Lonzo Ball: Bust or Baller?

Barkley was 100% right last night, unless he completely re works his shooting mechanics he won’t be able to get his shot off.

Barkley was 100% right last night, unless he completely re works his shooting mechanics he won’t be able to get his shot off.

For quick reference. Seems like a nice kid, but he's gotta fix his game and/or his attitude towards it.

Surprised you're still here Sadmick

Oh and definitely did not read. Lonzo Ball going for ROY, MVP AND FINALS MVP. BOOK IT DANO

lol at 0 points in 28 minutes of play against a bad defensive team

No Shaq was right. He can get his shot off, he just doesn't want to. Shot mechanics have zero to do with driving to the basket, getting floaters and layups, or getting to the free throw line anyway. His game currently consists of bringing the ball up the floor, passing, then walking off to the weak side and watching the game.

No Shaq was right. He can get his shot off, he just doesn't want to. Shot mechanics have zero to do with driving to the basket, getting floaters and layups, or getting to the free throw line anyway. His game currently consists of bringing the ball up the floor, passing, then walking off to the weak side and watching the game.
He cant drive because his first step is non existant and teams know it, guys can play a step off of him because hes not gonna blow by them but still close enough that they can affect the shot because it starts so low.

Shaq had a great point about passivity, but he was 100% wrong about the severe problems with the kid's shot mechanics, and Chuck's analysis of that could be seen right there in the two shots Lonzo took in the game. Who cares about a 29-pt game against a team in the middle of a reactor meltdown who had just lost by 48 two nights previous, and fired their coach several days later?

Kenny, Shaq, and Charles all had great points, but Charles and Kenny were right about his shot. He's gotten away with it because at the high school & college level his relative superiority of quickness and 6'6" frame protected the bad habit. These are no longer a viable refuge. This is why you listen to shooting coaches. This is why fundamentals matter. Shaq used to tease Timmy D about it, but fundamentals win. He swings the ball in the fucking pocket-- damn near every time.

Looks like they're having trouble forcing a more uptempo game where he could take advantage of that court vision to bypass quicker defenders and get those dive-scores at the hoop.

Lavar's not any different than the asshole parents I see at youth sports every week. It just happens his oldest son is an excellent player. Maybe not annual All-Star great, but he's a good player.

Lavar is the kind of fuckstick that yells at the volunteer coaches and referees. Making an ass of himself in the stands.

I'm involved in the youth football league down here.... Kind of. My girls are into Drill and Cheerleading. No boys for me... boo hoo... lol.

Anyway, I'm almost glad I don't have any. Some of these fucking parents are retarded. You see all these dumbass dads who played maybe into High School, even a little College... maybe. They're the worst, because they couldn't make it. Fucking Uncle Ricos... all of them.

One of the coaches is a Former U of H QB. And the guy is amazing. He's great with the kids, the parents, the other team's coaches, whatever. He's not putting pressure on his kid... none of that BS. It's crazy how humble he is. Played softball with him a few times. Effortless talent.

Lonzo really needs to step up and tell his dad to back off. He seems like a really great kid and a team player in a league filled with MeFirst stars. If it wasn't for his dad, fans around the nation would be embracing him because people like seeing humble players with talent who make his team better with unselfish play. Instead, there's a huge contingency of fans who want to see him fail because of his asshole dad.

Also, daddy Lavar is going to have a coronary when the two younger sons flame out in the NBA, if they even get drafted. Lavar will be blaming everyone....
I think you're spot on. You're not going to see guys like Shaq or Lebron going nuts in the stands when watching even their uber-talented sons do their thing. They're way too successful and chilled and know that there are far bigger things.

Lavar has been suffering an inferiority complex these last 30 years since it was apparent that he was a big body with average amateur athletic talent at best.

And yes - after Lonzo doesn't live up to expectations, teams will be even less likely to draft any of the other two - even if they do demonstrate pro potential.

He cant drive because his first step is non existant and teams know it, guys can play a step off of him because hes not gonna blow by them but still close enough that they can affect the shot because it starts so low.

I
Shaq had a great point about passivity, but he was 100% wrong about the severe problems with the kid's shot mechanics, and Chuck's analysis of that could be seen right there in the two shots Lonzo took in the game. Who cares about a 29-pt game against a team in the middle of a reactor meltdown who had just lost by 48 two nights previous, and fired their coach several days later?

Kenny, Shaq, and Charles all had great points, but Charles and Kenny were right about his shot. He's gotten away with it because at the high school & college level his relative superiority of quickness and 6'6" frame protected the bad habit. These are no longer a viable refuge. This is why you listen to shooting coaches. This is why fundamentals matter. Shaq used to tease Timmy D about it, but fundamentals win. He swings the ball in the fucking pocket-- damn near every time.

Looks like they're having trouble forcing a more uptempo game where he could take advantage of that court vision to bypass quicker defenders and get those dive-scores at the hoop.

The guy has plenty of time to shoot. He's 6' 6' and has a step back. Further they're backing off of him, daring him to shoot. That was an example of his shot being blocked yes.. and I agree he needs to change his mechanics. But he was 0-2 in 29 minutes. Even taking granny 3 point shots... he would be getting a hell of a lot more shots off IF he wanted to. He doesn't want to shoot. I think we are saying the same thing though

I

The guy has plenty of time to shoot. He's 6' 6' and has a step back. Further they're backing off of him, daring him to shoot. That was an example of his shot being blocked yes.. and I agree he needs to change his mechanics. But he was 0-2 in 29 minutes. Even taking granny 3 point shots... he would be getting a hell of a lot more shots off IF he wanted to. He doesn't want to shoot. I think we are saying the same thing though
Iceberg under the water. Think of great shot blockers and interior defenders. It isn't 3-4 blocked shots (not even guaranteed turnovers) that make them game-changers. It's all the shots the other team doesn't take, and all the shots that get altered. Sure, Lonzo might be able to get off all those bad shots he's been taking, but he's been getting drilled for that.

