Famous BASE jumper dies in wingsuit jump.

afaik only Sherpas have been able to achieve this from the summit pyramid.

Cutting the body up is an interesting idea that might work (?), but what I understand is that the bodies are crudely hacked out of their icy graves with climbing axes. You would need heavy tools to cut up the body and the sawing would be strenuous, as you're going through layers of ice as well as bone and possibly frozen flesh. The locals would probably have a major objection to that treatment of bodies as well.

A wood saw cuts frozen bodies and ice pretty easily. I've done many frozen deer with a saw like this.
image_16343.jpg

He’s stupid because he was doing something that you didn’t like? That’s hating to me.

I didn't say he was stupid, I said I felt what he did was stupid which I further elaborated on as being a selfish, dangerous activity. If you feel that's me hating, then so be it.

A wood saw cuts frozen bodies and ice pretty easily. I've done many frozen deer with a saw like this.
image_16343.jpg
Now perform that same action at 25,000 feet of elevation with something that’s buried underneath a bunch of snow and ice while on limited rations, and then let me know how easy it is. The environment is the challenge here, not the act.

I didn't say he was stupid, I said I felt what he did was stupid which I further elaborated on as being a selfish, dangerous activity. If you feel that's me hating, then so be it.
i absolutely think you have a right to that opinion. Everyone has their own limits and their OWN view of what is a necessary risk and what is not.

My mom thinks it crazy to go on a track and do a race car day because indeed people do die doing that. She thinks it crazy to ride a bike on streets with cars. And so on and so on.

that is her right and ok to think.

You would probably think her views were to conservatve and risk adverse and just as you accept the the risks of MMA fighting and other contact sports and others do not, that is ok.

each person has to decide what risks are for them and, as I said prior, if you have family dependant on you, you need to give additional consideration to that.

In my opinion, it is a stupid game. He's (was) entitled to live that way, but I can't be sad for someone who put themselves in harms way like that. I don't think that's hating, that's just telling it like it is.

If you don't think the same way someone else does, it's hating to some people. His jumping off mountains doesn't further the human race anymore than someone climbing a mountain or jumping off a bridge. Daredevils do it to get their bodies to produce the drugs they crave so they are pretty much the same as drug addicts.

We're not talking about combat sports.

We're talking about jumping off something from very high up.

We all participate in things in life where there is inherent danger, like driving, drinking, flying etc. even fighting MMA, but these things are not comparable to what this man did.
Many people appreciate the pursuit of flight as a valiant quest, just as legitimate as the pursuit of martial arts. Your callous remarks about stupid games jumping off a something very high is about as ignorant as someone trying to discount mma as just cage fighting.

If you don't think the same way someone else does, it's hating to some people. His jumping off mountains doesn't further the human race anymore than someone climbing a mountain or jumping off a bridge. Daredevils do it to get their bodies to produce the drugs they crave so they are pretty much the same as drug addicts.

that may be so, but I don't think that way - I fully realize people think differently from I, but I don't chalk differences of opinion up to 'hating'.

It's real easy to confuse opinion with judgment.

You pack of handsome, level-headed devils.

Many people appreciate the pursuit of flight as a valiant quest, just as legitimate as the pursuit of martial arts. Your callous remarks about stupid games jumping off a something very high is about as ignorant as someone trying to discount mma as just cage fighting.

I can see we're not on the same page, which is fine. I simply don't agree with you yet you're entitled to your opinion.

Why don't you take a flying leap. FUCCCERRRR!!

I can see we're not on the same page, which is fine. I simply don't agree with you yet you're entitled to your opinion.
Right on. It just bothers me when people act like because someone died doing an extreme sport that gives them the green light to be a piece of shit and post comments gloating about how stupid their sport is. Keep it classy.

Now perform that same action at 25,000 feet of elevation with something that’s buried underneath a bunch of snow and ice while on limited rations, and then let me know how easy it is. The environment is the challenge here, not the act.

It's always cold at that altitude. The warmest temperature ever recorded was 3 degrees Fahrenheit. Nothing freezing and thawing. They get covered in snow but the snow blows off in the high winds.
Everest-Summit-Temperature.png

It's always cold at that altitude. The warmest temperature ever recorded was 3 degrees Fahrenheit. Nothing freezing and thawing. They get covered in snow but the snow blows off in the high winds.
Everest-Summit-Temperature.png
The snow also blows on in high winds, covering the deceased. It then packs down over time, freezing into thick ice.

Suicidal is the wrong word TS. They don't want to die, they simply are not afraid to die as a consequence of doing the things they love.

There's more to it than that... they get a thrill from the danger, otherwise these people's interest wouldn't all revolve around dangerous things.

Reminds of that guy (different sport, I know) that free climbed El Capitan over the summer. Watching the video still makes me nauseous.

Right on. It just bothers me when people act like because someone died doing an extreme sport that gives them the green light to be a piece of shit and post comments gloating about how stupid their sport is. Keep it classy.

Sorry you can't accept how I feel about it, have a good day.

There's more to it than that... they get a thrill from the danger, otherwise these people's interest wouldn't all revolve around dangerous things.
Oh without a doubt the fear or the risk is a big part of it.

I wish I could find that "Science of Adrenalin" episode I spoke up thread.

They wired up the heads of different people and subjected them to various stimuli. They showed them videos of people walking tight ropes, jumping off cliffs, surfing, etc, etc.

The risk adverse people would almost be having a heart attack with any stimulus. Hearts racing, mind firing. The risk takers sat there as if dead. Almost bored the more of a risk taker they tested.

What they determined is that certain people who tend to be risk takers tend to walk thru normal life never feeling emotional highs and that can lead to some feeling bored, unfulfilled or even dead inside. They NEED to experience heightened risk to just FEEL like others feel.

They predicted this was a genetic trait that developed over millions of years of evolution with a small percentage of society as the most successful societies would be the ones who pushed the boundaries. Found new territory and took risks. But not everyone in a society can be a risk taker and in fact most cannot and should not. Most in society need to be risk adverse and stay home and nest and take care of family and all the stuff at home while others sail off into the unknown (often violent unknown) to try and find a better life for all.

It completely made sense.

They also said that serial entrepreneurs seem to be a way that a lot of these risk takers find an outlet without taking as much physical risk. They studied the brains of many entrepreneurs and found they have a similar response to stimuli and tend to require more risk or more stimulus to get a similar reaction.

Back