Unarmed techniques against knife attackers are stupid

Which video?

Edit: You mean this Fitch Vid? This one?

As an example Its bad, and let me explain why I think so.

Fitch is leaning for a shoot, leading with his face.

Guy with knife:
Feint to body/hand, hook to the head. (stab) Slash to eyes.

Let him duck and shoot for the hand, move it and stab him in the back, cut his throat.

End it before wrestling starts.

When the wrestling did start, he's got Fitch in A guillotine.

No Knee to the Head, no punch to the face to make him turn loose the knife?

This is for War?

Fitch:
Feint shoot, jab to the eyes, punch to the face. Then grab knife, and shove it up his ass.

This is the ARMY's Self Defense for a knife class!!!!

The Army, that means this is for War Fighting, this is for killing not fucking around.

And there's two facets here:

#1 What to do when your unarmed and the other guy's going to kill you with a knife.

#2 If you're down to just your knife how do you kill this fucker quick.

The instructor needs to be coaching both ends and explaining this stuff, Even at level 1.

Maybe they do all this later, (I sure hope so)

But just what we're seeing here, this is not good. Why wait to reveal the stakes here, to introduce feints and strikes?

What's a good way to beat a submission or hold on the ground? Punches, eye gouges, biting.

All's fair in War.

You gotta have face protection so you can play this game correctly.

You gotta be open to understanding the game you're playing here.

You can't choose your opponent, and you can't assume he's a dunski.

That's like assuming you'll be ok in a gunfight cause the other guy's prolly going to miss anyway.

You need to look at as the knife guy too, how do you beat the schmuck trying to take your knife and kill you with it?

And if someone comes up with a more effective way, (some things fencers do) You wanna know that too.

Not trying to be an asshole here, I think maybe you just didn't look closely enough at the vid.
berneydidnotread.gif

unarmed vs gun, impossible to defend, no....likely....no. same goes for unarmed vs knife.

Best method is to kick em in the nuts, chop them in the throat, put them in an arm bar and wait for them to tap or for Herb Dean to run in and push you off.

This is the thing -- if you've trained combat sports for a long time, you've seen hundreds of untrained people step into the gym.

And they're fucking clueless about fighting. About every aspect. From footwork to just basic body movement. I'd feel very confident in winning against 99% of them even if they had a knife.
You would not win against 99% of untrained people.

That number would drop dramatically if these people were holding knives.

You are way too confident, mate.

And yes on knife fighting, all the stuff I see online is mostly rubbish.

All the stance where they use a combination of both hands to block, counter, disarm, etc.

Just train modern fencing mechanics with lunges using quick slashes and recovers, the free hand at the back and no bullshit. No fancy FMA rubbish is going to work against that.

I would actually put my money on any olympic fencer with 1 month of knife fighting against all these FMA types.

Front kick/ teep to the chest and then Sprint away as fast as you can to safety........that's the only realistic thing I see.

By fine do you mean surviving with multiple stabbing wounds? Well yeah sure. There are also many people that survive handgun wounds, but I wouldn't call that "doing fine". Personally, I would rather get out of the situation with just a few cuts in my forearms rather than with multiple 5-inch stab wounds in my torso.

The problem with the unarmed school of thought is that they don't teach these unarmed techniques as an absolute last resort tool, but rather as THE way to deal with a knife attacker. And what's the point of honing so much one skill that you wouldn't even need if you carried and knew how to use a knife in the first place? Would you go out at night trusting only in your hands to save your life? Come on...

I heard one where the loser dies and the winner goes to jail, and frankly I would much rather go to jail than to the morgue.

They are looking at changing the law in the uk to an automatic 5 year jail term if caught carrying a knife.

So obviously most people go out unarmed, it is a problem with youths in this country carrying and using knives.

Learning to defend yourself unarmed against a knife attack is always a benefit. Especially when you can get jailed for carrying in self defence.

I have had a knife pulled on me twice in my life. Most people tend to try and slash you rather than stab you.

Its the difference between gbh and attempted murder.

Ive defended a knife attack succesfully with only minor cuts ot my forearms and he was actually trying to stab me. Unarmed self defence is always useful and i would say even more so in the uk over the usa because of the difference in weapon control laws.

Good god I hate knives. And I hate how TV and movies make it look like fighting with an open wound is no biggie.

The first thing the instructors told us in boot camp was, “Accept that you are going to get stabbed and/or cut. Just make sure your opponent does so first.”

No thank you. I’m either running or shooting.

I've seen some absolutely nasty cuts inflicted on people via some random kitchen knife. Had one dude who took a slash across the face and you could see directly through his nose into his nasal cavity.

I think there is a big difference between knife attacks though. There is the person who grabs a knife, postures with it first and threatens to stab you vs the knife you never see coming and the repeated stabs.

The problem with the unarmed school of thought is that they don't teach these unarmed techniques as an absolute last resort tool, but rather as THE way to deal with a knife attacker. And what's the point of honing so much one skill that you wouldn't even need if you carried and knew how to use a knife in the first place? Would you go out at night trusting only in your hands to save your life? Come on....
But what if you can't use a knife? In the UK where I'm from you don't have a choice to carry a knife to defend yourself so you'd have to rely on unarmed defence techniques.

I've seen some absolutely nasty cuts inflicted on people via some random kitchen knife. Had one dude who took a slash across the face and you could see directly through his nose into his nasal cavity.

I think there is a big difference between knife attacks though. There is the person who grabs a knife, postures with it first and threatens to stab you vs the knife you never see coming and the repeated stabs.
Yeah the ones who tried to keep it concealed until the last moment when they attack are the dangerous ones.

Unarmed vs. Knives is highly risky but this doesn't mean that it shouldn't be trained. You can't just run all the time. What if you're in a room or on the metro, etc.? Any kind of training would help. Certain types of training are better than others. I train my students both unarmed vs. knife and knife vs. knife, etc.

It is very possible, once you get good at it. Still risky as hell, but nobody who trains this is going to just run straight towards someone with a knife if they clearly had options to retreat.

Back