Steven Spielberg's THE POST Starring Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep

If you have seen THE POST, how would you rate it?

• 10 - Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 - Great

• 8 - Good

• 6 - Decent

• 5 - Average

• 4 - Poor

• 3 - Bad

• 2 - Terribad

• 1 - Abysmal

• Total voters

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
First Trailer for Steven Spielberg's THE POST Starring Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep

Steven Spielberg directs Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in The Post, a thrilling drama about the unlikely partnership between The Washington Post’s Katharine Graham (Streep), the first female publisher of a major American newspaper, and editor Ben Bradlee (Hanks), as they race to catch up with The New York Times to expose a massive cover-up of government secrets that spanned three decades and four U.S. Presidents. The two must overcome their differences as they risk their careers – and their very freedom – to help bring long-buried truths to light. In theaters December 22, 2017

Update: November 28, 2017

Steven Spielberg's THE POST Named Best Film by National Board of Review

7qwMlMG.png

The National Board of Review on Tuesday announced its 2017 award winners, naming The Post as the best film of the year. The Steven Spielberg-directed film about the Pentagon Papers saga also scored best actor and actress prizes from the group for its lead performances by Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep.

The accolades are the first major awards for the Fox and DreamWorks film, which is set to be released Dec. 22 in select theaters.

The NBR also bestowed the first major awards on Paul Thomas Anderson's Christmas release, Phantom Thread. The film, which marks Daniel Day-Lewis' final acting role, was honored with the best original screenplay prize and was named one of NBR's top films.

Greta Gerwig earned best director honors for her acclaimed feature-helming debut Lady Bird (also named one of NBR's top 10 films), with the dramedy's Laurie Metcalf also nabbing a supporting actress award. The honor comes less than 24 hours after Lady Bird star Saoirse Ronan won the Gotham Award for best actress.

The Florida Project's Willem Dafoe was named best supporting actor.

The best adapted screenplay prize went to The Disaster Artist's Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, with the movie also being named one of NBR's top 10 films. The honors came the day after star James Franco was named best actor at the Gotham Awards.

Less than 24 hours after Get Out won three Gotham Awards, the Jordan Peele-helmed racially themed horror film won best directorial debut for Peele and best ensemble honors. And following Call Me by Your Name's best feature Gotham Award, star Timothee Chalamet won the NBR's breakthrough performance prize for his role in the Luca Guadagnino-directed coming-of-age romance. Both films were also named to NBR's list of top films.

Other notable NBR winners include Coco (best animated feature), Wonder Woman's Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins (Spotlight Award) and Angelina Jolie's First They Killed My Father (one of two Freedom of Expression Awards).

'The Post' Named Best Film by National Board of Review, Also Scored Best Actor and Best Actress Prizes

Update: November 28, 2017

First Critics Reactions to Steven Spielberg's THE POST

First Trailer for Steven Spielberg's THE POST Starring Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep

Steven Spielberg directs Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in The Post, a thrilling drama about the unlikely partnership between The Washington Post’s Katharine Graham (Streep), the first female publisher of a major American newspaper, and editor Ben Bradlee (Hanks), as they race to catch up with The New York Times to expose a massive cover-up of government secrets that spanned three decades and four U.S. Presidents. The two must overcome their differences as they risk their careers – and their very freedom – to help bring long-buried truths to light. In theaters December 22, 2017

Spielberg, Hanks and Streep?

Oscar-bait if I ever saw one.

Is it that time of year again when we get on our hands and knees and thank Christ for Meryl Streep? Poontang your old ass on outta here grandma.

Finally some real art not that shitty MMA shit

I know Steven can't deliver junk, but I don't think this comes off gritty enough. Seems like a Disney version.

Watched this tonight.

It's a good film, but not a great one.

Hanks and Streep both turn in great performances, Hanks especially, and they are backed up by an EXCELLENT supporting cast who are all bringing their A game. Spielberg's direction is also on point, employing a lot of camera work that subtly enhances the viewing experience and doing an excellent job of really invoking the essence of the early 1970s. It all feels very authentic.

However, narratively the film is a bit of a mixed bag. The film is two hours long and the first hour moves pretty slowly. When you hit the halfway mark and start really thinking about it, you understand that the movie laid the foundation for everything that was to come but at the same time you have a sense that not a lot actually happened. The second hour, however, is more interesting and moves along at a brisker pace.

I'm not sure how close to history the film stays, but I do think that the message is relevant in any era. We need a free press. It's the press's job to make sure that news is reported fairly and accurately; it's the government's job to stay the fuck out of their way in that reporting and respect the 1st Amendment.

All in all, I think it's a solid film that's worth a watch, but not one of Spielberg's best. At times it feels like he's trying to fill out a complete movie with not quite enough narrative material, but he pulls it off well enough that this is only a minor complaint.

I'll give it a 7.5.

BTW, fun fact: From what I heard earlier today, Spielberg had already finished shooting Ready Player One when he started work on The Post. I guess that just goes to show you how much post-production is involved with RPO. And I guess it also shows how much of a talented workhorse Spielberg is, juggling two major productions at the same time.

@Dragonlordxxxxx, where's the poll?

Spielberg has been mailing in shit for awhile. No one question that. He just is happy turning in above average whatever. His movies are like shiny polished chunks of fools gold. It still looks nice but you know it isn't gold.

Spielberg has been mailing in shit for awhile. No one question that. He just is happy turning in above average whatever. His movies are like shiny polished chunks of fools gold. It still looks nice but you know it isn't gold.

Disagree.

I don't think most of his work today lives up to his best films of yesteryear, but they're all still very good films that are better than 90% of what everyone else is doing. And by all accounts, The Post is a movie that he was very passionate about making.

If you can watch a movie like Lincoln or Bridge of Spies, or even War Horse or The Post, and say that's "mailing it in," then I'm not sure what your understanding of that term is. By your own admission his recent films have been above average.

Bridge Of Spies was the last Spielberg flick I saw and I thought it was pretty meh, this kind of looks along the same line. Also kind of seems like another movie under the "Women rule Men Drool" category and there have been too much of those lately.

People didn't like Catch Me If You Can? Spielberg did a great Scorsese impersonation

Disagree.

I don't think most of his work today lives up to his best films of yesteryear, but they're all still very good films that are better than 90% of what everyone else is doing. And by all accounts, The Post is a movie that he was very passionate about making.

If you can watch a movie like Lincoln or Bridge of Spies, or even War Horse or The Post, and say that's "mailing it in," then I'm not sure what your understanding of that term is. By your own admission his recent films have been above average.

He has a checklist for his shots. Everything he does is formulaic now. He can't or won't shoot anything differently to evoke a different response or tone. Lincoln was a very well written script by Kushner. Spielberg is more concerned with his cineamatoghry than the movie itself. His movies are very well shot but more often than not evoke nothing in the audience. As a director, if you can't evoke anything, you failed. Kushner being a playwright, that is all he does in plays. The director who shit 12 Years Slave is in the same vain and i am betting glorifies Spielberg. That movie too is well shot shlock that evokes nothing, which is impressive considering the subjecy material.

Hanks is a great actor. So is Streep. She's also a hypocritical, arrogant cunt, and I refuse to watch anything with her in it.

Unless it's a Snuff Movie;)

Back