THE PUNISHER Netflix Series (Season 2 Premiering Jan. 2019)

If you have seen THE PUNISHER season one, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As to the reviews I think it's funny how the ones from the more... ahem.... left side of the political spectrum bitched more about it than those in the middle.

Definitely noticed that about this first batch of reviews. Oh, you mean fucking Polygon didn't like The Punisher?!?!
Well, color me surprised.
<TheWire1>

@Dragonlordxxxxx the clip that shows Frank teaching his daughter how to play guitar, we hear him say,

We swear to avenge them

No joy shall be tasted

The harp shall be silent

The maiden unwed

Our halls will be mute

And our fields shall lie wasted

'Til vengence is wreaked

On the murderer's head.

Any idea who or what Frank is quoting? The lines about harps and halls make me think of Celtic or perhaps Viking myth...

There was a thread about who was the better vigilante hero, Batman or the Punisher. One of the ex-Marines who posts on here said, "I saw a lot of guys in my unit with the Punisher's skull on their gear. I never saw any Marine wearing the Bat symbol".

Not surprising of course since in almost every version of the story, the Punisher is an ex-Marine, usually Marine Recon.

Also because Frank terminates bad guys with extreme prejudice....

@Dragonlordxxxxx the clip that shows Frank teaching his daughter how to play guitar, we hear him say,

We swear to avenge them

No joy shall be tasted

The harp shall be silent

The maiden unwed

Our halls will be mute

'Til vengence is wreaked

On the murderer's head.

Any idea who or what Frank is quoting? The lines about harps and halls make me think of Celtic or perhaps Viking myth...
Did some googling and it seems it's from a poem by Irish poet Thomas Moore - "Avenging and Bright."

Avenging and bright fall the swift sword of Erin
On him who the brave sons of Usna betray'd! --
For every fond eye he hath waken'd a tear in
A drop from his heart-wounds shall weep o'er her blade.

By the red cloud that hung over Conor's dark dwelling,
When Ulad's three champions lay sleeping in gore --
By the billows of war, which so often, high swelling,,
Have wafted these heroes to victory's shore --

We swear to avenge them! -- no joy shall be tasted,
The harp shall be silent, the maiden unwed,
Our halls shall be mute, and our fields shall lie wasted,
Till vengeance is wreak'd on the murderer's head.

Yes, monarch! though sweet are our home recollections,
Though sweet are the tears that from tenderness fall;
Though sweet are our friendships, our hopes, our affections,
Revenge on a tyrant is sweetest of all!

Update: November 12, 2017

First Critics Review for Marvel's THE PUNISHER on Netflix

xYFNDJU.jpg

Collider
The Punisher is riveting, politically adventurous entertainment, willing to get mired in the complexity of a nation that has come to define itself through the incalculable damage and untold amounts of killings done in the name of peace. When the need to set-up, reiterate, or preempt the plot becomes its more prominent concern, however, it’s emblematic of everything wrong with comic-book adaptations, on TV or elsewhere.

The Daily Dot
Netflix released all 13 episodes to critics, and despite strong performances from Bernthal, Walcott and Moss-Bachrach (Micro), it was a slog to reach the end. I found myself thinking back to Person of Interest, which did a better job with similar material. Its main characters were an ex-CIA vigilante and his hacker partner, battling shadowy enemies in the military-industrial complex. Even in the framework of a formulaic CBS crime show, it was more satisfying than Marvel’s attempt at serious long-form drama.

Forbes
The Punisher is the show Marvel Television needed. It’s the show that proves there might just be hope yet for the studio’s small screen ambitions. And yes, if we’re judging purely on the act of transforming into a character, Bernthal absolutely deserves an Emmy nomination for this one. His performance has been far elevated from the days of Daredevil.

Indie Wire
For a show which seemed, given the timing of its launch, to be so controversial, its most controversial element is its lack of controversy. Frank Castle does some bad things, but nothing as bad as what happens in America on a regular basis. As a narrative about veterans trying to find their place in the world, “The Punisher” has something to say. But it could have been so much shorter, and its placement in the Marvel universe feels tangential at best.

Polygon
The Punisher’s first episode is sleepy and repetitive; nothing in it is anything we didn’t see in the second season of Daredevil. Along those same lines, The fifth and sixth episodes already drag more than the others, an indication of the usual mid-season Netflix slump. But at least Punisher’s repetitive beginning is part of the first narratively necessary step in the show’s plot: moving the goalpost on Frank’s revenge.

Uproxx
It’s a conundrum: The Punisher is most effective when its title character is indiscriminately slaughtering his foes, but that’s also when it most consistently evokes the kinds of real-life horrors that pushed the premiere back once, and could have kept pushing it back indefinitely. There may hopefully be a time when Frank’s actions don’t instantly recall horrors from our world, but that version of his story will still need to be told much more compellingly than this.

