45x10
75x8
95x6
115x5
135x5
145x5
150x5
145x5

Let's call this 145 for 3x5 and go from there.

- DB rows
25x10
50x10
80x10
80x10
80x10

Forearms were burning.

Fri Sept 15, 2017

Conditioning

- Treadmill: 12 minutes
- Elliptical: 10 minutes
- Treadmill: 10 minutes

Average HR 135, peak 148. Wanted to use the stairmill but they were all in use. My lungs felt okay but legs were burning a bit. First hockey game of the season on Sunday, should be interesting. I'll probably be dead by the third period.

Official post-vacation weight is 226. We ate pretty well, lots of BBQ'ed meat and veggies but also too much beer and snacks. My goal for the rest of 2017 is to get under 220 which I will consider a success if I weigh under 220 for 3 days in a row.

Sun Sept 17, 2017

Hockey
First game of the season. I definitely felt.a bit rusty since it's been almost two months since I last played. Being out of shape didn't help either! That said, I had an alright game and seemed to get a.second wind in the third period.

It was a.close game with both teams trading goals. Late in the third period we were down 5-4 when I picked up a loose puck to the side of our opponents net. I turned toward the back of the net and then chipped the puck to the front of the net where a winger knocked it home for the tying goal.

The guy who scored the tying goal was new to the team and had a hat trick so he is a good addition. Our other new player was on defense and seems solid too. I think our team has.improved a bit this season.

Thurs Sept 21, 2017

Conditioning

- Treadmill: 8 minutes. Was going to do intervals but it gets frustrating with how slowly the treadmill speeds up so I switched.
- C2 rower: 110m (about 22-24 seconds), 40 seconds rest x13

I think I used to do 110m in more like 19-20 seconds but not surprisingly I'm slower now. My FitBit didn't seem to like the intervals and read around 125-130 BPM the entire time despite the fact that manual measurements put it around 155-165 after each interval.

Wed Sept 27, 2017

Conditioning

Warmed up on the treadmill then did intervals on the rower. 100m on (20-22 seconds), 40 seconds rest. 18 intervals. Right knee was a bit achy after.

Sun Oct 2, 2017

Hockey
We had 3 full forward lines so my cardio felt pretty good. We slowly built up a 5-0 lead in the first half of the game and then our opponents seemed to give up. I think they had a substitute goalie and he wasn't very good.

So the second half of the game was pretty low intensity. I needed a game like this because I got lots of time with the puck and worked the rust off. I picked up my first goal of the season. It was good for the team as a whole too I think.

Wed Oct 11, 2017

Hockey
A rare Wednesday game. The other team was missing their goalie and a.few.players at first so we built up an easy 3-0 lead in the first period.

The missing skaters were their better players so when they, and the goalie, arrived it totally changed the flow of the game. In the first period we were aggressive, skating and passing well. In the latter half of the game we backed off.and started being timid and it cost us the game.

They slowly clawed their way back, eventually winning 7-5. I played wing and had a pretty good game. I find wing can be a bit frustrating at times.because I have to choose between playing my position or chasing down someone that another player should be covering. I had a couple good scoring chances but finished but a couple assists.

And yeah I haven't been to the gym in a while. I've been extremely busy and this week am out of the office on training. My GoodLife membership has expired so next week I'll be looking at the gym that is in my building. It should make it easier to run down for a quick workout. I just hope their equipment doesn't suck.

Wed Oct 18, 2017

First time at my new gym, the gym in my office building. It's pretty small but has the bare minimum:

1 squat rack
1 smith machine (with hooks on the outside so you can squat/bench/OHP from it)
2 barbells
510 lb in loose plates
DBs up to 100 lb
treadmills
ellipticals
recumbent bikes
various machines
big cardio/aerobics area

Plus they have a variety of misc things like foam rollers, medicine balls, kettlebells, bands, aerobics risers etc. The guy who did my orientation said that the gym is basically empty between 9-11am and 1-4pm. Today I was there from 2:15-3:00 and there were 5 total people there during that time.

I'm not sure how much weight I can fit on the barbells since they only have four 45 lb plates. I'm thinking I can fit around 400 lb which is fine as long as no one else wants some big plates. I'll be happy if my deadlift gets strong enough again so that this becomes an issue.

Today's work...

Treadmill, dynamic stretching

- Squats
45x8
65x5
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x5
155x5

Holy shit are my shoulders and chest tight.

- Facepulls: 4x15, 17.5 lb
- Dead bug twists: 3x10/side
- Rear delt flies: 3x15, 5 lb

Did some hip mobility work as well.

Kinda shitty that they don't have stairmill or a C2 buy for cardio I'll have to make do with treadmill/elliptical circuits.

Sun Oct 22, 2017

Hockey
Taking on the first place team. We jumped out to an early lead, scoring twice in the first few minutes. Both teams had chances but we buried ours and ended the first period up 4-0.

In the second period the tide turned as our opponents had a few skaters arrive late. They picked up the pace and by the end of the second period had tied it up 4-4.

In the third period my team was obviously getting tired and our opponents continued to apply the pressure. They were simply the better, faster team and continued to score. The final score was 9-4.

We can't feel too bad about this game because they are the first place team and are undefeated. We we're also missing some skaters so I think with a full bench we could have put up more of a fight.

I had an okay game but had to fill in on wing. I think I'm more effective at center but we we're short wingers and the extra rest was nice. I had an assist in the first period and a few chances in the second. I can at least say I was only on the ice for a couple goals against.

