Sage Northcutt is now 3-0 in the lightweight division

I know sherdog is hating on him because they're jealous of his alpha genetics and can-do attitude, but i really think he looked amazing on saturday, and I think he's gonna be the next big superstar the UFC gets in terms of pay per views.

I feel like at this rate if he gets a 4 fight win streak he'll get a title shot within the next 2 years.. agree or disagree?

I think he'll definitely get a title shot and i don't think he'll win it, but I actually think we're going to see him become worse. He was a guy with decent karate, but he didn't understand MMA range to well, so he was trying to jam side kicks from a long range, meaning his foot would just tap the opponent and do nothing.

When he was at Tristar that was a perfect fit, a gym that could give him a good jab to go with his karate and already impressive wrestling. Training with guys like Rory MacDonald and GSP would have done wonders for him, unfortunately due to some issues his dad had with them he's now at Team Alpha Male and i think that's an awful place for him.

Partly because of the bro douche atmosphere but partly because they have no clue how to effectively train a striker. While Cody has decent boxing everyone else at that gym just wings an overhand and shoots for a takedown - I think we'll see him turn into a one dimensional wrestler and eventually move away from his karate technique. The other issue i think we'll see him have is that there aren't really many high level bigger guys at that gym, they're all floating around the 135 -145 range (the most notable dudes at least) - he needs to be at a gym where he can get his ass whooped in order to grow more as a fighter.

I really like him, he seems like a nice, well spoken guy with a lot of respect and the willingness to learn, and i don't think he'll become great at that gym.

It's a shame that fans are lashing out against him, because it's really not him thats the issue, its the UFC for pushing him and trying to make him out like he's something he's not.

He's not a fighter, all of the guys he's beat before Saturday have been cut from the UFC and the one he beat on Saturday probably will too. The guys in the UFC he has beat have a combined UFC record of 2-9.

lightweight......
Cm4XXsdUEAACzys.jpg 2883C76A00000578-0-image-a-27_1431260171254.jpg
with more kilocalories in a day, he could fight in hws....lightweights<TheWire1>

And who has he beat?

Francisco Trevino (immediately cut after the fight)
Cody Pfister (cut one fight later)
Enrique Marin (immediately cut after the fight)
Michel Quinones (is going to be cut)

So the prior 3 guys he beat were immediately released (or released one fight later) and the guy he just beat is also going to be cut (and he could only take him to a decision even though the guy is 1/2 the athlete).

The trend here is to feed Sage the worst guys in the division while he builds up his confidence and figures out what kind of fighter he is (he is stuck between being an outfighter and a boxer-puncher, doesn't have the skillset to be either currently).

After a few years I just don't see it; you have to give him someone fringe top 20 to at least to make him relevant and from looking at UFC fighter roster you really have to scrape the bottom range to find guys for him to beat (i.e. #40+).

Sage still loves you

And who has he beat?

Francisco Trevino (immediately cut after the fight)
Cody Pfister (cut one fight later)
Enrique Marin (immediately cut after the fight)
Michel Quinones (is going to be cut)

So the prior 3 guys he beat were immediately released (or released one fight later) and the guy he just beat is also going to be cut (and he could only take him to a decision even though the guy is 1/2 the athlete).

The trend here is to feed Sage the worst guys in the division while he builds up his confidence and figures out what kind of fighter he is (he is stuck between being an outfighter and a boxer-puncher, doesn't have the skillset to be either currently).

After a few years I just don't see it; you have to give him someone fringe top 20 to at least to make him relevant and from looking at UFC fighter roster you really have to scrape the bottom range to find guys for him to beat (i.e. #40+).
This. He has been beating nobodies. Trevino and Pfister looked like they never step foot in a gym in their lives or done any kind of physical training.

He looks great but aside from his natural abilities (speed, strength, explosiveness) I don’t think he has the skills to become a great fighter. Certainly doesn’t help that he can’t get out of daddy’s wing.

This is the next big superstar:
20140204113030_erick_silva.JPG

He is still young and improving. Good prospect.
Give the kiddo some time.

Too young, like in younger than youth itself

We finally get ONE decent young promising prospect that we can be hyped up for after all the Northcutt debacle and you guys want to throw him directly to the wolves!!

And btw did i say that he's YOUNG ??

Physicality and being able to train at top camps with already having a good background means it comes down to how long it takes for him to refine technique. He should be facing lower level fighters to get better. Doesn't matter how many he beats, keep feeding them to him, and he'll slowly get better while no one knows when or if he takes the next step.

Also a good look to get UFC exposure for a long time before facing top guys. Easier to become a star.

Too young, like in younger than youth itself

We finally get ONE decent young promising prospect that we can be hyped up for after all the Northcutt debacle and you guys want to throw him directly to the wolves!!

And btw did i say that he's YOUNG ??
tumblr_nh02j8AMr41tr18xoo1_400.gif

he's 20 dude..

Literally none of us can say anything yet.

He's just a baby In this game.

He should be getting easy / buildup fights for the forseeable future

He was 18 when he got in the UFC, he's 21 now - it's going on 3 years and he's not some newbie who picked up fighting for the first-time, he's an elite athlete with combat sports training going back to his childhood.

There are a lot of talented guys who are 20-21 that have shown far more potential then Sage; doesn't mean Sage "sucks" or anything along those lines but the UFC had it in their heads that this guy could be a Super Star when he's more of a novelty at this stage. Doesn't mean he can't evolve/improve but the changes he's made in regards to style/camp haven't really paid any dividends.

This isn't boxing, you just can't keep feeding him guys that are smaller then him and worse athletes and expect people to think he's some world beater. The UFC has invested a lot of money in him so they'll keep feeding him low-level guys but at what point does he have to fight someone like Barbarena again that isn't even top 15 and just murders him?

PS I actually think Sage is a really nice guy and insanely entertaining; they should a reality show with him and Woodley living together as roommates, comedy gold! Think he gets a lot of hate because clearly he's been fortunate enough to live a blessed life but that's no reason to hate on him.

It's time for Sage vs BJ Penn.

Would be hilarious watching Sage toy with BJ and give him another loss.

He was 18 when he got in the UFC, he's 21 now - it's going on 3 years and he's not some newbie who picked up fighting for the first-time, he's an elite athlete with combat sports training going back to his childhood.

There are a lot of talented guys who are 20-21 that have shown far more potential then Sage; doesn't mean Sage "sucks" or anything along those lines but the UFC had it in their heads that this guy could be a Super Star when he's more of a novelty at this stage. Doesn't mean he can't evolve/improve but the changes he's made in regards to style/camp haven't really paid any dividends.

This isn't boxing, you just can't keep feeding him guys that are smaller then him and worse athletes and expect people to think he's some world beater. The UFC has invested a lot of money in him so they'll keep feeding him low-level guys but at what point does he have to fight someone like Barbarena again that isn't even top 15 and just murders him?

PS I actually think Sage is a really nice guy and insanely entertaining; they should a reality show with him and Woodley living together as roommates, comedy gold! Think he gets a lot of hate because clearly he's been fortunate enough to live a blessed life but that's no reason to hate on him.
this was quite painful to read

honestly, he looked good despite his opponent mostly running away in that fight

shit on him all you want, but he is making strides. stand up looked tight and his timing on the takedowns was very good. nothing wrong with bringing a guy along slowly either, i've never understood why the UFC feels the need to overmatch young fighters.

Still has time to get better, but probably needs to go to a better camp, with more variety of fighters at least his own size.

Back