The Wrap
I almost want to declare the existence of this “Punisher” show a miracle. I don’t know, really, what I was expecting from it, because from the moment it was announced it didn’t really feel like it fit with the other Marvel shows on Netflix. And aside from a few appearances by Karen Page (Deborah Ann Woll) and a couple cameos by very minor characters from other shows, it really does just go its own way. And thank the Lord for that, because I like watching legitimately good TV shows. And “The Punisher,” somehow, is legitimately good.

Variety
In all, “The Punisher” is not just satisfying but surprising — an interpretation of Netflix and Marvel’s tried-and-true partnership that offers more depth and challenges to the audience than even the gritty world of “Marvel’s Jessica Jones.” Free from superpowers and superheroes, the Marvel universe is more forgiving — and more interesting. Of course, the slightly cartoony Marvel Cinematic Universe is still a world where people named Carson Wolf show up and act as if they are not obviously villains. But “The Punisher’s” place in it is a welcome morass of thorny questions and unresolvable answers. At least in this part of the television landscape, there is room for another antihero.

IGN
At the end of the day, for hardcore fans of the character, The Punisher is bound to offer a better experience than the three failed big screen adaptations. But those looking for more escapism in their superhero storytelling might be better off revisiting the other equally dark but less dour Marvel/Netflix shows.

We Got This Covered
Marvel’s The Punisher did an excellent job reintroducing us to an iconic character, with the help of a brilliant performance from Jon Bernthal. While some of the supporting cast members are less memorable, there is still plenty of time for more character development down the road.

Total Film
Frank begins the 13-episode run alone and assuming a new identity; but it’s when he starts to open up that the man behind the scope begins to emerge. The show may not be to everyone’s tastes – fans may expect something more visceral, despite the fair amount of gore - I just sincerely hope people are patient with it and let the show develop, despite its odd missteps. It’s left me wanting more of The Punisher before even any of The Defenders return – and I’m eager to see what Frank does next.

The First Reviews For The Punisher Are Here - What's The Verdict On Marvel's Latest TV Series?
Hmmmm im gonna watch cause I love The Punisher, but these mixed reviews have raised my levels of worry regarding Netflix' approach to these Marvel series.The more gritty, serious style was a welcome divergence from the films at first, but now they are just as engrained in the generic storytelling and generic plot devices as the movies are.

We'll see, but thats kind of what im expecting unfortunately.

Sounds like they have the same issues of all of the other Marvel Netflix shows. Their seasons are too long. I don't know why they don't cut down from 13 episodes to like 8-10 depending on the material.

My punisher shirt is a flak jacket that I acquired.

<OKC16>

Did some googling and it seems it's from a poem by Irish poet Thomas Moore - "Avenging and Bright."

Avenging and bright fall the swift sword of Erin
On him who the brave sons of Usna betray'd! --
For every fond eye he hath waken'd a tear in
A drop from his heart-wounds shall weep o'er her blade.

By the red cloud that hung over Conor's dark dwelling,
When Ulad's three champions lay sleeping in gore --
By the billows of war, which so often, high swelling,,
Have wafted these heroes to victory's shore --

We swear to avenge them! -- no joy shall be tasted,
The harp shall be silent, the maiden unwed,
Our halls shall be mute, and our fields shall lie wasted,
Till vengeance is wreak'd on the murderer's head.

Yes, monarch! though sweet are our home recollections,
Though sweet are the tears that from tenderness fall;
Though sweet are our friendships, our hopes, our affections,
Revenge on a tyrant is sweetest of all!

Thank you, DL. Good work:cool:

As I said, the line, the Harp shall be silent made me think of Celtic legend. The Minstrel Boy is a famous Irish song, and was a particular favourite of Scots- Irish who fought in the Civil War. It includes the lines,

The Minstrel Boy to the Wars has gone
In the ranks of Death you'll find him
His father's Sword he has girded on
And his wild Harp slung behind him!

"Land of Song", vowed the warrior Bard
"Though all the world betrays thee
One Sword still thy rights will guard
One wild Harp still will praise thee!"

Last edited:
IBA, I got a kevlar too.
Plates too (for the IBA)? Neck and groin protectors? Woodland or coyote brown?
Is the kevlar the old PASGT with 1 strap or the lightweight helmet with the plastic buckle and better protection?

Plates too (for the IBA)? Neck and groin protectors? Woodland or coyote brown?
Is the kevlar the old PASGT with 1 strap or the lightweight helmet with the plastic buckle and better protection?

Neck and groin, I have plates but they are too big to fit. They weren't the normal plates that were issued.

Lightweight one with the plastic buckle.

We swear to avenge them

No joy shall be tasted

The harp shall be silent

The maiden unwed

Our halls will be mute

'Til vengence is wreaked

On the murderer's head.

http://www.musicanet.org/robokopp/eire/avenging.htm

google, yo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back