Roy Halladay dead?

I was never a Phillies fan, never been a Jays fan... and normally when famous athletes die or famous celebrities I am one of the "well, I feel bad for their family but this doesn't impact me much" and then move on.

This one though, I feel like Micky Ward hit me in the liver and then followed it with an uppercut straight up the middle to my solar plexus.

Really sucks. One of the best Jays of all time, one of the best ambassadors for the game, and all around great human being.

RIP.

RIP, terrible news. I remember exactly where I was when I watched him throw his no-no in the playoffs.

RIP Roy Halladay. Roy was a great pitcher, its too bad he never won the World Series and to die this young is just tragic.

I got to meet him a few times, super nice guy from what I remember

RIP Roy

wow. sucks. RIP Roy

"I've been dreaming about flying since I was a boy but was only able to become a pilot once I retired from baseball," Halladay said in the article. "I've owned other aircraft, but no aircraft embodies the adventure or captured the dream of flying like the A5. Not only is it the safest and easiest aircraft I've ever flown, it is hands-down the most fun. The beaches, lakes, and waterways my family and I get to explore around Florida are mind-blowing. Words don't do justice to what the A5 allows us to experience. Even my wife, who used to be uncomfortable in small planes, now asks where we should take the A5 for the weekend. I'm honored to own the first A5 Founders Edition."

RIP. Dude was a fuckin beast. I remember his no hitter in the yoffs like it was yesterday. I was supposed to work on some important group project, and I showed up waaay late because of it. I walk in and there's a ton of people there, including the professor. They're staring at me and I'm all hyped and say "duuude Halladay just threw a no hitter!!!". Fuckin nerds had no idea what I was talking about, but I didn't give a shit, that game was incredible

He was a HOF level pitcher and even a better person.

RIP

the video on TMZ of the dumbass clowns on a boat that went to the crash is epically stupid.

endless stream of "OMG, bro! OMG!" and a string of "Holy fucking shit!"

I guess no one thought to jump in the water and see if they could pull him out of the wreckage.

Idiots

Wonder how he managed this. The Icon A5 is a interesting little plane... it's like a Jet Ski with wings, mostly for low altitude, recreational piloting. (oddly it's equipped with a parachute, even though under most circumstances not sure how it would help you)

So did he botch the landing? Or lose control and crash? Top speed is only like 100 mph, so quite a bit slower than a Cessna or other small plane.

But yea, if you have a family and some small kids... put the risk behaviors on hold. He'd only owned this plane for a month.

All that said, shit looks pretty fun/cool... and they claim its fairly safe, but just the nature of "low altitude recreational piloting" = dangerous as fuck.

RIP. A definite all time great.

wow. sucks. RIP Roy

"I've been dreaming about flying since I was a boy but was only able to become a pilot once I retired from baseball," Halladay said in the article. "I've owned other aircraft, but no aircraft embodies the adventure or captured the dream of flying like the A5. Not only is it the safest and easiest aircraft I've ever flown, it is hands-down the most fun. The beaches, lakes, and waterways my family and I get to explore around Florida are mind-blowing. Words don't do justice to what the A5 allows us to experience. Even my wife, who used to be uncomfortable in small planes, now asks where we should take the A5 for the weekend. I'm honored to own the first A5 Founders Edition."

Wow speechless.

I was never a Phillies fan, never been a Jays fan... and normally when famous athletes die or famous celebrities I am one of the "well, I feel bad for their family but this doesn't impact me much" and then move on.

This one though, I feel like Micky Ward hit me in the liver and then followed it with an uppercut straight up the middle to my solar plexus.

Why is this worse?

Last edited:
Yeah worse sorry.
Like I said I really don't know.

In fact, being a Mariners fan and enjoying watching the Red Sox play just because fuck the Yankees I shouldn't be a fan of Halladay given he played for the Jays but hearing about someone like him dying just kinda sucked a tad.

I remember going through this when I lived on the East Coast and was a big Yankees fan.
Thurman Munson was as stable as a rock for that team but his passion for flying got him, too.
Terrible tragedy.

Wow RIP. I really liked Halladay in his prime, one of my favorite pitchers in that decade. Didn't throw hard but was ultra efficient and worked deep into games. Cliche but good player better person, very sad

Sounds like the ease of flying the plane made him overconfident of its abilities. There were two employees recently that died flying the plane in a canyon. I think people are probably getting way to confident flying the plane way to low due to the the plane having friendly stall characteristics. Be at 1000 ft is a lot safer than flying low at 100 ft.

Back