Mon Oct 23, 2017

Treadmill, dynamic stretching

- Squats
45x8
65x5
95x5
115x5
135x5
160x5
160x5

-DB Bench
20x10
30x10
40x10
45x8
45x8

- DB Rows
25x10
50x10
75x10
75x10

Someone was using the squat rack so I squatted from the smith machine hooks. It was fine though I have to be a bit more careful re-racking.

Thurs Oct 26, 2017

Elliptical, dynamic stretching

- Deadlifts
45x10
135x5
165x3
195x3
225x2
255x1
275x1
295x1x6 (singles)

Felt good, didn't push it too hard. Looking at the plates on the bar I think I can fit 2x45, 2x35, 2x25 on one side so including the bar that's 465 which would be an all-time PR for me. So there's my long-term deadlift goal. Short-term is pull 405 again. Based on my last deadlift session at GoodLife my max is around 350 so maybe I can hit 405 sometime in the Winter.

- Machine rows
45x10
60x10
75x10
90x10
105x10
112x10
120x10
120x10

Finished with some hip mobility work.

Are you still playing downtown Toronto? DMHL?
Some of my friends are trying to get me to join but I hate the late weeknight games

Also, haven't seen a beer review in a while

I play with True North hockey, most games are at Rinx up near Yorkdale. I play Sundays so the times are decent, though this week our game is at 10:15 so I'll be skipping it.

Yeah haven't tried a lot of new beer lately. I drink a lot less these days. I got some new beer for my son's birthday (he doesn't need more toys but I can always use beer, lol) so I should comment on them.

Wed Nov 1, 2017

Conditioning

Warmed up with 5 minutes on the elliptical and 3 minutes on the C2. Then did 18 intervals on the C2, 100m (~20 seconds) on, 40 seconds rest. Walked on the treadmill for a few minutes too cool down.

Average HR 138, Peak 159.

Last edited:
Fri Nov 3, 2017

Conditioning

- Treadmill: 17 minutes
- Elliptical: 15 minutes

Average HR 135, peak 144. Cooled down with some lower body mobility and facepulls, 4x15.

I have a good hockey schedule coming up and get to play at least 3 weeks in a row. Then we have another bye week which is kinda bullshit since we specifically sign up to play on Sundays and will probably get a make-up game on a weeknight.

Sun Nov 5, 2017

Hockey
Played the first place team and it was a fast paced game. The first period was scoreless until the last minute when our opponents scored however we responded and scored to tie it 1-1 with two seconds left in the period.

In the second period we started getting a few more shots on goal and they started going in so we built up in 4-1 lead. I realized at this point that I probably wasn't going to score this week as it was tough keeping up with then pace so I decided to focus on defense, and shadowing our opponents top players.

In the third our opponents got frustrated and too a bunch of penalties. We kept up the pressure and after trading goals we win the game 5-2.

As mentioned, I had no points but felt like I played one of my better games defensively. The last time we played this team their top couple guys used their speed to keep us on our heels but we did a good job of shutting them down. My line wasn't in the ice for any goals against.

Of course I need to improve my conditioning because it kinda suck to have to choose between going hard on offense or defense but not both.

Tues Nov 7, 2017

Conditioning

Warmed up for 5 minutes on the elliptical and 3 minutes on the C2. Then did 2000m on the C2, took 8:33. I was aiming for under 9:00 so that's good but over 8:00 isn't really that great in the grand scheme of things. Followed that up with 10 intervals, 100m on, 40 seconds off. Then walked on a treadmill to cool down.

Thurs Nov 9, 2017

Conditioning

Treadmill: 8 minutes
C2: 9 minutes
Elliptical: 18 minutes
Total: 35 minutes

My HR got up to 150 BPM on the C2 but my FitBit was showing 100, I think the jostling was preventing it from getting a good reading. Anyway, I think my average HR was around 130-135 but it showed as 118.

Sun Nov 12, 2017

Hockey
We had a competitive and fast-paced game this week. Our opponents were missing some of their better players earlier in the season and got blown out multiple times. For this game they had their full line-up and were a lot tougher.

I think we were caught off guard so we fell behind 2-0 midway through the game. At the end of the second I scored on a sweet slapshot and that woke us up a bit. In the third period the game continued at a good pace as we traded goals, ending up at 3-3. Both teams had their chances and unfortunately with a few minutes to go we gave up a breakaway to their top player who buried the game winner.

I had a good game, with the one goal and a bunch of chances. They were a pretty rough team and I was pretty aggressive, getting dumped numerous times for my effort. At some point I must have jarred my left shoulder because it is pretty sore now. Probably just needs some rest.

Thurs Nov 16, 2017

Conditioning

Walked for about 3 minutes on the treadmill and then jogged 5K. I should have restarted the timer when I started the jogging portion but I didn't so the entire thing was just over 39 minutes. I think the 5k was about 36 minutes. Average HR was 138 BPM, peak 155 BPM as I increased the speed for the last half KM.

I've decided to set some conditioning goals that I want to hit before going to back to regular lifting. So far I have:

* Run 5k in under 30 minutes with average HR around 140 BPM
* Row 2000m in under 8:00 minutes

I guess getting my weight under 215 can count as the 3rd goal, since it feels like I should have three goals. Current weight bounces between 223 and 225 lb.

Back