First human head transplant scheduled for December (long read warming)

Seems like the kind of stuff that the Nazis were pulling.

Yeah litteraly pulling heads.

I say I am okay with this in the context of Science I really am, as I don't have any moral objections nor religious reasons.

But I will say this is gruesome !

Can we put the head of Demetrious Johnson on a normal body and have him fight Jon Jones? I've got questions and stuff.

Or Better put Demetrios head on Jones!

So its Jon Joneson

Fuck this!

walk_out_with_my_dog_by_12_tf-d6r7z9m.jpg

He did a Ted talk. He also claims to have cut off a monkey’s head and attached it to a new body, though they did not connect the spinal cord. And the only proof is a photograph. He’s against peer-reviewed research and seems to think he should be free to chop and attach heads at will. I feel sorry for his Chinese victim, er, patient. I think the guy is a nut.

Who is he getting the body from? They kind of gloss over that in the article. Some Chinese national is losing their head. A condemned criminal?

I think it's interesting. Certainly most major medical advancements were met with doubt by the medical community. Hell, these are the people who at one time thought washing your hands was ridiculous. So fuck them I say go for it. The patient probably has a pathetic quality of life anyways with nothing to really lose. If it's successful that's great, if not it's something to learn from.

Shouldn't this be called a body-transplant instead of a head-transplant?

Thank

"In theory, a disembodied head could survive in suspended animation, staying alive with blood from the donor body but incapable of controlling any bodily function—and in incredible pain, says Jerry Silver, a professor of neurosciences at Case Western Reserve University in Ohio who has spent his career seeking a cure for paralysis. The head will have a “miserable existence,” where it won’t be able to breathe or control its own heart rate—a fate far worse than being a quadriplegic. The head’s windpipe would be attached to a respirator, so it could be ventilated, and it could remain alive like that for days."

And this dude said "Fuck it, let's cut him up"

joker.gif

Do any betting sites have a line on this? What's the over under for lives/Dies?

I The patient probably has a pathetic quality of life anyways with nothing to really lose. If it's successful that's great, if not it's something to learn from.

We don’t know anything about the patient, do we? In the photo he is standing on his own, so it is safe to say his quality of life is about to dramatically decrease (before his predictable death.)

The chance of success is 0. The thing about other bold medical advances is that they were performed successfully in animals before humans. For example, heart transplants were successfully completed in dogs before the first human transplant.

In this case, the only prior examples done in animals led to death, and no motor function. Head transplants have been done, but only to the point of barely keeping the brain alive for a brief time. Never has a spinal cord been demonstrated to have been reconstructed. Yet this quack wants to jump straight to doing the full operation on a human? The only evidence of his operation on a rhesus monkey is a photograph. Conveniently, he finds peer-review a hindrance.

It’s so bizarre and crazy it seems like a hoax, but watching the Ted talk, thus nut seems to believe his own BS.

We don’t know anything about the patient, do we? In the photo he is standing on his own, so it is safe to say his quality of life is about to dramatically decrease (before his predictable death.)

The chance of success is 0. The thing about other bold medical advances is that they were performed successfully in animals before humans. For example, heart transplants were successfully completed in dogs before the first human transplant.

In this case, the only prior examples done in animals led to death, and no motor function. Head transplants have been done, but only to the point of barely keeping the brain alive for a brief time. Never has a spinal cord been demonstrated to have been reconstructed. Yet this quack wants to jump straight to doing the full operation on a human? The only evidence of his operation on a rhesus monkey is a photograph. Conveniently, he finds peer-review a hindrance.

It’s so bizarre and crazy it seems like a hoax, but watching the Ted talk, thus nut seems to believe his own BS.

I don't think that's the patient, because last time I had read about this doctor he was planning on using a patient who was a paralyzed from the neck down and had a pretty shitty quality of life and not much else to lose. He wasn't going to do the procedure on a walking human because that's clearly unethical. He's doing it on someone who's already hopeless.

I don't think that's the patient, because last time I had read about this doctor he was planning on using a patient who was a paralyzed from the neck down and had a pretty shitty quality of life and not much else to lose. He wasn't going to do the procedure on a walking human because that's clearly unethical. He's doing it on someone who's already hopeless.

That was a Russian patient, who will no longer be the guinea pig.

That begs the question, who will provide the biologically alive, fit body?

This is some Wolfenstein shit.
Screen_Shot_2017_06_14_at_11.24.50_AM.png

That was a Russian patient, who will no longer be the guinea pig.

That begs the question, who will provide the biologically alive, fit body?

Oh ok! I would still have to assume he would be picking a person of a similar nature. Wasn't he going to be using a recently deceased cadaver?

Oh ok! I would still have to assume he would be picking a person of a similar nature. Wasn't he going to be using a recently deceased cadaver?

That might be the PC way of putting it.

Realistically, the body would need to “match” the head in as many ways as possible to be the most viable. It would be carefully selected. And it would need to be biologically alive and functional, a cadaver from the morgue isn’t going to cut it. As far as I can see, this would mean having a donor human on an operating table and cutting their damn head off immediately before the transplant. It could be someone who is brain dead or in a coma, or it could be a healthy human.
There is a reason this would go down in China. The whole thing gives me the creeps.

"In theory, a disembodied head could survive in suspended animation, staying alive with blood from the donor body but incapable of controlling any bodily function—and in incredible pain, says Jerry Silver, a professor of neurosciences at Case Western Reserve University in Ohio who has spent his career seeking a cure for paralysis. The head will have a “miserable existence,” where it won’t be able to breathe or control its own heart rate—a fate far worse than being a quadriplegic. The head’s windpipe would be attached to a respirator, so it could be ventilated, and it could remain alive like that for days."

And this dude said "Fuck it, let's cut him up"

joker.gif

At one point, those guys were also saying washing your hands in between patients was ridiculous.

I have to imagine the doctor is aware of the possible negative outcomes and has discussed them with the patient. I wouldn't give the procedure a zero percent chance like @JohnnySagebrush thinks, but it's definitely zero adjacent.

That might be the PC way of putting it.

Realistically, the body would need to “match” the head in as many ways as possible to be the most viable. It would be carefully selected. And it would need to be biologically alive and functional, a cadaver from the morgue isn’t going to cut it. As far as I can see, this would mean having a donor human on an operating table and cutting their damn head off immediately before the transplant. It could be someone who is brain dead or in a coma, or it could be a healthy human.
There is a reason this would go down in China. The whole thing gives me the creeps.

I know it's China, but I don't think they're so barbaric that they're going to snatch sometime off the streets. I'm imagining that someone who is brain dead and going to be removed from life support already. I highly doubt it's coming from a living human.

Back