So is The Biggest Loser officially done?

When you consider that a consistent 20 lbs a week would be 80 pounds in a month, you realize that's actually a shitload of weight.

I had a friend who weight 365 lbs. He was able to lose 100 lbs through diet and cycling. It took him six months to do it though, and even that is considered pretty fast to lose a hundred pounds, even for a heavy person. That's 16 pounds a month.

Yes thats true but thats not what i said/meant.. Its fairly normal for an obese person to lose a huge amount within the first week or two of diet and exercise.. and then for it to slow down but still be well above the 2lb a week range. I watched this show ages ago for like a season or two and it was a regular thing..

Losing 20lb week after week is probably not healthy but i didn't see that on the couple of seasons i watched.

Yes thats true but thats not what i said/meant.. Its fairly normal for an obese person to lose a huge amount within the first week or two of diet and exercise.. and then for it to slow down but still be well above the 2lb a week range. I watched this show ages ago for like a season or two and it was a regular thing..

Losing 20lb week after week is probably not healthy but i didn't see that on the couple of seasons i watched.

I'm sure some of that 20 lbs is water weight. It has to be.

But I'd still be curious to know how many fat people were able to replicate that kind of loss at home.

If you're 300 pounds and your metabolism is running so slowly that it requires 2 hours of exercise a day and a 1000 calorie diet to lose weight, then that is a serious problem.

It's not as simple as just saying, "Well workout two hours a day and eat 1000 calories!"

No idea if that's in the study.. but i find it very hard to believe that the only way you can lose weight at 300lb.. is to eat only 1k cal and work out 2hrs a day

This is were the problem is because you also have studies saying that long term diets do not wreck your metabolism and it recovers quite quickly

Any competent medical professional will tell you that there are healthy, and unhealthy, ways to lose weight.
a lot of the contestants on that show wanted an easy way out a quick way out and got it, of course there's healthy and un healthy but....the contestants know the risks...they got what they wanted

This is were the problem is because you also have studies saying that long term diets do not wreck your metabolism and it recovers quite quickly

It may depend on qualities of the long-term diet.

Like I said, on the show, they had these people regularly eating 1200 calories a day, with four to six hours of exercise per day. The problem there is, once you stop losing weight, where do you go? It's not really reasonable to increase the exercise anymore . . . and it's also not really reasonable to go down any farther with the calories. The trainers basically had them redlining their weight loss from the very beginning.

But I'd still be curious to know how many fat people were able to replicate that kind of loss at home.
I used to be extremely overweight and in the first few months 10's and twenty's weeks were not uncommon. especially going from sodas and coffees to water and chips to leafy greens I mean....so much body waste and not so much fat loss in the beginning

If you are extremely obese, it would not be hard for anyone to lose that first twenty.

It’s the taking off more and more that contunously gets harder.

If you took one of those 600lb people from those other shows and only fed them heathly food at say 1500 calories per day and made them only drink water,unsweetened tea and black coffee I’d bet every last one of them would shed 20+ on the first week and that would be without even working out.

The bigger you are the less that 20lbs represents as a percentage of your weight.

20lbs for a 600lb person is equivalent to around 6lbs for a 200lber

What was some of the criticism towards the show? I actually watched this show almost every season. It was a good show, first I've heard of issues from contestants on it. I knew some of the shit was extreme, but didn't think it affected them negatively in the long run.

What was some of the criticism towards the show? I actually watched this show almost every season. It was a good show, first I've heard of issues from contestants on it. I knew some of the shit was extreme, but didn't think it affected them negatively in the long run.

I can see it having some psychological negative affects.

They know they are fat fucks, on the show they see they don’t have to be, but off the show they are weak minded with no willpower and go into depression about not having the strength to stay skinny and eat more to cope.

An interesting article with more specifics on the contestants' metabolic crash:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

@GearSolidMetal @mjmj @90 50

One excerpt:

The results, the researchers said, were stunning. They showed just how hard the body fights back against weight loss.

“It is frightening and amazing,” said Dr. Hall, an expert on metabolism at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, which is part of the National Institutes of Health. “I am just blown away.”

It has to do with resting metabolism, which determines how many calories a person burns when at rest. When the show began, the contestants, though hugely overweight, had normal metabolisms for their size, meaning they were burning a normal number of calories for people of their weight. When it ended, their metabolisms had slowed radically and their bodies were not burning enough calories to maintain their thinner sizes.

Researchers knew that just about anyone who deliberately loses weight — even if they start at a normal weight or even underweight — will have a slower metabolism when the diet ends. So they were not surprised to see that “The Biggest Loser” contestants had slow metabolisms when the show ended.

What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight.

Last edited by a moderator:

There has been lots of criticism, especially from previous contestants. Allegations of crash dieting instead of healthy dieting, prescription of illegal weight loss substances like Ephedra, the coaches encouraging contestants to lose water weight to pump their numbers up even though everyone agreed not to do that, lasting negative physical effects from the extreme weight loss methods, contestants' injuries being ignored by medical staff, psychological abuse whenever a contestant would question something. . . All kinds of shit.

I read about half that article. They all stopped working out when they went home and wonder why their metabolism slowed down.

Jesus fuck people.

Where does it say they stopped working out?

From reading that article, it sounds like these people didn't work out as much as they said they did and ate much more than they said they did.

You posted it I assumed you read it. Read it again

From reading that article, it sounds like these people didn't work out as much as they said they did and ate much more than they said they did.

Y'all will have to post excerpts because I'm not seeing anything to indicate that they went home and stopped exercising, or were somehow dishonest in reporting the amount of exercise they were doing.

Y'all will have to post excerpts because I'm not seeing anything to indicate that they went home and stopped exercising, or were somehow dishonest in reporting the amount of exercise they were doing.

I didn't say they stopped exercising. Honestly, that article was written in a manner that made me feel like the author was ultimately prescribing that being obese is ok because it's a disease they have no control over, yet they described in multiple scenarios about binge eating and how much of struggle it was to not over eat or not be motivated.

I've been there - people lie or at least are not truthful to themselves. Doing what it takes to keep fit is not easy for most people. Having to rely on yourself to be strict on what you put into your body as well as how you use your body is very tough, especially as you get older. These people were fat most of their lives and spent weeks on a show where their trainers were holding them accountable. If they didn't have that motivation after all was said and done, they were only truly setting themselves up for failure. There are people who have diseases that lead to obesity in spite of a decent will power. But the truth is, most people don't have the will power and lie to themselves about what they're actually ingesting and how much they work out.

It Litterely says that the people said they didn’t have the time to work out and or couldn’t afford gym memberships etc.

So yes lack of will power. Didn’t make the time to at least walk 30 mins a day and spent money on binge treats instead of a gym membership.

That's a good question. Hell, I'd just like to know what percentage of the contestants period actually kept the weight off.

Here's something interesting from Wikipedia:

In 2016, the results of a long term study by the US National Institute of Health (NIH) were released that documented the weight gain and loss of contestants in Season 8, which aired in 2009. The study found that most of the 16 contestants regained their weight, and in some case gained more than before they entered the contest. Their metabolisms had slowed to the point where they were burning hundreds of calories a day less than other people of their new, reduced, size. The New York Times reported: "What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover... It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight." The article quoted Dr. Michael Rosenbaum who said, "The difficulty in keeping weight off reflects biology, not a pathological lack of willpower."

After the study results were revealed, former contestants demanded NBC cancel the show.

If they are burning less calories than other people they simply need to eat less than other people and/or do more exercise. What is the issue exactly?

Back