THE PUNISHER Netflix Series (Season 2 Premiering Jan. 2019)

If you have seen THE PUNISHER season one, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my mother who abhors violence of any kind to the point watching LOTR she'll cover her face when someone threatens a goddamn orc with a blade to the throat.... fucking loves the character The Punisher and can't wait for this to come out.

She loves the Jane movie and though the Stevenson version sucks she loves the part where his Punisher drops the parkour guys with an RPG and throws the last one off the roof onto that metal fence.

giphy.gif

Update: November 12, 2017

First Critics Review for Marvel's THE PUNISHER on Netflix

xYFNDJU.jpg

Collider
The Punisher is riveting, politically adventurous entertainment, willing to get mired in the complexity of a nation that has come to define itself through the incalculable damage and untold amounts of killings done in the name of peace. When the need to set-up, reiterate, or preempt the plot becomes its more prominent concern, however, it’s emblematic of everything wrong with comic-book adaptations, on TV or elsewhere.

The Daily Dot
Netflix released all 13 episodes to critics, and despite strong performances from Bernthal, Walcott and Moss-Bachrach (Micro), it was a slog to reach the end. I found myself thinking back to Person of Interest, which did a better job with similar material. Its main characters were an ex-CIA vigilante and his hacker partner, battling shadowy enemies in the military-industrial complex. Even in the framework of a formulaic CBS crime show, it was more satisfying than Marvel’s attempt at serious long-form drama.

Forbes
The Punisher is the show Marvel Television needed. It’s the show that proves there might just be hope yet for the studio’s small screen ambitions. And yes, if we’re judging purely on the act of transforming into a character, Bernthal absolutely deserves an Emmy nomination for this one. His performance has been far elevated from the days of Daredevil.

Indie Wire
For a show which seemed, given the timing of its launch, to be so controversial, its most controversial element is its lack of controversy. Frank Castle does some bad things, but nothing as bad as what happens in America on a regular basis. As a narrative about veterans trying to find their place in the world, “The Punisher” has something to say. But it could have been so much shorter, and its placement in the Marvel universe feels tangential at best.

Polygon
The Punisher’s first episode is sleepy and repetitive; nothing in it is anything we didn’t see in the second season of Daredevil. Along those same lines, The fifth and sixth episodes already drag more than the others, an indication of the usual mid-season Netflix slump. But at least Punisher’s repetitive beginning is part of the first narratively necessary step in the show’s plot: moving the goalpost on Frank’s revenge.

Uproxx
It’s a conundrum: The Punisher is most effective when its title character is indiscriminately slaughtering his foes, but that’s also when it most consistently evokes the kinds of real-life horrors that pushed the premiere back once, and could have kept pushing it back indefinitely. There may hopefully be a time when Frank’s actions don’t instantly recall horrors from our world, but that version of his story will still need to be told much more compellingly than this.

The Wrap
I almost want to declare the existence of this “Punisher” show a miracle. I don’t know, really, what I was expecting from it, because from the moment it was announced it didn’t really feel like it fit with the other Marvel shows on Netflix. And aside from a few appearances by Karen Page (Deborah Ann Woll) and a couple cameos by very minor characters from other shows, it really does just go its own way. And thank the Lord for that, because I like watching legitimately good TV shows. And “The Punisher,” somehow, is legitimately good.

Variety
In all, “The Punisher” is not just satisfying but surprising — an interpretation of Netflix and Marvel’s tried-and-true partnership that offers more depth and challenges to the audience than even the gritty world of “Marvel’s Jessica Jones.” Free from superpowers and superheroes, the Marvel universe is more forgiving — and more interesting. Of course, the slightly cartoony Marvel Cinematic Universe is still a world where people named Carson Wolf show up and act as if they are not obviously villains. But “The Punisher’s” place in it is a welcome morass of thorny questions and unresolvable answers. At least in this part of the television landscape, there is room for another antihero.

IGN
At the end of the day, for hardcore fans of the character, The Punisher is bound to offer a better experience than the three failed big screen adaptations. But those looking for more escapism in their superhero storytelling might be better off revisiting the other equally dark but less dour Marvel/Netflix shows.

We Got This Covered
Marvel’s The Punisher did an excellent job reintroducing us to an iconic character, with the help of a brilliant performance from Jon Bernthal. While some of the supporting cast members are less memorable, there is still plenty of time for more character development down the road.

