How limiting is a 20ga. really?

If you really hunt birds, you'll want a 12guage. I wouldn't consider anything other than a 12 where I live because it doubles for bear defense so even when I don't "take a gun", I still usually have a 12g close by.

I've leaned towards cheaper and cheaper pump 12g guns for awhile because they take such a beating and often get left in the porch or in the boat, on the snow machine and we don't do much more than wipe them down. No reason to spend much on a nice 12g pump gun.

I don't know man , a nice over under in 20 gauge is pretty sweet for upland birds. Of course if you're talking ducks or geese the 12 in better. Ill take my 6lbs and change 20 gauge to the dove field or grouse woods any day .

So, I just saw crime scene photos for a dude that got got by 20 gauge double 0 and birdshot from about 15 feet away....

20 gauge is perfectly fine for home defense. Good grief that was bad.

So, I just saw crime scene photos for a dude that got got by 20 gauge double 0 and birdshot from about 15 feet away....

20 gauge is perfectly fine for home defense. Good grief that was bad.

Hell .410 with 3" buckshot shot is fine too. Five 8.4 mm balls moving at 1200-1300 fps will do the trick.

If you really hunt birds, you'll want a 12guage. I wouldn't consider anything other than a 12 where I live because it doubles for bear defense so even when I don't "take a gun", I still usually have a 12g close by.

I've leaned towards cheaper and cheaper pump 12g guns for awhile because they take such a beating and often get left in the porch or in the boat, on the snow machine and we don't do much more than wipe them down. No reason to spend much on a nice 12g pump gun.

Sheeeit. I remember growing up here in WA, duck and grouse hunting with my grandpa. We did so with 12g for the most part, but some 20 gauge, as he liked it infrequently. A cheap 12g has always been a mainstay for me. Hell, I've successfully hunted with the double barrel he took off a dead Nazi in France. They're like the Mark Hunt of guns. Just keep beating the shit out of them, nothing seems to happen.

Sheeeit. I remember growing up here in WA, duck and grouse hunting with my grandpa. We did so with 12g for the most part, but some 20 gauge, as he liked it infrequently. A cheap 12g has always been a mainstay for me. Hell, I've successfully hunted with the double barrel he took off a dead Nazi in France. They're like the Mark Hunt of guns. Just keep beating the shit out of them, nothing seems to happen.

Right now I have a weatherby pa08 which I paid like 289.00 for. It just keeps going and going. I actually feel bad about how I treat it. LAst night I sprayed it down with wd40 after getting back from shooting spruce grouse and left it outside. I came out this morning and it was covered in an inch of frost lol.

20 is plenty powerful, americans have so much access to firearms they neglect everything below .45ACP, 12ga or .223(they also thought it was too weak until the 60s). And then come the myths that such cartridge has no power, cannot take down animal X and will only annoy a guy on PCP. Although even grizzly bears have been stopped by .22s with the right shot placement(not that it's recommended).

I prefer the 12ga though because there is a larger selection of ammo where I live.

20ga is for women and children. 12 is for grown men.

Back