majority of the crafting materials are carved/droped from monsters. Depending on what items you need from the monster will depend on how you attack. If you need the monsters tail you'll position youreslf differently than if you were going for horns/teeth. By removing these parts from a monster it may drop the item you're looking for right then, but it will also add it to the monster loot table to be carved once the monster is dead.

There are fast attacking weapons like the Dual Swords or Sword and Shield that you can get away with more of a hack and slash tactic, but I main the Great Sword in MH which is big and slow and to take full advantage of the weapon you have to incorporate the Charge Attacks. Watching some of the high level players go to town with a Great Sword is pretty incredible. They are in position and charging up an attack well before the monster finishes the attack animation, so when the animation finishes they're already there to unleash a LV.3 Charge.

This guy has some Greatsword skills. Keep in mind this is a high level hunt and the monster has some serious HP's.

Back