Total Film
Frank begins the 13-episode run alone and assuming a new identity; but it’s when he starts to open up that the man behind the scope begins to emerge. The show may not be to everyone’s tastes – fans may expect something more visceral, despite the fair amount of gore - I just sincerely hope people are patient with it and let the show develop, despite its odd missteps. It’s left me wanting more of The Punisher before even any of The Defenders return – and I’m eager to see what Frank does next.

The First Reviews For The Punisher Are Here - What's The Verdict On Marvel's Latest TV Series?

Sounds like EVERY other Marvel Netflix show. It has its own theme, has its own pacing, and its own story. All summed up, it may not be for everyone.

Will watch, and will enjoy.

Hmmm, sounds like they got the tone right but the execution left something to be desired.

I don't really want to hear that Person of Interest did this material better than a Punisher show, though...

Update: November 12, 2017

First Critics Review for Marvel's THE PUNISHER on Netflix

xYFNDJU.jpg

Collider
The Punisher is riveting, politically adventurous entertainment, willing to get mired in the complexity of a nation that has come to define itself through the incalculable damage and untold amounts of killings done in the name of peace. When the need to set-up, reiterate, or preempt the plot becomes its more prominent concern, however, it’s emblematic of everything wrong with comic-book adaptations, on TV or elsewhere.

The Daily Dot
Netflix released all 13 episodes to critics, and despite strong performances from Bernthal, Walcott and Moss-Bachrach (Micro), it was a slog to reach the end. I found myself thinking back to Person of Interest, which did a better job with similar material. Its main characters were an ex-CIA vigilante and his hacker partner, battling shadowy enemies in the military-industrial complex. Even in the framework of a formulaic CBS crime show, it was more satisfying than Marvel’s attempt at serious long-form drama.

Forbes
The Punisher is the show Marvel Television needed. It’s the show that proves there might just be hope yet for the studio’s small screen ambitions. And yes, if we’re judging purely on the act of transforming into a character, Bernthal absolutely deserves an Emmy nomination for this one. His performance has been far elevated from the days of Daredevil.

Indie Wire
For a show which seemed, given the timing of its launch, to be so controversial, its most controversial element is its lack of controversy. Frank Castle does some bad things, but nothing as bad as what happens in America on a regular basis. As a narrative about veterans trying to find their place in the world, “The Punisher” has something to say. But it could have been so much shorter, and its placement in the Marvel universe feels tangential at best.

Polygon
The Punisher’s first episode is sleepy and repetitive; nothing in it is anything we didn’t see in the second season of Daredevil. Along those same lines, The fifth and sixth episodes already drag more than the others, an indication of the usual mid-season Netflix slump. But at least Punisher’s repetitive beginning is part of the first narratively necessary step in the show’s plot: moving the goalpost on Frank’s revenge.

Uproxx
It’s a conundrum: The Punisher is most effective when its title character is indiscriminately slaughtering his foes, but that’s also when it most consistently evokes the kinds of real-life horrors that pushed the premiere back once, and could have kept pushing it back indefinitely. There may hopefully be a time when Frank’s actions don’t instantly recall horrors from our world, but that version of his story will still need to be told much more compellingly than this.

The Wrap
I almost want to declare the existence of this “Punisher” show a miracle. I don’t know, really, what I was expecting from it, because from the moment it was announced it didn’t really feel like it fit with the other Marvel shows on Netflix. And aside from a few appearances by Karen Page (Deborah Ann Woll) and a couple cameos by very minor characters from other shows, it really does just go its own way. And thank the Lord for that, because I like watching legitimately good TV shows. And “The Punisher,” somehow, is legitimately good.

Variety
In all, “The Punisher” is not just satisfying but surprising — an interpretation of Netflix and Marvel’s tried-and-true partnership that offers more depth and challenges to the audience than even the gritty world of “Marvel’s Jessica Jones.” Free from superpowers and superheroes, the Marvel universe is more forgiving — and more interesting. Of course, the slightly cartoony Marvel Cinematic Universe is still a world where people named Carson Wolf show up and act as if they are not obviously villains. But “The Punisher’s” place in it is a welcome morass of thorny questions and unresolvable answers. At least in this part of the television landscape, there is room for another antihero.