I dunno, maybe this is his way of throwing a tantrum. "See how you do when I don't shoot." Doesn't really matter. He's under the microscope, now and forever. Thanks, Dad.

Dude's like an infielder who pumps the ball into his glove before he throws to a base. That shit is not sustainable

Good luck trying to change his form without his pos father causing a shitstorm

I'd put you 5 foot under ground
<bball2>

So far I've seen him get his way to the bucket and he doesn't know how to use his body to shield off the defender and gets a ton of his shots swatted into the 1st couple rows. I would bet he's had his own shot blocked more then anyone else in the league right now.

LaVar Ball is already upset about Lonzo's playing time with the Lakers
lavar.jpg

USA Today said:
It was bound to happen.

After saying that he wouldn’t question coaches once Lonzo Ball reached the NBA, LaVar Ball continued to do what he has done with every coach who has worked with his sons. LaVar is taking issue with Luke Walton’s rotations, specifically when it comes to playing Lonzo in the fourth quarter.

In an interview with Bleacher Report, LaVar wasn’t pleased with how Lonzo has been sitting for extended periods of the fourth quarter before entering the game. According to LaVar, Lonzo should be playing the entire fourth quarter if the Lakers want to win. He said after Lonzo played 29 minutes in a win over the Nets:

“Let him play the whole fourth quarter and bet you’ll always win. He’ll get into a better flow. The in and out, sitting out six to 10 minutes? He’s not going to take no shots because he’s not in the flow. He don’t want to hurt the team by shooting.”

Lonzo has struggled considerably with his shot in November, shooting below 20 percent from the field. He was 3 of 15 in that win over Brooklyn with just six points.

While LaVar didn’t call Walton out by name, these are the types of comments that concerned teams heading into the draft. At one point, the Lakers reached out to UCLA for advice about dealing with LaVar.
{<jordan}

Deng seeks L.A. exit despite talks with Walton
ESPN said:
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- When Los Angeles Lakers forward Larry Nance Jr.broke a bone in his left hand last week, there was a brief possibility the team might replace him in the starting lineup with veteran power forward Luol Deng.

Instead the Lakers started rookie Kyle Kuzma, who proceeded to put up double-doubles in both his starts. Kuzma has played so well, he may never come out of the starting lineup -- even when Nance is ready to return in 4-6 weeks.

Deng remained right where he has been for most of the season -- on the inactive list, while the Lakers prioritize developing their younger players over getting value out of the man they signed to a four-year, $72 million contract in the summer of 2016.

"It definitely hurts," Deng told ESPN on Monday after the Lakers' practiced. "But the only answer for me now is to prove myself away from L.A. I'm not asked to play, I'm not in the rotation, so I can't prove myself here.

"Most of these young guys don't understand the business of basketball, so if I come in here and I'm angry every day, I'm taking something away from them. I have to be smiling, I have to be in the best mood I can be in, because they're living their dream of being an NBA player."

Deng said he and his agent, Jeff Austin from Octagon sports management, have been working with the Lakers to find a resolution to the situation, either via trade or buyout, but he understands it may take weeks, months or even years to settle as he has two years and $36 million remaining on his contract after this season.

"We have a really young group that we're trying to grow together and get as much opportunity as possible. I know that that's not obviously the ideal situation for you or what you signed up for; I have compassion for that. What we need out of you is to be a really good vet, to be a leader in the locker room and be a mentor to these guys, because a lot of them look up to you."

Luke Walton to Luol Deng
A Lakers source confirmed that the team has met with Deng's representatives to find a solution, via trade or buyout, that would allow him the opportunity to play more.

"You just never know. It could be a month, it could be a week, it could be three months," Deng said. "I don't want something to happen and I'm called upon but my shape holds me back. The challenge is to challenge yourself to be in better shape than if I was playing. Then if I fall short I'm still in good shape."

Deng said he appreciated that Lakers coach Luke Walton has been upfront with him throughout his time in L.A. Last season, Deng started the first 53 games of the season before the team shifted gears around the trade deadline. He was either inactive or didn't play due to coaches' decision in the final 22 games.

Walton and Deng both said they've had several discussions last season and this season about the situation. Walton told ESPN that his message to Deng has been, "We have a really young group that we're trying to grow together and get as much opportunity as possible. I know that that's not obviously the ideal situation for you or what you signed up for; I have compassion for that. What we need out of you is to be a really good vet, to be a leader in the locker room and be a mentor to these guys, because a lot of them look up to you. And for you to be ready. You never know how the NBA season goes. There's always injuries. There's always something that happens. Opportunities will be there."

Timofey Mozgov (who'd been signed to a four-year, $64 million deal the same summer), the Lakers' only options will be to buy him out or waive-and-stretch out what they owe Deng. That would spread the salary cap hit out over five years, rather than two.

"I'm just being patient," said Deng, who has been inactive for nine of the Lakers' first 10 games. "Throughout my career I've never really been a guy who created drama or wanted to deal with drama. At the end of the day I know what it is, I know I can play the game. But it's the situation that I came into."
<bball2>

Lonzo fucked around and got a triple double

Triple double ladies and gentlemen

Last edited:
Long time Laker fan here. I'm not sold on Lonzo yet...he just doesnt have the aggression factor yet. It's SUPER early...this isnt the NFL where u can kinda tell who a player is this soon.

Again, we got Kuzma who has been the most promising but Lonzo with the hype may seem like a bust but he can become a decent player. I just dont see anything too special yet

Back