IGN
At the end of the day, for hardcore fans of the character, The Punisher is bound to offer a better experience than the three failed big screen adaptations. But those looking for more escapism in their superhero storytelling might be better off revisiting the other equally dark but less dour Marvel/Netflix shows.

We Got This Covered
Marvel’s The Punisher did an excellent job reintroducing us to an iconic character, with the help of a brilliant performance from Jon Bernthal. While some of the supporting cast members are less memorable, there is still plenty of time for more character development down the road.

Total Film
Frank begins the 13-episode run alone and assuming a new identity; but it’s when he starts to open up that the man behind the scope begins to emerge. The show may not be to everyone’s tastes – fans may expect something more visceral, despite the fair amount of gore - I just sincerely hope people are patient with it and let the show develop, despite its odd missteps. It’s left me wanting more of The Punisher before even any of The Defenders return – and I’m eager to see what Frank does next.

The First Reviews For The Punisher Are Here - What's The Verdict On Marvel's Latest TV Series?

6dRqYCS.png

Sounds like EVERY other Marvel Netflix show. It has its own theme, has its own pacing, and its own story. All summed up, it may not be for everyone.

Will watch, and will enjoy.

This is exactly the vibe I was getting from the mixed reviews and I will probably enjoy it as well.

Said it before, and I’ll say it again, I think they made a big mistake sending Frank against faceless mercenaries. Should have gone up against the mob.

Easier to build up villains that way on every level.

No one cares about killing guys with headgear on.

I’ll be pissed if his family was killed due to a “hit” being taken out against them.

Said it before, and I’ll say it again, I think they made a big mistake sending Frank against faceless mercenaries. Should have gone up against the mob.

Easier to build up villains that way on every level.

No one cares about killing guys with headgear on.

I’ll be pissed if his family was killed due to a “hit” being taken out against them.

I think the Mob and Christians In Action will turn out to be in bed with one another. This looks like it's borrowing heavily from In The Beginning and Up is Down and Black is White, in which rogue CIA officers help the Mafia to sell drugs.

I think the Mob and Christians In Action will turn out to be in bed with one another. This looks like it's borrowing heavily from In The Beginning and Up is Down and Black is White, in which rogue CIA officers help the Mafia to sell drugs.

I hope so.

I just wish we got Nicky Cavallo, Pitsy and Ink. Just follow Ennis and I’ll be happy.

I’m ready. Let’s get this thing going. Even gonna skip Justice League for it.

I hope so.

I just wish we got Nicky Cavallo, Pitsy and Ink. Just follow Ennis and I’ll be happy.

Just give me The Slavers for season 3...

Later on she told me everything.

About the day she left her village. About the Old Man, Cristu and Vera.

That thing her father said.

About her baby.

When she was done, I knew a lot of men would have to die:cool:

This is one time I don't give a fuck about reviews. Jon fucking Bernthal is playing the motherfucking Punisher. Shut the fuck up and take my money, Netflix:cool:

I bought this bad boy last Friday. I'll be wearing it while I watch the show.

index.jpg

Is that from the Grimm Adventures of Billy & Mandy? And does the Punisher like that show?

The Punisher is a GGG fan, pretty fitting. Bernthal was a former boxer apparently.

DFiSW4vXgAAY90I.jpg
Wonder where he got the hat.

Bernthal's a cool guy. He talked about treating the role of the Punsiher seriously because, "Men with that symbol(the skull)on their gear have gone into battle for our country. Have died for our country. I have to respect that".

Chris Kyle and his SEAL Team were big Punisher fans and wore the Skull:cool:
Tons of Marines use it too is my understanding.

As to the reviews I think it's funny how the ones from the more... ahem.... left side of the political spectrum bitched more about it than those in the middle.

Wonder where he got the hat.

Tons of Marines use it too is my understanding.

As to the reviews I think it's funny how the ones from the more... ahem.... left side of the political spectrum bitched more about it than those in the middle.

There was a thread about who was the better vigilante hero, Batman or the Punisher. One of the ex-Marines who posts on here said, "I saw a lot of guys in my unit with the Punisher's skull on their gear. I never saw any Marine wearing the Bat symbol".

Not surprising of course since in almost every version of the story, the Punisher is an ex-Marine, usually Marine Recon.

As long as Karen is just eye candy and not central to the plot, I'm sure I'll like it just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back